When did it become ok? | The Boneyard

When did it become ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
for "fans" to just tee off on players on this board? Posters have just been trashing Carlton, Vital and Gilbert, and Gaffney and Whalley have caught some fire in the last few hours too. When did making generalized attacks against players become OK on this board? I am not talking about specific criticism of some feature of a player's game or their limitations. We have many posters on this site stating they don't want some of these players to play for UConn anymore.

Why would any recruit want to come to UConn after reading this board?

I want a list of the posters who just trash players from a position of total entitlement and ignorance, so I will know never to read their posts again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Boneyard should probably shut down for 24 hours after a loss to stop a bunch of despondent fans from writing regrettable things. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms basketball-wise, but I hate seeing too much negativity directed towards young student-athletes who all appear to buy into this team and university.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
for "fans" to just tee off on players on this board? Posters have just been trashing Carlton, Vital and Gilbert, and Gaffney and Whalley have caught some fire in the last few hours too. When did making generalized attacks against players become OK on this board? I am not talking about specific criticism of some feature of a player's game or their limitations. We have many posters on this site stating they don't want some of these players to play for UConn anymore.

I want a list of the posters who just trash players from a position of total entitlement and ignorance, so I will know never to read their posts again.

recruits don't give a flying f bomb about this board. Maybe in years past. But in 2020, if it isn't on instagram/twitter/snap/ticktok, it might as well not exist to them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not that there isn't some over-the-top stuff, but saying that the talent level isn't good or that certain players have (obvious) limitations is not "trashing the players".

Do you want to have a contest about this? You take the position that nothing bad was said, and I will provide quotes that show otherwise. What do I get when I am proven right?

Reaction Score
The immediate knee jerk criticism and dismissal of our players has been borderline crazy at times. Next time you're about to humiliate a college basketball player on a fan board, take a step back and go release your negative energy somewhere else in a healthier way. I will say, some of our players do warrant criticism, however not maliciously. For example, “player X should develop another part of his game besides shooting” rather than, “He’s soft I hope he transfers”. That’s such garbage. And If you really really want to dish it out, at least give it to the guy making a few million dollars coaching the team.

Reaction Score

You can't be serious with this.

It's been this way here since the board was created and been this way on every single other fan board since they were created. When players play great people are going to talk about it, when players play terribly people are going to talk about it. There is no way of discussing that debacle last night without having a starting point of pretty much everyone completely sucked from the staff down to the last player.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious with this.

It's been this way here since the board was created and been this way on every single other fan board since they were created. When players play great people are going to talk about it, when players play terribly people are going to talk about it. There is no way of discussing that debacle last night without having a starting point of pretty much everyone completely sucked from the staff down to the last player.

Eh. The "can't wait for this kid who's done nothing but comport himself with class through tribulations that would cause a lot of people to abandon the sport altogether to leave the program" posts have not been all that hard to miss.

The board sucks to read these days, and it has for some time, and not because we're "discussing limited aspects of certain players games."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Not nearly as bad as the chat room
Some of the idiots there are unbelievably caustic
It's not even a pleasure to be on it - it becomes a who can say the nastiest things about AG and Vital but don't dare say anything negative about one of DH's recruits=heresy
Can't wait til my leg heals so I can start going to the games - I miss my seats

Reaction Score
We all get frustrated but the entitlement is off the charts. Someone said yesterday and I'm paraphrasing, that they demand excellence and should not be satisfied with anything less. Demand?? Really? You're a college basketball fan on a message board, not a king. Get a grip and some perspective. It's great to have passions in life, but if disappointment makes you this miserable, perhaps this is the wrong one for you.

Reaction Score
Eh. The "can't wait for this kid who's done nothing but comport himself with class through tribulations that would cause a lot of people to abandon the sport altogether to leave the program" posts have not been all that hard to miss.

The board sucks to read these days, and it has for some time, and not because we're "discussing limited aspects of certain players games."
The only time I really see those posts is from the people saying Hurley can't be judged until AG, CV, Tyler Phommachanh, JC, and IW are out of the program because we can't be expected to do much of anything with them on the team/they aren't "his" players.

I'm of the opinion you tailor your coaching to maximize the abilities of the guys you do have, not seeing it lately. We haven't looked good since Charleston and I think it's a combo of our coach not putting the players in the right positions to be successful and the players not executing. The roster isn't ideal but there is enough for us to have a good team and nights like last night should no longer happen, IMO.

It's okay being brutally honest about individual players terrible play (it's big time college athletics) but it should never be personal.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Why would they want to come here with you saying Hurley is the worst coach ever?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
recruits don't give a flying f bomb about this board. Maybe in years past. But in 2020, if it isn't on instagram/twitter/snap/ticktok, it might as well not exist to them.
I disagree totally - I have spoken to many of the players and coaches - past and present - and they know of and many read the boneyard.
I had two children play college sports and coached hundreds who played soccer at all levels of college and I wouldn't want them to read some of the things written here if it were directed at them
Don't give me any 1st amendment rights crap - some of the stuff is just plain mean and hurtful
And saying you are a diehard doesn't give you the freedom to be nasty
I honestly feel for kids like TB, JAdams and now AG - most of the guys on this board couldn't run up and down the court 5 times never mind doing what is expected of these 20 year olds.
They all played terribly yesterday but none should leave the school or be exiled
It's up to DH and staff to sit or play them and most of the players are doing what they are told to do.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I disagree totally - I have spoken to many of the players and coaches - past and present - and they know of and many read the boneyard.
I had two children play college sports and coached hundreds who played soccer at all levels of college and I wouldn't want them to read some of the things written here if it were directed at them
Don't give me any 1st amendment rights crap - some of the stuff is just plain mean and hurtful
And saying you are a diehard doesn't give you the freedom to be nasty
I honestly feel for kids like TB, JAdams and now AG - most of the guys on this board couldn't run up and down the court 5 times never mind doing what is expected of these 20 year olds.
They all played terribly yesterday but none should leave the school or be exiled
It's up to DH and staff to sit or play them and most of the players are doing what they are told to do.

It's got nothing to do with the 1st amendment so I don't know why that's thing. But this board is pretty soft on players compared to the greater landscape of college sports forums. The more big time you are, the more you'll get it.

Fact is, we don't have a lot of good players yet. That's just the way is. A bunch of good kids, some with some skills in certain depts, but most with definitive weaknesses or limited ceilings.

Hurley's not the type of coach who can fit a system to his personnel. He's got his system, the way he likes to play, and his guys will e able to play it. We'll get to see more of that next year.

I had this team in the NIT preseason, so I'm not too fussed about what's been going down.

Reaction Score
Do you want to have a contest about this? You take the position that nothing bad was said, and I will provide quotes that show otherwise. What do I get when I am proven right?

Read much?

Reaction Score
Nelson has apparently never been on a fan message board after a loss. You can scurry along white knight, the players are surely handling the criticism better than you.
I start after the Perno era, so maybe he had some stinkers, but neither Calhoun nor Ollie ever were as unprepared for a game as what we just saw. We have covered the offensive issues ad nauseum, but there are still secondary rotation issues on defense. When our help defender steps to the penetrator, they were wide open on the block all game long.

Cincinnati jumped on UConn out of the gate, and Hurley had no answer. Going into this game, Cincinnati was 7-5, with losses to Bowling Green and Colgate at home. And they just kicked Hurley's butt. This is also the second time this season that a first year head coach that is still learning his own team has totally outcoached Hurley.

I have no solution for this, but Hurley has got to get his act together. UConn is not the job for a coach that needs training wheels.
For those scoring at home, Ollie beat Phil Martelli, Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and John Calipari in consecutive games to win a NATIONAL FREAKING CHAMPIONSHIP with a roster that had ONE future NBA player on it.

Do you think Hurley could do that at this point in his career? We have lost to St. Joe's and just got blown out by Cincinnati.
Hurley just got his tits lit by 7-5 Cincinnati, and you are "lmaooo"ing about the time Ollie won a National Championship because you don't think it counts?
That is a good one.

Remember when Ollie won a National Championship? I do.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There is no way of discussing that debacle last night without having a starting point of pretty much everyone completely sucked from the staff down to the last player.
Actually, what's to discuss?
That's really the ending point, not the starting point.
A lot of the stuff here written is pretty much fans doing their part as poorly as the players and the coaches doing theirs. And posting is the only part that the fans have some control over.
Lose-lose-lose situation.

Reaction Score
Im sure boards are much worse on SEC football threads by a whole country mile. I do bash the team hardcore a lot of times over the top I do admit that but I will never single out one player, as a loss cannot be pinned on one player.

Defending mediocre play btw doesn't help either, it makes you just as much of the problem as the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom