Whats with all the good job good effort crap | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whats with all the good job good effort crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A blowout loss in front of a less than packed stadium would have been a disaster. That didn't happen. The game was sold out and the team competed. UConn needs to show P5 conferences that it is serious about football, and last night helped.

Also, a close loss won't help save PP's job.

Reaction Score
If there was a column for moral "W's", this game would be inked in.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I understand both sides here.

I agree with whaler that this game was absolutely gift wrapped for the Huskies to win. Michigan did not look like a great team last night, and while our D had a lot to do with it, 4 turnovers including a defensive TD is a huge gift to squander. Up 14 at home in the 3rd is a game you have to win.

By the same token, I hear what everyone else is saying too. The last 3 seasons P has sapped the life out of the program and instead of growing accustomed to winning, we've grown accustomed to losing. Many of us went into the game expecting to be embarrassed on national tv, and an empty rent by halftime. Since that didn't happen, people are happy.

I look at it that this was a game we absolutely needed to win, that I didn't think we would going into it, but up 14 it became ours and we coughed it away.

The only time I remember leaving the rent this crushed was the Tim Brown td vs Rutgers after jaspers murder.

I will say this, and granted it was Michigan on ABC, but the players showed fight and the fan base is still there. it gives me hope under a new regime UConn football might just not be done yet.

Reaction Score

I agree with whaler that this game was absolutely gift wrapped for the Huskies to win. Michigan did not look like a great team last night, and while our D had a lot to do with it, 4 turnovers including a defensive TD is a huge gift to squander. Up 14 at home in the 3rd is a game you have to win.

By the same token, I hear what everyone else is saying too. The last 3 seasons P has sapped the life out of the program and instead of growing accustomed to winning, we've grown accustomed to losing. Many of us went into the game expecting to be embarrassed on national tv, and an empty rent by halftime. Since that didn't happen, people are happy.

I look at it that this was a game we absolutely needed to win, that I didn't think we would going into it, but up 14 it became ours and we coughed it away.

The only time I remember leaving the rent this crushed was the Tim Brown td vs Rutgers after jaspers murder.

I will say this, and granted it was Michigan on ABC, but the players showed fight and the fan base is still there. it gives me hope under a new regime UConn football might just not be done yet.

Well said.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My son is in a high school marching band and last night we were at a competition against other schools from around the state. Before the game, people were saying that they just hoped the Huskies weren't embarrassed on national TV. After the game started, cell phones came out and people were keeping track of how the team was doing. They were excited for the team, cheering them on, although more than one person hoped UConn wouldn't keep Pasqualoni even if the Huskies won. But these folks, casual fans who outnumber the in-depth analyst guys who get irate over one dropped pass or one guy out of position, were excited and they didn't care that the Huskies were leading because Michigan couldn't hold onto the ball. This was a team they wanted to watch to the point that some said they might see if there were single game tickets left.

Yeah, a win was the goal and the team came up short. But for the casual fan, this game was a big turnaround from the dreary performances that we've had to suffer through. People just want a team they can root for.

Reaction Score
The past two games' attendance numbers and showings prove Connecticut sports fans have been starving for top tier level athletics and UConn has filled the void. I am not even worried about being in the AAC. We're going to a "Power 5" conference. The market here is just too massive to ignore.

I hope they keep the temporary bleachers. They will probably become permanent one day. They should have planned on expanding that side before the side opposite of the press box.

Reaction Score
This is not the same team as in our first two games. We played very well, but in the end Michigan was just too good. If we play this way for the rest of the season, we're going to win at least 8 games, probably losing to Louisville but winning the others. 8-4 after starting 0-3, while going 7-1 in conference, would be a very good season.

On the other hand, if we play the rest of the season like the first two games, we're going 2-10 at best, possibly beating Buffalo and Memphis, but not anyone else.

Michigan is the #15 team in the country, and played them as well as we could without winning. We held one of the best all-around quarterbacks in the country to 161 all-purpose yards and just 97 passing yards. That's impressive. And we led for most of the game.

If I told you on Friday that we were going to lose to Michigan by 3, would you have taken it? I would have. Face it - nobody even believed we'd keep it this close. Or even remotely close. The spread was 18, and most people I talked to, even UConn fans, said that was too low.

If we play like this the rest of the season, we should do very well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Ya know, it is possible to be pleasantly surprised about the effort put in by the athletes on the team, and at the same time be pi$$ed at the coaches for not winning a game against an average-looking team (with a big name) in which we were up two touchdowns in the 3rd quarter. The two are not mutually exclusive. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone is giving PP a pass here.

Reaction Score

1000% Agreed

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's like you want me to apologize for realizing that Michigan isn't all that good.

No, it's more like you want everyone else to apologize for having a great time at the game yesterday.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, it's more like you want everyone else to apologize for having a great time at the game yesterday.

When UConn blows a 2 touchdown lead in the second half at home it takes some of the luster off for me.

I get that people can't seem to get past the Michigan name. They would be about the 8th best team in the SEC. They are a borderline top 25 team.

That so many can go home happy with a loss is another nice feather in the staff's hat. I guess once you accept losing to Temple in the same fashion Michigan doesn't seem so bad.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not everyone lives and dies by the latest UConn football game. Some people just want to be entertained and have fun rooting for the home team - last night they could. And they're not "losers" for having fun in that environment.

Reaction Score
Y
When UConn blows a 2 touchdown lead in the second half at home it takes some of the luster off for me.

I get that people can't seem to get past the Michigan name. They would be about the 8th best team in the SEC. They are a borderline top 25 team.

That so many can go home happy with a loss is another nice feather in the staff's hat. I guess once you accept losing to Temple in the same fashion Michigan doesn't seem so bad.

Yeah because 2 TD leads are all but insurmountable, right? You keep repeating that like it's almost unheard of to lose such a lead! Yawn!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Y

Yeah because 2 TD leads are all but insurmountable, right? You keep repeating that like it's almost unheard of to lose such a lead! Yawn!

Just a question of what is acceptable to me versus most I guess.

Under the circumstances that result was unacceptable to me and no amount of cheering and atmosphere changes that.

I can see past the opponent's uniforms.

Reaction Score

Where are you getting this from? Every post I read people are NOT happy with the loss but can appreciate the turn around in effort by the team, fans, atmosphere etc. You're complaining for the sake of it, someone as smart as you claim to be should be able to tell the difference

Reaction Score
UConn players, especially the defense, deserve a tremendous amount of credit for embracing the atmosphere and the opponent and willing themselves to win in spite of their coaching. When UConn gets a coach who can impose his will on a team it will be a wonderful sight to behold. Last night tells me we're not that far away from reclaiming momentum with the right hire.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not everyone lives and dies by the latest UConn football game. Some people just want to be entertained and have fun rooting for the home team - last night they could. And they're not "losers" for having fun in that environment.

If all one cares about is rooting they can actually do that every week. They don't need to wait until they have a lead against Michigan.

And no frigging kidding not everyone lives and dies by the latest result. The posters on this board generally do. Or have you not checked in the last three seasons?

Reaction Score

Under the circumstances that result was unacceptable to me and no amount of cheering and atmosphere changes that.

I've watched football my entire life...and a 2 TD lead is nothing...has nothing to do with the laundry...

Reaction Score

You can't see past crap. The reality is that there were so many potential bad outcomes for this high-profile, nationally televised game. A win would have been transformational (everybody here knows that). However, embarrassing ourselves could have set the program back for years. Instead we "pushed" by losing a hard fought, close game. I can't imagine any UCONN fan not being disappointed in the loss.

From a national perspective, UCONN looked like a P5 team. The stadium looked good, the fan base looked good (when it got air time), the defense looked good, the offense had some moments. Unfortunately, the same old ailments continue to sabotage any forward progress, and as always, at the most precarious of times.

By the way, thanks for the heads up that Michigan is over-rated (sarcasm). But as far as the general public is concerned they are "perceived" a football power and to the average fan watching UCONN was playing toe-to-toe with them. It was good football, even if the outcome wasn't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've watched football my entire life...and a 2 TD lead is nothing...has nothing to do with the laundry...

LOL so when they did the same thing against Temple last year. Why was the reaction different?

This is patently ridiculous: Teams up 14 at home mid way through the 3rd with the ball and acceptable field position win the vast vast majority of the time.

If UConn had come back down 21-7 at the Big House I guess we could have chalked that up to not a big deal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can't see past crap. The reality is that there were so many potential bad outcomes for this high-profile, nationally televised game. A win would have been transformational (everybody here knows that). However, embarrassing ourselves could have set the program back for years. Instead we "pushed" by losing a hard fought, close game. I can't imagine any UCONN fan not being disappointed in the loss.

From a national perspective, UCONN looked like a P5 team. The stadium looked good, the fan base looked good (when it got air time), the defense looked good, the offense had some moments. Unfortunately, the same old ailments continue to sabotage any forward progress, and as always, at the most precarious of times.

By the way, thanks for the heads up that Michigan is over-rated (sarcasm). But as far as the general public is concerned they are "perceived" a football power and to the average fan watching UCONN was playing toe-to-toe with them. It was good football, even if the outcome wasn't.

You are caught up in the outcomes from BEFORE THE GAME. Once it's 21-7 in the third quarter the universe of outcomes is quite different.

That so many people's expectations were wrong going into the game does not make that collapse any better.

And clearly this board needs it to be pointed out Michigan is overrated - because the overwhelming majority of posts predicted this Michigan team would run up the score. It's right there to re-read if you need a reminder.

Reaction Score
You are caught up in the outcomes from BEFORE THE GAME. Once it's 21-7 in the third quarter the universe of outcomes is quite different.

That so many people's expectations were wrong going into the game does not make that collapse any better.

And clearly this board needs it to be pointed out Michigan is overrated - because the overwhelming majority of posts predicted this Michigan team would run up the score. It's right there to re-read if you need a reminder.

From a micro-view, you are right. From a macro-view, the evening could have had a much worse outcome for UCONN. Does this mean I'm not disappointed in the loss? No. Does this mean I'm not infuriated at yet another lapse at the most critical of times? No. This isn't a moral victory, and people forget close losses far more quickly than close wins. Having said that, many of the players stepped up at a critical time and deserve credit for that.

Getting back to perceptions. . .if we can host Michigan in this fashion, it's not unreasonable to see us hosting Ohio State or Penn State in similar fashion; or FSU or Clemson. To the average viewer, UCONN "played" the part. This game is not going to help our record, but it helps in positioning UCONN as a viable P5 candidate (of course not as much as winning would have).

Granted, there were some fans giving Michigan too much credit. But after the first two games, it may have as much to do with a loss of faith in UCONN. My concern is that your comments, even if true, contribute to this perception. Consider this, UCONN had a ONE possession lead at halftime against a nationally ranked team. With both teams scoring touchdowns in Q3, UCONN had a ONE possession lead at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Could they have nursed their way to a victory with competent coaching and quarterback play? Yes, but they didn't. Unquestionably, we were positioned for an upset and blew a golden opportunity. A full on collapse, probably an overstatement.

Reaction Score
I only read the first page of this discussion so far, but I'm agreeing with Whaler - unbelievable, but I do. The packed stadium, the cheering crowd, the television exposure, it's all signs of what we all know - what UCONN football can be. But we're not yet. Not close. Becuase the program that deserves that kind of attention regularly, would have put their foot down on this Michigan team's throat and stomped their guts out. 21-7 in the third quarter, and our offense falls apart. We miss a field goal late, and hope for OT.

The exposure, is priceless though. We need to win games if we're going to expect to have nights like that at home regularly.

I am very concerned with our game next week. Last time we came of a high energy, emotional game, we had to travel to a ghost town of a stadium in Western michigan and we sleepwalked through the game, and lost. Next week we go to inspiring.............Buffalo. And I guarantee that Buffalo is going to want to make us 0-4.

Realistically, going into this season 1-2 at this point, would not be a stretch - 0-3 sucks , and I don't think Paul Pasqualoni survives losing to Towson, it's just a matter of time as to when he resigns or is fired, but we can still turn this season around, 1 game at a time. We've still got 9 games to play, and one week at a time, and we can get back to a fighting chance at making a post season game one week at a time now.

And once again, I've said this a thousand times if I"ve said it once - when there is a ranked team playing at Rentschler, I would prefer it to be us, rather than the opponent.

We got a lot of work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer