OT: - What sports don't catch your interest? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: What sports don't catch your interest?

Reaction Score
Lacrosse and tennis to me are unwatchable in person or on tv.

I guess that’s why tickets for good seats at the US Open, Wimbledon, the French Open and the Australian Open cost hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Reaction Score
Lay off the bottle or substances. Jimmy's Seaside was no where near those spots, and as well known for powders as liquids :p
Never went there for powders or liquids, well maybe would have one bottle of beer. Always went there for the sights, and did very well. Lol

I guess you were a Bopper’s kind of guy.

Reaction Score
Really surprised by all the tennis calls. It's the second best sport to watch after basketball IMO.

Reaction Score
Really surprised by all the tennis calls. It's the second best sport to watch after basketball IMO.
Especially with HawkEye now, no more disagreements on close calls. In person it’s great as long as you’re not in the nosebleed seats at the Open.

Reaction Score
The list of sports idgaf about is much much longer than the ones I do care about...

1) UConn MBB (Mens CBB in general is my favorite sport by a wide margin)
2) NFL
3) UConn Football & CFB (pretty much just SEC games, Big 10 is excruciatingly boring)
4) Yankees (zero interest in watching MLB outside of the Yankees)
5) Golf Majors (weekends only)
6) NBA playoffs for about 5 minutes until I get bored

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Could it have been the old Jimme’s Seaside? I used to hang out there 35+ years ago.
Yessirr! Used to hang out there all the time also 15-20 years ago. Steak bomb from Pats Hubba Hubba afterwards hit great afterwards.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Tennis has become boring to me because the players have gotten, bigger, faster, and stronger. The technology for the racquets has gotten better and the court has stayed the same. I like watching serve and volley players match up against baseline players. Lefties vs. righties. All that from late 70's through early 2000's. By the time Federer and Nadal were in their prime, it became boring to me. At least with golf they lengthen the course to account for 350 yard drives and 160 yard pitching wedges (Although the lofts for those irons are two or three clubs stronger than what they were 25 years ago).

And it's the same for me with MMA. I liked it better when a kickboxer was fighting a wrestler/grappler type backgrounds. Now they all do the same training and are at least competent in all disciplines before they become main event type people.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I found myself watching pickleball on TV yesterday. Seems like it’s a sport on the rise but I thought it was more for people who had one foot in the grave, not youngish people on TV. It’s lame.
I know a woman who is now in her 70s. She lived until her mid 20s in South Africa where she was a good enough tennis player to represent her country in some international tournaments. She now is an ardent pickle baller. I asked her if given her tennis skill if pickle ball isn’t boring for her. She said it was actually a bit humbling. But playing isn’t the same as watching it.

Reaction Score
I felt the same way years ago. Now that I have a kid playing and understand it a bit better, I love it. Playoff hockey is insane.
Playoff hockey is the by far the best playoffs

Reaction Score
Lacrosse wasn’t being played in Meriden ever so in the mid 70s I thought it was for preppies only. It’s actually a pretty cool game that I think I would’ve liked, some skill and some physicality but not better than baseball and basketball. It was always known as a preppy game but I get it, I don’t hate it.
I actually took a physical education class in lacrosse at UConn as part of my liberal arts program 40 years ago. I enjoyed it and might have played it if was offered to middle class Hartford kids like myself.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I guess that’s why tickets for good seats at the US Open, Wimbledon, the French Open and the Australian Open cost hundreds and thousands of dollars.
I have always liked women’s tennis and women’s beach volleyball. They are great athletes.

Reaction Score
They recently aired axe throwing. Guys throwing axes dead center every time. Yawn.
I admire the skill and respect it. However, it doesn't mean it's all that fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Hot Dog eating contest. I can't believe I have not seen that listed in this thread-maybe I missed it. Or maybe no one listed it because no one considers it a sport and I sure as hell don't. I think it's ridiculous hot dog eating is even shown on TV or that competitive eating even exists-how dumb and revolting.

I think it's dumb that poker was ever on ESPN or FS1, two sports channels. However, I wouldn't necessarily be besides myself if they showed those on a gameshow network.

Reaction Score
Hot Dog eating contest. I can't believe I have not seen that listed in this thread-maybe I missed it. Or maybe no one listed it because no one considers it a sport and I sure as hell don't. I think it's ridiculous hot dog eating is even shown on TV or that competitive eating even exists-how dumb and revolting.

I think it's dumb that poker was ever on ESPN or FS1, two sports channels. However, I wouldn't necessarily be besides myself if they showed those on a gameshow network.
I guess it would fall under the "E" in ESPN. Entertainment. Years ago the local news aired an interview with Bill and Scott Rasmussen, founders of ESPN. They came up with the idea for ESPN while researching leasing satellite time to air UConn games in Connecticut. They learned at the time that the time they would lease would cover the entire nation, not just Connecticut. They had concerns about filling the entire 24 hours with sports content given the budget they had. So they named it ESPN , Entertainment Sports Programming Network, to give them the flexibility to add non sports programming if they needed to fill time.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I played a gig at a festival in Wakefield RI yesterday. They had a mobile axe throwing cage.10 bucks for 3 throws. They let me throw a few for free because I was working there, I missed by a mile and the couple I got near the target didn’t stick because I have no clue of how to throw an axe. Never thought about doing it, but this afternoon, I pulled a regular one out of my shed ( which I don’t know why I have, I don’t do any outdoor work) and started throwing at a tree in backyard. Still never came close to sticking one and now my shoulder hurts. Going to try again tomorrow though. I’m determined.
Pretend Deepster's face is on the tree trunk.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Nascar, Golf, Pickleball, Cornhole, Poker.

I actually used to love watching Sumo years ago. There were some incredible stories about the fighters back in the day and I found the matches exciting and compelling. Not sure why ESPN stopped showing them.

Reaction Score
I know a woman who is now in her 70s. She lived until her mid 20s in South Africa where she was a good enough tennis player to represent her country in some international tournaments. She now is an ardent pickle baller. I asked her if given her tennis skill if pickle ball isn’t boringfor her. She said it was actually a bit humbling. But playing isn’t the same as watching it.
I would think watching four people playing Pickleball is about as exciting as watching four Chinese guys playing ping pong from 50 feet away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Great match on right now at the French Open, it’s live play. They’re still playing at 11:30pm. Rowdy crowd too, at that hour.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I would think watching four people playing Pickleball is about as exciting as watching four Chinese guys playing ping pong from 50 feet away.
Maybe so, but those four Chinese guys would make us look like we were swatting flies who were way too fast for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom