What's wrong with Gilbert now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What's wrong with Gilbert now?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Confirmed or your guess? - hoped it wasn't broken cheek bone or eye orbit.

Thanks couldn't see him from my side of the court - blocked by temple players. Noses can bleed a ton, seen it as a school nurse.

They're calling it a "facial injury" so I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Certainly a lot of our problems over the past several years are self-inflicted but I've never seen such bad luck with any sports team I've followed, it's literally one injury and freak occurence after another. I'm almost expecting a floor board to pop up and impale someone at this point.

Reaction Score
He got popped in the nose. He’s not concussed. Maybe a broken nose at worse. Hurts like hell. In the old days you plug the bleeding and get back on the court. Today they have to run you through an full neurological exam and fMRI machine if your hair is out of place. Not the kid’s fault.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
They're calling it a "facial injury" so I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
I had a vision of Alan Ray.

For those who need a refresher...Ray was a Villanova kid going after a loose ball. So was a Georgetown player. The Hoya took a swipe for the ball, missed, but ended up whacking Ray in the face so hard his eye popped out of the socket.

Reaction Score

For those who need a refresher...Ray was a Villanova kid going after a loose ball. So was a Georgetown player. The Hoya took a swipe for the ball, missed, but ended up whacking Ray in the face so hard his eye popped out of the socket.
I had the same thought\concern while he was on the floor.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

That was actually my first thought.

Only with Alterique Gilbert can you hear the announcers talking about a 'lot of blood' and actually be relieved.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
To be fair to Willie, I had no idea what happened from Gampel. I couldn't see any blood from my seats. I gathered that there was a lot of blood when they came out with all the towels, but really didn't know where it was coming from.

Reaction Score

That was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen and I can picture it as soon as you wrote your message. With our luck lately I'm surprised we've had no eyeball popouts or decapitations.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That was actually my first thought.

Only with Alterique Gilbert can you hear the announcers talking about a 'lot of blood' and actually be relieved.

Really. At least that's usually fixable, thank goodness.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

I dont think it’s that the wack was so hard. It was a freak occurrence where the GTown kid’s finger somehow wound up under Ray’s eyelid. Gruesome for sure.

Reaction Score
Certainly a lot of our problems over the past several years are self-inflicted but I've never seen such bad luck with any sports team I've followed, it's literally one injury and freak occurence after another. I'm almost expecting a floor board to pop up and impale someone at this point.

It's not bad luck.

I was there tonight. This team is awful. You don't realize how bad it is until you see them up close. Temple was toying with us. And Temple isn't even that good. The Gampel crowd got on their feet at least 7 times when we had momentum and needed a stop and each time Temple scored at will. Even before AG left it never felt like we we're gonna win it.

In the first 21 minutes I had Tarin Smith at -14. 4 missed chippies, 2 turnovers on the break which led to Temple hoops, and another turnover at the start of the 2nd that led to a Temple hoop.

Tyler Polley must have missed five 2nd half free throws. That's unbelievable.

Brendan Adams gave up a 6 point lead in the span of like a minute. (Didn't get a good view of the "intentional".

The reason GIlbert is there in the paint vs a 6'10 guy is because if he and Vital don't go down there we would literally never grab a rebound. Carlton isn't strong enough to box out and get the ball and Polley certainly isn't going to get it. So we need our guards to put their lives on the line down low. My seats didn't give me a great view but I believe AG got hurt because we failed to get the rebound and he was down there trying to get it.

Despite all of the insanely bad negative plays and bad IQ we are there because we do play hard (just not smart) and because Temple is merely decent. The 1997 and 2001 UConn teams would win 25 games in this league. That's how bad our talent is right now. We get pushed around and our best players physically taken out by Temple. We can't win games in this adequate league.

Vital, Gilbert, and Carlton are really the only even remotely UConn worthy players in this roster. One can't stay on the court and the other 2 would be coming off the bench on most UConn teams of the past.

Its not luck. There needs to be an aggressive aggressive influx of talent the next 1-2 years. We need more from this class and another 5th year grad Power 5 grad transfer. NO MORE ATLANTIC 10.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's not bad luck.

I was there tonight. This team is awful. You don't realize how bad it is until you see them up close. Temple was toying with us. And Temple isn't even that good. The Gampel crowd got on their feet at least 7 times when we had momentum and needed a stop and each time Temple scored at will. Even before AG left it never felt like we we're gonna win it.

In the first 21 minutes I had Tarin Smith at -14. 4 missed chippies, 2 turnovers on the break which led to Temple hoops, and another turnover at the start of the 2nd that led to a Temple hoop.

Brendan Adams gave up a 6 point lead in the span of like a minute. (Didn't get a good view of the "intentional".

The reason GIlbert is there in the paint vs a 6'10 guy is because if he and Vital don't go down there we would literally never grab a rebound. Carlton isn't strong enough to box out and get the ball and Polley certainly isn't going to get it. So we need our guards to put their lives on the line down low. My seats didn't give me a great view but I believe AG got hurt because we failed to get the rebound and he was down there trying to get it.

Despite all of the insanely bad negative plays and bad IQ we are there because we do play hard (just not smart) and because Temple is merely decent. The 1997 and 2001 UConn teams would win 25 games in this league. That's how bad our talent is right now. We get pushed around and our best players physically taken out by Temple. We can't win games in this merely adequate league.

Vital, Gilbert, and Carlton are really the only even remotely UConn worthy players in this roster. One can't stay on the court and the other 2 would be coming off the bench on most UConn teams of the past.

Its not luck. There needs to be an aggressive aggressive influx of talent the next 1-2 years. We need more from this class and another 5th year grad Power 5 grad transfer. AND NO MORE ATLANTIC 10.
I’m fine with grad transfers but I’m sick of getting just “bodies” to fill out a roster. Gibbs, Miller, and Kromah were all good players. Without Miller and Gibbs we’re talking about a five year tournament gap. However, other players we’ve taken in this route have just not been the caliber of player we need. We can not be bringing in guys who were bench warmers in the A10 or Ivy League.

Unfortunately, through bad recruiting and player retention we’ve been stuck in a loop where we need to get “just bodies” and this is better than giving up a four year scholarship.

My request if we get a grad transfer this year: for the love of god just bring in the best available 3 point shooter. I don’t care what other skills they have. Just give me the best shooter.

Reaction Score
It's not bad luck.

Despite all of the insanely bad negative plays and bad IQ we are there because we do play hard (just not smart) and because Temple is merely decent. The 1997 and 2001 UConn teams would win 25 games in this league. That's how bad our talent is right now. We get pushed around and our best players physically taken out by Temple. We can't win games in this adequate league.

Its not luck. There needs to be an aggressive aggressive influx of talent the next 1-2 years. We need more from this class and another 5th year grad Power 5 grad transfer. NO MORE ATLANTIC 10.
I know we suck, we've sucked for three years now but we'll be better starting next season. There are the structural things of 2/3 of our best players all transferring out but my point was about Diarra not being able to play basketball again, Alterique having horrible injury after injury, Jalen going down for the season, Larrier blowing out his knee. There have been so many little things I've lost count but when all your best players go down to serious injury and combined with those freak little things at times it has been hard for us to even field a team. There were warning signs he might be a problen but our top recruit one year turned out to be a cross dresser.

Whenever I think about the absurdity of our last few seasons I think we are paying some sort of penance for our two magical runs and Kyle Fogg's shot not going in. I also think we've completely bottomed out on the terrible stuff and big things will happen in the future.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
It's not bad luck.

I think it would be really difficult to get a Power 5 grad transfer. The rule is set up so that these kids can study something that their prospective school doesn't offer and typically they are academic over achievers. (Unless they graduated with eligibility left due to injury.) Thats why you see a lot of kids coming from A10 and ivy league is because they are good schools and Uconn offers them the oppurtunity to advance their basketball careers. P5 guys are likely to just stay and complete eligibility at their original P5 school.

Reaction Score
I give AG credit for wanting mix it up but he had no place being in there amongst all those trees! The kid is fragile

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Actually what happened was just that his eyelid got pushed behind his eye, the eye never popped out of the socket. Still painful, awful to watch and he couldn't see right away, but ultimately just a soft tissue injury and he was back within a week.

Although that incident did add to the legacy of Carl Krauser's 14-year NCAA career.

Reaction Score

That was one the nastiest things I’ve seen.

Reaction Score

"During the 2006 Big East Tournament, Ray was poked in the eye by Carl Krauser during the semifinal game against Pittsburgh. His vision apparently left him for a period of time and his eyeball had seemed to come loose from the socket, leading most to believe it was an extremely serious injury. However, his vision returned and it turned out to be only soft tissue damage. He was able to play less than a week later in the NCAA tournament, without goggles. In his first game back, he led Villanova in scoring. While on the video it appeared as though his eye came loose from the socket, his eyelid actually went behind his eye, giving off the impression of his eye coming loose."

Reaction Score
I’m fine with grad transfers but I’m sick of getting just “bodies” to fill out a roster. Gibbs, Miller, and Kromah were all good players. Without Miller and Gibbs we’re talking about a five year tournament gap. However, other players we’ve taken in this route have just not been the caliber of player we need. We can not be bringing in guys who were bench warmers in the A10 or Ivy League.

Unfortunately, through bad recruiting and player retention we’ve been stuck in a loop where we need to get “just bodies” and this is better than giving up a four year scholarship.

My request if we get a grad transfer this year: for the love of god just bring in the best available 3 point shooter. I don’t care what other skills they have. Just give me the best shooter.

We have needed shooters for quite a few years. Before the non-foul on Al he was 1-8 from three.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I like the kid , he just can't stay on the court
Really? Id say his nose is broken and he is concussed. If we see him again this season (highly unlikely) it will be with a Rip Hamilton mask on. After seeing the replay did anyone else think that if it was our center hitting their point guard that the stripes would be at the monitor deciding Flagrant 1 or 2?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Did you have to throw that one out there!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom