What is the end game in a P2 world? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

What is the end game in a P2 world?

Reaction Score
Casual sports fans usually don’t buy college gear. Some, I guess, may adopt a team and think they are family. OK with me. But don’t wear a USMC shirt if you ain’t.

Reaction Score
Casual sports fans usually don’t buy college gear. Some, I guess, may adopt a team and think they are family. OK with me. But don’t wear a USMC shirt if you ain’t.
Baloney. Every Cracker Barrel, Target, and Walmart sells sports apparel for the local college and/ or dominant state university, not of the same quality as the stuff you'd find at a college bookstore, but good enough for t-shirt fans. Do you think those outlets sell only to alumni? As regards your second assertion, I was in the USMC back in the 1960s and don't own or wear a USMC shirt, sport a USMC license plate or decal or bumper sticker. I do, however, regularly wear the khaki web belt with distinctive brass buckle because it's just a good lightweight belt for everyday use. If I were to see someone else wearing a USMC shirt, how would I know whether or not they served, and why should I even care? The Corps isn't like Hell's Angels.

Reaction Score
I do care...and have never worn a USMC shirt (I did wear my field jacket to college).

Parris Island for me was also mid 60's..in 1965...

A lifetime ago...I see some old codgers about wearing their veteran ball caps....that's not for you...and not for me...but I never pass a guy in a USMC hat without nodding and saying "Semper Fi"...it is important to them., I believe. And I also believe that it is disrespectful to those who served and died to pretend.

My dad was on the ground at St. Mere Eglise on D Day. He never talked much about it, but went to reunions, and wore his cap...it was important to him.

But heck, I don't wear gear from my alma mater or any school....I view myself as a casual fan...I watch various college and pro sports teams but can't imagine wearing their gear. I do get "T shirt fans"...in the south, it may be a cultural, tribal thing, LOL.

Reaction Score
And, it is a true fact that two of my ancestors in the 1800's were named "Alabama" as middle names.

The old tale was that when born in Alabama, your birth certificate denoted..."Auburn" or "Alabama".

My uncle, my cousins, my sister's boy, and my brother went to Auburn...and they all wear or wore gear...even had a succession of sailboats named War Eagle.

I do believe that football identification was once a tribal thing down south...on fall Saturdays, caravans would travel across the south flying their colors.

Reaction Score
I do care...and have never worn a USMC shirt (I did wear my field jacket to college).

A lifetime ago...I see some old codgers about wearing their veteran ball caps....that's not for you...and not for me...but I never pass a guy in a USMC hat without nodding and saying "Semper Fi"...it is important to them., I believe. And I also believe that it is disrespectful to those who served and died to pretend.

My dad was on the ground at St. Mere Eglise on D Day. He never talked much about it, but went to reunions, and wore his cap...it was important to him.

But heck, I don't wear gear from my alma mater or any school....I view myself as a casual fan...I watch various college and pro sports teams but can't imagine wearing their gear. I do get "T shirt fans"...in the south, it may be a cultural, tribal thing, LOL.
Both my grandparents served in WWll and gifted me clothing with navy and army insignia or the names of their respective ship and division. My stepfather was a marine. I didn't serve, but I proudly wore the items from my grandfathers when I was younger. Would it really bother you if some kid is wearing a family member's hat or shirt? Cause that may be what you're seeing.

Reaction Score
Both my grandparents served in WWll and gifted me clothing with navy and army insignia or the names of their respective ship and division. My stepfather was a marine. I didn't serve, but I proudly wore the items from my grandfathers when I was younger. Would it really bother you if some kid is wearing a family member's hat or shirt? Cause that may be what you're seeing.

It doesn't matter if it bothers him or not. They sell tee shirts in stores, they don't card you to make sure that your served. It's wrong if you are trying to pass yourself off as something you are not, otherwise your it's nobody's business if you want to wear a shirt.

Reaction Score

I didn't know it was appropriate for us civilians to say Semper Fi to marines. I thought that was reserved for Marines among Marines. Thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
I didn't know it was appropriate for us civilians to say Semper Fi to marines. I thought that was reserved for Marines among Marines. Thanks f, or the info.

Don't play so cute...I said that I say Semper FI...and yes, it is a Marine to Marine greeting...and once a Marine, always a Marine.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if it bothers him or not. They sell tee shirts in stores, they don't card you to make sure that your served. It's wrong if you are trying to pass yourself off as something you are not, otherwise your it's nobody's business if you want to wear a shirt.
I agree one person's opinion doesn't matter, so I think you missed my point. I'm a teacher, and I've found a point is better made by asking a question that forces introspection than by simply telling someone (s)he is wrong, and forcefully so. People double down.

I don't know a single person that would think it's okay to impersonate a service member, so my example was meant to highlight that there are many possible reasons someone might wear such clothing, and to make assumptions as to a wearer's motivation, and even moreso assume the worst motivation of impersonating, is not sensible.

Reaction Score
tutorial..for Kolumbo
Semper Fidelis is used as a greeting, a motivation, and an expression that unites past and present Marines. During war or peacetime, Semper Fidelis speaks volumes. It represents tradition and responsibility—beginning the moment a young man or woman commits to earning the title of U.S. Marine. See the stories below to witness Semper Fidelis in action.

Reaction Score
Don't play so cute...I said that I say Semper FI...and yes, it is a Marine to Marine greeting...and once a Marine, always a Marine.
Sorry, I scanned through your message and I was surprised and I apparently misunderstood. I personally wouldn't say it even if it were OK. I did google it and found various comments but I'll just leave it at, thanks for your service.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One of the reasons the major athletic programs want to limit competition is to drive down labor costs. Fewer schools means less competition for players, especially the non-superstars. This matters a lot in an NIL world. Also, less competition makes it easier to collude informally on price for those players.

Many anti-trust cases happen because a few incumbents in a market collude to reduce capacity in that market. This leads to higher prices and lower costs for the colluders. It also often leads to the Justice Department showing up. Many schools have started suing each other, and the players are suing the schools, and will have a pretty good case against a P2 if the result is dozens of schools drop football or cutback scholarships. And wait until the networks get involved in the litigation. The Warner/ESPN/Fox alliance is collusion.

College sports could have gone a lot of different ways and most of them would have resulted in piles of money for everyone. Instead, a handful of men decided to try to own the sports, and they will destroy them as a result.

Reaction Score
If you have seen the movie Highlander you know the answer to the question asked in the thread title: there can be only one!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

I totally agree with this. I got out in 1999 and don't wear any gear (I got an Army PT shirt from one of my kids for Christmas that I wear sometimes). I see old guys walking around with veteran caps and shirts and wonder why they need the attention.

Reaction Score
I totally agree with this. I got out in 1999 and don't wear any gear (I got an Army PT shirt from one of my kids for Christmas that I wear sometimes). I see old guys walking around with veteran caps and shirts and wonder why they need the attention.
Of all the things to wonder when you see an old guy walking around with a veteran cap "wonder why they need the attention" is pretty low on the wondering list. Next time wonder "hope he has had a good life".
Was in Loews a while ago and saw an old guy with his wife walking in plant section and he had an Army veteran hat on. I normally mind my own business but for some reason stepped up to him and mentioned I had been in Army. He didn't look that old (thought maybe Korean war/Vietnam) but he noted had been in 101st Airborne in World War II and was 94 years old, I had also been in 101st in Vietnam and we talked a little, shook hands and then went our own way. He seemed to stand a little taller when he walked away, I know I did as I left.

Reaction Score
Here is a good example of an end-game. Athlon Sports ranked the top 15 B1G conference games for 2024. The PAC-4 are well represented on this list. Any future add to the B1G (or SEC) will also represent top matchups like this.......

1. Michigan @ Ohio State (Nov 30)
2. Ohio State @ Oregon (Oct 2)
3. Oregon @ Michigan (Nov 2)
4. Ohio State @ Penn State (Nov 2)
5. USC @ Michigan (Sept 21)
6. Michigan @ Washington (Oct 5)
7. Penn State @ USC (Oct 12)
8. Washington @ Oregon (Nov 30)
9. USC @ UCLA (Nov 23)
10. Oregon @ Wisconsin (Nov 16)
11. Penn State @ Wisconsin (Oct 26)
12. Wisconsin @ Iowa (Nov 2)
13. Wisconsin @ USC (Sept 28)
14. Nebraska @ USC (Nov 16)
15. Nebraska @ Iowa (Nov 29)

Reaction Score
Here's one prediction: UConn goes into ACC within 1 to 3 years. 12 years from now we are asked to join AAU and have a top 30 football program and remain powerhouses in mens and womens basketball. B10 asks us to join.

Reaction Score
KoolHere's one prediction: UConn goes into ACC within 1 to 3 years. 12 years from now we are asked to join AAU and have a top 30 football program and remain powerhouses in mens and womens basketball. B10 asks us to join.
Kool Aid 90S GIF

Reaction Score
Of all the things to wonder when you see an old guy walking around with a veteran cap "wonder why they need the attention" is pretty low on the wondering list. Next time wonder "hope he has had a good life".
Was in Loews a while ago and saw an old guy with his wife walking in plant section and he had an Army veteran hat on. I normally mind my own business but for some reason stepped up to him and mentioned I had been in Army. He didn't look that old (thought maybe Korean war/Vietnam) but he noted had been in 101st Airborne in World War II and was 94 years old, I had also been in 101st in Vietnam and we talked a little, shook hands and then went our own way. He seemed to stand a little taller when he walked away, I know I did as I left.
Thanks for sharing. Husky68 thank you for your service. The 101st means a lot to all Americans.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Your team will still play sports, it will be just at a different level. UConn will most likely be playing BC and Syracuse, and Temple, and UMass. All natural rivals, plus all the Big East bball schools. Other than a different designation not much will change. Yeah, in the basketball tournament there won’t be the ”Power schools” that play major football. But I think we would get use to it after a few years. It will be nice, no more arms race to worry about.
That's a AAA baseball model, of sorts and it will collapse under it's own weight (particularly at the college level), once the most important factor is considered: Money.

No one cares if the WooSox win the International League (just like no one cares if the Yard goats win the Eastern League). They are only on NESN during Red Sox off days and that is only because they are affiliated with the Major League club, who owns the network.

The most compelling reason to go is because a ticket to Polar Field cost $0.10 or less on the dollar compared to Fenway. There is a reason AA and AAA "stadiums" seat 1/4-1/3 of their Major League counterparts.

Reaction Score
Swarbrick's opinions, or spin

Swarbrick: "My crystal ball is cloudier than it's ever been. That's saying something. I don't see a lot of momentum towards further realignment right now. There are some schools that, if they made a move, might change that. But frankly, we're probably first among that, but we're not likely to.

"I don't see the catalyst right now. The Big Ten and SEC have the assets they need to position themselves for their next media negotiation. I understand the ACC has disgruntled members, but I'm not sure there are better options for them. The ACC's legal position is a very strong one."

Reaction Score

Swarbrick: "My crystal ball is cloudier than it's ever been. That's saying something. I don't see a lot of momentum towards further realignment right now. There are some schools that, if they made a move, might change that. But frankly, we're probably first among that, but we're not likely to.

"I don't see the catalyst right now. The Big Ten and SEC have the assets they need to position themselves for their next media negotiation. I understand the ACC has disgruntled members, but I'm not sure there are better options for them. The ACC's legal position is a very strong one."

And ND has vested interest in the ACC not blowing up. Too bad for you ND. :D

Reaction Score

NO national championships in football. How about that Terry D? The Edsall of college sports

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom