What was rush accepting Cobb commitment? | The Boneyard

What was rush accepting Cobb commitment?

Reaction Score
Honest question, not trolling. This is season jobs open left and right and we need another shooter desperately. In a perfect world, we would take a 5th year shooter and a big and have those ships for next year.

Cobb fills a need as a big but would've much rather a Shonn Miler type that put up numbers at a lesser school. Now we are basically running w 1-2 ships for next year at most.

Staff has recruited well at times obviously but some huge misses. With a strong returning core I would have been a bit more picky as we need a low post scorer and banger and hopefully Cobb is both but certainly not a given.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Honest question, not trolling. This is season jobs open left and right and we need another shooter desperately. In a perfect world, we would take a 5th year shooter and a big and have those ships for next year.

Cobb fills a need as a big but would've much rather a Shonn Miler type that put up numbers at a lesser school. Now we are basically running w 1-2 ships for next year at most.

Staff has recruited well at times obviously but some huge misses. With a strong returning core I would have been a bit more picky as we need a low post scorer and banger and hopefully Cobb is both but certainly not a given.
One guess is that KO and staff have seen enough of him and are impressed to the point that he can thrive in our system and is a proven board banger with enough instincts to not have to start from scratch with him. He also is available for two years giving him time to acclimate and learn the system, physically get into Uconn shape
and perhaps set an example of toughness for the front court to emulate. Hope he can thrive because we desperately need some blue collar toughness up front.

Reaction Score

I doubt anything left for next year is a 'given." (minus a grad transfer but who knows?) Having said that the combo of great hands, physical space eater size, can pass the ball as well as handle it maybe they see the same thing Frank Martin and his staff saw at South Carolina but with 2 years under his belt of maturity. Could be what the doctor ordered, we will see?

Reaction Score
The staff must have really liked his rebounding and defensive potential. Hopefully he can be a competent screener too, our guards' lives will be much easier if we can get more going out of the PnR game.

I agree with OP that we could use another shooter but I think front court depth was a bigger issue. Even if we go with a three guard lineup much of next year, we need some experience and muscle inside besides Enoch. At this point, nothing is a given with Enoch in terms of his development. Diarra is an unknown though hopefully he provides toughness. Polley and Carlteton are two twigs, I imagine them having a minimal impact next year - similar to Durham this year. If Enoch doesn't take a nice step forward then next year might be quite an adventure in the front court.

Reaction Score
The staff must have really liked his rebounding and defensive potential. Hopefully he can be a competent screener too, our guards' lives will be much easier if we can get more going out of the PnR game.

I agree with OP that we could use another shooter but I think front court depth was a bigger issue. Even if we go with a three guard lineup much of next year, we need some experience and muscle inside besides Enoch. At this point, nothing is a given with Enoch in terms of his development. Diarra is an unknown though hopefully he provides toughness. Polley and Carlteton are two twigs, I imagine them having a minimal impact next year - similar to Durham this year. If Enoch doesn't take a nice step forward then next year might be quite an adventure in the front court.

Yeah forgot rebounding too. As far as twigs, and Lord knows we've had our share, I wouldn't put Carlton in there. May not be burly and muscled up but kid has decent size, certainly one of the better frames to add on to.

And agree, unless we get a pleasant surprise, if Steve doesn't make that jump it's not looking great in the middle. But again, multiple options as well as playing small, hopefully Durham and all healthy and we can mix and match too.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
One guess is that KO and staff have seen enough of him and are impressed to the point that he can thrive in our system and is a proven board banger with enough instincts to not have to start from scratch with him. He also is available for two years giving him time to acclimate and learn the system, physically get into Uconn shape
and perhaps set an example of toughness for the front court to emulate. Hope he can thrive because we desperately need some blue collar toughness up front.
We don't have a system.

pj

Reaction Score
I would say that for sure, they think for Enoch to develop he needs an equal to battle against in practice - Carlton is too young and no one else is a center, so they need Cobb or someone like him on the roster. Possibly, they've seen enough from Enoch to think he is not their starter next year, or they've seen enough from Cobb to think he can play major minutes/start both years, or they've seen enough from potential postgrads that they don't think there's a superior option to Cobb out there.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I would say that for sure, they think for Enoch to develop he needs an equal to battle against in practice - Carlton is too young and no one else is a center, so they need Cobb or someone like him on the roster. Possibly, they've seen enough from Enoch to think he is not their starter next year, or they've seen enough from Cobb to think he can play major minutes/start both years, or they've seen enough from potential postgrads that they don't think there's a superior option to Cobb out there.
If the staff is giving up on Enoch after 2 years, while letting Brimah let his arms run wild for 3+, then we should find a new coaching staff.

Reaction Score
The team was eaten alive inside and we are losing our two best bigs.

Very simple.

Here's the good news our 2 best bigs are gone. Hopefully the kids behind them get better unlike them and in turn so does UConn. It's time to expect our bigs to guard someone for once, our 2 best didn't either. Just give me that guy that bodies his guy and moves his feet keeping his body between this guy and the basket. Then goes straight up with his arms when the ball is shot then immediately turns and shoves his a** into his guy not allowing him the rebound. Never mind these 2 "best bigs" who are continually fighting with their backs to the basket, face fisrt not a** first, with their guys not knowing where the ball ios. Can we just have smart big guys who know how to play that damn game like most teams? If anyone can guard Gary Clark please step forward now! (oh and by the way he's a righty with no left, none of our guys knew that ever :rolleyes:)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here's the good news our 2 best bigs are gone. Hopefully the kids behind them get better unlike them and in turn so does UConn. It's time to expect our bigs to guard someone for once, our 2 best didn't either. Just give me that guy that bodies his guy and moves his feet keeping his body between this guy and the basket. Then goes straight up with his arms when the ball is shot then immediately turns and shoves his a** into his guy not allowing him the rebound. Never mind these 2 "best bigs" who are continually fighting with their backs to the basket, face fisrt not a** first, with their guys not knowing where the ball ios. Can we just have smart big guys who know how to play that damn game like most teams? If anyone can guard Gary Clark please step forward now! (oh and by the way he's a righty with no left, none of our guys knew that ever :rolleyes:)

Don't disagree with that assessment at all, except for the fact that they were our two best big men - as bad as that was.

Hopefully Enoch and the two incoming guys improve quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with that assessment at all, except for the fact that they were our two best big men - as bad as that was.

Hopefully Enoch and the two incoming guys improve quite a bit.

Addition by subtraction as someone noted. Whether they were the best or not (and they were) we need to get better right? So we can all agree we need to move forward and as you say hopefully Steve makes that leap otherwise a surprise will be required. Scary but necessary we were treading water time to swim a little...yeah even a little LOL

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
The staff is not giving up on Steve. Why would you even say if , there is no if. Since that's not the case I guess the staff can stay for now.
Obviously. I was making a comparison to Brimah's lack of development and Enoch's.
boy, you're a delight
I was being realistic. Would you ever give up on a kid that has shown flashes of offensive prowess that our previous 3 year starting center couldn't even dream of having? No one should.
You never give up on a player. You do recruit over him.
Agree but you don't just shelf him - if this Cobb guy comes in, starts day 1, and proves he's our starting center, then Enoch continues to ride the pine for his entire career. Life isn't fair I get that, but Ollie goes out and says "Enoch will be a special player for us" then goes out and grabs a high-potential JUCO center.

A lot of if's I know, it sounds like I'm complaining, but if you were Enoch wouldn't you be saying "what the hell?"

Reaction Score
What's was the rush? How the heck do we know? Obviously KO had seen enough of him to feel he could help and did not want to lose him. Enoch will be the key big next year depending on Carlton. Durham is not a big right now. Cobb gives us a banger - hopefully, which we all feel we need.

C

Chief00

Watching video of Cobbs, I just don't see a guy who quickly and aggressively goes after the ball. If you don't do that you can't rebound at the D-1 level. I hope I am missing something.

Reaction Score

We know that Durham is a twig, so Polley and Carleton are also? I mean this is a recruiting problem that we continue to have, guys that have to gain 25 lbs of muscle immediately and never do. Maybe that's why KO jumped for Cobb for just his bulk. The tape showed him moving like a glacier.

Reaction Score
Obviously. I was making a comparison to Brimah's lack of development and Enoch's.

I was being realistic. Would you ever give up on a kid that has shown flashes of offensive prowess that our previous 3 year starting center couldn't even dream of having? No one should.

Agree but you don't just shelf him - if this Cobb guy comes in, starts day 1, and proves he's our starting center, then Enoch continues to ride the pine for his entire career. Life isn't fair I get that, but Ollie goes out and says "Enoch will be a special player for us" then goes out and grabs a high-potential JUCO center.

A lot of if's I know, it sounds like I'm complaining, but if you were Enoch wouldn't you be saying "what the hell?"
There are 13 scholarships. You need more than 1 player at each position. You want only 1 real center on the roster? I'm betting even the players see that. Whoever is better will start and play more minutes. If a kid doesn't want to compete for his spot then I don't want him at UConn.

Reaction Score
Didn't have a problem with the signing, definitely had a problem with the timing. If you wan to take a flier on a kid, fine. Don't do it when the current front court is basically full of fliers. We needed a proven player and at this point in the process that was only going to be accomplished through the grad market. If that means scouring for a grad transfer and you end up losing Cobb, so be it.

We essentially added a depth piece to a front court that isn't any good rather than adding a depth piece - T-Sam - to a back court that is ready to go. That seems backwards to me.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"Rush."

It's the middle of March. The mythical proven players we're supposed to be waiting on do not exist. The ones that might exist do not want to come here. Half the board is pining for a kid who plays for Rice and probably thinks UConn is near the North Pole.

This is not a "rush", this is last call and UConn took the best-looking girl at the bar who would still talk to them.

Reaction Score
"Rush."

It's the middle of March. The mythical proven players we're supposed to be waiting on do not exist. The ones that might exist do not want to come here. Half the board is pining for a kid who plays for Rice and probably thinks UConn is near the North Pole.

This is not a "rush", this is last call and UConn took the best-looking girl at the bar who would still talk to them.

So you would prefer a Juco kid who is at best redundant with the other big men on the roster to a kid who averaged 19 and 9 on 47/47/81 shooting splits in conference USA? Or a kid who averaged 19 in the A-10 and is from Worcester?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So you would prefer a Juco kid who is at best redundant with the other big men on the roster to a kid who averaged 19 and 9 on 47/47/81 shooting splits in conference USA? Or a kid who averaged 19 in the A-10 and is from Worcester?

What makes you think those kids are available for UConn?

Reaction Score
What makes you think those kids are available for UConn?

I don't, but I also have a hard time imagining - in the second week of March - that the staff is receiving such strong signals that they felt the need to write off the market entirely. I'm assuming a lot of these kids haven't even decided what they want to do yet, and one might think a kid from Rice would at least be tempted to play in a Texas-based conference that's a couple levels up in quality of play from where he is currently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom