OT: - What to watch with our 11 yo? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What to watch with our 11 yo?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For series, my girls loved "Wizards of Waverly Place," "iCarly," "Sam & Cat" and "Hannnah Montana."

Hated iCarly (why no adults?), but I found Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place to be pretty solid sitcoms even for adults.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We frequently run into the same issue, with a few exceptions (Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club and a few others). I think the older movies just seem to slow-paced to them now. I think the older movies were more patient and allowed the stories to develop; today's movies seem to be geared towards a much more ADD-inclined audience.

Some good girl-centered ones that we've all enjoyed are Clueless, Legally Blonde and Devil Wears Prada.

Agree for kids at that age.

@87Xfer Sky High was pretty good for that age group too. Disney+ probably has it. My daughter really did enjoy Ferris, Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Better off Dead too. Big Trouble in Little China is underrated and kid safe. Same with Shanghai Noon and Night. My daughter also loves/loved all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and the Night at the Museum movies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hated iCarly (why no adults?), but I found Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place to be pretty solid sitcoms even for adults.
The only one I enjoyed of them was Wizards of Waverly Place. I really hated Sam & Cat because I couldn't stand Arianna Grande's character's voice.

Reaction Score
My 8 year old daughter and I just finished Just Add Magic. I think there are four seasons.

Not bad and I think an 11 year old would enjoy it. It's available on Prime.

Movies we've watched over the past week (too many!):
Jumanji
Holes
How to Train Your Dragon
Any Ghibli film
Mr. Mom
Christopher Robin

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The only one I enjoyed of them was Wizards of Waverly Place. I really hated Sam & Cat because I couldn't stand Arianna Grande's character's voice.

Oddly I discovered Wizards before my daughter. I thought I might be having a heart attack one morning while at work, went to the Hospital. EKGs galore and they kept me overnight for a stress test the next day.

So as I lay there, no book no nothing except hospital TV...and there was nothing on, except that show, which I had never seen, on the Disney Channel in marathon mode. Strange the things you remember.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My 8 year old daughter and I just finished Just Add Magic. I think there are four seasons.

Not bad and I think an 11 year old would enjoy it. It's available on Prime.

Movies we've watched over the past week (too many!):
Jumanji
Holes
How to Train Your Dragon
Any Ghibli film
Mr. Mom
Christopher Robin

I find the new Jumanji movies very dad friendly. Yes, yes I do. :cool: Might need a Dr. Who marathon from the Amy Pond era soon too.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
fun and interesting for all ages -- "Geography Now' series on you tube. pretty much every country on earth completely covered, and each episode between 10 and 25 minutes. 'Barby,' the host, is a cool dude in a loose mood, along with being a supergenius. here, have sum.
master link

Cool, we're going to watch one now!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Free year or 6-month subscription for Verizon mobile customers, I believe.

Following up on that offer is yet another thing on my list. I think it lowers my price, and only requires autopayment, which I already do.
Thanks for this. I just signed up for our free year.

Reaction Score

The mom passed away. The dad was on a top secret submarine for the armed services.

Spencer was over 18 and a legal guardian. Jeez.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I know a new movie and season of Shaun The Sheep just dropped. It may be a bit young for her but I'm old and I love it. Shaun saved me from the horrors of Bubble Guppies and Paw Patrol.
I second this suggestion. Movies with a terrific sense of humor that can be enjoyed by all ages.

Reaction Score
We just watched Oceans 11 - my boys are around that age. They all have diff tastes and loved it. It’s on Comedy Central a lot I think so it cuts down on the swearing. Tomorrow oceans 12!

Reaction Score
We frequently run into the same issue, with a few exceptions (Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club and a few others). I think the older movies just seem too slow-paced to them now. I think the older movies were more patient and allowed the stories to develop; today's movies seem to be geared towards a much more ADD-inclined audience.

Some good girl-centered ones that we've all enjoyed are Clueless, Legally Blonde and Devil Wears Prada.

Good observation. Legally Blonde is a staple in my house, even my youngest likes it. I think it was before it’s time. Reese Witherspoon’s character is incredibly current in the social media age. I hear another Legally movie is coming out pretty soon. I often wonder if Kim Kardashian’s law aspirations and activism getting falsely imprisoned people out of jail were inspired by Legally Blonde.

Devil Wears Prada was pretty good too. Even I feel like Clueless is old.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Though you can’t stream—Spirited Away or any studio ghibli movie. Japanese anime that are usually featured in my backyard summer movie series
Other titles that are good enough for a rewatch are coraline,paranorman and box trolls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom