OT: - What's your favorite PHONE app? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: What's your favorite PHONE app?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What do you people like for weather apps? I have the “Weather” app that came with my iPhone and it is too basic and lacking in many ways, and I have the Weather Channel app that is better and more detailed but still not great. I like Weather Underground’s website but when I tried their app it was clumsy and slow and much less useful than their website. So I am looking for better options.

I have dark sky which isnt free but it pretty awesome.

Reaction Score
What do you people like for weather apps? I have the “Weather” app that came with my iPhone and it is too basic and lacking in many ways, and I have the Weather Channel app that is better and more detailed but still not great. I like Weather Underground’s website but when I tried their app it was clumsy and slow and much less useful than their website. So I am looking for better options.

I like the look of 'Dark Sky' that was listed above. I currently use 'MyRadar'...and end up obsessing over exactly when it's going to rain, snow or otherwise.

Reaction Score
That's dope. I might try this. YOu think it can work via Bluetooth?

They do make them that transmit via blootooth, it really depends on the OBP port machine you buy. I bought a cheaper one off amazon on prime day just to be able to look at engine codes and what not... this just happened to be a plus. But i also have actual gauges for boost in my car - what the computer in your car says and what the actual turbo output, mph, etc. on the road can sometimes be different.

I also bought an OBD 11 device specifically for VW that does a more comprehensive dive into lights and issues with german cars. Very handy for measuring the health of all pieces in the car especially more obscure ones (airbags, o2 senors, you can program lights and other customization options.) really cool stuff.

Reaction Score
I have something similar made by Blue Driver, but it connects to my phone via BlueTooth.

I really got it to deal with an issue where one of our cars was throwing out a false warning code. It cleared that issue for me, but it also puts out real time data if you use it while driving.

EA6-B2951-5-B2-F-4686-B594-4-E968319688-F.jpg

These things are worth their weight in gold. Especially if you need to quickly diagnose a problem or clear an engine code. It's easily worth the $10-$20 for a cheap one given how much a mechanic will charge just to scan your cars computer.

Reaction Score
Re Dark Sky and some other apps. I find that there are a few tech sites out there that advertise when apps go free temporarily. I guess it's for them to up their adoption, usage and ratings. I got Dark Sky for free. I also got Notability for free, which I use daily on my ipad for note taking and annotating jpgs or other documents. I tend to jump on any free app that looks remotely interesting. I can always delete and re-download in the future.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For the car:

Dashlane. It's getting too expensive, but it's a must in today's password society.

If you're just in it for the Password manager, get Lastpass. $24 per year and a great app.

Might be my most useful app.

And seconded on Dark Sky/Shazaam.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Dark Sky is my go to.

I also use MyRadar and FlowX for good weather maps

Used to use Morecast.

Reaction Score
For the car (CarPlay), I mainly use Overcast (podcasts), Audible (books), and Apple Music. I alternate between Apple Maps (no traffic) and Waze (navigating around traffic). It's useful that Apple Maps gives the next turn/haptic feedback on your watch as you drive.

On my phone, my go-tos are probably:
  • Things 3 (productivity)
  • Spark (email)
  • Nuzzel (news aggregation)
  • Google News
  • News Explorer (RSS)
  • Forecast Bar (I prefer this to Carrot, which is the typical recommendation for an Apple Watch)
  • Habitfy (habit stuff)
  • Tweetbot
  • Apollo (Reddit client)
  • Fantastical (calendar)
  • Notability (love this with the pencil and handwriting recognition)
  • Stocard (digitize all your membership cards/store cards so you don't have a janitor's keychain/Costanza wallet)
  • AnyList (groceries)
Definitely some others that I can't remember at the moment, but those are some that just make things I would do anyway a bit easier. A chunk are iOS only because I've been pretty bought into the ecosystem for a while now.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I like the look of 'Dark Sky' that was listed above. I currently use 'MyRadar'...and end up obsessing over exactly when it's going to rain, snow or otherwise.
I have to look at this app. When I commit to wwalking my dawg into the Preserve across the street it is a minimum 60 minute endeavor. I have been caught out there a number of times in the rain using WTNH radar images. Not fun for either of us.

Reaction Score
The rub with DarkSky is that it is really inaccurate around me (Raleigh), so it's doubly-frustrating to have a forecast that is as precise as it is wrong. It will tell me that rain will begin in 11 minutes and stop 18 minutes later, neither of which will end up happening. It would be an amazing source (Carrot uses it along with a Weather Underground option) if it were accurate in my area.

Reaction Score

CARROT Weather

Very informative and has a strong sense of humor. Gives by the minute breakdowns of when it'll rain and how hard. Easy to use. You can personalize the widgets or complications for the Apple watch as well.

You can even input your political leanings in the settings and it'll make jokes daily about conservatives and/or liberals if you so desire.

Reaction Score
I just got a new phone with something called T9, it has saved me a TON of time when trying to post on here. Lifesaver.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your unread emails just sent about 75 gallons of cortisol through my body.

I have a hard time anytime mine reach double digits. But people use email differently.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Weather underground was good back in the day but they got bought by the weather Channel a few years ago and offers literally the same insight as weather.com. I’ll go in with everyone else and say dark sky. I’m a bit of a weather nerd and can’t stand the sensationalism of most websites. 50 MILLION PEOPLE IN PATH OF SNOWSTORM is weather.com’s way of saying. “Snowy weather from Philadelphia to Boston”

Reaction Score
My daughters homework is 4 digit x 2 digit numbers these days. When they do them in a normal fashion I can look and see if it’s right. When they do it the dumb common core way I check it with the calculator.
Wolfram alpha. Welcome.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I have to look at this app. When I commit to wwalking my dawg into the Preserve across the street it is a minimum 60 minute endeavor. I have been caught out there a number of times in the rain using WTNH radar images. Not fun for either of us.

Try rain alert. Not a weather app but sends alerts when precipitation is approaching and shows a radar of the approaching system. It sends the alert enough in advance to avoid getting stuck in it and it's free

Reaction Score
I agree.

In Westchester, I have better luck with Google Maps or Apple Maps.
Years on this board and I never realized there was another Westchester guy on here. But yeah, I use Waze but Google Maps is more consistent

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom