What is it going to take to beat UCONN this season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is it going to take to beat UCONN this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Call me simple minded, but the way to beat UConn is to avoid the things that UConn did to its opponents in winning the last four trophies:

1) Hit the boards. Stewie and Tuck obviously got a lot of boards, but not as obvious was that they got a ton of highly contested or "difficult" rebounds. The 2016 Huskies won't be as effective on the glass, methinks.

2) Make shots. You can't shoot 30% and beat a bad team, let alone UConn.

3) Drive the ball to the rim. Stanford beat UConn (anyone remember?) because nobody could or would step up and stop the ball.

4) Beat UConn by getting to every loose ball first. Mo was great at this.

5) Don't miss free throws. A typical Geno team doesn't foul much anyway, but you can't give back points by shooting FT's badly.

6) Guard the passes out of the post or low block. This one is critical. Until Natalie becomes a reliable scorer in the post, and that might occur sooner than later, our posts will have to decline some shots and (a la Stef) get the ball back out to the arc cleanly.

Simple, right?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Good point. I agree with Coco here... UConn generally prefers to play the passing lanes aggressively and stop the guards from getting the ball to the post rather than leave someone open and then double a post player... He usually makes the post players defend 1 on 1 focusing on pushing the player out of their preferred spots. It's a much smarter approach than doubling in a lot of instances. Their defense is predicated on making everyone uncomfortable.

Think about it this way. Alaina Coates for example shoots a crazy high FG percentage right because she just gets lay ups & putbacks. Almost every team she played against tried to double and triple team her after the catch. Why? It makes no sense once she has the ball in most instances she has already done the work to get position and she is big and strong enough to either make the layup or drawn the foul. Even though she isn't a good free throw shooter the plan works against you in that you are racking up fouls. You are better off having the post guarding her just purely focus on getting her off the block especially the right block since it's her fave. She will not shoot a jumper, she will not drive by you, she rarely sets screens, and she isn't a great passer. Outside of that right block she's basically becomes a statue. So if you are going to allow her to get the ball or wait to start playing defense on her after she gets it you might as well give her the 2 points and save yourself the foul.

Instead what did you see in SEC play... double team after double team. It's just silly. You have to do the hard work before she gets the ball not after... let a guard give the opposing player trying to make the entry pass hell and you move the dominant post out of their favorite area.
I like your post but for a few observations. Geno could afford to aggressively overplay the passing lanes for the last four years because his backup was that ROY in the post to erase mistakes. Also playing an aggressive switching offense which most of his opponents hadn't seen all year while trusting your teams conditioning worked to his advantage. Coates is a fine example of a young lady that hasn't bothered to progress her game: work on your game from 5' out, how to set a proper pick, work on movement, work on your foul shots. Frankly whenever I'd see her play she struck me as a lazy player. I've previously railed against teams in the SEC that play double posts and/or "pound the paint relentlessly" basketball as antiquated. I've also said it stunts the growth of forwards who depend on guards to do all the work while they stand around, in poor position I might add, with their hand up.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Call me simple minded, but the way to beat UConn is to avoid the things that UConn did to its opponents in winning the last four trophies:

1) Hit the boards. Stewie and Tuck obviously got a lot of boards, but not as obvious was that they got a ton of highly contested or "difficult" rebounds. The 2016 Huskies won't be as effective on the glass, methinks.

3) Drive the ball to the rim. Stanford beat UConn (anyone remember?) because nobody could or would step up and stop the ball.

5) Don't miss free throws. A typical Geno team doesn't foul much anyway, but you can't give back points by shooting FT's badly.

6) Guard the passes out of the post or low block. This one is critical. Until Natalie becomes a reliable scorer in the post, and that might occur sooner than later, our posts will have to decline some shots and (a la Stef) get the ball back out to the arc cleanly.

Simple, right?
Things some of the better teams they'll face this year can do, and do well.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I like your post but for a few observations. Geno could afford to aggressively overplay the passing lanes for the last four years because his backup was that ROY in the post to erase mistakes. Also playing an aggressive switching offense which most of his opponents hadn't seen all year while trusting your teams conditioning worked to his advantage. Coates is a fine example of a young lady that hasn't bothered to progress her game: work on your game from 5' out, how to set a proper pick, work on movement, work on your foul shots. Frankly whenever I'd see her play she struck me as a lazy player. I've previously railed against teams in the SEC that play double posts and/or "pound the paint relentlessly" basketball as antiquated. I've also said it stunts the growth of forwards who depend on guards to do all the work while they stand around, in poor position I might add, with their hand up.

That is where we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think they overplayed the passing lanes at all... I think they just actually play them unlike so many other teams that think they are playing them but actually are not. In fact UConn played more zone last year than I have ever seen them play. I wager it was largely in part to prepare the returning players for instances this year where they will need to play zone. The first game I saw them play zone I though man Geno is one smart guy. He admits he isn't great at teaching it so he prepares his team & staff a year in advance.

Even if you are in man to man if you get beat going to the basket in a half court set there should be a help defender because most teams in WCBB don't have 5 scorers on the floor at the same time... some will be able to help 95% of the time. I don't anticipate their defense to be any less aggressive. It may look different in terms of personnel and there may be more charges taken and less blocks but the intricacies that make their defense so good will be the same. Some of them are so good and detailed I smile when I see it. I'll give you a clue. Go watch a replay of a team we played that was suppose to be very good on defense and look at the position of their feet.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Guard play and defense is the key for UConn and its opponents.

Outside of ND, Maryland and maybe Baylor - teams do not have guards that pass the ball. They dribble around the top of the key looking for a lane to drive or a lane to pass. This plays into UConn's defense and makes like easier.

Any team UConn plays does not have 5 players that are capable of scoring double digit every night. The vast majority of teams have 2 scorers, maybe three. Defensive help and controlling the passing lanes will be key for UConn.

As to Natalie, we really do not know what we are going to see and neither does anyone else. Well maybe Geno and CD do. If she can hold her own defensively, rebound the ball and score between 8 to 10 points per game we will be fine in the post.

Reaction Score
A common opinion is that UCONN WBB will lose multiple regular season games this year.
What is it going to take to beat UCONN?
1) Stolen from Doris Burke: Excellent guard play.
2) Away game for UCONN
3) Excellent 3 Point Shooting
4) Excellent coaching
What else?
A subset of these is the conditioning of the competition. Living in Texas now and watched UConn physically wear down some talented but out of shape (at least compared to UConn's) guards last year at SMU. Saw the same thing on the many TV games I watched. By the 3rd Q, the competition was gassed. While I expect that there will be 3-4 teams with the same or better talent, few can keep up with this team physically. Having watched the Huskies for many years, Geno's conditioning always is good for 3-5 points in a tight game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A subset of these is the conditioning of the competition. Living in Texas now and watched UConn physically wear down some talented but out of shape (at least compared to UConn's) guards last year at SMU. Saw the same thing on the many TV games I watched. By the 3rd Q, the competition was gassed. While I expect that there will be 3-4 teams with the same or better talent, few can keep up with this team physically. Having watched the Huskies for many years, Geno's conditioning always is good for 3-5 points in a tight game.
Excellent point. At the 6:23 point of the last South Carolina game, SC had to call a time out because they were gassed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What will it take? Being more seasoned and deeper than this incarnation of the uconn Huskies. The wrath of God also wouldn't help our cause...

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I can't think of a single dominant big that Geno has ever doubled let alone tripled at UCONN or USA basketball. Can you?
Ruth Riley, Sylvia Fowles, Michelle Snow are just a few bigs I have seen him Double teamed selectively over the years, he has also employed the same tactics to some elite guards as well in the form of traps to make other players handle the ball and take shots...

JordyG

Reaction Score
That is where we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think they overplayed the passing lanes at all... I think they just actually play them unlike so many other teams that think they are playing them but actually are not. In fact UConn played more zone last year than I have ever seen them play. I wager it was largely in part to prepare the returning players for instances this year where they will need to play zone. The first game I saw them play zone I though man Geno is one smart guy. He admits he isn't great at teaching it so he prepares his team & staff a year in advance.

Even if you are in man to man if you get beat going to the basket in a half court set there should be a help defender because most teams in WCBB don't have 5 scorers on the floor at the same time... some will be able to help 95% of the time. I don't anticipate their defense to be any less aggressive. It may look different in terms of personnel and there may be more charges taken and less blocks but the intricacies that make their defense so good will be the same. Some of them are so good and detailed I smile when I see it. I'll give you a clue. Go watch a replay of a team we played that was suppose to be very good on defense and look at the position of their feet.
For the most part UConn played man to man. They would play zone maybe 30% of the time after made baskets, always M2M after misses.
But the UConn didn't merely play man, they played a switching man defense. Most teams in WCBB don't because it causes match up problems. UConn's size and versatility with Tuck last year allowed them to do this. More, I thought they overplayed a lot in the half court. Often daring teams to dribble inside knowing they had Stewie as an eraser. The year before as well with Stokes. When playing a zone they alternated between a 2/3 and a box and one depending on whether the other team, usually a guard, had a hot hand. or if they wanted to limit a players looks. Geno mainly used zone to switch things up, confuse the players, or to give the other coach something to think about.

Yeah, M2M means you're going to get beat. Last year and every year however, UConn's rotations are spot on and timely. The problem this year is going to be mismatches. Stewie could cover on the perimeter and inside. Tuck as well. Uconn could switch with size. This year KLS will have to step up here. So will Collier. Last year however when Stewie sat Tuck moved over. That luxury doesn't exist this year which amplifies mismatch problems.

Reaction Score
Two important ways to try to defeat UCONN are:
1. Run an offense similar to UCONN where there are no set plays but players read and react and adjust accordingly! ND does this somewhat and that is one reason ND has had some success vs UCONN!
Geno is a genius at 1/2 time adjusting to the plays the opponents are running successfully!
2. On defense opponents must be able to get ALL players to sell out for ALL 40 minutes! You have to attack defensively for the whole game and for whatever reason no-one has or is incapable of doing that!
And also teams are going to have to OUTWORK THE HUSKIES, in practice and in games and so far no-one has shown they can do that!

Reaction Score

Simple, right?

Great Points, Simple Minded.... :p

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ruth Riley, Sylvia Fowles, Michelle Snow are just a few bigs I have seen him Double teamed selectively over the years, he has also employed the same tactics to some elite guards as well in the form of traps to make other players handle the ball and take shots...
For bigs I wouldn't say double team so much as rotate help in the paint. If the player moved from the lane that help would fall off. With guards traps are usually situational, such as in corners or presses. Usually Geno likes to face guard or use the box and one to limit a guards looks.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Right now we dont know because we havent seen UConn play in a real game. @ FL St and Baylor at home will be 2 tuff games. The difference this season is opponents think they can beat UConn. UConn has alot of talent it remains to be seen how they play together and who they look for when they need a basket.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Who?

JK, but didn't she predict them to be in the final last year also?

Reaction Score
Nell Fortner said South Carolina will beat Uconn.
Since Gampel opened about 27 years ago. Uconn Womens basketball has lost 18 games total. That averages out to .67 games a year. Good Luck South Carolina! You will need it!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nell Fortner said South Carolina will beat Uconn.

Fortner will not be the last to predict a UConn defeat. Predictions mean nothing.

Play it on the court Nell. SC at Gampel. My money is on UConn all the way!

Reaction Score
Our offense will be very good this year and while it may not be quite as good as last year , it should be good enough to contend with any team we play. However, IMO , the defense will not be nearly as strong as last year and will be the biggest factor in the gap closing between UCONN and other top 10 teams. I'm not worried about our perimeter defense. It will be good. However, I'm particularly concerned about our ability to defend the athletic power forwards( Turner, Wilson et al). Stewie could take any competitors game away from them but we don't have that player this year. Even Tuck was effective against the power forwards as her lower body strength was exceptional. Williams , as gifted an athlete as she is, will have trouble against the bigs. KLS is not there yet. Collier has the best chance but she still needs work. Double team won't work against high quality teams that have great shooting options( think ND). The defense will get better as the year progresses but its not clear to me that it will get us through April.

Reaction Score
What is it going to take to beat UConn this season? Having our ladies playing below UConn standards and expectations on both sides of the floor.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
For bigs I wouldn't say double team so much as rotate help in the paint. If the player moved from the lane that help would fall off. With guards traps are usually situational, such as in corners or presses. Usually Geno likes to face guard or use the box and one to limit a guards looks.
I believe essentially Rotate help is the same as Double teaming, just a different way of saying it.. Unless the help comes in the form of switching which is a totally different defensive strategy all together :)
No one keeps two defenders attached to the hips of one player throughout the entire possession.. So yes they do eventually fall off and recover as the pass out of the double team is made..

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
A common opinion is that UCONN WBB will lose multiple regular season games this year.
What is it going to take to beat UCONN?
1) Stolen from Doris Burke: Excellent guard play.
2) Away game for UCONN
3) Excellent 3 Point Shooting
4) Excellent coaching
What else?
Without a doubt...scoring more points than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom