What's Next | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What's Next

Reaction Score
Yes, I won’t know what the rotation is until November, and maybe not until January or February. But I’ll bet Geno has a pretty good idea right now. Geno knew Paige was his starting freshman pg when he watched her play in HS. I’ll bet he has a really good idea of where Aubrey & Amari will be with their games next season. I’ll also bet that he has a pretty good feel for whether or not Ice & Ayanna will be ready to contribute next season as well. That’s why he gets paid the BIG BUCKS$$$$.
You are right -he does make the big bucks. Because of 40 years of experience he has an "idea" of his rotation looking into his crystal ball. He, like you and me, have ideas because we are formulating a plan. But plans change as situations, and in this case players show their abilities or lack thereof. CEO's have it easy--they only have corporations to work with. Geno has 15 17 to 24 year old women to evaluate. It is like putting 10 pounds of jelly back in a 4 pound can--there is always a better way.

Reaction Score
Yes, I won’t know what the rotation is until November, and maybe not until January or February. But I’ll bet Geno has a pretty good idea right now. Geno knew Paige was his starting freshman pg when he watched her play in HS. I’ll bet he has a really good idea of where Aubrey & Amari will be with their games next season. I’ll also bet that he has a pretty good feel for whether or not Ice & Ayanna will be ready to contribute next season as well. That’s why he gets paid the BIG BUCKS$$$$.
I agree with you on the latter two. He knows Brady will be be the best shooter of his bigs and will have the best post footwork and positioning also. Of course she'll have to make the big adjustment to D1 pace of play. And he knows that along with Edwards, Patterson will be one his two most physical and athletic bigs. As for DeBerry and Griffin, he knows where he WANTS their games to be but like everyone else he'll need to see if AG is physically able to make the changes she needs to stick as a rotation player. And he needs to see if DeBerry can not only can get physically and mentally tougher and quicker but also get and apply the defensive fundamentals she's lacking.

Reaction Score
You are right -he does make the big bucks. Because of 40 years of experience he has an "idea" of his rotation looking into his crystal ball. He, like you and me, have ideas because we are formulating a plan. But plans change as situations, and in this case players show their abilities or lack thereof. CEO's have it easy--they only have corporations to work with. Geno has 15 17 to 24 year old women to evaluate. It is like putting 10 pounds of jelly back in a 4 pound can--there is always a better way.
Agree for the most part.
But he doesn’t have 15 athletes as of today.
Let me suggest that Geno may have expected more from Amari than she brought.
Expectations are not always met.
To espouse that UCONN has 6 bigs that can rotate through is a real leap.
(With all due respect)

Reaction Score
Yes, all 6 players are talented enough to be part of a regular rotation. 3 already have. One of three players: Amari, Ice or Ayanna, needs to step up and then UConn has a minimum of 4 Bigs in the rotation, which is all the team needs up front. If we end up with 5 or 6, that’s a bonus.

We can speculate endlessly about additional Bigs that UConn could have or should have pursued in the transfer portal. The fact that Geno and his coaches chose not to bring in another Big should indicate to all of us that he is confident he has the talented players necessary for UConn’s rotation.
I enjoy my discussions with you. I hope I don't seem arguing, because you don't argue --state your case. You and a dozen others know of what you speak. Like too many to mention it is fun passing this off season discussing Uconn Women BB. Thanks
The Boneyard compared to my peeking a year or 2 ago is less combative and that makes for fun. thank you all.

Reaction Score
Agree for the most part.
(With all due respect)
He may have but he shouldn't have. He saw enough of her in HS to know what he was getting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
He may have but he shouldn't have. He saw enough of her in HS to know what he was getting.
Well, he didn’t see her senior year of HS because there wasn’t one. Geno had to project forward from Amari’s junior year. My limited assessment of Amari is that she’s quite a skilled Big, but needs to get more agressive and improve her fitness levels.

As I have said before, I am encouraged that she will be spending all summer on campus working with Andrea Hudy and the coaching staff. If Amari doesn’t develop into the player we all hope she will, it won’t be for a lack of effort.

Reaction Score
Highly touted.
25 points.
10 rebounds.
All year.
A miss (so far).
So, show me what you got.
Still time.
Tic, toc, tic, toc....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Highly touted.
25 points.
10 rebounds.
All year.
A miss (so far).
So, show me what you got.
Still time.
Tic, toc, tic, toc....
Calling Amari a “miss” is an incredibly cheap shot. Amari was in her freshman year, after not playing as a senior in HS, limited to only 16 games due in part to injury & illness, while playing behind Liv, Dorka & Aaliyah.

How about giving the kid the benefit of the doubt by supporting her efforts rather than taking cheap shots at her.

Reaction Score
Calling Amari a “miss” is an incredibly cheap shot. Amari was in her freshman year, after not playing as a senior in HS, limited to only 16 games due in part to injury & illness, while playing behind Liv, Dorka & Aaliyah.

How about giving the kid the benefit of the doubt by supporting her efforts rather than taking cheap shots at her.
“So far.”
“Show me.”
Please don’t misquote me.
I didn’t state this categorically.
But, show me (us).
Numbers talk.
You EARN playing time.
Earn it.
Mike drop....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
“So far.”
“Show me.”
Please don’t misquote me.
I didn’t state this categorically.
But, show me (us).
Numbers talk.
You EARN playing time.
Earn it.
Mike drop....
I know you think you’re being clever. Amari owes nothing to you or me. You are not her coach or her teammate, just another overzealous fan who believes he has the right to make demands of an 18 year old student-athlete.

Reaction Score
Well, he didn’t see her senior year of HS because there wasn’t one. Geno had to project forward from Amari’s junior year. My limited assessment of Amari is that she’s quite a skilled Big, but needs to get more agressive and improve her fitness levels.

As I have said before, I am encouraged that she will be spending all summer on campus working with Andrea Hudy and the coaching staff. If Amari doesn’t develop into the player we all hope she will, it won’t be for a lack of effort.
I believe Auriemma’s assessments of her took place during her summer AAU competition because there was nothing to gauge her on during her NY HS seasons. That competition was as bad as Toomey’s in Penn.

Reaction Score

It was pretty obvious from the limited playing time I saw De Berry: She is good shooter. If Geno didn't set her there, she appears
Agree for the most part.
(With all due respect)

more comfortable at the top of the key than at the hoop. We just don't have the visuals of her playing good players in prime time to make any effective assessment. I hope she isn't one who prefers the Forward position, Uconn needs, I don't, a forceful post that can create her own space. It has been a long time since Steff or longer since Stokes, even longer since Tina--my images of posts. Whether Geno loves her or doesn't it is she he has. From the little ICE I have seen she is big enough, with training, to work in the post but she is happy with the long shots and passing. Call me jaded, ICE is a big time scorer will Geno try to make her into a post?? However, you don't need a rebounding tough post if you have 50 percent or better shooters in 4 positions. ]
Stymie:
I agree with 3 of your commenrs. Athletes (?) there are many definitions of that term. One would call any who plays a game an athlete. Or kids like Aubrey, Paige, Caroline athletes. I want Geno to get the Max players at each position. Injuries Fouls, Virus's took their toll on Uconn. Geno never truly know how any kid except those like DT or Paige (others) will do in College BG. Yes, expectations are often unmet. Over the years, especially the in between years, kids come in with a lot of hype and few lived up to the billing. Paige, Fudd, Edwards, of the last season's team live up to , Caroline exceeded expectations. Muhl too.
Edwards is power Forward. Ameri, Gabriel are untested, Ayanna, the other new kid (excuse my ignorance) who is the 6th?

Reaction Score
I know you think you’re being clever. Amari owes nothing to you or me. You are not her coach or her teammate, just another overzealous fan who believes he has the right to make demands of an 18 year old student-athlete.
Oops---I didn't intend to get into this type of conversation--exit center stage.

Reaction Score
I AM NOTHING.
Not a coach.
Not a teammate.
And not an overzealous fan.
I AM a realist.
Nothing , to date, indicates she should be in the ‘regular rotation’ as touted by others.
Am I pulling for her?
YES.
But show me.
You cannot speak out of one side of your mouth that playing time is earned.
Then bequeath her playing time based on nothing,
Have it one way or the other- not both.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I AM NOTHING.
Not a coach.
Not a teammate.
And not an overzealous fan.
I AM a realist.
Nothing , to date, indicates she should be in the ‘regular rotation’ as touted by others.
Am I pulling for her?
YES.
But show me.
You cannot speak out of one side of your mouth that playing time is earned.
Then bequeath her playing time based on nothing,
Have it one way or the other- not both.
Nobody is suggesting that Amari doesn’t need to work hard, improve her game and earn PT. Most of us believe in providing support and encouragement to the players, regardless of whether they are AA’s or the last player off the bench.

Some fans talk about the players as if the players owe them something. Suggesting that a player is a “miss” so far or that she needs to “show me” is indicative of an attitude which I find inappropriate when talking about college kids.

Reaction Score
Nobody is suggesting that Amari doesn’t need to work hard, improve her game and earn PT. Most of us believe in providing support and encouragement to the players, regardless of whether they are AA’s or the last player off the bench.

Some fans talk about the players as if the players owe them something. Suggesting that a player is a “miss” so far or that she needs to “show me” is indicative of an attitude which I find inappropriate when talking about college kids.
Hey.
The fact that she has dedicated staying on campus all summer, in the gym, indicates the she is not personally satisfied with her own expectations.
She can turn it around on a dime ( probably) with hard work and redoubling her commitment.
Nimble 6’5” with good footwork?
But her performance, so far, does not warrant spot in the ‘regular rotation’.
Stymie out on this topic.

Reaction Score
I bleed blue, so go easy on me my feelings are easily hurt :) but here goes:

AE - yes
Dorka - yes
DeBerry - maybe
Aubrey - maybe, who knows? (athletic but kinda small for a "big")
Ice - maybe
Patterson - maybe

Too many maybes. Geno knows what he has, but I don't. Therefore I worry.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I bleed blue, so go easy on me my feelings are easily hurt :) but here goes:

AE - yes
Dorka - yes
DeBerry - maybe
Aubrey - maybe, who knows? (athletic but kinda small for a "big")
Ice - maybe
Patterson - maybe

Too many maybes. Geno knows what he has, but I don't. Therefore I worry.
That’s pretty much the dilemma every season. This past season we could have answered “maybe” based on inexperience or injuries to Caroline and Azzi at the start of the season and at various times during the season to Dorka, Aaliyah and even Paige, Azzi, Caroline, etc., and with all those maybes, somehow, someway UConn made it to the championship game.

Geno has been doing this successfully his entire adult life. While some coaches and fans are enamored with the seemingly easy answers offered by a transfer portal with over 1200 players in it, at some level Geno is willing to bet on himself and the players he recruited. I guess that’s a luxury that you earn when you win 11 national championships and make it to the FF 14 years in a row.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Not all freshmen are able to jump right in and have a positive effect from the beginning. If not for all the injuries, this conversation about Amari probably wouldn't exist. Even though the injury bug affected mostly guards, having 3 veteran Bigs ahead of her did not seem like her lack of PT was going to be a problem.

Not all players get better at the same rate, but Amari's commitment to staying on campus for the summer indicates to me that she intends to be an important contributor for next season. Lou2 is also going to be here for the summer, so if they can get some sort of chemistry going between them, that will help with a possible "two man" game which Liv has done so well in the past. I truly expect Amari to be in the rotation, so lets just hope that she can learn to be aggressive and put on some more muscle.

Question for those in the know, who can actually work with them over the summer? Are coaches allowed to work with them, or are they on their own with only instructions from the coaches?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not all freshmen are able to jump right in and have a positive effect from the beginning. If not for all the injuries, this conversation about Amari probably wouldn't exist. Even though the injury bug affected mostly guards, having 3 veteran Bigs ahead of her did not seem like her lack of PT was going to be a problem.

Not all players get better at the same rate, but Amari's commitment to staying on campus for the summer indicates to me that she intends to be an important contributor for next season. Lou2 is also going to be here for the summer, so if they can get some sort of chemistry going between them, that will help with a possible "two man" game which Liv has done so well in the past. I truly expect Amari to be in the rotation, so lets just hope that she can learn to be aggressive and put on some more muscle.

Question for those in the know, who can actually work with them over the summer? Are coaches allowed to work with them, or are they on their own with only instructions from the coaches?
During the summer NCAA Rules permit coaches to work with players in any capacity (strength & conditioning, basketball skills, etc.) a maximum of 2 hrs per day and 8 hrs per week. Plenty of time for Andrea Hudy, Jamelle Elliott and Geno to put the finishing touches on Amari DeBerry, the basketball player. :)

Reaction Score
That’s pretty much the dilemma every season. This past season we could have answered “maybe” based on inexperience or injuries to Caroline and Azzi at the start of the season and at various times during the season to Dorka, Aaliyah and even Paige, Azzi, Caroline, etc., and with all those maybes, somehow, someway UConn made it to the championship game.

Geno has been doing this successfully his entire adult life. While some coaches and fans are enamored with the seemingly easy answers offered by a transfer portal with over 1200 players in it, at some level Geno is willing to bet on himself and the players he recruited. I guess that’s a luxury that you earn when you win 11 national championships and make it to the FF 14 years in a row.
One ‘luxury’ no one has is clairvoyance. IE: when 20% (3) of your recruits hit the transfer button.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One ‘luxury’ no one has is clairvoyance. IE: when 20% (3) of your recruits hit the transfer button.
With immediate eligibility, transfers heading for the door for more PT will be a fact of life in college sports from here on out. All of UConn’s transfers have been players who had seen, or were projected to see limited PT.

More problematic are programs like Brenda’s MD Terps who continue to lose frontline players to the transfer portal, including 3 this past season. As for clairvoyance, I think coaches pretty much know who’s heading for the exits beforehand. Brenda and her coaching staff were reportedly engaged in “gallows humor” regarding the potential of multiple transfers prior to the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Where have I been? I have missed an exciting thread.
Geno has stated that Amari is a very talented player and I believe him.
In the limited minutes that she has played, I think she has shown a potential to be a very good shooter around the perimeter.
I , also, have no idea what she needs to work on to get more playing time. She and her coaches would know that.
I think it always makes more sense to stay with players you know vs. bringing in new players that you don't know.

Reaction Score
More problematic are programs like Brenda’s MD Terps who continue to lose frontline players to the transfer portal, including 3 this past season. As for clairvoyance, I think coaches pretty much know who’s heading for the exits beforehand. Brenda and her coaching staff were reportedly engaged in “gallows humor” regarding the potential of multiple transfers prior to the end of the season.
When starters transfer out at the clip they did from MD, I can't help think there's a judgment the kids are making about the coaching staff. Either something rubbed them the wrong way personally, or they no longer believe Brenda can get them to the NC game. It can't be lack of playing time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom