What makes me wonder about all this | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What makes me wonder about all this

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The selling her soul hypothesis has an interesting, plausable, variation noted by vowelguy: That Sylvia did not orchestrate the events, that the entire matter was to paraphrase the title of a wonderful book; The Girl(s) Who Fell From The Sky.
If that reading is correct than the entire nature of the program at UNC may change with the student athletes participating in administering practices, substitution patterns, game strategy. Can you imagine?

On the matter of Sylvia's age...folks, wake up. Lots of seniors are returning to key positions or never retiring. I've been hearing that 70 is the new 55. With her style of coaching, she could go on forever.

Hatchell might not have orchestrate the events. I can buy that. But how she handles the newly found riches of talent and impacts young women's lives will tell a lot about her and how important winning is as opposed to being "ethical".

There will be players that she recruited, told them she wanted them, spent time with their families and now will be telling them that because someone can play better, you will have to leave. It's different than recruiting over someone and putting them on the bench.

We shall see how it shakes out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There will be players that she recruited, told them she wanted them, spent time with their families and now will be telling them that because someone can play better, you will have to leave. It's different than recruiting over someone and putting them on the bench.

Excellent point.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I've seen several references to Hatchell's age. She and Geno are not that far apart in age so I am wondering if some think that it is an issue for Hatchell when will it become an issue for Geno? I see no reason that Hatchell, or Geno, cannot coach another 10 years if they wants. Does anyone think that Pat would not have coached until 70 if not for her diagnosis?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've seen several references to Hatchell's age. She and Geno are not that far apart in age so I am wondering if some think that it is an issue for Hatchell when will it become an issue for Geno?
No, it's pure snark.

Reaction Score
I have mentioned Hatchell's age in the context of recruiting reputation.

Some of have argued that over-recruiting (if that is indeed what happened) is career suicide since it kills your reputation with future recruits.

I replied that's only relevant if you have a lot of years of recruiting left. When DeShields et al graduate Hatchell will be 65. It certainly is conceivable that this could be her last hurrah, and then she retires.

She certainly could stay longer. I was merely pointing out that any coach - indeed any employee really - cares less about the long-term ramifications of their actions as s/he approach retirement.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have mentioned Hatchell's age in the context of recruiting reputation.

Some of have argued that over-recruiting (if that is indeed what happened) is career suicide since it kills your reputation with future recruits.

I replied that's only relevant if you have a lot of years of recruiting left. When DeShields et al graduate Hatchell will be 65. It certainly is conceivable that this could be her last hurrah, and then she retires.

She certainly could stay longer. I was merely pointing out that any coach - indeed any employee really - cares less about the long-term ramifications of their actions as s/he approach retirement.
What you said was:

As game theory tells us, reputation only matters if there are future periods.
She's 60. There are not too many recruits in her future.
That implies she's nearing the end of her career. At least that was what I read.

Reaction Score
All the conjecture on liability is missing one big factor: The correspondence between the recruit and the school. If a player commits orally, I believe the school will respond in writing telling the player, thanks for your interest, but we can't make any commitment because the NCAA rules state, etc. Once an LOI is signed, in fact I'll bet the LOI includes wording that tells the recruit exactly what the legal ramifications are when the recruit signs, including what the school can do to get out of the contract.

So, there is no possibility of the player winning a lawsuit because they have already signed away their rights to sue. No school would leave themselves open to legal peril.

1. Schools rarely, if ever, respond in writing and say they can't make any commitment due to NCAA rules etc. That might happen once in ten thousand cases, but that would almost certainly chase the player away from their commitment immediately. If the school responds in writing it might be to simply talk about the NLI process and the contract that both parties will be signing. The great majority of schools will not walk away from a verbal commitment that they have accepted - other than for the type of reasons that are in the NLI (see below).

2. The NLI is a standard form used by all schools. It lists the reasons that the LOI may become null and void. The complete list:

A. Athlete is denied admission. (But the athlete has recourse if he/she clearly meets the school's normal admission standards for athletes but was rejected because it didn't want to honor the NLI.)
B. Athlete doesn't meet NCAA, conference, or school requirements.
C. Athlete does not enroll in any two or four-year school for at least one full academic year.
D. Athlete opts to serve on a church mission or in the U.S. Armed Forces.
E. The school discontinues the sport.
F. A major recruiting violation involving the athlete is discovered.

If a school voided a NLI for some reason other than the six listed above, they definitely could be sued.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I totally agree. Heck, she is basically my age and I'm no where near ready to retire. She seems to have plenty of energy.

I didnt realize there were so many senior citizens on this board.. perhaps I should change to a bigger font:p

Reaction Score
What you said was:

That implies she's nearing the end of her career. At least that was what I read.

She _is_ nearing the end of her career. Pretty much every 60 year old is.
When DD graduates, she'll have coached 41 years.
If you thought I was saying more, I apologize for the misunderstanding, because I wasnt.

Reaction Score
HuskyNan you put a mecifulend to the other DD thread, maybe it's time to put this one to bed as well. Just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom