When Do We See Amari? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

When Do We See Amari?

sun

Reaction Score
Can't someone respond that they believe Geno's style has been correct?
Every game has a different set of circumstances.
How can playing against #7 Louisville be compared to playing against Butler which is 0-8?
A single answer doesn't fit all.

Reaction Score
So why recruit her?
Because although she may not have significance this year she probably will next year. She still would have to move ahead of Piath, but based on her ranking that should be probable. Liv will leave and Dorka could, although I expect her to stay. If that happens Amari could be the principle backup C behind Dorka. If Dorka also leaves she has a chance to start. Ice or Ayanna might be a factor, but they are not really centers. If Liv or Dorka get injured she could be relevant this year.

Reaction Score
Go back and read the entire thread.
I did.

IMO (I could be wrong about vowelguy if so I apologize to him) Vowleguy thinks (and so do I) that some of you are crazy (a good crazy. Don't take that word crazy the wrong way- a fun fan crazy) in apparently not understanding what Geno has done over 30 years., Cohenzone makes a comment that what he does makes no sense (or he was referring only to JC but implying Geno.).

So for some of us that thinks what Geno does makes absolute sense, then how do you think we're going to respond? We're going to point out what Geno has done and the success he has had, right?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I did.

IMO (I could be wrong about vowelguy if so I apologize to him) Vowleguy thinks (and so do I) that some of you are crazy (a good crazy. Don't take that word crazy the wrong way- a fun fan crazy) in apparently not understanding what Geno has done over 30 years., Cohenzone makes a comment that what he does makes no sense (or he was referring only to JC but implying Geno.).

So for some of us that thinks what Geno does makes absolute sense, then how do you think we're going to respond? We're going to point out what Geno has done and the success he has had, right?
Nice convoluted way of saying something. Sorry, but Vowelguy was putting down a rather simple question. As the ancient proverb goes, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just some people who decide that a question or observation is stupid. In short, it doesn’t matter at all that you or I or Vowlguy or Confuscious thinks a question shouldn’t be asked because we think the answer is obvious. It’s a discussion board and I for one feel unrestrained in what I ask even if someone out there thinks it’s a dumb question. Right?

Reaction Score
Every game has a different set of circumstances.
How can playing against #7 Louisville be compared to playing against Butler which is 0-8?
A single answer doesn't fit all.
To a degree yes each game has a different set of circumstances, but maybe not from a coach that wants to see a certain sustainment of a level of play, right? Or if he feels the team needs to work on things regardless of score, right? He doesn't have to press, press, press, but instead if he feels that working on his halfcourt for example helps his top 8 players even during blowouts to a degree, then is he wrong?

The same critique you are using to giving players deep on the bench a few minutes in the blowouts so they can get better, why doesn't it also apply to giving some of your top 7 or 8 more work so they can learn to work better with another? I think we all know in general all-star teams have a harder time succeeding vs a well-defined team that has worked together a lot. So why isn't the extra few minutes late in the game Geno gives to some of his top 8 beneficial to some degree? The more time you work together ti can help you become better too, right?

If you say he is wrong then are you suggesting that he has been wrong nearly all of his career? Because that's how he has coached for many years, right?

Reaction Score
Nice convoluted way of saying something. Sorry, but Vowelguy was putting down a rather simple question. As the ancient proverb goes, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just some people who decide that a question or observation is stupid. In short, it doesn’t matter at all that you or I or Vowlguy or Confuscious thinks a question shouldn’t be asked because we think the answer is obvious. It’s a discussion board and I for one feel unrestrained in what I ask even if someone out there thinks it’s a dumb question. Right?
I thought vowelguy gave you the answer. I'm sorry - I don't see what the problem that you are having is. :)

Though if I were face-to-face with you- Id smile friendly and just say "I think it crazy what you're suggesting" but I wouldn't be disrespectful. I'd make the comment in fun. SO while you can discuss it, I think the answer vowelguy gave is apparent.

I guess you think he insulted you by calling your idea crazy. - Maybe it's best I refrain from your issue with him specifically but I agree with him in that I don't agree with your points why DeBerry should play. How else can this different pov be expressed?

Reaction Score
One thing some are missing. It has little value (except perhaps to quiet the nerves) to remove all the starters and substitute in 5 bench players. It deson't help them much. It is better to put in one or two with the remaining starters so they can work to be able to produce with those starters when needed. This will happen when the starters are ready for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I don't agree overall with your pov. First off if SC is going to have one of their bigger players focus on taking Dorka away from the basket and then trying to drive then that's a good thing for UCONN. Amihere scored 1 point and Carodoso scored 4 in 28 minutes. They combined for 6 rebounds.

A big issue with UCONN is that SC forced UConn into 19 turnovers. While Piath can help because of size defensively unfortunately this isn't football where the offense takes over after downs. AT the offensive end SC would've a combination of blitzing Piath every time she touched the ball, challenged her to make a pass while SC was overplaying, or left her open other than 2 3 feet from the basketball,and forced her to make decisions with the ball. Piath is not ready for SC." And even 10 minutes a game leading up to this won't help vs a SC.

Think of all the experience Dorka had and she had 0 assists and 5 turnovers and she is considered a good passer.
Notre Dame with out A Boston big --didn't force Uconn--but Uconn had 20 turnovers, way too often of their own making. Was Boston anywhere in the game to effect those turnovers? I agree if you say, Uconn this season is making too many turnovers but in the SC game what was the major factor --not just stats, the impact of players on turnovers or self inflicted ? Agree or disagree it's what makes the BY world go round and round. I enjoy your discussion must I agree to enjoy it? Not on your life. Discussion is fun. Have a great day.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I thought vowelguy gave you the answer. I'm sorry - I don't see what the problem that you are having is. :)

Though if I were face-to-face with you- Id smile friendly and just say "I think it crazy what you're suggesting" but I wouldn't be disrespectful. I'd make the comment in fun. SO while you can discuss it, I think the answer vowelguy gave is apparent.

I guess you think he insulted you by calling your idea crazy. - Maybe it's best I refrain from your issue with him specifically but I agree with him in that I don't agree with your points why DeBerry should play. How else can this different pov be expressed?
You are mixing things up. I didn’t say she should play. I said it’s not crazy for someone to ask why she isn’t playing. I wasnt the one who asked the question Vowelguy might be the sweetest guy in the universe, but he gave a fairly pompous put down of the person who asked the question. It’s a sports chat board, not some major intellectual think tank. GA owes us no explanations of anything but we certainly are not restrained from asking anything we want on the topic without having to get clearance from anyone ahead of time. We’ve had people over the years comment on why various walk ons weren’t in some blow out games, let alone a supposed highly regarded recruit. Peace and love. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Because although she may not have significance this year she probably will next year. She still would have to move ahead of Piath, but based on her ranking that should be probable. Liv will leave and Dorka could, although I expect her to stay. If that happens Amari could be the principle backup C behind Dorka. If Dorka also leaves she has a chance to start. Ice or Ayanna might be a factor, but they are not really centers. If Liv or Dorka get injured she could be relevant this year.
except multiple experts on this board have said she isn’t in shape

Reaction Score
I think Piath can have the more short-term impact among the reserve Bigs. Hope she has recovered enough to play this season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
4 of the 6 games played thus far had a MOV of 15 or more points. One was 19 points, one was 30.

Just what do you consider a blowout?
40 points is the usual standard. Makes me crazy

Reaction Score
Notre Dame with out A Boston big --didn't force Uconn--but Uconn had 20 turnovers, way too often of their own making. Was Boston anywhere in the game to effect those turnovers? I agree if you say, Uconn this season is making too many turnovers but in the SC game what was the major factor --not just stats, the impact of players on turnovers or self inflicted ? Agree or disagree it's what makes the BY world go round and round. I enjoy your discussion must I agree to enjoy it? Not on your life. Discussion is fun. Have a great day.
It's okay- we disagree. Have a great day too. Most important - Paige please be okay!!!!

Several years ago (DT era) UCONN got wiped out by Tennessee on the boards but still won the title game. They won because of DT. UCONN had to win the game on the perimeter.

Last year UCONN beat SC despite getting crushed on the boards because they won the game on the perimeter. They scored more points on the perimeter than SC did.

UCONN beat ND despite the high number of turnovers because in part they crushed ND inside. But they are not capable of crushing SC inside. They have to win a different way vs a SC type of team. The same way they beat them last year.

This year UCONN got wiped by SC on the boards but another factor was that the SC perimeter their pg/sg/sf scored just as many points as the UCONN perimeter. That can't happen. IF SC guards are scoring UCONN needs to get more opportunities to score to offset SC's strength. Turnovers kill UCONN's frequency of opportunities to score. Nineteen turnovers is awful whether you win or lose. And as for Piath and DeBerry, they will not affect this, nor will they score much vs a SC type team.

There is no magic potion by giving a kid 10 minutes a game then just as easily tell the kid during the NCAA Tourney "to go out there and give me 6 points and 6 rebounds in your 10 minutes." It doesn't usually work like that - especially for young - raw players. For whatever Piath is going to do on the defensive end, she is going to hurt UCONN just as much if not more on the offensive end. She is not yet a passer or a shooter. Offensively she'll kill UCONN going up against a team like SC.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I posted this in another thread:

Mir, Piath and Amari apparently are way down on the depth chart and will be likely to stay there until Geno feels Liv, Aaliyah, and Dorka don’t need as many minutes As they’re currently getting. I think he’s concentrating on those three right now to give UConn an important post presence but when they’re close to where he wants them, he can rotate in the less experienced players.

Also, Geno has said many times he doesn’t like to play someone unless he has an idea what to expect from them in a game. He most likely doesn’t want to get the team in a groove then knock it out of kilter with someone dribbling off their foot or making goofy fouls. For now, he’s trying to get his starters to stop doing that. One thing at a time.

Reaction Score
I don't agree overall with your pov. First off if SC is going to have one of their bigger players focus on taking Dorka away from the basket and then trying to drive then that's a good thing for UCONN. Amihere scored 1 point and Carodoso scored 4 in 28 minutes. They combined for 6 rebounds.

A big issue with UCONN is that SC forced UConn into 19 turnovers. While Piath can help because of size defensively unfortunately this isn't football where the offense takes over after downs. AT the offensive end SC would've a combination of blitzing Piath every time she touched the ball, challenged her to make a pass while SC was overplaying, or left her open other than 2 3 feet from the basketball,and forced her to make decisions with the ball. Piath is not ready for SC." And even 10 minutes a game leading up to this won't help vs a SC.

Think of all the experience Dorka had and she had 0 assists and 5 turnovers and she is considered a good passer.
Dorka has a large tape job on one hand, typically an indicator of a broken or sprained thumb. At times it appears hard for her to keep hold of the ball, pass, or catch passes. I would wait for a good match up and put Amari in for 5-8 minutes at a time. I would give Dorka some time to get well and tell Amari to pound the boards and box out. Keep it simple and I predict she would perform. Geno normally gives minutes based on practice time but this may be an exception.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
We all are freaked out by seeing Paige on the floor in pain. The question is, could this be a blessing in disguise? Now the team has to play without her for a while, and this is a time for the rest of the team to step up, move forward and add some chemistry. Nika and Caroline have to show Geno, and us, that they are important pieces to the puzzle which is NC brand basketball.
I'll disagree with the bolded portion of this assessment. With Paige's condition and playing prospects unclear at present, all other members of the team will need to show each other and their coaches what they can contribute while/if Page is absent. They are under no obligation to us, the fans. Years ago, when I was coaching, I can recall when fans, especially parents, would promote themselves as part of the coaching staff, calling out "instructions" to players or expressing disapproval of player performance during games— that is, until I suggested that they offer only support . . . or leave the gymn.

Reaction Score
Well, Feagan is not a post per se, but she is definitely a big of the same recruiting-hype level. She is only getting mop up minutes at SCar which has depth similar to UConn
I don't think people are questioning how long it might take a freshman post player to become a force. We have been starved of any and all information with respect to Deberry. The only news most of us have is a comment from two months ago, that she is "having some difficulty adjusting." Since then, not a word. Is she practing? Is she on the bench and traveling with the team? Is she a really good kid? Is she fit and healthy? Nothing. That is what we bring her name up. We would like to hear anything about this highly recruited young woman.

Reaction Score
I don't think people are questioning how long it might take a freshman post player to become a force. We have been starved of any and all information with respect to Deberry. The only news most of us have is a comment from two months ago, that she is "having some difficulty adjusting." Since then, not a word. Is she practing? Is she on the bench and traveling with the team? Is she a really good kid? Is she fit and healthy? Nothing. That is what we bring her name up. We would like to hear anything about this highly recruited young woman.

1) From pictures some of the press provide during the open portions of practice, I've seen DeBerry on the court or in practice gear.

2) She is on the bench and travels with the team from what I've been able to see during games. I don't recall seeing her solely in their warm up gear.

Beyond that, the coaching staff have the answers. What they want to say/not say to the fanbase and media is up to them.

sun

Reaction Score
We would like to hear anything about this highly recruited young woman.

I try to learn about players from what's available on youtube.
She seems to be exceptionally bright and well spoken.
She was playing/training with a traveling team of older kids at least since she was 11 years old when she was 6' 2".
She seems able to make every shot in her range without any problems.
IIRC she was only 17 at the beginning of the school year.
She seems to have a lot of potential.
The only comment that I've read was that Geno said that she's "slow", which I interpreted to mean a slower runner or slower mover than he likes.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score

Amari played this past summer with Azzi, and can be seen on this video shortly after the 12:00 mark.
She's wearing uniform #9.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom