OT: - What's your favorite PHONE app? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What's your favorite PHONE app?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's the best at avoiding traffic, but not the smoothest GPS app (eg, your positiong when turning/re-routing when you miss a turn). Must have for Fairfield County

IMO Waze sucks up more juice than Google Maps. And Maps does let you know through red/yellow/green highlights where the good/bad traffic is. I do some gig work delivering and Maps is fine for Pittsburgh, which has a much crazier street layout than CT in urban/suburban areas, although it doesn't get every construction detour.

Reaction Score
Untappd - This lets me rate Beer that I have tried and also allows me to see what beers my friends are drinking, what beers are available nearby, and lets my favorite breweries let me know when they add a new beer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Spotify - music - far superior to pandora, if you stream music, like to create and share playlists, and would prefer downloading albums/songs/playlists, then it's worth it. You can get new music, although some artists won't allow their new albums to be on spotify. it's about $10/month and they might still throw in Hulu for an extra $3/month.

Reaction Score
Untapped - This lets me rate Beer that I have tried and also allows me to see what beers my friends are drinking, what beers are available nearby, and lets my favorite breweries let me know when they add a new beer.
This is a great app, but it's "Untappd" if anyone is looking for it. ( you can find it by searching 'untapped' too, but just to help eliminate confusion).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As the father of a 4-month old, The Wonder Weeks is currently my favorite app. Tells me when the little guy is going through "leaps", explains each stage of his mental/physical development, and tells me when to expect extra fussiness.

The Score app does the same for me.

Go into CFB>Connecticut>Schedule

That time is the start of a weekly four hour episode.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I use Android Auto, and I don't know what I would do without it, and it's free. It's a real timesaver if your commute to work is a long one.

Bought a 2016 Mazda and Android Auto only works (spottily) if you hack the system. It's the most infuriating thing ever. Your post made me check to see if they made it backwards compatible yet (rumors were they might). And it looks like late this year they will!

Huge downside is it cost $500 to retrofit. WTF. I can see Apple Carplay, as it requires more hardware, but AA only needs software to work.

I want it integrated to my car so bad I can't even tell you, so I might pay up. Still pisses me off. I might try to hack it when it's out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Much better, imo.

Depends. Actual navigating with Waze is a PITA in a place like Boston with all the winding snakey roads.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I purchased a OBD2 wireless car sensor that plugs into my cars computer, and then use a tablet that connects to it via wifi produced by the device. I use TORQUE I believe that creates a customized dashboard that gives real time outputs from the cars computer (boost, fuel pressure, mph, rpm, engine temp, etc etc etc.). If, of course that is what you are referring to by the cars computer.

That's dope. I might try this. YOu think it can work via Bluetooth?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Depends. Actual navigating with Waze is a PITA in a place like Boston with all the winding snakey roads.
Just used it last week to get to Moakley Courthouse in Boston and thought it was fine, except at the very end, where it seemed to be confused within the Seaport streets. I wondered if the layout was too new and hadn't been updated in their maps yet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just used it last week to get to Moakley Courthouse in Boston and thought it was fine, except at the very end, where it seemed to be confused within the Seaport streets. I wondered if the layout was too new and hadn't been updated in their maps yet.

I mean, it obviously depends where you're driving. I don't need it for any of the main roads, but if I'm navigating the streets of Dorchester, it's def a PITA.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I purchased a OBD2 wireless car sensor that plugs into my cars computer, and then use a tablet that connects to it via wifi produced by the device. I use TORQUE I believe that creates a customized dashboard that gives real time outputs from the cars computer (boost, fuel pressure, mph, rpm, engine temp, etc etc etc.). If, of course that is what you are referring to by the cars computer.

I have something similar made by Blue Driver, but it connects to my phone via BlueTooth.

I really got it to deal with an issue where one of our cars was throwing out a false warning code. It cleared that issue for me, but it also puts out real time data if you use it while driving.

EA6-B2951-5-B2-F-4686-B594-4-E968319688-F.jpg

Reaction Score
Dosh - really passive cash back app, no receipts or anything necessary
Google Play Rewards - answer small surveys, get Google Play Credit for apps/games/movies/books/etc
Venmo/Cashapp - sending and receiving money to/from friends

Reaction Score
For the car:
Waze. It's great for real time traffic with crowdsourcing, but the map graphics seem a bit stale. Also, it's now available on Apple Carplay, but I find it lags a bit when turning which is annoying in cities where you have to make a few quick turns. I find myself using my car's gps or google maps more than Waze.

Shazam. When you hear a song on the radio and they don't tell you what the hell it is!

Few others (with descriptions) that I haven't seen mentioned:

Dark Sky. Very cool weather app that tells you about precipitation in your specific location in real time. It will tell you when it's going to start / stop raining, and it's very accurate.

Dashlane. It's getting too expensive, but it's a must in today's password society.

Starbucks. I like coffee.

Ring. It's been fun this Halloween when kids "ghost" our house (ring/run and leave candy for my kids). Some of the kids know what a Ring doorbell is so they try to hide, which is even funnier.

Mouthy. Totally random. It reads back anything you type in Siri's voice. People believe that when I ask Siri who the biggest a!@hole is, Siri responds that "[John] is currently considered the biggest a!@hole in the world."

Slopes. Kind of fun ski tracker.

Tripit. Great way to keep track of your travel info. Just forward all of your confirmation emails (air, hotel, car, restaurant, etc) to Tripit and it organizes them all as an itinerary.

WhiteNoise. There are a bunch of these. Helps me sleep on the road (and home).

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don't have a lot of apps. Mostly use the phone for calling, texting and browsing. The one app I do use the most is Golf Pad for estimating distances using GPS on golf courses. For someone that is rarely in the fairway and near a reliable distance marker, it is key. You can use it to keep your score as well, but I haven't bothered with that. Just distances.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Android Auto, Spotify, Music, TuneIn Radio, Discord, TheScore, etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What do you people like for weather apps? I have the “Weather” app that came with my iPhone and it is too basic and lacking in many ways, and I have the Weather Channel app that is better and more detailed but still not great. I like Weather Underground’s website but when I tried their app it was clumsy and slow and much less useful than their website. So I am looking for better options.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What do you people like for weather apps? I have the “Weather” app that came with my iPhone and it is too basic and lacking in many ways, and I have the Weather Channel app that is better and more detailed but still not great. I like Weather Underground’s website but when I tried their app it was clumsy and slow and much less useful than their website. So I am looking for better options.

I used to use Weather Underground's app but it kept crashing on me, even after I uninstalled/reinstalled. Now I just use the one that came with my phone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom