What's Next | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's Next

Reaction Score
What's next for UConn is they have a lot to look forward to next season and also some challenges to overcome.

The biggest thing the past few years is the aura of invincibility is not there. The 4 peat raised expectations beyond the incredibly high level they were. End of game, OT loses in 17 and 18 against otherwise unbeaten records were disappointing but also so close to perfection it was tough to argue.

This time one year ago the fanbase was, fairly, expecting a NC with the overall talent and depth of the squad. It was a legitimate expectation based on the returning and incoming players. Injuries took their toll and overall chemistry was off so that, for the first time since DT graduated, UConn had some games where they were mortal.

SC isn't going anywhere, Stanford will still be very good, other squads are getting ready, but UConn is at worst #3 and likely #2 preseason. There will still be some roster shifts around the country but I don't see any team catching up with SC or UConn right now. If Stanford can get the Hulls replaced, then they will be right there again.

Reaction Score
Not sure how we can draw the conclusion that our team should be stronger after losing three WNBA quality players. There may be potential, but certainly premature to say team should be stronger!
If nary a one make a final cut does that change your calculation?
Not sure we’ll miss a beat with guard play (maybe depth) and if (?) Amari blooms should be almost a wash at the 5 with much more depth there.
I think we all can agree that Paige was never back to 100% after injury.
I think UCONN will be scary good next year- improving as year goes on.
There will be 5 guards and two seasoned bigs ready to go from the opening tip.
Add in Amari and a little new blood and we’ll be locked and loaded for the Tourney.
Hopefully, Coach will utilize substandard BE competition to battle harden highly touted newbies (....and Amari) for March

Reaction Score
Not sure how we can draw the conclusion that our team should be stronger after losing three WNBA quality players. There may be potential, but certainly premature to say team should be stronger!
I disagree. Not premature.

They didn't have one All-American this past year. That will change.
They will have much more cohesion due to less injuries. Anyone that suggests we'll have the same number of injuries, please cite the last time UCONN had so many players out as much as this year?

In terms of Players:
They didn't have their 2020-2021 NPOY for most of the year.
Their 2nd best player at end of year was arguably Azzi Fudd who returns.
Their Wing CD- arguably one of the top players on the team when injuries hit will return.
Their Big East DPOY at guard, Muhl is returning.
And arguably their best frontcourt player in 2nd half of the season- Edwards is returning.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. Most of the top Bigs in the portal have made their decisions. UConn transfers are usually announced early on, as most of these players know pretty quickly whether UConn is the right place for them and vice versa.

As I commented in my previous post, as far as the frontcourt is concerned we can only speculate. Geno and the coaches have far more information to go on, and at least up to now, they’ve decided to stand pat.
I suspect you are right, because my list of potential difference making bigs has dried up, with only Angel Reese left, and for many reasons we might not have been interested in her anyway, or her in us. The uncertainty of who comes thru or who doesn't is huge, but the number of potentially very good players makes the odds pretty good.

If one or two of those players are not yet ready for primetime so to speak, but the others are ready, we are probably ok. Last year we had a short 3 big rotation with Liv, Dorka and Aaliyah. For a few games when Liv or Dorka was out that was problematic, as all of the backup big minutes had to come from playing small ball with Caroline or Evina at the 4. Then of course that short rotation killed us when Dorka got injured in the Final Four and Liv played the championship game with a groin injury.

Next year I think Dorka is close to a sure thing, I am not anticipating any problems in her recovery, and she probably will be playing more exclusively at her more natural C position. Many would include Aaliyah as a lock in the big rotation, but I would not, at least not yet. If Aaliyah has a dedicated offseason and returns in top condition, I see no reason why she cannot duplicate her freshmen year and if she does that she should start. If instead we get sophomore Aaliyah, then maybe someone else can do better.

Geno probably knows far more than we do about Aubrey's progress. Hopefully that is good because if she returns close to her former self we have another solid rotation member. If Aubrey and Aaliyah can return to form of two years ago, with Dorka, we have a big rotation similar to last year (3), without any meaningful contributions from Amari, Ayanna or Ice. I think the odds of one of those three being ready to make the rotation, expanding it to 4 bigs is very high, and having 4 provides at least some cushion for injuries.

If Aaliyah disappoints or Aubrey can't go, then we need two of those three to come thru to achieve a solid 4 big rotation. They all have the ability to do just that, and I wouldn't bet against them, but while we have much uncertainty, there are many candidates that could be great solutions. The remaining portal prospects (except Angel) would not in my opinion be an upgrade on paper for any of our 6.

Reaction Score
It’s always possible. But as I commented in another post, Geno would have to accept Piath back on the team, and she did not do herself any favors when she missed the Bridgeport Regional due to academic issues.
Do we know her academics were struggles and not lab work or something along that line

Reaction Score
Now that the season is over one victory from a national championship and we have had time to reflect on the loss to South Carolina, it is time as many have already noted to turn the page and to begin seriously to think about next season.

As of this time, we have Piath Gabriel in the transfer portal, not to mention the two players who bailed during the season. Fairfield’s Lou Lopez-Senechal will be playing for UConn next season. The 6.1 guard who averaged over 19 points last season appears to be a good pickup. Two intriguing additional possibilities are Latisha Lattimore, an injured 6.4 frosh who played for Texas and is a friend of Aaliyah Edwards, and 6.4 forward Kadi Sissoko from Minnesota. Given all the injuries the Huskies sustained last season, the addition of both a guard and a big girl seems wise.

The team has the core for success in returning players and two highly touted recruits coming to Storrs. In theory we have eleven players, but given the injuries over the past season this is not enough and a number of questions exist about the future.

First, can we expect Aubrey Griffin to return and play with the intensity she did before her back surgery? I am doubtful, yet hopeful.

Is it possible for the Huskies to undergo a season without serious injuries?

Will we see the 100% recovery of Paige, Dorka, Caroline, and Azzi and will Azzi be able, if completely healthy, to create her own shots?

Will DeBarry use the summer to make herself into a player who will be a major contributor to the team the upcoming season?

Will Brady and Patterson be significant contributors to the team next season?

Since Gabriel is on campus to finish the semester, is it possible that she will change her mind and return to Storrs for next season?

Lastly, what benefit will the team get from the transfer portal? What we have seen so far is promising.

The transfer questions should shake out in a few weeks and we can hope that the team will be able to successfully compete with big and physical teams like South Carolina for it appears that the Gamecocks have established a new parameter for success on the national stage. Moreover, both South Carolina and Baylor have mastered the rent-a-player scenario.

UConn competed successfully against Stanford, the biggest team in the NCAA's. SCar has been playing a big and physical style since Dawn took over but always lost to UConn's style. I never heard Dawn say she was "forced to change her style" and I doubt Geno will either. UConn lost to the team that had Boston. I'll consider the idea that there is a new "parameter" when I see what happens after she leaves for the pros.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Tennessee will have an improved team next year that will be challenging Scar in the SEC.
While the date hasn't been announced, when UConn plays them in Knoxville it will be a big time test for both teams.
The same with UConn's game against Scar.

Reaction Score
Griffin still has 3 years of eligibility left. She would have to apply for the medical year and she also gets a COVID year.
So she has time to get her strength and confidence back next year and then have 2 years to contribute. Old people hear "back injury" and think "rocking chair" but that isn't necessarily the case anymore. And the young heal while greyhairs learn to adjust to new infirmaries.

Reaction Score
If we all just stop for a moment and step back a bunch of months we were all talking about the amount of players that Geno and staff had at their disposal. My, how things changed over a season. Players left, players got hurt, more players got hurt and one player never played in a game. I'm sorry but to me you can never have enough players. UConn has added a guard from the portal. That is awesome and I know very much needed. People have mentioned adding a post player. I happen to agree with that thought. But that is me thinking. The staff knows what is needed and not us. Can't wait for the season to start.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, ir's possible that Geno was turned down.
For instance, shortly before April 22, 6'5" Jr. center Emily Saunders transferred from Tenn to Youngstown State which has a virual pipeline of recruits from WV where Emily hails from.
She was a Lady Vol for 3 years and there's probably no way that she would consider attending UConn even if she were invited.
Not only does she want more PT, but she wouldn't be able to save face with Tenn fans if she choose UConn just like Evina was spoken about harshly for choosing UConn.
And some top players may have had previous experience being recruited by Geno & UConn, or know of others who have that influenced their own opinions.
If UConn has a reputation for being too regimented etc..., then surely some players won't want to be a part of it.

Honestly, have you ever heard of any UConn prospect being denied a scholarship due to player feedback that resulted from their campus visit?
It's hard to believe that any recruit could blow their opportunity for a scholarship by acting or saying something inappropriate to a UConn player during a visit.
Emily Saunders??? In her junior year at TN Saunders played in only 20 of 34 TN games, averaging 4.2 mpg and 1 ppg. Why would you ever compare her to Evina as someone UConn might be interested in? Why in Gods name would Saunders care what TN fans think about her. She’s transferring. She’s going to Youngstown St because she wants to play more than 4.2 mpg.

As for recruits/transfers being denied a scholarship after a campus visit, we will never know if player feedback nixed a potential scholarship offer. But we do know that Geno does ask the players what they think of a recruit after a visit, and we also know that UConn is all about “TEAM.”

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do we know her academics were struggles and not lab work or something along that line
We don’t. Considering that the Bridgeport Regional was played over Sat/Sun/Mon, it’s not like she had a class to attend or couldn’t have attended via zoom if it was a Monday class. Perhaps she had work to complete. But here again, not getting her work done in advance of the tournament begs the question, “Why?” None of her teammates had an issue with class work.

sun

Reaction Score
Emily Saunders??? In her junior year at TN Saunders played in only 20 of 34 TN games, averaging 4.2 mpg and 1 ppg. Why would you ever compare her to Evina as someone UConn might be interested in? Why in Gods name would Saunders care what TN fans think about her. She’s transferring. She’s going to Youngstown St because she wants to play more than 4.2 mpg.

As for recruits/transfers being denied a scholarship after a campus visit, we will never know if player feedback nixed a potential scholarship offer. But we do know that Geno does ask the players what they think of a recruit after a visit, and we also know that UConn is all about “TEAM.”
It was simply an example in reply to your question.
Not everyone wants to be martyred or ostracized by their alma mater where they received their degree and have many friends and supporters, simply because they chose to transfer to a rival school such as UConn.

Transferring to UConn can elicit more negative emotions from friends, teammates and fans than transferring somewhere else.
Maybe the player also has their own negative disposition toward UConn.
And the difference with some Tennessee fan reactions to Evina's vs. Emily's transfer proves my point, simply based on which school each chose to transfer to.
I saw comments posted about both and Evina's were hostile while Emiliy's were not.
Some players care about losing friends at their previous school because they still maintain a level of affection for it after they transfer.
I can't recall any UConn players ever transferring to Tennessee, can you?
What are the odds?
They would appear to be slimmer than transferring somewhere else that's carries less negative emotions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was simply an example in reply to your question.
Not everyone wants to be martyred or ostracized by their alma mater where they received their degree and have many friends and supporters, simply because they chose to transfer to a rival school such as UConn.

Transferring to UConn can elicit more negative emotions from friends, teammates and fans than transferring somewhere else.
Maybe the player also has their own negative disposition toward UConn.
And the difference with some Tennessee fan reactions to Evina's vs. Emily's transfer proves my point, simply based on which school each chose to transfer to.
I saw comments posted about both and Evina's were hostile while Emiliy's were not.
Some players care about losing friends at their previous school because they still maintain a level of affection for it after they transfer.
I can't recall any UConn players ever transferring to Tennessee, can you?
What are the odds?
They would appear to be slimmer than transferring somewhere else that's carries less negative emotions.
First off, you have to graduate from a school for it to be considered your alma mater. Clearly, that doesn’t apply to undergraduate transfers like Saunders or Evina.

I think the idea that someone might not transfer to UConn because of a fear of being, “martyred or ostracized” from their former school is an incredible stretch. I’m sorry but that dog just won’t hunt.

As for Evina, yes there was some criticism in and around Knoxville and on VolNation when she transferred to UConn from a handful of overzealous Lady Vol fans. That criticism didn’t hinder Evina’s decision one iota.

At the end of the day all that matters for these kids who transfer is that they find a place where they can flourish and be happy. Certainly, Evina’s 3 years at UConn met that standard. She went from being a sometimes scapegoat for the decline of a once great WBB program under HW to a beloved leader at the greatest program in the history of WBB.

Pretty good decision I think…..:)

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
First off, you have to graduate from a school for it to be considered your alma mater. Clearly, that doesn’t apply to undergraduate transfers like Saunders or Evina.
AFAIK that's incorrect.
According to posts on the Tenn. forum, Emily Saunders did graduate.
Maybe she's been taking summer classes.
Some fans were wishing her luck and joking about it by saying "She's been freed, she's been freed."

sun

Reaction Score
In the transfer portal under out for Tenn, 6'5" Emily Saunders is listed as a "JR center...(grad xfer)"
Indeed, Tenn is her alma mater.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AFAIK that's incorrect.
According to posts on the Tenn. forum, Emily Saunders did graduate.
Maybe she's been taking summer classes.
Some fans were wishing her luck and joking about it by saying "She's been freed, she's been freed."
OK that’s fine. She got her degree in her jr year and she’s heading to Youngstown St so that she can actually play basketball. Good for her. That still does not align in any way with your theory that transfers are afraid to choose UConn out of fear they will be ostracized.

Reaction Score
OK that’s fine. She got her degree in her jr year and she’s heading to Youngstown St so that she can actually play basketball. Good for her. That still does not align in any way with your theory that transfers are afraid to choose UConn out of fear they will be ostracized.
I would think that transferring to UCONN would be a big positive.
Equates to (me) that:
One is a superior talent.
One is of superior character.
One is looking to take their game to the next level.
And it doesn’t really occur that often-though that may/will change.

Reaction Score

I think the idea that someone might not transfer to UConn because of a fear of being, “martyred or ostracized” from their former school is an incredible stretch. I’m sorry but that dog just won’t hunt…
As a college prof, and a father of a college age daughter, I have to disagree. First, I think his point wasn’t fear of the reaction the former school but of the reaction of friends at the former school. When you leave some place it means you were unhappy about something there. But you still made friends and it sucks if you lose them.

Second, you count as an alum of a school if you finish one semester. It don’t matter where or when you eventually graduate. Some schools even say as soon as you attend the first class after convocation you’re one of them.

I agree about the rest. Evina is a special person with a good deal more self-possession than most young people. She made a tough decision and never looked back. She never ceases to impress me, even now.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Not afraid to choose UConn but rather "would strongly prefer not to."
I'm only trying to be realistic.
You think that Geno didn't try to entice Rickea Jackson or Angle Reese to transfer to UConn?
Angel likes to wear nail polish and maybe false eyelashes too, so maybe UConn doesn't align with her values.
I think you understand quite well that it's not only about them fitting in with UConn, but about UConn management fitting the contemporary values of today's players.
IDK, but these are real life issues and perhaps reasons that give players pause to not chose to transfer to UConn if they have multiple options.
Some players may be willing to conform, I guess that time will tell if & when a top transfer shows up.

Being traded to the Yankees has led to a lot of MLB players to shave their beards and to cut their long hair.
But then they're getting paid a lot of money.
And many pro sports players contracts have a list of teams that they don't want to be traded to.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not afraid to choose UConn but rather "would strongly prefer not to."
I'm only trying to be realistic.
You think that Geno didn't try to entice Rickea Jackson or Angle Reese to transfer to UConn?
Angel likes to wear nail polish and maybe false eyelashes too, so maybe UConn doesn't align with her values.
I think you understand quite well that it's not only about them fitting in with UConn, but about UConn management fitting the contemporary values of today's players.
IDK, but these are real life issues and perhaps reasons that give players pause to not chose to transfer to UConn if they have multiple options.
Some players may be willing to conform, I guess that time will tell if & when a top transfer shows up.

Being traded to the Yankees has led to a lot of MLB players to shave their beards and to cut their long hair.
But then they're getting paid a lot of money.
And many pro sports players contracts have a list of teams that they don't want to be traded to.
You’re kind of all over the place. First it was kids don’t choose UConn because they fear being martyred and ostracized at the former school. Now you’re talking about values not aligning when it comes to nail polish and false eyelashes.

Look, UConn is not for everyone. I think we can both agree on that. My original comment, which I continue to stand by, is that if Geno wanted to bring in another Big from the portal to supplement the Bigs he already has, he would have done so.

I also contend that after considering who he had coming back, and who was available in the portal, Geno likely chose to stand pat. On that point, it appears we will have to agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
What's Next? The team just rest up, heal up, and regroup. Players that were dealing with injuries, will have to rest and heal and then go through the process of rehab. The coaching staff will go over what worked, what didn't work, areas of improvement, and go from there. Players will, hopefully, take a few weeks off to recharge and be young people. Enjoy the lakes, if they are in those warm climates. Enjoy life. Then, when they are ready, get back in a gym and work on their craft.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a college prof, and a father of a college age daughter, I have to disagree. First, I think his point wasn’t fear of the reaction the former school but of the reaction of friends at the former school. When you leave some place it means you were unhappy about something there. But you still made friends and it sucks if you lose them.

Second, you count as an alum of a school if you finish one semester. It don’t matter where or when you eventually graduate. Some schools even say as soon as you attend the first class after convocation you’re one of them.

I agree about the rest. Evina is a special person with a good deal more self-possession than most young people. She made a tough decision and never looked back. She never ceases to impress me, even now.
I don’t really understand your point. We are talking about kids who have already made their decision to leave a school by entering the transfer portal. So any disappointment their friends might feel because of their departure is going to happen regardless of where they end up. Whether they end up at UConn or some obscure NAIA school is largely immaterial to their friends.

sun

Reaction Score
Look, UConn is not for everyone. I think we can both agree on that. My original comment, which I continue to stand by, is that if Geno wanted to bring in another Big from the portal to supplement the Bigs he already has, he would have done so.

We also know that UConn lost Piath and hasn't replaced her as of yet.
Without a replacement, UConn was better off with her than without her.
That makes it appear that her departure represents a loss of talent for the UConn bench for the next 2-3 years.
And the exact reasons for her leaving are unknown, we can only speculate.
Personally I think that Geno and the team would rather have her return.
I know that I do, but that decision is between Geno & Piath.
There must have been some kind of friction there.
Probably a classic case of friction between management & labor, perhaps about conditions of one form or another.

Reaction Score
We also know that UConn lost Piath and hasn't replaced her as of yet.
Without a replacement, UConn was better off with her than without her.
That makes it appear that her departure represents a loss of talent for the UConn bench for the next 2-3 years.
And the exact reasons for her leaving are unknown, we can only speculate.
Personally I think that Geno and the team would rather have her return.
I know that I do, but that decision is between Geno & Piath.
There must have been some kind of friction there.
Probably a classic case of friction between management & labor, perhaps about conditions of one form or another.

Friction?? Or maybe she just wants to play

Reaction Score
The bottom line is we didn’t get anyone from the portal that is better than the current and projected “big” talent base. I’m fine with that as it probably means we feel pretty good about the front line going into next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom