What's up with MoJeff? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What's up with MoJeff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No way.

Z- I'm very uncomfortable even thinking such a thought, but these are young kids, emotionally immature, inexperienced youngsters. Please, this is NOT NOT NOT an indictment of Moriah, just the machinations of an overworked, tired mind. HELL, I LOVE MORIAH JEFFERSON. She is a fantastic player (my favorite) and a wonderful youngster. But anything is possible, and for weeks there has been endless speculation about Moriah's early-season disappointing performance which hasn't matched lofty expectations. I would think it absolutely normal for any kid, especially after the outstanding championship year Moriah was such an integral part of, to be a bit put off by all the celebratory hype the new kid KNurse has received, a player who also just happens to play the point. Moriah is the ultimate competitor, and maybe she's been going out on the court trying to do too much, feeling she has to prove she's great too- which she doesn't have to do because we already know it. Hey, anything is possible. I went through this very same situation with my own kids. It happens, it's life.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
She's playing to fast. She's needs to slow down and let the game come to her. As a point guard get everybody else involved far as penetrating kicking out to KML and Nurse than drive let the defense collapse and dish to stewie and Morgan kiah. And than the lane will open up for her. Also work on her pull up
Moriah has a pull-up?

Reaction Score
She does not disappear. She's got 2 or 3 defenders literally hanging all over her which is why you'll see players like Moriah WIDE open. When Maya played, she was usually alongside Tina Charles and Kaleena so defenses had to choose their poison and Maya could always make them pay for leaving "only" one defender on her. But this year, teams seem to be willing to leave KML relatively unguarded to triple team Breanna, that's just how good she is.

Maya or D was never double teamed? Go watch the film and you will that they where double and triple teamed just as much as Stewart.

Reaction Score
Moriah has a pull-up?
Well she's not hitting or taken them enough because at times she is over penetrating. The bottom line is she has to play better in big games

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maya or D was never double teamed? Go watch the film and you will that they where double and triple teamed just as much as Stewart.
Defenders would leave Maya to cover Tina. Morgan had a fantastic day on Saturday and she worked hard to earn her 25 points so I'm not taking anything away from her but did you ever wonder why there were so many open lanes to the basket? Notre Dame is a well-coached team, no way they leave that much open space unless defenders were unwilling to leave Breanna. This is value that Breanna gives to the team, too, she gets her teammates more open just by being on the floor.

Diana also double and triple teamed but usually by guards and she was a big guard. Stewie has forwards and guards on her.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hmmm, we are what now 7 and 1? We just beat the number 1/2 team depending on the poll observed by 18 points! Stewie was 14 and 9... Moriah defended what is more than likely the number two player in the country...(at the end of the day Stewie will be the number one player in the land) and Moriah is very close to last year's numbers and off by a smidgen. We are working two freshmen in the regular line-up (Gabby and Kia Nurse), we are working Tuck into the starting line-up after a couple of years of inconsistency due to injuries and recovery, we are converting Kiah Stokes from a bench role player to a starter or first off the bench who impacts the game at the defensive end. We are trying to replace two All American's (Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson). Moriah's job is to make everybody better, to run the team, to be another coach on the floor, to provide leadership, to be a defensive stopper, to attack the basket when she can and to knock down the open three. You don't think there is a lot on the kid's plate? Really? It is early we are still in early December, before the Christmas break. By the way this team is averaging more than last years team at this point. As far as the nonsense as to whether or not Breanna Stewart will be talked about in the same sentence with DT and Maya...that what the talk is...nonsense. We have never had a kid like B. Stewart at UConn. Her skill set is unique and believe me we are lucky to have her... What if she went to ND...how many championships would they have. Here's the rub on that talk...Stewart could win 4 national championships...Neither DT, nor Maya, not Chamique Holdsclaw did that...the question could become should we speak of DT, Maya and Holdsclaw in the same sentence as Stewie? Is Stewie in a class all by herself? If she wins four championships (metaphorically speaking...since I know it takes a team) she will be!

Reaction Score
Defenders would leave Maya to cover Tina. Morgan had a fantastic day on Saturday and she worked hard to earn her 25 points so I'm not taking anything away from her but did you ever wonder why there were so many open lanes to the basket? Notre Dame is a well-coached team, no way they leave that much open space unless defenders were unwilling to leave Breanna. This is value that Breanna gives to the team, too, she gets her teammates more open just by being on the floor.

Diana also double and triple teamed but usually by guards and she was a big guard. Stewie has forwards and guards on her.
You're right about the open lanes, and to be honest that's great strategy on coach's part. I was thinking about this the other day. If they're going to focus defensive efforts on Stewie and KML, make it difficult and keep them on the perimeter on opposite sides and the defense will have some rather large holes in the middle.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Consider this; MoJet and Bria had played together for two years and had come to know just about exactly what each other would do and where they would go. Now Mo is working with one new and one semi-new partners, with whom she has hot yet established that rapport. They will be a well-synchronized team by March. Not to worry.

Reaction Score
What I liked about Stewie in the ND game is that she didn't get frustrated and force things. There were a few times where she did demand the ball as she got position, but I liked how she kept herself under control. I think the double-teaming and banging has thrown off her rhythm and lowered her shot %. I also think that her teammates will get better about getting her the ball in the right position when she is open. I think they have been missing a number of opportunities due to not yet being completely in sync. I also think that opposing teams may have to change their strategy a bit if the rest of the team steps up and beats them big-time if they concentrate on stopping only two players.
I suspect that Moriah is trying to "step up" and "take control" since there is so much talk about that. Unfortunately she has pressed too hard and been out of control at times. I too, would really like to see more of a pull up jumper!

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Well she's not hitting or taken them enough because at times she is over penetrating. The bottom line is she has to play better in big games
When I envision a pull-up jumper I see Renee Montgomery flying down the court then stopping on a dime and taking a true jump shot. Of course as Dennis Miller would say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Reaction Score
BurE="Huskies Rule, post: 1160735, member: 5245"]Hmmm. That never occurred to me. That really is an excellent point (though I hope it isn't so)[/QUOTE]
Nurse is out playing je
When I envision a pull-up jumper I see Renee Montgomery flying down the court then stopping on a dime and taking a true jump shot. Of course as Dennis Miller would say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
Or sue bird. I dont ever see Mojeff stop on a dime and knock it down consistanly.

Reaction Score
It is simple, all this all Nurse all the time is grating on her just like it is any other sane person. See used to be number 1 now geno has a new love.

Reaction Score
1---- I have always loved Dt and MM's games in part because they were so damn hard to double-team. They were seldom "triple-teamed." IMO MM's half-court game was/is superior to Angel M's. Angel has to drive in traffic. She winds getting "triple-teamed." Maya is better.

2--- DT - how the heck can you triple-team her other than a rare occasion. She - like Maya - played a ton on the perimter. And Maria and Ann could shoot.

3--- Stewie when she goes in the paint is really getting both double and sometimes triple teamed. She'll get better throughout her career handling it. It would be benfical to her if MoJeff could shoot vs the "Stanford's and Notre Dame's." Stewie's mere presnece makes everyone much better. While Dt and Maya were better shooters and their presence also was benefical to teammates, Stewie imo her presence is "more." Not saying who is better - irrelevant so early -- but Stewie really does consistently draw double/triple teams when she goes in the post which is why UCONN can get off an open 3 anytime they want whenever Stewie goes to the post.

4---- MoJeff has many jobs/responsisbilities because she can handle it. Someone brought up about all the food she has on her plate. Well imo she will eventually handle it all- but right now she is allergic to some of her food (shooting for one thing) on certain days when she plays a top tier team. Just because she shoots extremely well vs sub-tier teams and it bumps her average - it shouldn't excuse (When I say the word "excuse" -- all I mean is that she is capable of doing a megaton better) so far two poor shooting performances vs Stanford and ND which they leave her wide open. On offense MoJeff owes it to herself and her teammates to be more than just direct traffic and pass on offense. She has to knock down shots when she is wide open at least at a decent level. THAT also makes her teammates "better" (the ability to hit shots and make other teams pay for sagging so extremely on Stewie). Shooting is a basketball fundamental. For a small guard with her potential - at least for me - I don't think she should just relegate herself to be known as "can do all other things but can't shoot." Faris was able to shoot her sr year. I want to see MoJeff do it her jr year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Moriah's been working on that shot (as per earlier reports),
and actually took one or two in Florida (unfortunately, they didn't go in).
It's a true pull-up jumper…a legit one Ice!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Overall, Moriah has played pretty well. She did play good defense against Notre Dame, but the two games where she struggled were against ND and Stanford, both of whom have guards that are stronger (and taller) and nearly as fast as she is. It appeared to affect her confidence somewhat when she couldn't do the same things against them that she can against most opponents. She will adjust and improve in these situations.

Reaction Score
The thing that frustrates me about Stewart is that she sometimes disappears during games. For as talented an offensive player as she is there is no reason that she should go without scoring for prolonged periods. She lacks that killer instinct that D and Maya had in which they would find a way to score at all cost when the team needed it. Stewart needs to develop that "you can't stop me" attitude and when the game is on the line and we need a bucket "just get me the damn ball and get out of the way". I think it is only a matter of time before she will become more consistent and more aggressive and when that happens look out.
Really?

Reaction Score
I think she thought this was her team this year and all the hype about Nurse is bothering her.

Possibly. Also add in that Geno was looking for a player to step up and become the team leader. I think MoJett may have put that pressure on herself also instead of just being herself. I believe leaders rise to the occasion and trying to force it never works well! Hopefully Tuck will emerge as the team leader (as she has done on USA teams) and MoJett can settle in to her significant role. She is a special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom