Where does uconn bball rank in your life? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Where does uconn bball rank in your life?

What do you care about the most?

• Uconn bball men/women

Votes: 258 91.2%
  • Your favorite football team

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Favorite baseball team

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Fantasy football

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • College football

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Hockey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your golf game

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Pro bball

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I think it’s easier to put them into tiers for me.

UConn (anything really, but obviously basketball tops the list, baseball not far behind) has such an emotional hold over me, I plan my life around their game days. I get stressful butterflies when watching them. It tugs at my innards, on a deep emotional level, in a way not every sport does.

They’re clearly in the top tier. The teams I feel similarly emotional about, where I’ll plan my life around their games and have that guttural, emotional feel while watching them are the US and Ukraine national soccer teams.

Probably because all three of those are linked to me beyond “rooting for laundry.” I’m from Connecticut. I went to UConn. I feel their successes and failures at incredibly personal levels. And of course, I’m American. We have that chip on our shoulder in soccer, and I want us to be successful more than anything. That said, if there was ever a WC final between the US and Ukraine, I’d root for Ukraine. That’s where my family’s from, and even though I’ve never been (my mother’s already promised my brothers and I a trip once the war’s won) and don’t speak the language, it’s again a huge part of my identity.

The Yankees are similarly important to me, but I think the sheer number of games calms the emotional highs and lows (until the playoffs - then it’s firmly in that top tier).

After that, it’s teams I root for and teams I obviously want to succeed more than just about anything, but I’ll miss the occasional game (or many games in the case of hockey and NBA, don’t really watch eithe regular season) or won’t let losses sting me nearly as deep. This would be the Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and Man City. Giants definitely lead the tier. Although I fully get sucked in when any of those teams make the playoffs.

If you didn’t bother reading that whole essay this unintentionally became, I don’t blame you. This is the tl; dr ranking based on how much of an emotional impact the wins and losses have on my life:

Tier 1 (gargantuan impact)
1. UConn men’s basketball
2. Ukraine NT
3. USMNT
4. UConn baseball

Tier 2 (big impact)
5. Yankees

Tier 3 (some impact)
6. Giants
7. Man City
8. Rangers
9. Knicks

Reaction Score
NY Giants
UConn men
Mets
College lacrosse
Knicks
UConn football
UConn baseball/hockey/soccer
UConn women

Reaction Score
UConn bball and it's not close. Huge gap, fball. Nothing really else, unless there is a passing interest with someone about to join the 3000 hit club/500 HR or some interesting stat like everyone in the American East having a chance to finish above .500 though the Yankees and Sox recent slump puts that in jeopardy and I'll keep a watch on those things. Or world cup football.

But it's gotten to the point where if college sports is screwed with any more, I might just give up on it. This most recent ACC move really pushed me closer, very very close and its partially because UConn wasn't involved but also just because it makes ZERO sense. If we reach a point where UConn is totally left out of the big boys club I won't even bother anymore and won't look back. There is still a glimmer of hope but if that goes away...

General rumblings I have seen, like around reddit and similar places, people think these most recent moves over the past year, starting with UCLA/USC are nuts and make no sense/aren't appealing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
See @Jaydumo20 this example, even within our minuscule sample size of BY members, I feel like alums and non-alums will poll quote differently. I doubt this guy went to UConn.
Correct, I did not attend UConn, went to CCSU. Huge fan of the basketball team going back to the late 80's. I think my post made it seem I don't like the football team, not true, just can't call myself a fan like I am with the UConn basketball team or say the Yankees. I do watch the football team when they are on and I have nothing else to do. I never miss a basketball game.

Reaction Score
I’ce been a UConn basketball fan more than anything for most of my life. I’ve been an addict since my first game at the Field House as a kid in 1984.

However, I’m more emotionally invested in football the last 10 years. It is so critical that we have a winning football program for the survival of our AD overall, that I can’t seem to keep my mind off football. It’s developed an absolute passion for the team and the sport overall. The more that passion evolves, the more desperate I become about realignment.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1. UConn basketball
1a. UConn football
2. Juventus (Italian soccer team)
4. NY Jets
5. Rest of UConn sports teams

Reaction Score
I see a couple of posts regarding golf being a piece, as in their own golf game. I was thinking along the lines of “watching” in my list but would agree my golf game would jump up on that list no doubt. In many golf trips to Myrtle, Ocean City, Virginia, Plymouth for late fall or early spring my plans always were around any UConn games during the stay and play. If we were playing 36 a day but UConn had an afternoon game on a weekend I was only playing 18, no chance they could talk me into 36. About 4 years in a row in Ocean City the manager and bar tenders at The Green Turtle were prepared for the “UConn guys” for weekend games, had our tables and large screen. It was a well known Terps bar but they welcomed us with open arms and full fridges.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
1. UConn basketball
2. Michigan football

Then everything else. I mostly watch the NFL and NBA for fun.

Reaction Score
I see a couple of posts regarding golf being a piece, as in their own golf game. I was thinking along the lines of “watching” in my list but would agree my golf game would jump up on that list no doubt. In many golf trips to Myrtle, Ocean City, Virginia, Plymouth for late fall or early spring my plans always were around any UConn games during the stay and play. If we were playing 36 a day but UConn had an afternoon game on a weekend I was only playing 18, no chance they could talk me into 36. About 4 years in a row in Ocean City the manager and bar tenders at The Green Turtle were prepared for the “UConn guys” for weekend games, had our tables and large screen. It was a well known Terps bar but they welcomed us with open arms and full fridges.
The original or the sports bar and grille?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
1. My dawg
2. UConn hoops
3. My home-made Cajun chicken pasta.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
1. UConn basketball
2. UConn football
3. Fantasy football
4. Pirates baseball

I’m in protest of my Yankees until they fire Brian Cashman, started watching the Pirates ~2 years ago.

Reaction Score
1. UConn basketball
2. UConn football
3. Fantasy football
4. Pirates baseball

I’m in protest of my Yankees until they fire Brian Cashman, started watching the Pirates ~2 years ago.
They will fire Boone and keep Cashman for a few more years I'm sure. Both NY baseball teams spent a ton of foolish $$$

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I’d rather play golf than watch anything but a UConn game or Pats game. Wouldn’t miss Red Sox playoff games either.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
4. Pirates baseball

I grew up a Mets fan starting in '64, so I'm used to a certain level of masochism when it comes to baseball rooting interests. And I have an excuse for following the Pirates - I've been living here awhile. Why you'd choose to follow the Pirates after being a Yankees fan implies there's something very, very wrong with you.:p

fwiw, Yankees should trade for Bednar (i'm strongly in favor of selling high as I think he's close to finished as an elite reliever).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I grew up a Mets fan starting in '64, so I'm used to a certain level of masochism when it comes to baseball rooting interests. And I have an excuse for following the Pirates - I've been living here awhile. Why you'd choose to follow the Pirates after being a Yankees fan implies there's something very, very wrong with you.:p

fwiw, Yankees should trade for Bednar (i'm strongly in favor of selling high as I think he's close to finished as an elite reliever).
Oh I’ve got issues.

But I find the Pirates a lot of fun to listen to and watch. I had a feeling they’d be in the wildcard hunt this year, but Cruz going down and the pitching wavering killed that. I hope they keep some of the younger position players and improve pitching. Bednar to the Yankees? Clean shaven!? No!

Reaction Score
The original or the sports bar and grille?
The original up on Coastal Hgwy not far from the DE border. Always stayed up that way as we played both in Ocean City and DE.. Was a fun place they enjoyed our passion for the Huskies, and cocktails (good tippers and fun people are remembered). The 2nd year we stayed further away with 8 guys the manager sent us a limo to make sure we came up, free. Big Jets fan from LI..

Reaction Score
The original up on Coastal Hgwy not far from the DE border. Always stayed up that way as we played both in Ocean City and DE.. Was a fun place they enjoyed our passion for the Huskies, and cocktails (good tippers and fun people are remembered). The 2nd year we stayed further away with 8 guys the manager sent us a limo to make sure we came up, free. Big Jets fan from LI..
I'm about 15-20 minutes away depending on time of year

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't really watch any sports other than UConn basketball.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
If you are a Boneyarder and UConn is not #1 then must be a PC fan.

Reaction Score
I'm about 15-20 minutes away depending on time of year

Nice area thinking about DE coast for retirement myself. Is The Turtle still open and a big Terps spot?

Kirby’s also a favorite one year turned out to be the Kemba NC year saw the Cincy tourney game there.

Lombardi’s good food stop as well.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom