What was rush accepting Cobb commitment? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What was rush accepting Cobb commitment?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm sure they tried to get the best center they could in recruiting but never came up with one who was better than Brimah so Brimah continued to start. And that's on the coaching staff. If Stone had come here he would have started at the 5 over Brimah. I doubt in recruiting the coaches said to themselves that they better get someone worse than Brimah so they can make Brimah happy that he's still the best center on the roster. I don't think it works the way you are assuming.
I posted it in another thread, but we only had true center visit Storrs during Brimah's tenure: Diamond Stone. We didn't really go after anyone. You can argue Ray Kasongo but he was a PF like Adrien and never had the grades anyways - more or less a wasted visit.

Reaction Score
That's what I'm saying. We have plenty of depth up front between Durham, Enoch, Diarra, Larrier, Jackson, Carlton, maybe Polley, etc. That's a lot of players for not a lot of minutes. Cobb doesn't address any urgent need, besides maybe rebounding, and he certainly is not a talent upgrade over those other players.

Depth does not necessarily mean good, however, and in adding Cobb, we are either no deeper or no better. Samuel would play sparingly, but you need players on the roster who are like that. Cobb is just adding another unknown to a pile of them.
I'm not sure why you need Samuel anymore than Cobb. TSam was the worst 20mpg game guard that I have seen suit up for UConn during my UConn fandom, and after a transfer year of development and one year of play for PSU he doesn't appear to be any better. I don't know what Cobb is, but seeing as how I view next year as a 4 out/1 in type of team with the 1 being by committee(like in 2013 and 2014), I'd rather roll the dice with him and hope he can give you at least 5 minutes. I don't see Samuel being a factor with next year's group of guards unless we have another massive injury situation, and in that case we're effed anyway.

Reaction Score
I posted it in another thread, but we only had true center visit Storrs during Brimah's tenure: Diamond Stone. We didn't really go after anyone. You can argue Ray Kasongo but he was a PF like Adrien and never had the grades anyways - more or less a wasted visit.
Jessie Govan and Djery Baptiste are two names that immediately come to mind.

Reaction Score
Assume for a second that Cobb is not going to prove to be a major factor, either as a starter, or off the bench. (I'm not assuming that to be the case, but let's say it's true). At the very least he gives Enoch someone of equal size and strength to work against in practice, which may improve his game.

I hope he's more, but at least he should provide that to the team.

Exactly. You can't simulate playing against guys his size. If we get more out of him great for us, great for him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you need Samuel anymore than Cobb. TSam was the worst 20mpg game guard that I have seen suit up for UConn during my UConn fandom, and after a transfer year of development and one year of play for PSU he doesn't appear to be any better. I don't know what Cobb is, but seeing as how I view next year as a 4 out/1 in type of team with the 1 being by committee(like in 2013 and 2014), I'd rather roll the dice with him and hope he can give you at least 5 minutes. I don't see Samuel being a factor with next year's group of guards unless we have another massive injury situation, and in that case we're effed anyway.

In other words, Samuel is NOT winning you any games consistently. Cobb potentially could grab some boards next year. Offers a greater value proposition.

Reaction Score

I agree Samuel won't be a factor, which is why I'm OK with giving him a ship assuming there aren't any marksmen out there. It can't be ignored that he played crunch-time minutes for a team that won the national champion - to me, it's about restoring the equilibrium that allowed him to thrive in certain lineups, despite his lack of shooting. If you can't, then it's not a big deal - you're bringing him in for leadership/chemistry and a guy who can give you a few minutes here and there if somebody gets hurt and/or is in foul trouble.

I don't hate Cobb in a vacuum so much as I feel we're in desperate need of bringing in somebody at the five who can play defense. By all accounts Cobb is not that guy. If Enoch had graduated instead of Brimah, I'd be more on board. Where we are now, if Durham can't give us minutes at the five we're in trouble.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jessie Govan and Djery Baptiste are two names that immediately come to mind.
Pretty sure Govan went on an unofficial his junior year, unsure if Djery Baptiste ever visited Storrs.

Reaction Score
I agree Samuel won't be a factor, which is why I'm OK with giving him a ship assuming there aren't any marksmen out there. It can't be ignored that he played crunch-time minutes for a team that won the national champion - to me, it's about restoring the equilibrium that allowed him to thrive in certain lineups, despite his lack of shooting. If you can't, then it's not a big deal - you're bringing him in for leadership/chemistry and a guy who can give you a few minutes here and there if somebody gets hurt and/or is in foul trouble.

I don't hate Cobb in a vacuum so much as I feel we're in desperate need of bringing in somebody at the five who can play defense. By all accounts Cobb is not that guy. If Enoch had graduated instead of Brimah, I'd be more on board. Where we are now, if Durham can't give us minutes at the five we're in trouble.

I actually think Durham is the big wildcard upfront. Its clear he actually knows how to play and has better basketball instincts than any other big man that KO has brought in, he just needs more time to trust and develop his body after the ACL tears. If he can make a big jump this summer in those 2 areas it wouldn't suprise me if he becomes a 25mpg(at the minimum) player next year up front.

As for TSam I would just like to move on from that Purvis/Brimah/Facey/TSam group all together, no need to go back imo.

Last edited:

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Kind of reminds me of Toraino Walker...

Reaction Score
Samuel made some legitimate contributions to a NC team, so I'll always appreciate him for that.

But I can't fathom why anyone would want to bring him back.

Reaction Score
I actually think Durham is the big wildcard upfront. Its clear he actually knows how to play and has better basketball instincts than any other big man that KO has brought in, he just needs more time to trust and develop his body after the ACL tears. If he can make a big jump this summer in those 2 areas it wouldn't suprise me if he becomes a 25mpg(at the minimum) player next year up front.

As for TSam I would just like to move on from that Purvis/Brimah/Facey/TSam group all together, no need to go back imo.

Agree on Durham, he's the guy that can change the ceiling of next years team. I just have no idea what to expect.

I'd rather spend a scholly on T-Sam than burn a four year on somebody we're reaching for, but I'll acknowledge that his connection to the program is the only reason I feel that way. Perhaps if he's willing to twist in the wind for a while we'll eventually have one open for him.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
What was the rush on accepting Bonzie Colson's commitment? Oops we didn't.
What was the rush on accepting Bruce Brown's commitment? Oops we didn't.
What was the rush on accepting Tyrique Jones's commitment? Oops we didn't.

We haven't recruited as well as we should've over the last five years because we were determined to hit home runs, and ended up with a lot of strikeouts.

In this instance there's nothing wrong with hitting an opposite-field single that could end up as extra-bases on the turn.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure Durham will ever have enough bulk to really hold down the 5. (God-willing the string-bean era is over.)

I see him more as a bigger stretch-4 when we go big, vs. Jackson who is a smaller stretch-4.

Reaction Score
imo, kevin ollie is a great defensive coach and recruiter, but his lack of creativity offensively in game and even skill development is worrisome and needs work. For one thing, i'm sure we all saw how terrible the bigs were at screening and rolling as a threat. The thing with pnr is the strong roll itself is a quintessential action in modern hoop, instead he spends a lot of time trying to 'play inside out' for low % jump hooks or running guys off floppy with no good screening happening. Maybe this kid could be that strong screener and body on the offensive glass.

Reaction Score
Didn't have a problem with the signing, definitely had a problem with the timing. If you wan to take a flier on a kid, fine. Don't do it when the current front court is basically full of fliers. We needed a proven player and at this point in the process that was only going to be accomplished through the grad market. If that means scouring for a grad transfer and you end up losing Cobb, so be it.

We essentially added a depth piece to a front court that isn't any good rather than adding a depth piece - T-Sam - to a back court that is ready to go. That seems backwards to me.

God that's dumb. You know why? Because the coaches offered knowing which grad transfers might be seriously interested in UConn and you don't. It's like criticizing a blackjack player's decision to draw on a 14 when he knows what cards are in the deck and you don't.

Reaction Score
God that's dumb. You know why? Because the coaches offered knowing which grad transfers might be seriously interested in UConn and you don't. It's like criticizing a blackjack player's decision to draw on a 14 when he knows what cards are in the deck and you don't.

OK you're right, the staff definitely knew they had no chance at any grad transfers on March 7th, despite the fact that the majority of the country's seasons were still ongoing and despite the fact that they're not technically allowed to contact players until they are officially given their release. Many of these kids themselves don't know where they want to play college ball next season but the UConn coaching staff does. OK.

Reaction Score
OK you're right, the staff definitely knew they had no chance at any grad transfers on March 7th, despite the fact that the majority of the country's seasons were still ongoing and despite the fact that they're not technically allowed to contact players until they are officially given their release. Many of these kids themselves don't know where they want to play college ball next season but the UConn coaching staff does. OK.

Kids aren't speaking to schools. Their AAU and high school coaches know how to gage interest. And if you think this board knows whose high school or AAU coach may have a player wanting to move but our coaches don't, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
Kids aren't speaking to schools. Their AAU and high school coaches know how to gage interest. And if you think this board knows whose high school or AAU coach may have a player wanting to move but our coaches don't, I don't know what to tell you.

You think high school and AAU coaches are privy to the thoughts of kids 4+ years removed from high school? If I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a potential grad transfer...that's a tough decision, a decision that, at this juncture, I probably haven't even made for myself. Sure you can put feelers out if you're the UConn coaching staff, but until the kid himself is in a position where he's not occupied with the grind of a season, I don't know how accurate of a gauge that is. It has nothing to do with me "knowing" what players want to move, it's a skepticism that player X from St. Bonaventure decided where he wanted to play college ball in 2018 two months ago.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean this team is pretty talented. In terms of raw talent, you're not going to do better at most positions on the floor. They desperately need bulk and size. This guy fits the bill and whoever made the analogy it's an opposite field single. Then sure. That's what it is. Minutes, boards and anything else is a gift. If the players that need to take a step forward take a step forward, this is a solid add.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the OP at all. I think UCONN needs a big. At worst mix and match - when we play the burly teams we have two big guys. Next year Adams should be a beast, shouldn't he?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Ollie said- Steve Enoch- you haven't put it all together yet and I am not going to bring in another accomplished big to push you in case you don't take the next big step. That my Boneyard friends, would be suicide on the season. Durham is not ready, Diarra is coming of injury and a good high school freshman center isn't going to take us to the promised land. Cobb fits a big need- he is big and has the opportunity to push his way into the lineup. At worst case, he gives us a little experience and a big body- something we haven't had in ages.

As for pick and roll or pick and pop basketball- Cobb isn't it. Neither was AB and Facey (who had a stretch of 8 games where he was confident in his shot) were guys who were pick and pop guys. Moving forward, who knows.

I would love to see Durham redshirt to build up strength and confidence. He is not a 5- he is a 4 that is still 25 lbs too light and lacks the confidence to show everyone why he was the #27 recruit in the country.
Finally, looking at 5th year guys- staff did it 2 years ago, didn't this past year. Would love to know their thoughts on them.

Reaction Score
My point as OP (not a KO basher) was we r really tight scholarship wise. If we were taking 4 kids then no issue. Just seems we need a shooter and most of all low post banger (I would add who can score some). Not sure he fills role of scorer and we have done so well (Kromah, Miller, Gibbs, and even Evans) and with only one left looking at potentially 0 for 2018 (I understand Jalen prob not here for Sr year).

I love adding a tough player as we were so weak inside this year. But seems like high risk move with such limited scholarships.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My point as OP (not a KO basher) was we r really tight scholarship wise. If we were taking 4 kids then no issue. Just seems we need a shooter and most of all low post banger (I would add who can score some). Not sure he fills role of scorer and we have done so well (Kromah, Miller, Gibbs, and even Evans) and with only one left looking at potentially 0 for 2018 (I understand Jalen prob not here for Sr year).

I love adding a tough player as we were so weak inside this year. But seems like high risk move with such limited scholarships.
It seems that you believe this kid would have waited until mid April, late April, whenever to commit while knowing the only reason we wanted him to wait was to allow us to pull the offer if we found someone better.

Please tell me how we could have presented this scenario to someone and have any chance of him saying "sure coach, I'll be happy to jeopardize my chances with the other schools looking at me just to be there if you can't find someone better".

Reaction Score
I work closely w a Juco in my town and there is no rush for these kids. None. It is not at all the same as HS recruiting.

I just think with our severely limited scholarships a 5th year big who is a bonafide scorer / rebounder a la Shonn Miller would have been better fit. Then next year that spot is open.

What schools were hot on his trail?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom