What is the end game in a P2 world? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

What is the end game in a P2 world?

Reaction Score
UNC will not end up in the B1G unless it's a brokered deal that has NCSU going to the SEC

...And when the SEC tells NC State to take a hike--because what the hell does the SEC care what the NC Board of Governors wants?--then the bluff will be called and UNC will be allowed to go to the B1G and collect the money.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So you don't watch Michigan/Penn State (or any equivalent big time game) because UConn isn't in the mix?

Are you aware that UConn plays Division 1 basketball and FBS football? They actually won a National Championship last year. It was pretty cool.

Reaction Score
...And when the SEC tells NC State to take a hike--because what the hell does the SEC care what the NC Board of Governors wants?--then the bluff will be called and UNC will be allowed to go to the B1G and collect the money.
Don't think it's a bluff, nor is this meant to tie them together for ever. IMO this is a way to put a process in place to make sure the State is in the loop without actually making a binding law thru the legislature. But make no mistake about it, none of the power brokers in Chapel Hill are interested in B1G unless that's the only option

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is where I disagree with you about pay-per-view or pay-per-team type streaming. How many of those top 100 games on the list did you watch as a UConn fan (and don't say you did because UConn was somehow in the mix)? I watched a bunch of them because I am a college football fan. Would I pay-per-view the Penn State / Michigan game or subscribe to either team's service? No. I probably would not even pay-per-view the CFP Championship. But if it was on - either via linear TV or via some kind of package I was paying for - like YouTubeTV, I will flip it on. I don't think streaming is going to be pay for your team and that is it. I agree with you things will look very different, but I am not sold that it is all or none.

If UConn was not Division 1 in football and basketball, I don't think I would watch college sports. I would definitely not watch college sports if there were only two conferences, the Big 10 and SEC. Maybe I am in the minority on this, and all those people that didn't go to Big 10 or SEC schools, and the friends and family of those that went to those non-Big 10/SEC schools, will keep watching college sports even if their schools were cut out of competition. Or maybe those people will decide they don't want to watch a game between two colleges they could care less about and will just watch pro sports.

I wish there was a way for me to bet on this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Maggy Carlyle, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Detroit Lions

With college football on the cusp of moving to an employment model, and conference realignment further consolidating media broadcast rights, there is no better time for the NFL to take an ownership stake in its primary development league. Acquiring the CFP, the NFL will be best positioned to launch a College Football League, inviting the current top-tier FBS schools who have the resources and make the investment to compete nationally. The NFL can use the CFP and CFL to directly develop coaches, refs and players; test out new rules; improve scheduling for the NFL and CFL; extend its international reach; and grow the game of football.

It is just her opinion...but it is sneakily close to what some of us have been suspecting....

Anything is possible, but the NFL doesn't make dumb bets or overpay, so why would they make what would be a very expensive investment in a handful of colleges when they could just expand their own league or spin up a minor league? Either of which would put those colleges out of the sports business, grow their own revenue, and cost the NFL a lot less to do?

Reaction Score
Are you aware that UConn plays Division 1 basketball and FBS football? They actually won a National Championship last year. It was pretty cool.
I'm speaking specifically about football since basketball doesn't matter in all of this.

Reaction Score
If UConn was not Division 1 in football and basketball, I don't think I would watch college sports. I would definitely not watch college sports if there were only two conferences, the Big 10 and SEC. Maybe I am in the minority on this, and all those people that didn't go to Big 10 or SEC schools, and the friends and family of those that went to those non-Big 10/SEC schools, will keep watching college sports even if their schools were cut out of competition. Or maybe those people will decide they don't want to watch a game between two colleges they could care less about and will just watch pro sports.

You're in the minority.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're in the minority.

You are anti-basketball, so are you even a UConn fan? Or do you just like the message board?

What the pro P2 posters like you are saying is that despite a minor league never having been successful anywhere in the world, turning college sports into a pro minor league is going to make it MORE popular. Sure. Run with that and see where it gets you.

Reaction Score
Anything is possible, but the NFL doesn't make dumb bets or overpay, so why would they make what would be a very expensive investment in a handful of colleges when they could just expand their own league or spin up a minor league? Either of which would put those colleges out of the sports business, grow their own revenue, and cost the NFL a lot less to do?

An actual Senior VP of an NFL team just said why...

Reaction Score
We already have a pro minor league going on..don't kid yourself. The NIL and Portal has created the pro league...these athletes at the bigger brands are making decent money for a 19 year old...it isn't scholar athlete anymore.

When athletes can get paid $1 million plus to play college ball...as Saban once said, my QB made a million before his first snap in college. One QB gets $4 million...several $2 million.

But even a good O lineman at a big brand can get paid..like Jordan Seaton

'Seaton reportedly turned down a "multi-million" dollar offer from Tennessee before heading to Colorado, sources told BuffsBeat. WBIR TV also reported last week that IMG Academy's offensive lineman turned down a significant offer with a "seven-figure" price tag.'

Seaton had plenty of offers, and a player of his caliber receiving a multi-million dollar NIL offer is the norm in today's industry.

Reaction Score
You are anti-basketball, so are you even a UConn fan? Or do you just like the message board?

What the pro P2 posters like you are saying is that despite a minor league never having been successful anywhere in the world, turning college sports into a pro minor league is going to make it MORE popular. Sure. Run with that and see where it gets you.
"Anti-basketball" who's had mbb season tickets for decades. Keep flailing. I'll be watching UConn bb and fb regardless of what the P2 does, but I guess we can't count on your support.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Start a poll.

Reaction Score
NIL is just getting started. And football is the primary beneficiary as of now. Eventually, this will trickle down to basketball if it hasn't already. I haven't heard any stories of NIL collectives spending boatloads of cash on basketball......yet, but I'm sure it's coming. Lots of such stories in football.

Reaction Score
Two of LSU’s women’s BB team have deals of $1 million and change.

Reaction Score

This is annoying. Yes, we suck at football right now. We suck mostly because we lost our spot in a power conference. We were doing fine against the Big Ten and SEC when we were in the Big East. Your status as an SEC school makes you relatively good on its own. Several SEC football programs would burn to the ground without that conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
UConn was doing relatively "good". But also the truth is “good “ is really relative. The Huskies, in FBS, never had a 10 win season, never finished Final AP Top 25.

Since 2001...UConn has not beaten a Big 12 team with a winning season record, a CUSA team with a winning season record, a Big 10 team with a winning season record, a MWC team, and in 23 games with the ACC, has not beaten a team in the ACC with a winning season record. UConn did beat 7-6 South Carolina in the SEC.

Not being ugly, but them are the facts.

Everyone has a different definition of good...I can see a fan of some SEC teams defining "good" a little differently.

Reaction Score
UConn was doing relatively "good". But also the truth is “good “ is really relative. The Huskies, in FBS, never had a 10 win season, never finished Final AP Top 25.

Since 2001...UConn has not beaten a Big 12 team with a winning season record, a CUSA team with a winning season record, a Big 10 team with a winning season record, a MWC team, and in 23 games with the ACC, has not beaten a team in the ACC with a winning season record. UConn did beat 7-6 South Carolina in the SEC.

Everyone has a different definition of good...I can see a fan of some SEC teams defining "good" a little differently.
Never? UConn only made the jump in 2000 and won the Big East (BCS Conference) in 2010. What, CUSA is a better barometer than the Big East? If the Big East didn't implode there is no telling what trajectory UConn would have taken. UConn did more with less, much more than many current P programs, and then got screwed over by CR. Didn't do this or that? While banished to the AAC gulag? Please. And I'm not even fact checking the veracity of your statements. Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here.

Reaction Score
Please do fact check. I obviously like to research things. And it is what it is. Despite the “if this didn’t happen or that would have happened “, as the man once said, “ you are what your record says you are”.

You might disagree with what some define as "good"...but the facts posted don't change...and, yeah, things could have gone differently.

Scroll down linked page to review each game by conference and the opponent's record..

Reaction Score
Please do fact check. I obviously like to research things. And it is what it is. Despite the “if this didn’t happen or that would have happened “, as the man once said, “ you are what your record says you are”.

You might disagree with what some define as "good"...but the facts posted don't change...and, yeah, things could have gone differently.

Scroll down linked page to review each game by conference and the opponent's record..

here were a few 5-7 teams in there which is good enough for me because had those teams beaten UConn, they would have had winning or even records. We did beat Fresno State in 2022 so I don't know why that's not showing in your link. That site is suspect!

Some notable wins going back to 2010:
Fresno State (10-4)
Liberty (8-5)
Temple (7-6)
Houston (13-1)
UCF (9-4)
Rutgers (6-7)
Pitt (6-7)
Louisville (11-2)
USF (5-7)
Cuse (5-7)
Rutgers (9-4)
WVU (9-4)
Pitt (8-5)
Cuse (8-5)
USF (8-5)

Reaction Score

No, numbers(W's) don't lie. However, only a person with no vision couldn't see what was happening in Storrs.

UConn FB history ended in some ways with the collapse of the BE, and the move to the AAC(which was ostensibly the remnants of the BE). Prior to that, a "newbie" was progressing nicely towards being a competitive FBS program. We don't have to rehash the coulda shoulda wouldas, but with Edsalls jump to his dream job and the ensuing passover by the ACC, it left a mountain to climb.

The current Administration is fighting valiantly, but for all intents and purposes, Louisville to the ACC was the "day the music died". Can we ever get on a footing that would allow us to compete for a playoff spot and a shot at a National Championship? Maybe not, but the alternative is to give up. Not happening.

Reaction Score
NIL is just getting started. And football is the primary beneficiary as of now. Eventually, this will trickle down to basketball if it hasn't already. I haven't heard any stories of NIL collectives spending boatloads of cash on basketball......yet, but I'm sure it's coming. Lots of such stories in football.
I am surprised NIL hasn't taken basketball by storm first. You only have to buy a couple players to turn your program into a sweet 16 club, much easier and cheaper than payroll for football. Even kids who are toying with the idea of going pro might be convinced to spend a year in college if the boosters open their wallets. The Big East in particular because the Catholics are in urban areas and don't have to worry about NIL for football. Georgetown should easily be able to outspend Wake Forest for hoops. @nelsonmuntz has been touting the Big East - NIL opportunity for a while now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom