Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
il_340x270.825553238_kju5.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good point. I normally just throw pennies away. Pretty useless. I wish we could be like Canada and just get rid of them altogether.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lets see...I am a lifetime Red Sox fan, but know enough about baseball to RESPECT the Yankees and their former great players.
UCONN women scholarship players are some of the best HS players in the nation, and when they put the UCONN jersey on , are representing all the greats that have come before them. Its easy to see who they are because they have their names and accomplishments on banners at Gampel .
With more effort, comparable freshman/sophomores from Maryland should not score 31 points on them in a quarter.

I love lunches
Brenda did not put her end of benchers in in the fourth quarter. Frees played the same 8 player rotation she had all game and Kaila Charles played all 40 minutes. The freshmen weren't playing inexperienced players, they were trying to play the #15 ranked team.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/111917.html

Some fans defy belief with their unrealistic expectations.

Reaction Score
Brenda did not put her end of benchers in in the fourth quarter. Frees played the same 8 player rotation she had all game and Kaila Charles played all 40 minutes. The freshmen weren't playing inexperienced players, they were trying to play the #15 ranked team.

My expectations mean very little...only the coach's really count
Gail Goestenkors made that point on last night telecast that Geno was so unhappy with his bench's effort against Maryland in the 4th quarter that he most likely would not play any of them, because he was sending a message to them.
Guess what, when Uconn was up 28 points, they SAT. Message sent, effort is not an option for anyone wearing the Connecticut uniform. regardless if they are freshman.

Reaction Score

The expectations are pretty high when you sign up to play at Uconn. (11 national titles, POY's galore, etc). The players want to be challenged in every facet of the game. Geno actively goes out and chooses you to play at Uconn. It's not the other way around. His teams don't beat these teams year in and year out only on talent. He takes the talent and challenges every individual to be the best teammate they can be within the Uconn system. Effort is what he hangs his hat on every year and that's how he beats down his opponents until they tap out. He'll get the effort and the field will wilt.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good point. I normally just throw pennies away. Pretty useless. I wish we could be like Canada and just get rid of them altogether.
send them to me, I've been collecting them for 30yrs now... paid a few bills with them. I pick them up off the ground, left on counters, tables, seat cushions etc. Toss them in a jar and after 6 months or so I roll up about $40.00 or more. stash them til I feel like taking them to the bank

Reaction Score
In order for a baseball player to play for the New York Yankees, the first thing they need you to do shave their beards and cut their hair. Why? Because it's a symbol that your joining an organization that is bigger than you; your personal style choices mean little. 27 time world Champions can do that.

Likewise, under Auriemma, after 11 national championships, UCONN womens basketball, is much larger than any one player. Just look at the banners and former players. The self sacrifice expected is not "no facial hair" but a commitment to team play and effort.
My son always asked me, "Why do watch the games until the end, they are up by 50 points?'
My answer was, even if there is a minute to go...the effort was the same as the first minute. Also, if a walk on entered the game, she was going to play the same style of Uconn basketball as her All American team mates. Diving for balls, not looking to jack a shot...even if she was playing for just a minute.

So, sorry this is long. I am very disappointed, in the new group of young players, and they are young, that the 4th quarters have not looked like anything I have seen from young women wearing Connecticut on their jerseys. I hope this changes , so I can watch an entire game again.
I watch them to the bitter end even in the AAC games. WHY? Because I enjoy seeing the development or lack thereof of the new guys or sophs. Some is thrilling to see how well some are doing and very disappointing for some. It is nice to get to see what Geno sees, in some players, in practice. The UCLA game--the last 4 minutes or so, some saw sloppy, I saw bench sitters and Z holding their own in scoring. The turnovers hurt them. But UCLA 's first team (about) taking on the end of Uconn's bench, about and our kids doing well.

Reaction Score
send them to me, I've been collecting them for 30yrs now... paid a few bills with them. I pick them up off the ground, left on counters, tables, seat cushions etc. Toss them in a jar and after 6 months or so I roll up about $40.00 or more. stash them til I feel like taking them to the bank

I too pick up pennies on the ground. It is more than nice to have a few in the pocket to pay those idiotic single cents requirement of some product or taxes. Then too--there is always someone who disrespects the penny and dumps a valuable silver or indian head. Old adage: Take care of your pennies and they'll take care of you. Apparently you proved the adage.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno not playing the bench at the end of the UCLA game was about sending a message. UCLA played its starters and was pressing right to the end. If UCLA had put in its reserves, Geno would have done the same.

Reaction Score
The fact the she called a timeout with 40 seconds left then pressed upset me. WTH was that about?

Reaction Score
I was thinking about commenting on what it means to play at Uconn, but then I thought, I’ve never played at Uconn. :/
An honest person. Like me, many pretend to know exactly how one of Geno's kids feel or reacts to the coaching or games. For me it's an ego trip to be inside this great team---where I have never been. Watching Geno and his kds for 30 years we get very inclusive. Geno is right this is Entertainment--and the kids appear to be actors--and all that goes with that.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno not playing the bench at the end of the UCLA game was about sending a message. UCLA played its starters and was pressing right to the end. If UCLA had put in its reserves, Geno would have done the same.
Did I just smoke the wrong stash? Wasn't the bench and Frosh and Z in during the last couple of minutes? No UCLA didn't clear her bench. \But the clearing of the bench is NOT demanded of the losing team--that's when the leading team shows sportsman ship--and Geno usually does it.

Reaction Score
Did I just smoke the wrong stash? Wasn't the bench and Frosh and Z in during the last couple of minutes? No UCLA didn't clear her bench. \But the clearing of the bench is NOT demanded of the losing team--that's when the leading team shows sportsman ship--and Geno usually does it.
If we had put the bench in UCLA could have come back and won the game. It wasn't like UConn won by 38 points. It was an 18 point victory on the road with the home team having regained momentum in the 4th quarter. In my mind it was the kind of game where you just try to hang on and preserve the win any way you can. What if Geno put in the freshmen once they went up 29 with 8 minutes to play and UCLA was able to cut the lead to say 10 or 12 points over the next 6 minutes?

Reaction Score
Liked your post up until you express your disappointment with the freshmen. Early in the season, just about every group of freshmen look somewhat lost, particularly in garbage time, when they’re out on the floor with all the other lost souls. This is particularly true this year when Geno is asking his team to play much faster, which tends to highlight mistakes.

Not much to be disappointed in with the frosh. I'm thrilled to see Megan Walker shooting to the stars and AEH showing her skills. What impressed me with the 2--(now realize they are new at it) played more than decent defense. Mykala and Gordon haven't played long enough for me to feel happy or disappointed. I need to see them for at least 2 minutes before I get paranoid/schizo/ etc. While some think Mykayla is the tops, I have great expectations for Gordon. Fact is I haven't seen enough of those 2.

Reaction Score
If we had put the bench in UCLA could have come back and won the game. It wasn't like UConn won by 38 points. It was an 18 point victory on the road with the home team having regained momentum in the 4th quarter. In my mind it was the kind of game where you just try to hang on and preserve the win any way you can. What if Geno put in the freshmen once they went up 29 with 8 minutes to play and UCLA was able to cut the lead to say 10 or 12 points over the next 6 minutes?
I'll have a look at You Tube and get back to you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did not say he should. I said IF. I was responding another post. I did not suggest that they should. Go away.
You are right you did not suggest it you stated it. BTW I'm not going anywhere!
[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I looked. The end of the game UCLA had 3 starters in. Uconn had 4.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Even with our starters in, UCLA played inspired in the last 5 minutes cutting a 29 point lead to 18 or so. Kudos to UCLA for playing hard to the end. I could have done without them pressing with under 30 seconds left, but if Geno HAD put in all the reserves, it would have been way more ugly than it was.

He has said in the past that he does not want to put players in situations in games where they are likely to fail. Putting in the reserves against UCLA's starters would have been a recipe for failure...

Reaction Score

Can not blame Brenda because Maryland only had 9 players dressed for the game!

Reaction Score
You may be right, but maybe UCLA was leaving their starters in because Uconn's were in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom