What makes me wonder about all this | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What makes me wonder about all this

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Serenity now, Nan. Serenity now.
I'm normally a patient person but I have limits. And if something around me becomes too high maintenance, I get rid of it. I'm a terror in my household when it's Closet Cleaning Day.

Reaction Score
... I just think that the more prudent behavior would be to wait and see what happens and then if Hatchell pulls a dirty-handed trick THEN criticize her. I just try to wait until someone actually does something that I don't like before I get into a debate about their actions.

Fair enough. I think I heard somewhere that our judicial system is run along similar lines, but I'm not sure. There are some cases in the news now where the media has done a pretty sorry job in the fairness of their reporting, deciding the accused is guilty and doing their darndest to make sure everybody else thinks so, too.

Reaction Score
I'm normally a patient person but even I have limits. And if something around me becomes too high maintenance, I get rid of it. I'm a terror in my household when it's Closet Cleaning Day.

Do heads roll when you swing that thing....or just disappear?:)

edited to add the smiley....just in case....

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The Ignore button is a wonderful thing....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I'm normally a patient person but even I have limits. And if something around me becomes too high maintenance, I get rid of it. I'm a terror in my household when it's Closet Cleaning Day.

...Mom? (need angel smiley here)

Reaction Score
You're close to taking out the "Trash"; so to speak.

:)
Oh, great idea! Trash has been taken out. It was starting to smell bad, even to my now completely absent sense of smell.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I gotta tell you, I find I like the regular season much, much, better...
:cool:

I do too.... but at least in the off season I can do fun things like.... go on dates :)

Reaction Score
It's not about UNC signing the best players. It's about NUMBERS...IF nobody is forced to leave, they will have 19 players on their roster...What is so hard to understand about that? If they force 4 players to transfer, then hatchell is dirty. Maybe not in the eyes of the NCAA, technically, but dirty nonetheless.

Remind me what it is that another university is going to be pissed about? That they weren't able to get the top talent in the nation like UNC did? Are teams pissed at UCONN for having KML, Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck to the point that they won't schedule UCONN? All of the coaches should be pissed at Geno for continuing to recruit the top talent when he already has many of the best players in the nation?

This is becoming more and more laughable as the shock sets in. If this group of girls had all joined together to commit to UCONN on the same day everyone would be applauding them for having the common sense to want to play for Geno and go to a university where they knew that they could win a championship.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's not about UNC signing the best players. It's about NUMBERS...IF nobody is forced to leave, they will have 19 players on their roster...What is so hard to understand about that? If they force 4 players to transfer, then hatchell is dirty. Maybe not in the eyes of the NCAA, technically, but dirty nonetheless.
Apparently, he'd rather argue a straw man.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I like the idea of drawing straws to see who gets a scholarship and who doesn't.

If you had a son or daughter who played, or were a recruit yourself, you might not be so cavalier. Sticking with the one you brought to the dance is far different than going home with someone new.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I will add another consideration. If my child has made a commitment and received affirmation of the school of that commitment and I then begin making plans on the basis of that oral contract that leads to incurring expenses I consider suing the school for breech of oral contract and recovery of my expenses.

Barristers and thoughts. Others.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will add another consideration. If my child has made a commitment and received affirmation of the school of that commitment and I then begin making plans on the basis of that oral contract that leads to incurring expenses I consider suing the school for breech of oral contract and recovery of my expenses.

I can see something really ugly happening. Especially since there are 3-5 different families that will be effected.

Reaction Score

School: We're sorry this happened and of course would love to pick up all of your expenses, but our lawyers tell us those uncaring people at NCAA will not allow it!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Can a university agree to continue providing an academic scholarship if a player is cut from the team? Is it possible that the university can say "we will honor our commitment to provide you with a scholarship to attend our university but you will not be on the basketball team"? If the university were to do that would they be viewed as meeting their commitment since athletic scholarships are a year-by-year commitment?

Is this a solution that UNC may be considering? I assume that this has happened in the case of injuries.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Once again, oral commitments are non-binding on either party. If a family incurs some kind of large expense based on the announcement of a 17 year old that she wants to attend a certain college, I don't see any way the college is responsible for that expense. Even with the scholarship offer. It is only an offer; the school can decide not to honor that offer which sucks big time for the kid but, unfortunately, it's allowable. College football is rife with examples of schools pulling scholly offers years after a kid makes an oral commitment. It's nasty but it breaks no rules.

Iowa rescinds scholarship offer (offer rescinded January 28; football signing day began February 1)
Here's a men's basketball example
A football player loses his scholly offer because the school didn't like his Tweets

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand that, Nan, but presumably that would need to be made clear to the recruit at the time of the commitment being "received." NCAA rules are vastly different than legal possibilities. If a school specifically accepts my commitment without informing me that it is completely non-binding and by the way we may turnaround and yank it on you then I would think there may be some legal basis. That's why I asked for lawyers' thoughts. NCAA rules define what they will not interfere with not contract law.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand that, Nan, but presumably that would need to be made clear to the recruit at the time of the commitment being "received." NCAA rules are vastly different than legal possibilities. If a school specifically accepts my commitment without informing me that it is completely non-binding and by the way we may turnaround and yank it on you then I would think there may be some legal basis. That's why I asked for lawyers' thoughts. NCAA rules define what they will not interfere with not contract law.
Commitments aren't "received". They're nothing. They're teenagers telling someone they want to go to a school. The oral commitment has no weight, no meaning. I could make an oral commitment to UConn today - it would be as as meaningful as the announcement made by the kids over the weekend.

The school has no responsibility to honor that oral commitment, the same way the kid has no responsibility. If a girl committed to, say, UConn today then signed her LOI for Rutgers in November without telling anyone she was going to do so, there is no penalty. That's because an oral commitment is non-binding.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How's your vertical leap?
Not as good as it used to be but I'm a pest on defense.

Two-old-ladies-playing-basketball.jpg

JS

Reaction Score
Not as good as it used to be but I'm a pest on defense.
Then I hereby issue an equally nonbinding commitment um . . . promise . . . conditional intimation that there will . . . could possibly would be a scholarship for you if you should . . . we allow you to it should come to pass that you sign a National Letter of Intent.

Welcome to UConn Congratulations on your good taste in choosing approaching a school.

JS, for the Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog