When Do We See Amari? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

When Do We See Amari?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I coached competitive girls travel soccer for 9+ years in the 90s. We guaranteed each player half a game (gasp!) as if we took them on the roster, it wouldn't be fair for them to sit there and not play. A lot of parents and coaches were amazed by this tactic. No, not premier or ODP level, this was town travel. Having them sit at games wouldn't have provided them any developmental opportunities, however we weren't playing in the world cup. I now coach an under-10 coed rec soccer team and everyone must get at least half a game, which makes sense as it's supposed to be all about fun and learning. That being said ...

Amari will play when the the coaches believe she is ready and can be trusted on the court to execute the plays, as without that, the players alongside her won't be able to trust and depend on her. If any player gets to UConn and doesn't understand what's expected, and that it may be a longer road than in HS to get onto the court, IMHO they weren't paying attention to what the coaches said during recruiting. All the articles about past recruits make one thing clear - Geno doesn't make promises about anything. You earn your spot.

We've been lucky to see certain freshmen start at UConn, Paige being one of the best, however, in normal times, in this system, you will see great players such as Shea, Diana, Maya, Walker, and others, who were first or later off the bench. Geno and staff will not sacrifice quality of play and expectations, just to put players out there. It's not fair to them, and not fair to the rest of the team. We all have our favorites and opinions on why they should get more time, however we're not the ones at practice every day, observing each player develop individually and as part of the team.

Reaction Score
Wondering when we will get to see Amari play. Can’t figure out why we haven’t seen her on the court yet.
I sent a note to a guy who has a newsletter about UCONN women BB on the same subject, and he had no more than the same vague answer we were given two months ago. Something about trouble adjusting and that. In other words, we don't know anything other than she is on the team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Personally, I am more stumped about Piath. Freshman absorbing the system and learning how to compete the UConn way is reasonable. When Piath entered the games, she seems to be able to fit in. No deer in headlights, can run etc.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Personally, I am more stumped about Piath. Freshman absorbing the system and learning how to compete the UConn way is reasonable. When Piath entered the games, she seems to be able to fit in. No deer in headlights, can run etc.
Perhaps her medical issue this past summer interfered with her fitness and development ?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let's see. She hasn't played in 6 games out of ~140-game career. Ergo we can conclude that she is a failure and recruiting her was a mistake.

Just like Ducharme had barely played in the first 5 games and was also a huge recruiting mistake and failure.

Geez, patience is not a strong suit around here.
Still not a crazy question. For that matter, Plaith has barely played. Yes, it’s a long season, but DeBerry was rated pretty high.

Reaction Score
Ok, since you asked, I will answer. We will see her when she and Geno both agree she is ready. That was easy.

Reaction Score
How many posts, similar to DeBerry, that were highly recruited from the 2021 class are making an impact as of yet?

For example, Wolfenberger is coming off the bench from what I've noticed and Lattimore doesn't see court time a lot depending on the team Texas faces. Maybe Hollingshead from Georgia as she's averaging 10 min/game?

From what I've been told, it typically takes post players some more time to adapt to the game, especially from a strength component. Some can jump in right away, but it could be just a matter of time in DeBerry's case.

Reaction Score
How many posts, similar to DeBerry, that were highly recruited from the 2021 class are making an impact as of yet?

For example, Wolfenberger is coming off the bench from what I've noticed and Lattimore doesn't see court time a lot depending on the team Texas faces. Maybe Hollingshead from Georgia as she's averaging 10 min/game?

From what I've been told, it typically takes post players some more time to adapt to the game, especially from a strength component. Some can jump in right away, but it could be just a matter of time in DeBerry's case.
Citron and Miles

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nobody but the coach and the players have the answer. Fact is, coaches have their own ideas about players and sometimes that don’t make apparent sense. Calhoun had a kid named Marcus White who got minuscule minutes but always looked pretty good. Calhoun missed a few games to illness and his assistant George Blakey, who apparently saw what fans saw, gave White significant minutes and he played well. Calhoun came back and kept White nailed to the bench. He wound up transferring.

Obviously GA knows what he wants and none of us has seen DeBerry. But she wasn’t an afterthought recruit so it isn’t weird to wonder why she hasn’t played a second. People get so darn defensive especially about Geno when people on a fan board ask questions like this.

Reaction Score
Perhaps her medical issue this past summer interfered with her fitness and development ?
She is a favorite of mine as well. Geno saw something in her that no one else did, when he recruited her. She could, indeed, be a force in the paint. I was unaware that she had health problems this summer which may have sidelined her development. I believe we will see her a lot in garbage time during the Big east games. My guess is that she will step forward next year, if she remains healthy and on track ( and benefits from a summer playing challenge ). No one but the obvious players saw time in South Carolina and ND games (Other than Caroline v ND...which marked her emergence). We hope.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Actually it is. This is how Geno has coached for 30+ years.
Actually, you are judgmental. Who cares if he’s coached since Adam and Eve. Let’s critique your answer. I’m sure you’ve never asked a question or made a point that other posters think is unnecessary.

Reaction Score

Well, Feagan is not a post per se, but she is definitely a big of the same recruiting-hype level. She is only getting mop up minutes at SCar which has depth similar to UConn

Reaction Score
Well, Feagan is not a post per se, but she is definitely a big of the same recruiting-hype level. She is only getting mop up minutes at SCar which has depth similar to UConn

Thanks @visitingcock . I thought of her as well, but hedged on including her on the list for that same reason. She does provide another example of highly touted players getting limited minutes.

Reaction Score
According to Geno she has superior offensive moves to any of the bigs and since many hear view ONO and Dorka as major disappointments why not give Amari a three-minute guest appearance......
It's hard to say this. :):)

Because nobody outside of the BY cares what any of us has to say? Blasphemous I know. :):)

Reaction Score
Uhh perhaps the fact that she’s the 4th or 5th best big on a team that sometimes plays four guards?
You are right about 4th or 5th and 4 guards often. The truth of this team was seen in SC. They need a strong tough physically built post to take on SC or other teams with strong inside play. Seaton Hall had a small big (is that possible/) that seemed to take Dorka away from the basket. Dorka as 4 or 6 inches tallers. 6'5" isn't the only pre requisite for a decent post. Is Gabriel or Amere the one that will do it??

Reaction Score
The two Uconn posts that get the most time aren't POSTS either. At the next level, if they get there, they'll be wings. That's where both are comfortable. Boston will be a post.

Reaction Score
You are right about 4th or 5th and 4 guards often. The truth of this team was seen in SC. They need a strong tough physically built post to take on SC or other teams with strong inside play. Seaton Hall had a small big (is that possible/) that seemed to take Dorka away from the basket. Dorka as 4 or 6 inches tallers. 6'5" isn't the only pre requisite for a decent post. Is Gabriel or Amere the one that will do it??
Cooks is 6'4" and did some nice things for SH.............apparently Geno has zero interest in having either of those two posts on the floor right now............some real muscle arrives at UConn next year.......

Reaction Score
I coached competitive girls travel soccer for 9+ years in the 90s. We guaranteed each player half a game (gasp!) as if we took them on the roster, it wouldn't be fair for them to sit there and not play. A lot of parents and coaches were amazed by this tactic. No, not premier or ODP level, this was town travel. Having them sit at games wouldn't have provided them any developmental opportunities, however we weren't playing in the world cup. I now coach an under-10 coed rec soccer team and everyone must get at least half a game, which makes sense as it's supposed to be all about fun and learning. That being said ...

Amari will play when the the coaches believe she is ready and can be trusted on the court to execute the plays, as without that, the players alongside her won't be able to trust and depend on her. If any player gets to UConn and doesn't understand what's expected, and that it may be a longer road than in HS to get onto the court, IMHO they weren't paying attention to what the coaches said during recruiting. All the articles about past recruits make one thing clear - Geno doesn't make promises about anything. You earn your spot.

We've been lucky to see certain freshmen start at UConn, Paige being one of the best, however, in normal times, in this system, you will see great players such as Shea, Diana, Maya, Walker, and others, who were first or later off the bench. Geno and staff will not sacrifice quality of play and expectations, just to put players out there. It's not fair to them, and not fair to the rest of the team. We all have our favorites and opinions on why they should get more time, however we're not the ones at practice every day, observing each player develop individually and as part of the team.
In a little town near Storrs a few years back they had a CYO and a Little League basketball teams . In both or is it either, both leagues had to play all players in the first half. The second half was competitive basketball. The first half was great for the kids great for the parents , louzy for the coach who wanted to win.
That wasn't Uconn level basketball and Alums and other financial supporters were not breathing down the necks of coaches. Geno wins. I remember at Uconn (men) when 20 wins a year was next to the national championship. We fans were happy. Now, I'm not a stats guy, but I don't remember when, if ever, Geno only won 20 games in a year.

Reaction Score
Cooks is 6'4" and did some nice things for SH.............apparently Geno has zero interest in having either of those two posts on the floor right now............some real muscle arrives at UConn next year.......
I didn't check Cooks stats, visually, she seemed shorter than Dorka. I don't fault Dorka or ONO or even Edwards for being moved out of position by stronger more bulky posts. You are what you are and for most of the game those 3 do well with some exceptions. Now if Uconn makes 60 percent of it's 3's or layups those 3 could rest.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Leaving aside the exhibition game, there haven't been any blowouts in the season (maybe Minnesota). I don't think you are going to see Piath or Amari until the fourth quarter of a blowout game, unless there is major foul trouble among Liv / Aaliyah / Dorka.

Liv fouled out of today's game after it was largely in the bag (with about 4 minutes left), but Dorka and Aaliyah were able to avoid foul trouble today. If two of the three main front court players are in foul trouble, it appears that Mir will be the next person off the bench. After today, it could also be Caroline.

Boneyarders may not like it, but Geno is not going to put the outcome of games in jeopardy just to get minutes for the players at the end of his bench.

4 of the 6 games played thus far had a MOV of 15 or more points. One was 19 points, one was 30.

Just what do you consider a blowout?

Reaction Score
I didn't check Cooks stats, visually, she seemed shorter than Dorka. I don't fault Dorka or ONO or even Edwards for being moved out of position by stronger more bulky posts. You are what you are and for most of the game those 3 do well with some exceptions. Now if Uconn makes 60 percent of it's 3's or layups those 3 could rest.
Dorka is 6'5" if you believe the stats......

Sidney Cooks
FORWARD/CENTER 6'4"

SIDNEY COOKS

Reaction Score

I don't agree overall with your pov. First off if SC is going to have one of their bigger players focus on taking Dorka away from the basket and then trying to drive then that's a good thing for UCONN. Amihere scored 1 point and Carodoso scored 4 in 28 minutes. They combined for 6 rebounds.

A big issue with UCONN is that SC forced UConn into 19 turnovers. While Piath can help because of size defensively unfortunately this isn't football where the offense takes over after downs. AT the offensive end SC would've a combination of blitzing Piath every time she touched the ball, challenged her to make a pass while SC was overplaying, or left her open other than 2 3 feet from the basketball,and forced her to make decisions with the ball. Piath is not ready for SC." And even 10 minutes a game leading up to this won't help vs a SC.

Think of all the experience Dorka had and she had 0 assists and 5 turnovers and she is considered a good passer.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom