OT: - What sports don't catch your interest? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: What sports don't catch your interest?

Reaction Score
Soccer is still great. Good games almost everyday. Even the off season. Hate if you must, your loss.
You convince someone to like soccer just like I can’t someone to like folkstyle wrestling, some sports you had to have participated in or been around to get into it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is it really our loss? Feels like the tens of millions of US sports fans who watch TV and just don't like it disprove your statement.
I was like you once. However good life is for the average person, it would be better with soccer in it.

Reaction Score
Auto Racing, College Football, Tennis, Hockey, Cricket, Rugby, Golf outside Majors, and any other Olympic sports I don't really watch.

Reaction Score
Aside from many of the sports already mentioned, As a generalization, and sport that involves judges voting. Unless it's pretty much mirrors the Olympic motto FASTER, HIGHER, STRONGER, (with the exception of more, as in team scoring) its just a farce to me.

Reaction Score
I was like you once. However good life is for the average person, it would be better with soccer in it.

Sports I'd rather watch over soccer:

Dog agility competitions
Lumberjack competitions
Darts
Cornhole
Strongest Man in the World competitions
Battlebots
American Gladiator reruns
Those contests in Scotland where they chase a wheel of cheese down a steep hill

Reaction Score

Dog agility competitions
Lumberjack competitions
Darts
Cornhole
Battlebots
The fastest dog competitions are straight fire.

Reaction Score

Dog agility competitions
Lumberjack competitions
Darts
Cornhole
Battlebots
I have grown to enjoy watching MMA/UFC. I don’t enjoy it enough to buy pay per views or attend in person, but I’ll watch it if it’s on ESPN. There’s definitely a divide and rare overlap between folks who watch soccer and those who watch MMA.

Reaction Score

Dog agility competitions
Lumberjack competitions
Darts
Cornhole
Battlebots
Strongest Man in the World competitions are pretty awesome as are lumberjack competitions.

American Gladiators was great for it's time.

They're all more exciting than golf and a lot of soccer matches and I do love the World Cup.

Reaction Score
This British sport being played by Jiskefet is one sport I just cannot get enough of when it is televised live, though rare

Reaction Score
Women's field hockey, especially at lower levels. A series of whistles interrupted by play. The sole exception was an absolutely incredible 1976 MEN'S Montreal Olympic final between India and Pakistan. It was the closest thing I've ever seen to war. Men's field hockey has vastly different rules. Add that to genetic hatred and the result was unbelievable. The best event we saw. ..and for a sport I had never seen before..or since

Reaction Score
Golf, though not super popular, just seems like an awful lot of wasted space.

Cricket, again not popular ( outside of a few countries )

Rugby

Nascar and racing in general

Curling ( though not popular)

Mma, boxing (Too brutal)

I don't mind bowling or darts too much, won't go out of my way to watch though
Did I just read that correctly? Golf is not super popular? You mean the one that the Saudis think is so worthless they’re trying to buy it outright? Or that sees the largest combined attendance of any sporting event in CT (travelers)?

I understand not liking to watch it completely, but to say it’s not popular is off the reservation

Reaction Score
Hockey. I've tried, and just can't get into it. It's too chaotic for me.
Ha, that’s funny. That’s exact the opposite reason of why I can’t get into 162 games a year of baseball despite being a redsox fan. To little action and 3 hours of my day

Reaction Score
Soccer is still great. Good games almost everyday. Even the off season. Hate if you must, your loss.
International soccer tournaments are the only thing that have come close to the excitement of UConn making a deep run in March Madness for me

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fell asleep during Pirates post-game show, wake up around 3am to a voice I recognize... John Fanta excitedly calling a bowling match.

From like 12-14, me and my friends used to religiously watch bowling on Saturday afternoons on ABC, and went to lanes often. Played on our dorm's intramural team in Storrs and made finals (I blew it for the team). Today, I can't imagine spending a second watching it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I seemed to have made Uconn men bb a year round focus at the expense of what I formerly used to enjoy. I was a Giant football fan for years and loved the NFL in in the 70's particularly. NBA at an earlier part of my life. Not much anymore. I put baseball on (Yankees) tv because not much else on and I find certain announcers interesting but it's not hard to get bored or turn off.

I find Uconn men bb to be not only interesting and entertaining but very inspirational as well. I worked with kids from age 45-66 and watching them grow was a part of daily life. I just find the kids giving their all a source of great joy. Watching the interviews with Danny and Andrea was likewise very inspirational. Reminds me of the songs "Forever Young"
and "Young at heart." Love watching the students going crazy in the stands!

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Fell asleep during Pirates post-game show, wake up around 3am to a voice I recognize... John Fanta excitedly calling a bowling match.

From like 12-14, me and my friends used to religiously watch bowling on Saturday afternoons on ABC, and went to lanes often. Played on our dorm's intramural team in Storrs and made finals (I blew it for the team). Today, I can't imagine spending a second watching it.
LOL.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its not in Scotland, its in Gloucester, England. One of the best sporting events I ever had the fortune to attend, and that includes 3 UConn titles, NY Rangers Cup final in 94.
I feel as if this event is somehow connected to your wife's sister's wedding.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Dog agility competitions
Lumberjack competitions
Darts
Cornhole
Battlebots
It's still your loss.

Reaction Score

I was in some bowling leagues but more for the beer than the bowling.

I went on a ski trip to Sugarbush years ago with Travelers. We were snowed in for an extra day after massive snow dump. Half the people left early Monday for their bowling league that night. I stayed with the remaining people to ski. We did watch bowling that Saturday afternoon after skiing with Chris Schenkl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom