OT: - What was your most recent random thought? Mines... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What was your most recent random thought? Mines...

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
A good friend sent a collection of funny snippets taken from church bulletins around the country. They were all harmless, funny, generally poorly written, and yet each perfectly understandable. It got me to musing as to what makes things funny. And further to are funny things funny to most people, some people, or few people.

My three favorites were as follows:

1) "The meeting of the low self esteem group will be held in the church tonight. Please use the back door."

2 ) "The weight watchers meeting will be held at 7 pm at the First Presbyterian Church, Please use the large double door at the side entrance."

3) "The eighth graders will be presenting Shakespeare's Hamlet in the Church basement Friday at 7 pm. The congregation is invited to attend that tragedy."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A good friend sent a collection of funny snippets taken from church bulletins around the country. They were all harmless, funny, generally poorly written, and yet each perfectly understandable. It got me to musing as to what makes things funny. And further to are funny things funny to most people, some people, or few people.

My three favorites were as follows:

1) "The meeting of the low self esteem group will be held in the church tonight. Please use the back door."

2 ) "The weight watchers meeting will be held at 7 pm at the First Presbyterian Church, Please use the large double door at the side entrance."

3) "The eighth graders will be presenting Shakespeare's Hamlet in the Church basement Friday at 7 pm. The congregation is invited to attend that tragedy."
My wife was a church office manager and almost authored an oops herself. I forget the details but it could be read as sexually suggestive (it wasn't). But the Pastor thankfully caught it before printing. It is easy to do and relates to my random thought above also.

Reaction Score
What would the world be like if there always was, and always will be, just one race and one religion...and if the typical woman was physically stronger than the typical man?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When did supposedly educated folk (including newspaper writers and ad designers) suddenly decide that it isn't necessary to spell correctly or use decent grammar? I find at least one (obvious) error in almost every newspaper or magazine I read. And I am only an average speller and I'm not the grammar police, either. But it can be jarring.
The writers never could spell, the problem is the newspapers stopped paying for proof readers! :)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
What would the world be like if there always was, and always will be, just one race and one religion...and if the typical woman was physically stronger than the typical man?
Boring!

Reaction Score
Filling out on line forms is a pain in the you know where.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking that if the season doesn’t start soon, there will be people asking if the asylum gets SKY Network.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
will one chicken finger and a spoonful of mac and cheese be enough for dinner?

Reaction Score
AAAAh! I get the chit kicked out of me as it is. Don't wonder such awful things...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I’m thinking that if the season doesn’t start soon, there will be people asking if the asylum gets SKY Network.
Mine does, thank you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Would have to be better.
Couldn’t be much worse.
I say let’s roll the dice....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
When did supposedly educated folk (including newspaper writers and ad designers) suddenly decide that it isn't necessary to spell correctly or use decent grammar? I find at least one (obvious) error in almost every newspaper or magazine I read. And I am only an average speller and I'm not the grammar police, either. But it can be jarring.
And when did they stop using the words mother and father (as opposed to mom and dad)?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
When did stopping at a stop sign become optional?
Lawdy miss clawdy, last Friday, I was crossing (in a crosswalk) from the first row of parking spaces to the front of the grocery store, when someone makes a left turn, blowing through the stop sign, within the parking lot, doing about 25. Needless to say he didn't have his signal light, which might have given me a clue he'd be barreling in to me. He missed me by a foot or two, only because I jumped back.
Continued speeding down the lot, ignoring other pedestrians, and parked in the fire lane.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Lawdy miss clawdy, last Friday, I was crossing (in a crosswalk) from the first row of parking spaces to the front of the grocery store, when someone makes a left turn, blowing through the stop sign, within the parking lot, doing about 25. Needless to say he didn't have his signal light, which might have given me a clue he'd be barreling in to me. He missed me by a foot or two, only because I jumped back.
Continued speeding down the lot, ignoring other pedestrians, and parked in the fire lane.
Here in Arizona it is a different vibe. I know these seem contradictory but -

1 - if you are crossing a lane on foot in the parking lot, turn your head away from on-coming traffic and just keep walking. (Apparently, either they don't want to see what's coming or want to have plausible deniability that they stepped out in traffic.) So you have to be very, very careful in lots.

2 - conversely, as the driver, simply ignore anyone trying to pull out of a parking spot (unless you want it). Speed around their back end if necessary as they are backing up. (In NJ most folks did yield to the car backing up, probably because in NJ they assumed the person backing up would just keep going into them).

And, as someone noted, not only are stop signs (and red lights) optional in Tucson, so are speed limits. We have very few highways, but the way folks drive on the streets it isn't any wonder we have had a lot of pedestrians killed over the years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom