OT: - What sports don't catch your interest? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: What sports don't catch your interest?

Reaction Score
The Marathon. Hours of live national TV for "they're still running." No announcer can make this exciting.

Reaction Score
As far as UConn goes:
Watch every game - UConn MBB
Watch nearly every game - UConn football, WBB
Follow and watch when I can - UConn baseball, men's hockey men's soccer, volleyball
Retweet on Twitter when something good happens: the rest

Tiers of sports to watch generally:
S tier - Men's college basketball (watch a ton)
A tier - Olympic basketball, major international soccer tournaments, USMNT soccer, college football (watch as much as is convenient)
B tier - NBA, NFL, major EPL/European soccer, NCAA and international volleyball (somewhat regularly watch big regular season matchups, playoffs, would go to gatherings to watch games with friends, etc)
C tier - Women's college basketball, other college sports, F1, Golf, Tennis, NHL (sometimes watch major events, playoffs)
D tier - MLB, WNBA (never watch)
F tier - pickleball, NASCAR (actively avoid)

Reaction Score
I would think watching four people playing Pickleball is about as exciting as watching four Chinese guys playing ping pong from 50 feet away.
or, a couple dudes going all sumo (from any distance)

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Hockey, NBA, and MMA.

Hockey is great to watch live, but I have just never got into following the sport since the Whalers left in my childhood.

NBA I lost interest in. I follow UConn players and used to follow star players I liked but never had a rooting interest in any particular team.

MMA I have tried to get into. I have followed boxing for years and outside of the top level MMA fighters everytime I try to watch an event to give it another chance it just looks like a street fight and is sloppy. I can watch lower level boxing and still be entertained but just do not get the same satisfaction from MMA.

My favorite sports schedules work perfectly. European football and boxing has something going on year round. Baseball runs April- October and NCAA basketball goes from November-April. My sports watching time does not have many gaps to get an interest in anything else.

Reaction Score
Hockey, Soccer and Golf.

I grew-up watching Hockey, but it's just as painful for me to sit down and watch it as Soccer is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Used to watch tennis. Then it got boring with the same three baseline guys winning. Lost track of women’s tennis when the attractive players tailed off. Golf is only interesting late on Sunday in a major. Boxing sucks. I’ve lost some interest in baseball, it’s just too many games. Playoff baseball can be good. Soccer is good if the match matters and if you know the team. I can’t randomly watch two Italian or Spanish teams.

But the real answer, relevant for now, is that the Olympics seem increasingly pointless.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tennis has become boring to me because the players have gotten, bigger, faster, and stronger. The technology for the racquets has gotten better and the court has stayed the same. I like watching serve and volley players match up against baseline players. Lefties vs. righties. All that from late 70's through early 2000's. By the time Federer and Nadal were in their prime, it became boring to me. At least with golf they lengthen the course to account for 350 yard drives and 160 yard pitching wedges (Although the lofts for those irons are two or three clubs stronger than what they were 25 years ago).

And it's the same for me with MMA. I liked it better when a kickboxer was fighting a wrestler/grappler type backgrounds. Now they all do the same training and are at least competent in all disciplines before they become main event type people.
Spot on. McEnroe vs Borg was brilliant TV. Becker vs Agassi was great TV. I appreciate how great the current guys are but it’s not interesting anymore. The finesse is gone. Even from the women’s game.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Spot on. McEnroe vs Borg was brilliant TV. Becker vs Agassi was great TV. I appreciate how great the current guys are but it’s not interesting anymore. The finesse is gone. Even from the women’s game.
Tennis live is way better. Used to go to the Pilot Pen all the time over at Yale and would watch the top guys at the time on the practice and outer courts. They crush the ball and can rally all day if they want to.

Bonus - I saw Uncle Phil (RIP) from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air walking around there one time.

Reaction Score
1. UConn hoops (obviously)
2. NFL(nothing better than sundays in the fall -DraftKings lineups, money on the games, league fantasy teams , nfl survivor etc… and of course red zone is a game changer )
3. Non-UConn college hoops
4. College football
5. Nba playoffs (cud care less bout regular season)
6. Baseball -once nba finals end( Red Sox used to be must see tv for me , but have faded past few years )
  • used to like hockey when I was a kid but when whalers left that was it for me.
  • u couldn’t pay me to watch golf- rather watch grass grow
  • soccer , eh- not enough scoring and flow for me but I will mess with World Cup for sure

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tennis live is way better. Used to go to the Pilot Pen all the time over at Yale and would watch the top guys at the time on the practice and outer courts. They crush the ball and can rally all day if they want to.

Bonus - I saw Uncle Phil (RIP) from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air walking around there one time.
Long ago during college summers I used to work the ATP Champions tour (or its predecessor) tournament in Simsbury. Did the parking in the morning. Then we got to hang out with the players in the club or watch matches or whatever. Stan Smith, The Gullikson brothers. It is indeed better live, but that's the closest I've gotten to pro tennis.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Really surprised by all the tennis calls. It's the second best sport to watch after basketball IMO.
An answer in more ways than one
angry tennis GIF by NOWNESS

Reaction Score
I used to love hockey until the Whalers left town. Now, my eye twitches every time I see a puck.

Reaction Score
Of the many popular sports which ones do you rarely or never watch? Or could easily switch channels to a movie.

For me it's soccer; it takes so long to score a point.

Also car racing; I don't see the attraction of watching cars going around in circles.
Went to my first NASCAR event in Dallas, got to sit in the pit in these elevated booths ( paid for by Sony ). Pretty cool, very exciting experience and the loudest 4 solid hours you could possibly imagine even with headphones on, ( with them off was pure insanity, we had to share them for the first hour or so ). I’d definitely go back but only if I could sit in the pit crew area again because I do agree that sitting in the stands and watching cars go round and round for a few hours is not appealing to me same as watching on tv.

Reaction Score
I've given up on soccer. Have tried to get into it several times and it never took.

Surprised at the dislike for lacrosse, considering it shares many offensive and defensive concepts with basketball. And women's lacrosse is more enjoyable to watch than men's.

Golf majors are worth watching if I remember they are on. Otherwise, little interest.

Platform tennis (aka paddle) is really fun to play and pretty boring to watch.

I find I watch less and less baseball each year. Used to be really into it too.

College hockey is better than the NHL, same with college hoops and the NBA.

Reaction Score
Stuff I watch regularly: college and NBA hoop, college and NFL football, the NHL, college lacrosse and European club soccer.

I'll buy a UFC or boxing card if there's a fight that interests me. I'm a Red Sox fan and I find the organization infuriating so I doubt I'll be watching much baseball anytime soon. Once in a blue moon I'll watch part of a golf major Sunday but pretty rarely. Never really got into watching tennis.

Zero interest in anything involving cars, motorcycles or bicycles. Or 99% of the Olympics. And as much as I love the EPL, Champions League, etc. I have no interest in the USMNT.

Things I would have to be compensated to watch: the thing where grown men slap each other in the face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom