When do we see Bouk back? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

When do we see Bouk back?

Reaction Score
I would guess Bouks going to be back.

That said, what kind of idiot GM would draft him lower based on him sitting out the rest of this insane season to preserve his body (other than maybe feeling like they hadn’t seen enough of him). I think the reality is none. If they like him, no one will draft him lower if he decides not to play.
Garland tore his acl about 5 games into his season and was still chosen number 5 in the 2019 draft. It won’t matter.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Garland tore his acl about 5 games into his season and was still chosen number 5 in the 2019 draft. It won’t matter.
Safe to say his people have already spoken with front office people and likely have assurances from team/s that they aren’t passing on him if he’s available in the first? Those people are likely advising them on how they want him to proceed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I can guarantee you I have more information on this subject than you’ll ever have access to. Stop spreading BS that you know nothing about. I have more than 1 inside connection with the program and the target as of right now is to have him try to go for 10-15 mins on 2/6 against Seton Hall. I don’t really care who you are or who you think you are. Shut your mouth if you don’t know what you’re talking about which in this case, you don’t.
I knew Bobby Hurley had been posting here
If Not Bobby or Mrs Hurley, whoever, this is comical
"Shut your mouth", "go sit in the corner" - smells like a frustrated Fishy (no disrespect meant to you Fishy)
Yahoo - you have "an inside contact" and you are the only one?
Chill out junior

Reaction Score
I would guess Bouks going to be back.

That said, what kind of idiot GM would draft him lower based on him sitting out the rest of this insane season to preserve his body (other than maybe feeling like they hadn’t seen enough of him). I think the reality is none. If they like him, no one will draft him lower if he decides not to play.
Wait. You have two kids with equal talent. One does everything in his power to suit up and not let his teammates and team down. The other sits out in the same situations because, while well meaning, he puts protecting his body over the long term first.

You really think a GM is indifferent between those two players? Would you be?

Reaction Score
Wait. You have two kids with equal talent. One does everything in his power to suit up and not let his teammates and team down. The other sits out in the same situations because, while well meaning, he puts protecting his body over the long term first.

Kids do it in college football all the time. Completely healthy missing bowl games not to risk injury.

Reaction Score
Kids do it in college football all the time. Completely healthy missing bowl games not to risk injury.
The difference is that injuries are endemic to football. They are inevitable, it's just a question of when.

Basketball isn't like that. Bouknight sitting out while capable of playing wouldn't be to avoid injury, at that point it would be to avoid sullying his stock with mediocre play.

Reaction Score
Missing 1 game that doesn’t matter that much is one thing. Missing an entire season...not so sure those are comparable metrics.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

These GMs don’t give 2 Fs how rah rah a kid is about their college team. They care about how they compete when they’re out there. It’s a business and if the player realizes it’s a sign of maturity more than anything. For every one of these kids that have a shot at pro money it’s been a business long before they step on campus. The second you have coaches making millions of dollars a year based on your performance competing for your services, and you have a shot at building generational wealth based on the health and performance of your body, you better believe it’s a dead serious business for everyone involved. Let’s not be naive about the purity of leaving your heart and body out on the floor for your good old college team.

the whole point the posters were making that if he was sitting out it would be on the precisely the advice of front offices. So, doesn’t sound like it would have a negative impact.

do you think they look at it as a negative that players get paid in the G League instead of playing in college? Nah

Reaction Score
These GMs don’t give 2 Fs how rah rah a kid is about their college team. They care about how they compete when they’re out there. It’s a business and if the player realizes it’s a sign of maturity more than anything. For every one of these kids that have a shot at pro money it’s been a business long before they step on campus. The second you have coaches making millions of dollars a year based on your performance competing for your services, and you have a shot at building generational wealth based on the health and performance of your body, you better believe it’s a dead serious business for everyone involved. Let’s not be naive about the purity of leaving your heart and body out on the floor for your good old college team.

the whole point the posters were making that if he was sitting out it would be on the precisely the advice of front offices. So, doesn’t sound like it would have a negative impact.

do you think they look at it as a negative that players get paid in the G League instead of playing in college? Nah

Wow. What a ludicrous take.

It's not about punishing a kid for playing in the G League rather than college. Did the voices in your head really get that out of my post?

I made clear this is not a moral issue. College hoops is a business and Bouk can decide that protecting his green comes first without me badmouthing him in any way. But if a GM really thinks that a player healthy enough to play who lets his college team down because it's not in his economic interest won't do the same to the GM's NBA team, he's an idiot.

Reaction Score

Did you notice you didn't address the question? The rest of us did.

Putting aside that football is totally different than hoops from an injury perspective, you don't think that everything else being equal the football GM doesn't want the player who, medically cleared, wants to play for his team over the player in the same situation who wants to protect his future? Really?

As I said, not a moral issue. Bouk doesn't owe UConn anything in this system where when fans pay for tickets UConn makes money off Bouk and doesn't pay him. But just because Bouk isn't doing anything wrong doesn't mean that GM's in any sports don't prefer gamers to those worried about themselves. Of course they prefer gamers.

Reaction Score
I get that we are all speculating, but this thread has gotten so far off base on this crazy theory that literally has zero basis. The most realistic thing here is that we get him back in the timeframe that we were told, and all this crazy talk about him sitting out will be forgotten.

we are all desperate to get Bouk back, and he will be.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Wow. What a ludicrous take.

It's not about punishing a kid for playing in the G League rather than college. Did the voices in your head really get that out of my post?

I made clear this is not a moral issue. College hoops is a business and Bouk can decide that protecting his green comes first without me badmouthing him in any way. But if a GM really thinks that a player healthy enough to play who lets his college team down because it's not in his economic interest won't do the same to the GM's NBA team, he's an idiot.
GMs don’t care about players “letting their college teams down”. Grow up.

Players do just that in the NBA all the time. That’s the nature of professionalism. You think any GM thinks any player is going to do him a favor against the players economic interest when the team is going to trade the player away the second it’s in theirs? Get a grip

Reaction Score
GMs don’t care about players “letting their college teams down”. Grow up.

Players do just that in the NBA all the time. That’s the nature of professionalism. You think any GM thinks any player is going to do him a favor against the players economic interest when the team is going to trade the player away the second it’s in theirs? Get a grip

I’ve been in a the business of running a law firm for over 25 years. Everyone should put their and their family’s interest over that of the firm. That’s fine. But when some people decide it’s time to think about moving on, some give it their all for every day that they’re still at the firm, and others check out and slow down the moment they think it’s time to start thinking about leaving. I repeat — do you think I’m indifferent to which of those two types of employees they are? Do you think a GM is?

Reaction Score
I’ve been in a the business of running a law firm for over 25 years. Everyone should put their and their family’s interest over that of the firm. That’s fine. But when some people decide it’s time to think about moving on, some give it their all for every day that they’re still at the firm, and others check out and slow down the moment they think it’s time to start thinking about leaving. I repeat — do you think I’m indifferent to which of those two types of employees they are? Do you think a GM is?
I believe Bouk is coming back but I think you’re looking at this the wrong way. Would a GM rather have a kid who sat out or a kid who came back and suffered a major injury or caused a repeat injury? That’s the risk Bouk would be considering, not playing poorly. Other players will rise during the tournament and risk dropping the stock of players who miss out. Rookie contracts aren’t all that long. And healthy players get paid per game I believe. If I’m a GM and the player isn’t a top 3 pick then I’m hoping he sits out and slides to my draft spot. I’ll worry about his love for making money when he steps on my court.

Reaction Score
I believe Bouk is coming back but I think you’re looking at this the wrong way. Would a GM rather have a kid who sat out or a kid who came back and suffered a major injury or caused a repeat injury? That’s the risk Bouk would be considering, not playing poorly. Other players will rise during the tournament and risk dropping the stock of players who miss out. Rookie contracts aren’t all that long. And healthy players get paid per game I believe. If I’m a GM and the player isn’t a top 3 pick then I’m hoping he sits out and slides to my draft spot. I’ll worry about his love for making money when he steps on my court.

LOL. No, I'm looking at this the right way and you're making this up. No one was having a discussion about whether Bouk should play before the doctor clears him (which means he's not taking a risk of further injury), or even if he gets cleared and either is in severe pain or doesn't think he can execute. The discussion was about being able to play but not doing so because the economic analysis was that he had more to loss than to gain.

Of course no GM will look down on him for not playing before he's ready. No one suggested otherwise.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
If their next opportunity pays them millions of dollars and their current opportunity is as an unpaid intern which could jeopardize their health in a way that would compromise their multimillion dollar offer?? It would be predatory behavior to hold that against them.

We all want Bouk back in a UConn uniform for our own fandom, but anyone saying that is definitively what he “should” do needs to take a hard look in the mirror.

The whole premise of what other posters have put forth ( again I have no inside information) is that front offices are advising him Bouk to take it easy. I have no insight into whether or not that is the case, but given that is the premise, I don’t know what you are arguing. That you would give different advice if you were in a front office? Or you don’t think that’s possible that a front office would recommend that? Having a couple friends who have worked in NBA front offices, I can tell you it definitely is in line with how their offices would’ve thought about it. A player who is planning and communicating is a plus. And way more than anything they care about a talent that will pan out and compete when he’s out on the floor. Their jobs depends on it-especially for a lottery-type team where jobs are already on think ice from losing. I’m sitting out the rest of this COVID season wouldn’t even come close to registering as a red flag.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One look at Garland's and Bouk's recruiting profiles indicates that Garland is the exception that proves the rule. Garland was a 5 star recruit and likely would have made the jump directly to the NBA, if given the chance.

Reaction Score
I'm in the Bouk will be back this season camp but a GM is going to do a thorough vetting. My guess is Coach Hurley would say James is a great kid and teammate, a fiery competitor and a big NBA talent who can score on all levels. If he sits out it won't affect is draft status much.

Reaction Score
I went to this thread to get an update on the Dark Knight’s timetable of returning & all I see is nonsense about GM’s & the league?

Reaction Score
If their next opportunity pays them millions of dollars and their current opportunity is as an unpaid intern which could jeopardize their health in a way that would compromise their multimillion dollar offer?? It would be predatory behavior to hold that against them.

We all want Bouk back in a UConn uniform for our own fandom, but anyone saying that is definitively what he “should” do needs to take a hard look in the mirror.

The whole premise of what other posters have put forth ( again I have no inside information) is that front offices are advising him Bouk to take it easy. I have no insight into whether or not that is the case, but given that is the premise, I don’t know what you are arguing. That you would give different advice if you were in a front office? Or you don’t think that’s possible that a front office would recommend that? Having a couple friends who have worked in NBA front offices, I can tell you it definitely is in line with how their offices would’ve thought about it. A player who is planning and communicating is a plus. And way more than anything they care about a talent that will pan out and compete when he’s out on the floor. Their jobs depends on it-especially for a lottery-type team where jobs are already on think ice from losing. I’m sitting out the rest of this COVID season wouldn’t even come close to registering as a red flag.

There is no premise that front offices are telling him to take it easy. The premise is that his circle of advisor is.

It's hard to debate with someone who seems unwilling to listen and absorb arguments. I specifically said that it's fine that someone with a better opportunity leaves. The question is only whether I should be indifferent to whether they work their butt of for me between the time they consider leaving and the time they actually leave, while I'm paying them, or whether they stop coasting. And, by the way, the question is rhetorical. Anyone who pays anyone else's salary wants them to give them all they have while they're being paid.

Am I really the only one who remembers a boneyard where you didn't get into debate on rhetorical questions?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom