What's Next | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What's Next

Reaction Score
In the limited minutes that she has played, I think she has shown a potential to be a very good shooter around the perimeter.
Amari could have a role like Prechtel at Stanford, who is also a talented perimeter shooter. But Prechtel's not a force in the lane, which necessarily limits her minutes. The same would be true for Amari. We already have enough perimeter shooters, and Amari would be a drag on team speed if she only works outside.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Also in the recent thread about high school All Americans, both of our incoming freshmen are on the team. We should have high expectations from them as the rest of the basketball world seems to think they're pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
Amari could have a role like Prechtel at Stanford, who is also a talented perimeter shooter. But Prechtel's not a force in the lane, which necessarily limits her minutes. The same would be true for Amari. We already have enough perimeter shooters, and Amari would be a drag on team speed if she only works outside.
we do, but when a 4/5 can consistently make 15-20 footers, it pulls the oppositions' 4/5 away from the basket opening the lane for our guards to drive. When Liv, Dorka and Ae weren't guarded , their defenders clogged the lane, thwarting our drives.

Reaction Score
Now that the season is over one victory from a national championship and we have had time to reflect on the loss to South Carolina, it is time as many have already noted to turn the page and to begin seriously to think about next season.

As of this time, we have Piath Gabriel in the transfer portal, not to mention the two players who bailed during the season. Fairfield’s Lou Lopez-Senechal will be playing for UConn next season. The 6.1 guard who averaged over 19 points last season appears to be a good pickup. Two intriguing additional possibilities are Latisha Lattimore, an injured 6.4 frosh who played for Texas and is a friend of Aaliyah Edwards, and 6.4 forward Kadi Sissoko from Minnesota. Given all the injuries the Huskies sustained last season, the addition of both a guard and a big girl seems wise.

The team has the core for success in returning players and two highly touted recruits coming to Storrs. In theory we have eleven players, but given the injuries over the past season this is not enough and a number of questions exist about the future.

First, can we expect Aubrey Griffin to return and play with the intensity she did before her back surgery? I am doubtful, yet hopeful.

Is it possible for the Huskies to undergo a season without serious injuries?

Will we see the 100% recovery of Paige, Dorka, Caroline, and Azzi and will Azzi be able, if completely healthy, to create her own shots?

Will DeBarry use the summer to make herself into a player who will be a major contributor to the team the upcoming season?

Will Brady and Patterson be significant contributors to the team next season?

Since Gabriel is on campus to finish the semester, is it possible that she will change her mind and return to Storrs for next season?

Lastly, what benefit will the team get from the transfer portal? What we have seen so far is promising.

The transfer questions should shake out in a few weeks and we can hope that the team will be able to successfully compete with big and physical teams like South Carolina for it appears that the Gamecocks have established a new parameter for success on the national stage. Moreover, both South Carolina and Baylor have mastered the rent-a-player scenario.
Very nice assessment and analysis of our current and prospective players and their overall contributions for next year. One minor correction: Sissoko from Minnesota is not 6'4"--she's closer to 6'2", but I agree she would be a nice addition to the team...

Reaction Score
I just finished reading all the posts.

I already miss Liv, CW, and E.

Obviously there are a lot of variables that will affect « what’s next. » I’ll bring up just three.

I was surprised that Azzi was mentioned so few times in this thread. I believe she is a much better player than she showed last season. If she can play to her potential, UConn will be a different team.

Dawn Staley said Paige was only 70 percent during the tournament. Next season Paige will be 100 percent and the undisputed team leader without any need to defer to upperclassmen. Leadership on the court matters.

I’ve watched videos of Lou, and I think she could be a huge factor next season. Athletic, fluid, smart, can find her own shots, even against Texas. I don’t think she’ll start at UConn, but if she ended up starting one day, I wouldn’t be shocked.

Two other things. SC was great, arguably the best team in the country, but I think people exaggerate their greatness. They were beatable. Also, I can’t believe I have to wait months for the next season.

Reaction Score
Insurance & certainty are operative concepts here re: portal-procured depth. Geno recruits best HS talent & can certainly project immediate major D1 minutes/ impact but no guarantee until he actually sees them in action: practice & games.

Hard to convince proven, coveted portal player to come to Storrs when HC will not promise any PT unless earned & existing roster/pipeline so talented/deep.

Aubrey is not a big IMO— not when stacking up to best competition nor assessing her size/tools/pro positional projection. She is a wing that I think will play like one upon her court return: more outside shooting, cuts in lane, & drives from perimeter. AG played as a big due to roster necessity & immediate skillset when she arrived; this is no longer the case on both counts. Her shot has improved & she has more post teammates with ideal size for position.

Reaction Score
She could have an "Offensive" inside "center" that has good enough team speed; then her speed would equate to that of a center/5 while the Offensive player playing the inside "center" would be more of a 4 with her speed.

I like long-term the odds of her and the two frosh at least ONE being able to be a good sub off the bench this upcoming year (extremely extremely extremely extremely extremely slim at least one won't be good this year.). I think it crucial for Amari to also be able to get in the paint some and not just flutter outside. She had such amazing enthusiasm on the bench. I'm hoping that carries over to the following season with her play (and a joy to also bang in the paint to some degree).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I always try to keep my expectations in check, next year we will have one of the most balanced teams I remember at UConn. High upside backups in every position. Having practices that see tougher competition than most of the games has to create a stronger team and help all players expand their skills. Unless there is someone out there I haven't heard of, my suggestion is to invest in the talent we have today.

Reaction Score
She could have an "Offensive" inside "center" that has good enough team speed; then her speed would equate to that of a center/5 while the Offensive player playing the inside "center" would be more of a 4 with her speed.

I like long-term the odds of her and the two frosh at least ONE being able to be a good sub off the bench this upcoming year (extremely extremely extremely extremely extremely slim at least one won't be good this year.). I think it crucial for Amari to also be able to get in the paint some and not just flutter outside. She had such amazing enthusiasm on the bench. I'm hoping that carries over to the following season with her play (and a joy to also bang in the paint to some degree).
I like Amari's potential in the paint, too. I think she has it in her to be a rebounder and shot blocker. I was only thinking of what it would mean if she was asked to be only a perimeter threat. But I suspect she'll be even more of a force than Dorka was this last season before she's done at Storrs. But I'm ever the optimist.

Reaction Score
As many have mentioned, there is some uncertainty regarding how much of a contribution some players will make, and most agree that the talent and potential is there. As much as we follow every development, watch games, and the videos on new recruits, we have to remember that Geno has seen and knows so much more.

I don't know for example how well Aubrey is progressing, because very little information has been given, but I bet Geno has a pretty good idea. With Amari I know she was pretty highly rated, and got too little playing time for me to make much of a judgement, but Geno saw her everyday in practice. He knows what her strengths and weaknesses are, what she needs to work on, and will follow her progress on those this summer.

For us, Amari is still largely untested like the incoming freshmen. Certainly her lack of playing time is not a positive sign, but hardly conclusive that she is a miss. Geno has made some positive comments about her being very skilled. One of the male practice players thought she was a great shooter and under the radar a bit. But if I remember, right Geno also questioned a lack of speed in her movements, and perhaps some other things, so to me it is a very mixed and inconclusive track record. Perhaps slightly reduced expectations compared to her coming in as a freshmen, but not by much.

Reaction Score
With Amari I know she was pretty highly rated, and got too little playing time for me to make much of a judgement, but Geno saw her everyday in practice. He knows what her strengths and weaknesses are, what she needs to work on, and will follow her progress on those this summer.
Geno has made some positive comments about her being very skilled. ... But if I remember, right Geno also questioned a lack of speed in her movements, and perhaps some other things, so to me it is a very mixed and inconclusive track record.
I remember one interview in which Geno joked about Amari, with her telling him she didn't need practice and how he should play her anyway. The point of the joke seemed to be that she had grown past this attitude, as her decision to spend the summer in training suggests.

I may be reading too much between the lines, but it also suggests to me that she has a very buoyant attitude in general, as her sideline demeanor also seems to indicate. I'm definitely rooting for her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom