What's up with MoJeff? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What's up with MoJeff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's safe to say that Stewie will not be the GOAT, so can we please stop with all that nonsense? She will never be the reincarnation of Maya and/or D no matter how much we wish it so.
Could you share some of your stock picks, too? My portfolio could use a guaranteed boost. ;)

Reaction Score
I disagree. She really doesn't. She's well into her junior campaign and unless things change soon, yeah she will be remembered as a top 10 player, but won't be in the same club as Maya or D.
I totally disagree with you on this. She's as good as both of them. This year every time she goes down low she is doubled and tripled up. I said it before she is passing the ball better from the top of the key and Tuck and Stokes will be better for that. I will also say this again, that you can't score if you don't get the ball. Geno had said earlier after or during a game that he wants a fast paced game. That's good if the opportunity presents itself but MoJett and especially Nurse are playing too fast and playing too much one on one when the opportunity isn't there resulting in way too many turnovers. I really think that's been the issue with MoJett she's pressing too fast and not setting up the offense like last year and that's an adjustment her and Nurse both have to work out. Stewie will be just fine this year and by the way she will Have four National Championships before she's done and probably at least 3 POY awards before she's done. Who else can say that? GO UCONN

Reaction Score
Re: Moriah
Maybe we need to revisit Bria Hartley's ND game last year. She played poorly. Doesn't change our long-term view of her as a UConn player. It happens. (And Moriah played well)
I thought Moriah played really well in FLA. I agree she needs to work on playing within herself. At this point I am not making any conclusions about her "disappointing junior year".

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I am extremely disappointed in both Stewart and Jefferson - they have been so completely overhyped and their true natures are finally coming out! Jefferson is a turnover machine and really scoring challenged and Stewart, don't get me started. Add in the fact that KML obviously can't get through a season without getting sick and it just proves how pathetic the women's game is tat Uconn can still be ranked in the top 10. Thank goodness for the freshman!:cool::eek::rolleyes:

OK - meds have kicked in and I got that panic out of my system!
I was worried when I first saw Moriah's 0-8 line that she had been jacking threes but most of her shots were blown layups - she had a really cold shooting day - it happens (ask DT.) And ND generally plays really good defense. Stewart was missing bunnies as well.
I think Uconn is still struggling to adapt their offensive this year to Dolson not being there (sort of like they struggled last year when Dolson was not on the floor.) They have trouble getting KML open, Stewart misses the entry passes and screens Dolson set, Moriah is playing with a freshman rather than a senior as her back court mate. Nurse is playing great, but Moriah had two years to develop a rapport with Bria and it will take some time to so the same with Nurse.

I agree that the impact of Dolson's high post play on 'O', and general presence on 'D', to Mo's past successes cannot be overestimated. Stef made Mo "Mo' betta". :rolleyes: That said she is a very talented player and she and the coaches will figure it out.

Reaction Score
I disagree. She really doesn't. She's well into her junior campaign and unless things change soon, yeah she will be remembered as a top 10 player, but won't be in the same club as Maya or D.
You're joking right?

Reaction Score
Can anyone really explain the concept of being great all of the time? Once you are as good as your gonna get, you have attained your level of greatness. Perhaps Spitfire has become as good as she is gonna be, a high energy, defensive stalwart whose only threat to score comes from steals and out racing people to the basket... she's a game manager, not a floor general, nothing clutch, not a "go to" player. And on a team with emerging stars and proven performers, she just doesn't have to be any better than we may want her to be for UConn to win number 10...

Reaction Score
Even in the uC Davis game, she seemed different -- more passive, less explosive.
Then there was the Stanford debacle and the first half today. Really not effective at all, and pushing things too much on offense and making bad decisions.
She at least played better defense in the 2nd half, but still she was 0-8 with 5 turnovers.

I thought she'd be 2nd team AA this year. So far not even close. Odd and disconcerting.

Perhaps it's the hair?
Can anyone really explain the concept of being great all of the time? Once you are as good as your gonna get, you have attained your level of greatness. Perhaps Spitfire has become as good as she is gonna be, a high energy, defensive stalwart whose only threat to score comes from steals and out racing people to the basket... she's a game manager, not a floor general, nothing clutch, not a "go to" player. And on a team with emerging stars and proven performers, she just doesn't have to be any better than we may want her to be for UConn to win number 10..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A home run hitter that hits home runs off bad pitching and hits home runs when game is already won is nice but his hitting is an illusion when it comes to playoff time. The type of team that is going to beat us is a top 10 team --and in those two games so far MoJeff is 2-15 with just 6 points with 8 assists and five turnovers. It's on the thing to be doubled - in a way Stewie is. It's understandable if she was sick. Or if she is being gaurded by an elite player designed to shut her down. But that hasn't been the case.

MoJeff hasn't played like the one of the 11th best players in wcbb which was her projection to start the season and she is still being left wide open by the top-tier teams. The Notre Dame defense was giving her wide open shots as well as Stanford. I expected her to grow during her jr year not remain near stagnant from last year. Notre Dame and Stanford aren't doing anything special with her on the halfcourt sets except they are much more quick/long/athetic to contest her when she gets in the lane. But they are leaving her wide open from the outside and she hasn't converted now vs two top tier teams that have the potential to knock us off in March/April.
I total agree that Uconn is terrible against 'top ten' teams (the two they have played) - against everyone else they average 92.6 ppg and in regulation against top 10 teams their average is a measly 76.5. They average around 44% shooting against top 10 teams vs. their 55% against all others. I could go on and on to prove that Uconn against good teams is a statistical nightmare, sort of like home run hitters that strike out against and have fewer home runs against the best pitchers every year and seldom does the best offensive team win a world series, unless they also have exceptional defense and pitching.
The season is under 20% complete and the team is in transition as it is every year - but this year is a much more fundamental transition because of the specific players that have graduated. The team is still learning its identity on defense and offense. I just think this line of inquiry is way to early in the year and based on a very small sample size.

Reaction Score
I total agree that Uconn is terrible against 'top ten' teams (the two they have played) - against everyone else they average 92.6 ppg and in regulation against top 10 teams their average is a measly 76.5. They average around 44% shooting against top 10 teams vs. their 55% against all others. I could go on and on to prove that Uconn against good teams is a statistical nightmare, sort of like home run hitters that strike out against and have fewer home runs against the best pitchers every year and seldom does the best offensive team win a world series, unless they also have exceptional defense and pitching.
The season is under 20% complete and the team is in transition as it is every year - but this year is a much more fundamental transition because of the specific players that have graduated. The team is still learning its identity on defense and offense. I just think this line of inquiry is way to early in the year and based on a very small sample size.

1--- UCONN played well enough compartively vs the ND teams we've played in the past- so we aren't terrible vs top ten teams. I'm sure if there was an overall average of how much UCONN's overall individual stats for each player dropped from other teams other than ND vs ND in the last several years we'd see that MoJeff'ss offensive performnace was probably among the worst ever yet she is still being left wide open in halfcourt sets. At least for example Bria Hartley had an excuse between her injuries and being guarded by Diggins etc.

2--- While overall individual stats may drop vs top ten teams the degree they have dropped for one particular player on this team (vs the other 5) is horrific.

3--- We all look at stats differently. You can look at the stats you want - and I'll look at the stats I want and we can agree to disagree which stats to use - thta's no big deal. It's the beauty of the game-- just as "who is better DT or Maya etc." - which stats to use or what is beauty (eye test) in the eye of the beholder.

3A--- For me to further draw upon my analogy -- The home run hitter last year couldn't hit good pitching at the end of the season because it was found out that he couldn't hit curveball (i.e MoJeff vs these top teir teams is being left wide open because they don't think she can shoot.). To start the season thus far they are telling her the curveball is coming (and she had an entrie summer to work on it) and so far she can't hit it again.

IMO it is okay to bring this up. She still isn't hitting the curve. I have confidence she will break through too. But I don't see any problem talking about it on this board until she does.

Reaction Score
Last year, opponents game-planned for Bria, giving Moriah some breathing room to do her thing. Now, teams are trying to affect Moriah's distribution, forcing her to go where she doesn't want to go, and making her shoot from spots she'd rather not shoot from. It's new to her but she's a smart kid and has a great coaching staff to help her - she'll figure it out. The addition of Kia Nurse will definitely help as defenses try to affect her rhythm and give Moriah a bit more space to operate.

I don't agree entirely. In halfcourt sets there is only so much a defense can do vs a superior team. They have to "give" something. You can't shut down everything if you dont't have the talent / aren't good enough. You develop a game plan to minimize the other team's effectiveness. I don't believe they are "forcing" MoJeff into taking bad 3point shots very often. IMO they are giving her wide open 3's.

I want MoJeff to be at least that projected top 11 player that she was preseason. Right now she isn't close to that. The title may come anyways - but I want so much more for her too. I think she has teh potential to become a tremendous pro player. One thing imo she must be able to do is shoot. I don't think anyone can disagree that she is being left wide open at the 3 point line vs Stanford and ND the last two times she played both, right?

She is currently 0-10 from 3 in these last four games (2 vs ND and 2 vs Stanford) vs ND and Stanford in which the defense is all but giving her the open 3. IMO this is 0-10 is a trend not an aberration. And I look forward to when she breaks it. The next time we paly ND (and maybe Stanford) they will give her the open 3again. Are any of us certain at this moment she'll smoke the nets like she has done vs the far inferior teams? I "think" she will "this year."

Reaction Score
I totally disagree with you on this. She's as good as both of them. This year every time she goes down low she is doubled and tripled up. I said it before she is passing the ball better from the top of the key and Tuck and Stokes will be better for that. I will also say this again, that you can't score if you don't get the ball. Geno had said earlier after or during a game that he wants a fast paced game. That's good if the opportunity presents itself but MoJett and especially Nurse are playing too fast and playing too much one on one when the opportunity isn't there resulting in way too many turnovers. I really think that's been the issue with MoJett she's pressing too fast and not setting up the offense like last year and that's an adjustment her and Nurse both have to work out. Stewie will be just fine this year and by the way she will Have four National Championships before she's done and probably at least 3 POY awards before she's done. Who else can say that? GO UCONN

Stewie is a beast. Her mere presence gives her team open shots. It's underappreciated. She's right there with DT and Maya comparing jr year vs jr year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't agree entirely. In halfcourt sets there is only so much a defense can do vs a superior team. They have to "give" something. You can't shut down everything if you dont't have the talent / aren't good enough. You develop a game plan to minimize the other team's effectiveness. I don't believe they are "forcing" MoJeff into taking bad 3point shots very often. IMO they are giving her wide open 3's.
I'm not talking about Moriah's offense; I'm talking about her floor game in general. Defenses always try to control tempo and to make the point guard uncomfortable by forcing her to unfamiliar spots on the floor or taking away her usual passing lanes. Well coached teams, like ND, know an opposing point guard's tendencies and try to make her as uncomfortable as possible. When the floor game is off kilter, it affects the rest of the player's game, including her offense.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about Moriah's offense; I'm talking about her floor game in general. Defenses always try to control tempo and to make the point guard uncomfortable by forcing her to unfamiliar spots on the floor or taking away her usual passing lanes. Well coached teams, like ND, know an opposing point guard's tendencies and try to make her as uncomfortable as possible. When the floor game is off kilter, it affects the rest of the player's game, including her offense.

I can see that. I wouldn't be surprsed that would be a continual "struggle" for some time.

Reaction Score
Saving herself for when we really need her. Giving others the chance to shine. Lulling the opposition into a false sense of security.

Filling in the role Bria played last year...

Reaction Score
The thing that frustrates me about Stewart is that she sometimes disappears during games. For as talented an offensive player as she is there is no reason that she should go without scoring for prolonged periods. She lacks that killer instinct that D and Maya had in which they would find a way to score at all cost when the team needed it. Stewart needs to develop that "you can't stop me" attitude and when the game is on the line and we need a bucket "just get me the damn ball and get out of the way". I think it is only a matter of time before she will become more consistent and more aggressive and when that happens look out.

Reaction Score
What's with all the haters? Jeez, you'd think we lost to ND or something.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I'm going to say something here that will probably get me a bunch of grief - but it actually comes from my wife who has often mentioned that off games may be the result of a m0nthly cycle.

COULD BE!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The thing that frustrates me about Stewart is that she sometimes disappears during games. For as talented an offensive player as she is there is no reason that she should go without scoring for prolonged periods. She lacks that killer instinct that D and Maya had in which they would find a way to score at all cost when the team needed it. Stewart needs to develop that "you can't stop me" attitude and when the game is on the line and we need a bucket "just get me the damn ball and get out of the way". I think it is only a matter of time before she will become more consistent and more aggressive and when that happens look out.
She does not disappear. She's got 2 or 3 defenders literally hanging all over her which is why you'll see players like Moriah WIDE open. When Maya played, she was usually alongside Tina Charles and Kaleena so defenses had to choose their poison and Maya could always make them pay for leaving "only" one defender on her. But this year, teams seem to be willing to leave KML relatively unguarded to triple team Breanna, that's just how good she is.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm a strong believer in Moriah's upside and expect to see it on display more regularly soon.

Last year's team was more of a finesse team.
The two (perhaps 3) of the new position players are Bull-in-the China Shop types.
At Notre Dame they dominated the game.
(And please do not take this as a implied criticism in any way; I'm thrilled by the post patterns run by Morgan and Kia).

That means the Stewie, K, and especially Moriah have to adjust to a new set of court side logistics.
Moriah being a principal focal point is struggling a bit
And she may not be 100% physically.
I still recall a boot last month.

But talent and coaching prevails.
UConn has both.
We're well into the season now, talk about Stef and Bria is becoming old hat and irrelevant.

The team hasn't completely discovered its identity yet.

But I pray for the survival of our opponents when it does.

Reaction Score
Stewie is a beast. Her mere presence gives her team open shots. It's underappreciated. She's right there with DT and Maya comparing jr year vs jr year.
She is a beast but isnt playing like one. Her shot is off at this point I've seen her miss a lot of easy buckets around the rim. Instead of demanding or going to get the ball she wait for it to come to her

Reaction Score
I totally agree with Rad Lady and MilfordHusky. We should be celebrating a great victory not harping on every perceived deficiency. Not so long ago Kaleena was being attacked. Hard to believe. She is only leading the team in minutes and shooting nearly 60%. For years there was constant vilification of Bria. Now that she is gone we only speak highly of her. Be happy with the great team that we have and that will only get better.

Reaction Score
On UConn All-Access, I remember CD positing (with coaches concurring) that she thought Moriah was most likely to step up as the leader on this year's team. I think that has put a ton of pressure on Mo, from outside and from within. Maybe she's struggling internally with all the pressure and self-expectations, just as Stewie did for quite a stretch early last year. Plus, when ND plays well off of her and dares Moriah to beat them from the outside, and you miss that first shot or two- that can get inside your head, an opponent saying you can't shoot worth a damn. And there were several ugly misses tonight. Many of her turnovers were the result of playing too fast, trying to do so much and not letting the game come to her. Many turnovers were self-inflicted giveaways. ND didn't take it from her- she gave it to them. And as superb as Nurse is playing, Mo doesn't have that partner with the big outside shot like Hartley- Mo and KNurse are more penetrators and distributors. I think Moriah will become more comfortable and revert to Nancy Lieberman form as the season progresses. She just needs to believe in herself as much as we do.
I think she thought this was her team this year and all the hype about Nurse is bothering her.

Reaction Score
I think she thought this was her team this year and all the hype about Nurse is bothering her.

Hmmm. That never occurred to me. That really is an excellent point (though I hope it isn't so)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom