What makes me wonder about all this | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What makes me wonder about all this

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So the real question is not whether or not the player gets to play basketball, it's whether or not the student gets her education paid for? If the lawsuit is filed over the education aspect I suspect that the university would provide an academic scholarship. However, most of these girls probably want to play basketball and would choose to go to another school.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
As game theory tells us, reputation only matters if there are future periods.
She's 60. There are not too many recruits in her future.
Yeah, but UNC supposedly has a lot of recruits in its future.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And whose fault is that?

I love how you continue to make these damning comments but then claim you're not condemning Hatchell.

I don't care if you do, but let's call a spade a spade. It's her program. If you believe something shady is occurring then at least call her out directly. There's no way she didn't approve every action here. And if you believe she didn't, then you're saying she has no control over her own program, which isn't a compliment either.
Vowelguy, we have no idea how the situation came to be. We do know from the reporting of ESPN/Hoopgurlz that during the last two weeks that several of these kids worked out a plan to commit together to UNC. We do not know how they made the commitment. We don't know that they spoke to Sylvia or one of the assistants. For all we know they could have all left voice mail messages on the office phone and assumed that there was room for all of them. I doubt they understood the ins and outs of the numbers surrounding scholarships and graduation. It is likely that they are kids caught up in the passion and enthusiasm of the point and made an impulsive act. What we do know is that coaches are not allowed to make comments on issues regarding the recruitment of players other than yes or no they are being recruited and verbals exist. So Sylvia is in a difficult place regarding these events and what she can or cannot say. Simply put, at this point since we don't know how the specific events came about and were executed we have no ability to say it is or it not a "shady" situation or not.

At the same time, however, the simple issues of recruiting over top of players and beyond the limits of the available scholarships it is very easy to identify what is moral behavior. It is not dependent at all on what Sylvia has or has not done. It is dependent only on the issues of commitment and standing by one's promises. Only time will tell how it plays out, but my guess is that your suggestions were close to right. Again let me reiterate we have no idea what or how Sylvia contributed to or was blindsided by the events of the weekend. If there are statements by her or staff that are out there I have not seen them.

In other words there is a huge gulf between what we do not know about Sylvia's actions and how the events occurred and what we can know about moral people handle their obligations and commitments. If and when we know exactly what Sylvia Hatchell knew when and what she did or did not do there will be sufficient opportunity to afix blame far more clearly or complete absolution if that is appropriate.

Reaction Score
I see announcement of verbals frequently. It is not uncommon. Schools cannot comment on recruits prior than LOIs other than to confirm they are bing recruited or that offers are extended. If not none of us would ever know who is on a school's list except from the recruits.

Under NCAA rules, I think that the extent of what a school can say is that they are recruiting a player. I don't think they can even confirm that an offer has been made. And definitely can't announce anything about a verbal. (I assume you mean an "announcement" made by the player or her coach etc.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Under NCAA rules, I think that the extent of what a school can say is that they are recruiting a player. I don't think they can even confirm that an offer has been made. And definitely can't announce anything about a verbal. (I assume you mean an "announcement" made by the player or her coach etc.)
My understanding is that it can go as far as confirming a player has made a verbal commitment. It is possible that I am thinking of media reports but I'm pretty sure there were reports about the players who decommitted from PSU in the fall following the breaking of the Sandusky situation. It may well be that I am confusing news in the PSU student newspaper with material from the team website. I know the information was directly related to the university.

Reaction Score
Wasn't it Sam Goldwyn who said that an oral contract isn't
worth the paper it's printed on?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My understanding is that it can go as far as confirming a player has made a verbal commitment. It is possible that I am thinking of media reports but I'm pretty sure there were reports about the players who decommitted from PSU in the fall following the breaking of the Sandusky situation. It may well be that I am confusing news in the PSU student newspaper with material from the team website. I know the information was directly related to the university.
I honestly think that schools' posting info about an oral commitment on its web site isn't allowed. See this article: Michigan players commit NCAA violation by tweeting congrats.

The violation stems from this NCAA Rule 13.10.2:
“Comments Before signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution.” (NCAA)

(text bolded by me) Schools canNOT make any sort of comment that a recruit will sign with them which would include posting statements that a recruit has made an oral commitment. The rule makes sense. After all, since the oral is non-binding, the player's status as an unsigned recruit remains unchanged.

BTW, the blog entry mentions the NCAA "allowing" oral commitments. The NCAA doesn't regulate them at all because they're not an official instrument, just an announcement, so it neither allows nor disallows them. It was a goofy comment.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy, we have no idea how the situation came to be. .

You're right; we don't. But that has not prevented you from making dozens of posts about how terrible this situation is, how unfair it is to the kids, etc etc. You have made all these comments about how shady it is, but at the same time have tried to claim that you're not criticizing Hatchell. If the situation is as you describe, then she had 5 scholarship offers out even though she had 0 (or maye 1) open slots, and then was "caught off guard" when everyone accepted at once. Yeah, that's believable.

You can't make all these allegations of unfairness and then claim you don't know what happened and that you're not condemning the coach.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I honestly think that schools' posting info about an oral commitment on its web site isn't allowed. See this article: Michigan players commit NCAA violation by tweeting congrats.

The violation stems from this NCAA Rule 13.10.2:
“Comments Before signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing with that institution.” (NCAA)

(text bolded by me) Schools canNOT make any sort of comment that a recruit will sign with them which would include posting statements that a recruit has made an oral commitment. The rule makes sense. After all, since the oral is non-binding, the player's status as an unsigned recruit remains unchanged.

BTW, the blog entry mentions the NCAA "allowing" oral commitments. The NCAA doesn't regulate them at all because they're not an official instrument, just an announcement, so it neither allows nor disallows them. It was a goofy comment.
See my earlier post. "It is possible that I am thinking of media reports but I'm pretty sure there were reports about the players who decommitted from PSU in the fall following the breaking of the Sandusky situation." I realized I confused articles by the Penn State student paper with the team website. Plus there are team websites that are unaffiliated with the schools. It makes it very confusing. Thanks for sharing that further information.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You're right; we don't. But that has not prevented you from making dozens of posts about how terrible this situation is, how unfair it is to the kids, etc etc. You have made all these comments about how shady it is, but at the same time have tried to claim that you're not criticizing Hatchell. If the situation is as you describe, then she had 5 scholarship offers out even though she had 0 (or maye 1) open slots, and then was "caught off guard" when everyone accepted at once. Yeah, that's believable.

You can't make all these allegations of unfairness and then claim you don't know what happened and that you're not condemning the coach.
Wake up, there were no allegations. I invite to list the dozens of posts where I have made attacks against Sylvia Hatchell. The situation is terrible and is unfair to the students already committed to and involved with the team. It is very easy to separate Sylvia Hatchell as a cause from this given the present information and the problem that must be resolved by her now and importance of handling the situation in an appropriate way. That you cannot do it is your problem.

U

UCONNfan1

i'm not sure i see what the HUGE deal is. sure they over recruited. it happens all the time in football. it happens sometimes in men's hoops. now it's happened on women's hoops.

do we villify kids like EDD or Gemelos or Harper who verbal to a school, then subsequently change their minds, even at apparenlty the very last minute which has the effect of preventing UCONN from recuiting anyone else? no.

now i realize the universities should be beld to a higher level of review, but let's face it. scholarships are technically only for 1 year. and verbals aren't worth the paper they are written on since either side can change their minds. Duke recruited OVER a kid who recently verbaled but she changed her mind after Williams committed (i believe that was the case).

i have no doubt that probably one or maybe 2 of the lower rated kids who already verbaled to UNC might change their minds. do i like it? no. will it hurt UNC in the future? maybe. but as long as they are doing it within the rules, then it's not "illegal".

Kids should be allowed to do what is in their best interest. and to a degree, i feel that universities should be allowed to do the same, provided they play within the rules.

If, as we suspect, UNC pulls back the offers to others in 2013 or "encourages" kids who are currently on the team to consider transferring, it's not THAT different from programs that recruit over the top of kids. don't you think Johnson would have stayed if we didn't have Tuck or Stewart coming in next year?

anyway, i'm sure i'm not going to convince anyone who feels one way or the other, but before we rush to judgment and crucify Hatchell, let's at least see how it plays out. and i'll be very curious to read the comments from the kids who do leave as to how it all comes about.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As my mother and father used to say to me, "Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean it is right or good."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Wasn't it Sam Goldwyn who said that an oral contract isn't
worth the paper it's printed on?

I think he (or some other wag) said that "An oral contract isn't worth the paper it's NOT printed on."

I have a solution for UNC (that would surely please Maryland and Duke fans, at least). NCAA does the math, ignores oral commitments, counts only players and LOIs, sees more than 15 names on the roster, so then comes down hard on UNC: "Sylvia, your wcbb team is banned from NCAA tournaments from 2014 to 2017."

You can bet that there would be a stampede of Tarheel wcbb transfers.

Reaction Score
WOW!!!! I happen to see this start on the internet as it became public! My ist reaction was oh s*** we didn't get DD!
There were threads and posts in recent weeks about not pressuring kids etal. I had felt that Taya was going to ND for sometime! As DD did not commit as time went by that the common belief of a lot of people in the know that she was
going to ultimately commit to U CONN begain to me to have increasing doubts. Maybe it was the "obcessive time" I spend
figuring out rosters,recruits,minutes/positions,from one minute to the next! LOL I meant one year to the next,but a "proverbial Freudian Slip" is appropriate since I do obcess and have note books filled with all of this! I admit that for a long time I figured it was going to work out as it has before! The U CONN system is special in so many ways! As has been said for many reasons it is not for everyone. The really GOOD players who are ready are going to get their minutes even w/o starting!
Most recently KML. I had thought for so many reasons it had come down to us!
As time went on and on I got to a point of questioning her committing to us! Bummer innitially:( I went through the 5 stages of Elizabeth Kubler Ross famous stages,process, and book! I was obcessing on having eliminated,DD,Taya,Macvunga, the early exploring of CD going out to Mercedes Russell school and over time realizing she was not interested in us!
I see now how/why GENO,CD etal were after McDaniel until the end. More to come!

Reaction Score
Good for UNC and best of luck to the recruits. I hope Hatchell knows what to do with all that talent. It would be nice to see UNC back in the spotlight. UCONN will be fine! I still think UNC has a long way to go get to UCONN's level.

GO UCONN!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think he (or some other wag) said that "An oral contract isn't worth the paper it's NOT printed on."

I have a solution for UNC (that would surely please Maryland and Duke fans, at least). NCAA does the math, ignores oral commitments, counts only players and LOIs, sees more than 15 names on the roster, so then comes down hard on UNC: "Sylvia, your wcbb team is banned from NCAA tournaments from 2014 to 2017."

You can bet that there would be a stampede of Tarheel wcbb transfers.

Works for me :cool:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Dozens? You must have added up all the posts critisizing the situation and attributed them all to Icebear.

It IS a terrible situation for the 12 players that will be on the roster in 2013. If more of the verbals in 2013 prior to the "big 4" don't open their recruitment then some of the current players will not have their scholarships renewed. That sucks.

And you can have many offers out. But you don't have to accept them if it puts you over the limit.

It's a valid opinion to think this stinks. Not sure why you can't accept that without insulting posters for having that opinion.

Reaction Score
All the conjecture on liability is missing one big factor: The correspondence between the recruit and the school. If a player commits orally, I believe the school will respond in writing telling the player, thanks for your interest, but we can't make any commitment because the NCAA rules state, etc. Once an LOI is signed, in fact I'll bet the LOI includes wording that tells the recruit exactly what the legal ramifications are when the recruit signs, including what the school can do to get out of the contract.

So, there is no possibility of the player winning a lawsuit because they have already signed away their rights to sue. No school would leave themselves open to legal peril.

Now, whether it is ethical to invoke the contact terms that allow letting a player go, that is a different problem, a Public Relations problem, not a legal one. That's my opinion, and if you don't like it, sue me. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I see now how/why GENO,CD etal were after McDaniel until the end. More to come!
No they weren't. Geno pulled the scholly offer when it was clear Xylina was unsure she wanted to come to UConn.

Reaction Score
If more of the verbals in 2013 prior to the "big 4" don't open their recruitment then some of the current players will not have their scholarships renewed. That sucks..

I agree.

It's a valid opinion to think this stinks.

Show me where I say it isnt.

As I said in the other post, if you think it sucks then agree that the ultimate responsibility lies with the head coach. To simulatenously rant and rave about how unfair this is but then claim "oh but I'm not criticizing the coach" is disingenuous.

Reaction Score
No they weren't. Geno pulled the scholly offer when it was clear Xylina was unsure she wanted to come to UConn.
Nan I know that it! The limit on time cut out the second half of my post! The point I was making is that we were willing to take a 4th recruit X,until it became apparent to him that she was unsure she wanted to be a HUSKIE! At that point he was clear the game was over for him with her.
I will retype the 2nd half of my post tomorrow! I will comment that amongst that group of players that decided to verbal along with the coaches some one knew in this day in age that it was going to put them over the 15 limit,not by 1,but by at least 4!!!! Actually I had thought it was 5! I was watching the internet as it came down ist DD,with more to come! LOL I was able to count to 15;) I had hoped in the past that DD would be a catalyst for recruiting for this class and next years! Of course that would not have have created the #s issue they have at NC! They loaded up it will be interesting how it plays out and the future fallout if any! My feelings are bring them on:)
Of course you recruit more than you will get because you do not know what will happen! But everyone knows the limit of 15.
It will get worked out in the various ways that have been documented here! What it has created I think is the potential for some backlash! What is an impressive hall of kids is a potential public nightmare!
Ira

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
i'm not sure i see what the HUGE deal is. sure they over recruited. it happens all the time in football. it happens sometimes in men's hoops. now it's happened on women's hoops.

do we villify kids like EDD or Gemelos or Harper who verbal to a school, then subsequently change their minds, even at apparenlty the very last minute which has the effect of preventing UCONN from recuiting anyone else? no.

now i realize the universities should be beld to a higher level of review, but let's face it. scholarships are technically only for 1 year. and verbals aren't worth the paper they are written on since either side can change their minds. Duke recruited OVER a kid who recently verbaled but she changed her mind after Williams committed (i believe that was the case).

i have no doubt that probably one or maybe 2 of the lower rated kids who already verbaled to UNC might change their minds. do i like it? no. will it hurt UNC in the future? maybe. but as long as they are doing it within the rules, then it's not "illegal".

Kids should be allowed to do what is in their best interest. and to a degree, i feel that universities should be allowed to do the same, provided they play within the rules.

If, as we suspect, UNC pulls back the offers to others in 2013 or "encourages" kids who are currently on the team to consider transferring, it's not THAT different from programs that recruit over the top of kids. don't you think Johnson would have stayed if we didn't have Tuck or Stewart coming in next year?

anyway, i'm sure i'm not going to convince anyone who feels one way or the other, but before we rush to judgment and crucify Hatchell, let's at least see how it plays out. and i'll be very curious to read the comments from the kids who do leave as to how it all comes about.

You convinced me...oh wait...I was already convinced.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
"Kids should be allowed to do what is in their best interest. and to a degree, i feel that universities should be allowed to do the same, provided they play within the rules."

In the world of my mind's eye, Universities have a far greater responsibility to do what is in the best interest of the student. When we send our “kids” off the college, this expectation should me fundamental, and met.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The selling her soul hypothesis has an interesting, plausable, variation noted by vowelguy: That Sylvia did not orchestrate the events, that the entire matter was to paraphrase the title of a wonderful book; The Girl(s) Who Fell From The Sky.
If that reading is correct than the entire nature of the program at UNC may change with the student athletes participating in administering practices, substitution patterns, game strategy. Can you imagine?

On the matter of Sylvia's age...folks, wake up. Lots of seniors are returning to key positions or never retiring. I've been hearing that 70 is the new 55. With her style of coaching, she could go on forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom