When was the last time Cal developed an player? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When was the last time Cal developed an player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tyson Chandler is an NBA body. Cauley-Stein will get thrown around like a rag doll playing against true NBA players like Dwight Howard and DeMarcus Cousins. He has little strength and he has one strong suit: defense. He can't score to save his life, has no post moves, and is scary with the ball in his hands.

Reaction Score
This is such a dumb argument... The players come in as potential lottery picks, buy into his system, become household names, and then become lottery picks.

You are a liar if you wouldn't want some one and done guys here. We would've taken Stone and Durant or any of the Kentucky one and doners in an absolute heartbeat. Nobody rips on JC for not "developing" Drummond. But we love to claim Drummond as a UConn alum, right?

Reaction Score
This is such a dumb argument... The players come in as potential lottery picks, buy into his system, become household names, and then become lottery picks.

You are a liar if you wouldn't want some one and done guys here. We would've taken Stone and Durant or any of the Kentucky one and doners in an absolute heartbeat. Nobody rips on JC for not "developing" Drummond. But we love to claim Drummond as a UConn alum, right?

Yeah, sure I would take a one and done. I just don't prefer them. I like getting the players that take a year or two to develop and stay all four years. Take Frank Kaminsky for example. He started two games through his first two years. Now as a senior, he's POY. Those are the kinds of players I want to come to UConn.

Reaction Score
Tyson Chandler is an NBA body. Cauley-Stein will get thrown around like a rag doll playing against true NBA players like Dwight Howard and DeMarcus Cousins. He has little strength and he has one strong suit: defense. He can't score to save his life, has no post moves, and is scary with the ball in his hands.

Chandler is 32 years old. Cauley-Stein was born in 1993, is 7 ft, and runs the court like a deer. He will add weight and develop.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
What's he good at? Being 7 feet and athletic?

You guys crack me up. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Cauley-Stein has tremendous tools for a modern-day NBA big man, standing over 7-feet in shoes, with a 7-2 wingspan, and a 240 pound frame. He'll be one of the most athletically gifted big men in the NBA right off the bat, as he runs the court like a track star, and is incredibly fluid, agile, quick and explosive.

Defensively is where he has the chance to be a real game-changer at the NBA level. He legitimately guarded five positions for Kentucky this season, showing incredible versatility and agility covering ground on the perimeter and staying in front of players much smaller than him. His exceptionally quick feet give him the ability to switch seamlessly on pick and rolls, and he does a great job of contesting shots on the perimeter or recovering into the paint and offering rim protection. Cauley-Stein averaged a terrific 3.6 blocks and 1.8 steals per-40 minutes over the course of his career at Kentucky, showing outstanding instincts for forcing turnovers.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3WjL7EFG1
http://www.draftexpress.com

Reaction Score
Players who can't score have a
I can't tell whether your problem is that you don't watch college basketball, the NBA, or both.

I watch about 10 college basketball every week. I hardly ever watch NBA. But I've seen enough to decide that I don't see Cauley-Stein making anywhere close to a good NBA player.

Reaction Score
WCS will be a lottery pick and is a modern NBA big man... He would be fantastic on a team that plays the pick and roll game and needs a rim protector and rebounder.

Reaction Score

I watch about 10 college basketball every week. I hardly ever watch NBA. But I've seen enough to decide that I don't see Cauley-Stein making anywhere close to a good NBA player.

Thats not what you said though. You said he wouldn't be an NBA player at all and would be in the D League.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

OK, so you don't watch the NBA. Got it.

He's not a good offensive player, and never will be. But neither are DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler. If you can use your explosive leaping ability to offensive rebound/put back/finish in traffic and you can can finish the pick & roll, and you're a plus defender and rebounder (WCS does need to improve his defensive rebounding) then you don't just have a role in the NBA in 2015 -- you're a star. It's a new day, Rip Van Winkle.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thats not what you said though. You said he wouldn't be an NBA player at all and would be in the D League.
I'm going to make a prediction and I watch a TON of CBB and NBA and have for over 40 years.
WCS has the body and physical tools to be an NBAer - most anyone over 6'11" with any athleticism and who has played the game for a while has a chance BUT if you lack an offensive game beyond stuffing lobs - you are going to struggle lasting more than a couple of years. For the most part, all the players in the NBA are physical phenoms and can jump and block shots. Scoring is a premium with the inside game - he doesnt have the skill set to be a 3, not strong enough and offensively skilled enough to be a 4 in the league. It depends on how fast he bulks up and vastly improves his offensive game - something the Squid has not helped with at all.

Reaction Score
WCS will be a lottery pick and is a modern NBA big man... He would be fantastic on a team that plays the pick and roll game and needs a rim protector and rebounder.

Let's be honest, do you see Cauley-Stein stopping true NBA centers like DeMarcus Cousins or Dwight Howard.
OK, so you don't watch the NBA. Got it.

He's not a good offensive player, and never will be. But neither are DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler. If you can use your explosive leaping ability to offensive rebound/put back/finish in traffic and you can can finish the pick & roll, and you're a plus defender and rebounder (WCS does need to improve his defensive rebounding) then you don't just have a role in the NBA in 2015 -- you're a star. It's a new day, Rip Van Winkle.

Woah, woah. So you're telling me Cauley-Stein can a DeAndre Jordan type player? Jordan is one of the biggest freak athletes I've seen. I could see Cauley-Stein being a Kendrick Perkins type player and that's about it.

Reaction Score
I'm going to make a prediction and I watch a TON of CBB and NBA and have for over 40 years.
WCS has the body and physical tools to be an NBAer - most anyone over 6'11" with any athleticism and who has played the game for a while has a chance BUT if you lack an offensive game beyond stuffing lobs - you are going to struggle lasting more than a couple of years. For the most part, all the players in the NBA are physical phenoms and can jump and block shots. Scoring is a premium with the inside game - he doesnt have the skill set to be a 3, not strong enough and offensively skilled enough to be a 4 in the league. It depends on how fast he bulks up and vastly improves his offensive game - something the Squid has not helped with at all.

Yes, yes, yes, yes. That's what I'm saying. If you can't score, which he can't, you won't be a good NBA player. Simple as that.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You guys crack me up. You honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Cauley-Stein has tremendous tools for a modern-day NBA big man, standing over 7-feet in shoes, with a 7-2 wingspan, and a 240 pound frame. He'll be one of the most athletically gifted big men in the NBA right off the bat, as he runs the court like a track star, and is incredibly fluid, agile, quick and explosive.

Defensively is where he has the chance to be a real game-changer at the NBA level. He legitimately guarded five positions for Kentucky this season, showing incredible versatility and agility covering ground on the perimeter and staying in front of players much smaller than him. His exceptionally quick feet give him the ability to switch seamlessly on pick and rolls, and he does a great job of contesting shots on the perimeter or recovering into the paint and offering rim protection. Cauley-Stein averaged a terrific 3.6 blocks and 1.8 steals per-40 minutes over the course of his career at Kentucky, showing outstanding instincts for forcing turnovers.

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3WjL7EFG1
http://www.draftexpress.com
So a poor mans tyson chandler if that? No crap he can guard 1-5. He has not improved since his freshman year. No offensive moves. What you posted is what I said. I should've put something defensively about him

Reaction Score

I am no Calapari fan, but i'm constantly seeing a knock on his ability to "develop" players. How's PN & KF development going?

Reaction Score
I am no Calapari fan, but i'm constantly seeing a knock on his ability to "develop" players. How's PN & KF development going?

You can't deny PN and KF have improved since their freshman years. So yes they have developed. As someone said earlier, Cauley-Stein has not gotten much better since his freshman year.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest, do you see Cauley-Stein stopping true NBA centers like DeMarcus Cousins or Dwight Howard.

Woah, woah. So you're telling me Cauley-Stein can a DeAndre Jordan type player? Jordan is one of the biggest freak athletes I've seen. I could see Cauley-Stein being a Kendrick Perkins type player and that's about it.

That would be a pretty solid player and yield a LONG NBA career. Perkins was a beast for the Celtics the year they won the title. So you went from saying there is no way he would make it in the NBA and would be a D Leaguer to comparing him to a guy who has been in the NBA for 14 years?

pj

Reaction Score
WTF are you talking about?

Cal is a coach, he does not play

Even if by accident, he was spot on. Calipari is by no means NBA ready. Maybe after another 50 years of college coaching experience he could get a talented NBA team to the playoffs.

Reaction Score
That would be a pretty solid player and yield a LONG NBA career. Perkins was a beast for the Celtics the year they won the title. So you went from saying there is no way he would make it in the NBA and would be a D Leaguer to comparing him to a guy who has been in the NBA for 14 years?

I said at best he could be like Perkins who is currently playing 16 minutes per game and averaging 3 points. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Cauley-Stein in the D-League.

Reaction Score
JimOllie said:
Yes, yes, yes, yes. That's what I'm saying. If you can't score, which he can't, you won't be a good NBA player. Simple as that.

It's amazing to me that you admit you don't watch the NBA, your comparisons to current players are laughably nonsensical (Willie Caulie Stein and Kendrick Perkins???) and yet you're going to tell people how this kid is going to fare at the NBA level.

And your point about scoring honestly reads like a parody of someone trying to sound like he had no idea what he's talking about.

Reaction Score
JimOllie said:
You can't deny PN and KF have improved since their freshman years. So yes they have developed. As someone said earlier, Cauley-Stein has not gotten much better since his freshman year.

Good lord it just gets crazier.

Reaction Score
It's amazing to me that you admit you don't watch the NBA, your comparisons to current players are laughably nonsensical (Willie Caulie Stein and Kendrick Perkins???) and yet you're going to tell people how this kid is going to fare at the NBA level.

And your point about scoring honestly reads like a parody of someone trying to sound like he had no idea what he's talking about.

I just know that Perkins can't score and plays good defense which is exactly what Cauley-Stein does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom