What it means to play at Uconn | The Boneyard

What it means to play at Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In order for a baseball player to play for the New York Yankees, the first thing they need you to do shave their beards and cut their hair. Why? Because it's a symbol that your joining an organization that is bigger than you; your personal style choices mean little. 27 time world Champions can do that.

Likewise, under Auriemma, after 11 national championships, UCONN womens basketball, is much larger than any one player. Just look at the banners and former players. The self sacrifice expected is not "no facial hair" but a commitment to team play and effort.
My son always asked me, "Why do watch the games until the end, they are up by 50 points?'
My answer was, even if there is a minute to go...the effort was the same as the first minute. Also, if a walk on entered the game, she was going to play the same style of Uconn basketball as her All American team mates. Diving for balls, not looking to jack a shot...even if she was playing for just a minute.

So, sorry this is long. I am very disappointed, in the new group of young players, and they are young, that the 4th quarters have not looked like anything I have seen from young women wearing Connecticut on their jerseys. I hope this changes , so I can watch an entire game again.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Liked your post up until you express your disappointment with the freshmen. Early in the season, just about every group of freshmen look somewhat lost, particularly in garbage time, when they’re out on the floor with all the other lost souls. This is particularly true this year when Geno is asking his team to play much faster, which tends to highlight mistakes.

Reaction Score
In order for a baseball player to play for the New York Yankees, the first thing they need you to do shave their beards and cut their hair. Why? Because it's a symbol that your joining an organization that is bigger than you; your personal style choices mean little. 27 time world Champions can do that.

Likewise, under Auriemma, after 11 national championships, UCONN womens basketball, is much larger than any one player. Just look at the banners and former players. The self sacrifice expected is not "no facial hair" but a commitment to team play and effort.
My son always asked me, "Why do watch the games until the end, they are up by 50 points?'
My answer was, even if there is a minute to go...the effort was the same as the first minute. Also, if a walk on entered the game, she was going to play the same style of Uconn basketball as her All American team mates. Diving for balls, not looking to jack a shot...even if she was playing for just a minute.

So, sorry this is long. I am very disappointed, in the new group of young players, and they are young, that the 4th quarters have not looked like anything I have seen from young women wearing Connecticut on their jerseys. I hope this changes , so I can watch an entire game again.
Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. One moment I will never forget is Pollys shot at the end of the 2016 National Championship Game! A great moment for her that will be forever etched in her mind! What a way for her to end her career the shot, the smile and the hug from her coach! I am so glad I saw that play because that is a Uconn Huskies memory!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hate the Yankees and their fans and everything they stand for. Hence, I have a beard. :cool:

I wonder about that, I've yet to see a UCONN player with facial hair.

I think you are completely out to lunch on this. The 4th quarters have been fairly typical of 4th quarters when UCONN is playing their deep bench. We always seem to forget how good the upper classmen, starting players are.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
a few years ago late in a game, Uconn's back court was Pulido and Lawlor, the game having been long decided. They were playing a 2-3 zone and I remember commenting on what looked like choreography as both players, in perfect defensive stances with arms up, shifted side to side as the ball was passed around the perimeter - it was absolutely text book spacing and shifting from two walk-on players.

It has been a long time since we have had so many freshman and bench players playing on the floor together for most or all of the 4th quarter. Usually Geno has kept a few starters out to help organize the younger players, but with this flurry of games he has been more stingy with starters' minutes.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe if Geno told the freshmen to just play the game the way thy know it and go by their instincts, they would play much better. However, they are trying to play to Uconn's system and therefore are not yet sure what to do and I believe are afraid of making mistakes. Their defense would probably be as weak but I believe their offense would be much better. How good did Collier, Gabby, Jefferson, or Saniya look after playing parts of their first three games? Some of you need to back off the way you are criticizing the freshmen and wait and see how they grow into their roles, imo.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Give the newbies a few, they'll come around, and they'll do so admirably.

Reaction Score

I wonder how you perform the first few days of a brand new job w/o any experience.

Reaction Score
I believe if Geno told the freshmen to just play the game the way thy know it and go by their instincts, they would play much better. However, they are trying to play to Uconn's system and therefore are not yet sure what to do and I believe are afraid of making mistakes. Their defense would probably be as weak but I believe their offense would be much better. How good did Collier, Gabby, Jefferson, or Saniya look after playing parts of their first three games? Some of you need to back off the way you are criticizing the freshmen and wait and see how they grow into their roles, imo.
If the freshmen played the game the way they know it, the 4th quarter score would be 45-42.

Reaction Score
Hate the Yankees and their fans and everything they stand for. Hence, I have a beard. :cool:

I wonder about that, I've yet to see a UCONN player with facial hair.

I think you are completely out to lunch on this. The 4th quarters have been fairly typical of 4th quarters when UCONN is playing their deep bench. We always seem to forget how good the upper classmen, starting players are.
Lets see...I am a lifetime Red Sox fan, but know enough about baseball to RESPECT the Yankees and their former great players.
UCONN women scholarship players are some of the best HS players in the nation, and when they put the UCONN jersey on , are representing all the greats that have come before them. Its easy to see who they are because they have their names and accomplishments on banners at Gampel .
With more effort, comparable freshman/sophomores from Maryland should not score 31 points on them in a quarter.

I love lunches

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
If the freshmen played the game the way they know it, the 4th quarter score would be 45-42.
This confirms my post. They would score points as well as give up points. Right now they are giving up points.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe if Geno told the freshmen to just play the game the way thy know it and go by their instincts, they would play much better. However, they are trying to play to Uconn's system and therefore are not yet sure what to do and I believe are afraid of making mistakes.
So Geno is the one that should change or compromise? Good luck with that. That UCONN system has worked out pretty well, if the Freshmen cannot learn the system they will not play, it's been that way for 33 years now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I believe if Geno told the freshmen to just play the game the way thy know it and go by their instincts, they would play much better. However, they are trying to play to Uconn's system and therefore are not yet sure what to do and I believe are afraid of making mistakes.
I understood what you were trying to say donald! Of course the freshmen would play better if they went out and did exactly what made them great in high school.

But we know (and Geno just pointed out in his last interview) that you have to teach the freshmen the right way from day 1, or else you run the risk of losing them to become uncoachable players.

Reaction Score
A lot of that late game sloppiness is with Bent and Irwin - sophs..... Bent seems as confused as Ekmark, Kerns, Glenney, etc. etc. etc....

Reaction Score
I believe if Geno told the freshmen to just play the game the way thy know it and go by their instincts, they would play much better. However, they are trying to play to Uconn's system and therefore are not yet sure what to do and I believe are afraid of making mistakes. Their defense would probably be as weak but I believe their offense would be much better.
I have long thought the same thing. It always seems to work out ok in the end.

Reaction Score
I wonder how you perform the first few days of a brand new job w/o any experience.
Effort is what I am looking for.....just like Pulido and Lawler..who were not State Gatorade Players of the year

Reaction Score

Good post but, geez, give the newbies a break! It is only game 3. And - I parallel the Yankees "clean shaven" rule with UConn not having their names on the uniforms and also no tattoos (that show!).........i.e. Gabby's black tape cover-up on her shoulder.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lets see...I am a lifetime Red Sox fan, but know enough about baseball to RESPECT the Yankees and their former great players.
UCONN women scholarship players are some of the best HS players in the nation, and when they put the UCONN jersey on , are representing all the greats that have come before them. Its easy to see who they are because they have their names and accomplishments on banners at Gampel .
With more effort, comparable freshman/sophomores from Maryland should not score 31 points on them in a quarter.

I love lunches
Except that they weren't playing comporable freshman/sophomores from Maryland. Charles of MD for example is on pace to be named AA, possibly by the end of this season.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
So Geno is the one that should change or compromise? Good luck with that. That UCONN system has worked out pretty well, if the Freshmen cannot learn the system they will not play, it's been that way for 33 years now.
Did I say anything about Geno changing OR his system not working? I was responding to posters who were complaining about the way the freshmen have been playing and what I think limits most all freshmen who come to Uconn. Your post is completely out of line and has nothing to do with my statement. Why would I think that Geno would change the best system in WCBB? It should have been

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did I say anything about Geno changing OR his system not working?
Yes you did. Do you ever read your own post?
I believe if Geno told the freshmen to just play the game the way they know it and go by their instincts, they would play much better.
UCONN players play the UCONN way,players that want to play a different way including thier own go to TN or MD.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Yes you did. Do you ever read your own post?

UCONN players play the UCONN way,players that want to play a different way including thier own go to TN or MD.
I did not say he should. I said IF. I was responding another post. I did not suggest that they should. Go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom