When losses don’t draw a reaction | Page 4 | The Boneyard

When losses don’t draw a reaction

Reaction Score
Agree about tonight. Disagree about basically all the other hysterical criticism people here have of JA. Think I stick up for him a lot because he’s answered the bell for us when he could’ve left even though he hasn’t lived up to expectations (although he’s been our best player for 3 years). I’m just dumbfounded that he’s the constant scapegoat yet Hurley cannot be criticized at all.
Our fan base sucks. For a state with nothing else going on, they sure are a demanding lot.

I'm sure there's a not insignificant group of people who don't even want him to succeed so they can continue to bitch.

You must not of got the memo...Daniel S. Hurley flips programs like real estate investors flipped houses in the early 2000's! C'MONN!

Reaction Score
I call BS. How in the flipping hell did you not turn off the Arkansas or Temple games last year???
I completely blocked the Arkansas game from my memory until I saw this. That was miserable. They made us look D3! Thanks for that.

Reaction Score
Hurley was and is our only hope at reclaiming any semblance of our former glory. if he gets canned before his contract is up no one will take the job that's actually capable of turning things around.
I think we're going to be fine but don't think people aren't going to start screaming if we're not

Reaction Score
While I don't disagree, I'm not really into 'lines in the sand'. For example, if, in year three, we were trending hard, with a strong incoming class, I could handle an NIT run.
That would mean we would have missed the tournament for 7 straight years?!??!!

Reaction Score
screaming for hurley to be fired before his contract is up is categorically more suicidal than screaming to join the big east before seeing how the next CR shakes out.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Rebuilds take time, and recruiting is important. These two things will be the most vital things to keep in mind the first two or three years of Hurley’s tenure.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You must not of got the memo...Daniel S. Hurley flips programs like real estate investors flipped houses in the early 2000's! C'MONN!

Only coaches who do this have wonderful bag-men for best friends.

I think we'll be in the tournament by year three. I've no opinion on next year yet.

Reaction Score
Our fan base sucks. For a state with nothing else going on, they sure are a demanding lot.

I'm sure there's a not insignificant group of people who don't even want him to succeed so they can continue to bitch.
It isn't our "fan"base that sucks. It is the Ollie fans that want to see Hurley fail.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It isn't our "fan"base that sucks. It is the Ollie fans that want to see Hurley fail.

This is a very short-sighted misreading of the situation.

Almost none of the unwarranted Hurley criticism has mentioned Ollie. The people posting that junk did absolutely nothing to distinguish themselves as Ollie fans.

This fan base has a huge proportion of frontrunners who want immediate success regardless of the situation, and will throw a fit when it doesn't come -- regardless of the coach.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the Ollie fans want Hurley to fail. The thing that fans cannot accept is that this crew is really not talented. They lack the physical and mental abilities to compete even at the level of the AAC. Nearly every game seems like men against boys.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's about 2020 and 2021. We all knew this but the Syracuse win made our expectations unrealistic. With that said we shouldn't lose to USF and Tulsa. I only see three players that play with the intensity that Hurley has and demands - Vital, Gilbert, and Sid. It'll be different next year

Reaction Score
Playing Jesuit schools wont make UConn get better talent than Gaffney, Bouknight, and Akok.

Playing Jesuit schools wont make UConn "overcome" having to develop the team.

It simply takes time to establish a regime and get old. It's like that in Jesuit leagues too.
All true. But we would save on travel and help our strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
Are there really people on here that want Danny to fail? It's tough to be patient and losing stinks. I think we all just want to be good again. If anyone's rooting for failure please step forward.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Its a deep ocean.if it sunk a few years ago there would be no where to go but up. My fear is we are getting worse each year, heading back to pre Calhoun territory
post/handle.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Whaler, you're generally right in your musings about the program, but I feel like you revel in the disaster lol

Reaction Score
As Michael Ray Richardson said , " The ship be sinking"

You left off the best part of it.

Reporter: What do you think is happening to the team?
Richardson: The ship be sinking.
Reporter: How far can it sink?
Richardson: Sky's the limit.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, you're generally right in your musings about the program, but I feel like you revel in the disaster lol

There are a handful of posters I enjoy tweaking...

How casual the attitude towards losing has become is just a normal musing.

Reaction Score
Most people don't even know our league exists, Big East has clout. You think flying back and forth across the country to Florida directional schools and Oklahoma is good for the team and good for our exposure/recruiting?

Lol at “Florida directional schools” (USF came from the Big East before the name was recycled and it christened itself a “Holyland”)
Those brands are more well-established than a lot of brands on the collegiate landscape.
“Going to Oklahoma” sure didn’t hurt things with the currently Top 20 ranked class coming in right now.
Get lost with the hurting recruiting nonsense. That’s not what we are seeing.
Truth is, the states that are the lifeblood of the most important sports UConn plays (football, baseball, and to some extent basketball) are in that region. The best recruits come from the warm weather states, and that’s where the $ is.
Your whole crusade is rooted in arrogance. To really think the school should settle long-term for LESS than half the TV money (FS1 4 million $ contract) because you don’t like playing a team UConn has been playing since 2004 because they have an S in their name.
All your anecdotal Dick Vitale BS only makes you look unhinged.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When there were 4-8 losses per year you had to get your rage out in less opportunities. Now it’s the same amount of rage spread out over 15 losses.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom