What is it going to take to beat UCONN this season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What is it going to take to beat UCONN this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I believe essentially Rotate help is the same as Double teaming, just a different way of saying it.. Unless the help comes in the form of switching which is a totally different defensive strategy all together :)
No one keeps two defenders attached to the hips of one player throughout the entire possession.. So yes they do eventually fall off and recover as the pass out of the double team is made..
But again, no coach will say they double teamed an opposing player. Also help in the paint against an opposing player doesn't happen every time down the floor. That means this rotation is a tactic that will occur during specific times in specific areas against specific players with a specific intention in mind.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What is it going to take to beat UConn this season? Having our ladies playing below UConn standards and expectations on both sides of the floor.

That was true last year but does not apply to this team...yet. This team may win a championship but don't forget that you just lost the greatest class in WCBB history.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Offense and Conditioning. The teams might have a lead, but after halftime UConn will eat them up, because they are not able to play longer than 20 minutes. Also, I am a firm believer.....if you live by the 3, you will die by the 3. Perfect example: Dayton, Final Four 2015.
Coaching. Geno Auriemma; Christine Daley; Shae Ralph and Marissa Mosely are Great coaches.
Team. So many teams do not know how to spell TEAM. They think there is an I in TEAM.

I am hearing so many people say "UConn is rebuilding this year"....UConn isn't rebuilding, they are reloading.

Reaction Score
Our offense will be very good this year and while it may not be quite as good as last year , it should be good enough to contend with any team we play. However, IMO , the defense will not be nearly as strong as last year and will be the biggest factor in the gap closing between UCONN and other top 10 teams. I'm not worried about our perimeter defense. It will be good. However, I'm particularly concerned about our ability to defend the athletic power forwards( Turner, Wilson et al). Stewie could take any competitors game away from them but we don't have that player this year. Even Tuck was effective against the power forwards as her lower body strength was exceptional. Williams , as gifted an athlete as she is, will have trouble against the bigs. KLS is not there yet. Collier has the best chance but she still needs work. Double team won't work against high quality teams that have great shooting options( think ND). The defense will get better as the year progresses but its not clear to me that it will get us through April.

For me "the backboard" is more vulnerable than "the low post." Guard play is key for the opposing team either shooting lights out or opening the paint enough for UCONN to get crushed on the glass. A team with really good perimeter defense at 1-5 positions - or 1-4 positions if a player or two is off will be tough. The UCONN players are not pros and won't get as many easy baskets as they had vs the top teams.

On the flip side, UCONN isn't playing against pros either.

Reaction Score
For me "the backboard" is more vulnerable than "the low post." Guard play is key for the opposing team either shooting lights out or opening the paint enough for UCONN to get crushed on the glass. A team with really good perimeter defense at 1-5 positions - or 1-4 positions if a player or two is off will be tough. The UCONN players are not pros and won't get as many easy baskets as they had vs the top teams.

On the flip side, UCONN isn't playing against pros either.
Time will tell...however, I'm not as worried about rebounding as I am about our opponents having a higher shooting percentage against us. Stewies blocks, altered shots and mere presence took power forwards out of their game. As to rebounding, Gabby, Collier and Butler all had more rebounds per 40 minutes of play than either Stewie or Tuck. Granted some of that was garbage time but with their increased minutes I really don't see rebounding as a problem.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe essentially Rotate help is the same as Double teaming, just a different way of saying it.. Unless the help comes in the form of switching which is a totally different defensive strategy all together :)
Then you really don't understand it. Rotate is a reaction to the ball. A double team is pre-determined decision to put two defender on one offensive player.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Then you really don't understand it. Rotate is a reaction to the ball. A double team is pre-determined decision to put two defender on one offensive player.
Okay guys allow me too ask this question please.. Not trying to be difficult here but..

If as a result of "reacting to the ball" two defensive players end up covering one offensive post player at the same time is that considered to be single coverage..?

two players on one player is a double team no matter how you achieved it.. (zone, Box&1, Man to man, reacting, collapsing) all can result in a player being doubled.. To-ma-toes, To-mat-oes = Tomatoes.. The objective there is to take away space/freedom of movement from the offensive player when they catch the ball in the paint, forcing them to pass or shoot over the crowded space.. or daring someone else to make shots from other areas of the floor or force a shot clock violation..

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Okay guys allow me too ask this question please.. Not trying to be difficult here but..

If as a result of "reacting to the ball" two defensive players end up covering one offensive post player at the same time is that considered to be single coverage..?

two players on one player is a double team no matter how you achieved it.. (zone, Box&1, Man to man, reacting, collapsing) all can result in a player being doubled.. To-ma-toes, To-mat-oes = Tomatoes.. The objective there is to take away space/freedom of movement from the offensive player when they catch the ball in the paint, forcing them to pass or shoot over the crowded space.. or daring someone else to make shots from other areas of the floor or force a shot clock violation..
Again, for the majority of the game that help won't exist. In football a double team on a wide out happens as soon as the ball is snapped. Two SPECIFIC players are assigned to cover that player either in a zone or M2M where ever that player goes. In basketball two specific players will not be assigned to cover any player at any time, and certainly not all over the court. Generally help won't rotate full court, or when the player is in the corner, on the perimeter, at the elbow, top of the key. Or it may depending on the situation or the play called by the coach. That help also may not rotate when the player is in the paint as well. Specific times, different players, specific areas, specific situations, specific play calling does not denote a double team. That's why coaches are so demanding of their players to be precise, quick and reactive in their rotations.

Reaction Score
Time will tell...however, I'm not as worried about rebounding as I am about our opponents having a higher shooting percentage against us. Stewies blocks, altered shots and mere presence took power forwards out of their game. As to rebounding, Gabby, Collier and Butler all had more rebounds per 40 minutes of play than either Stewie or Tuck. Granted some of that was garbage time but with their increased minutes I really don't see rebounding as a problem.

Overall I'm okay with our rebounding but for the games we lose I think it will be a good chance that we get whacked there amongst other things. We'll be a tough team to beat but when we go down I think that will be an issue at times.

I don't think NB gets big minutes overall. She'll get minutes but not big minutes. And I didn't think she is that good of a rebounder. I think a lot of Gabby/Collier/Butter's rebounding had to do with as you say - their competition and even when they played with the 1st string, the defense of the other team wasn't worried of Gabby or Collier's offensive rebounding as much as defending Stewie and Tuck everywhere on the floor. Now they'll have the top inside more physical player's guarding them (KLS will be defended by more of a quick player. In some cases it will be tall, but not a rebounding type bulkier defender.). The good teams that are capable of beating us- it's not like all of their big player's can't defend at all outside of 10 feet.

And on defense, Tuck would guard the wide, bulky post and Stewie would guard anyone very long. Gabby or Collier weren't guarding as tough of an offensive threat around the basket overall as Tuck would, or as you say Stewie would rover around and at least alter shots or Stewie's ability to help-and-recover-and-compete for rebounds was 2nd to none . When Stewie altered shots, she wasn't in as good rebounding position so to compare them vs her while also adding up the competition, I wouldn't give them much for the rebounding per minute. Her ability to help and recover and compete for rebounds, now with her gone, anytime one of our backline does that, we'll be much more exposed in terms of rebounding too.

Overall I don't believe NB is that good of a rebounder. I hope I'm wrong. Overall I think KLS is soft as a rebounder. I hope I'm wrong. As far as KLS/NC/GW - last year if they committed quick fouls, so what? Now - they can't commit 2 fouls early or if they are in foul trouble 2nd half can't be as aggressive. They haven't had to live with that in their college careers. Now they do. Much more they have to pace themselves and realize their presence is very important too.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
All week I have been watching old games from 2000 until 2016, and I am so excited. Those teams faced the same thing.....Naysayers saying they wouldn't beat this team or that team, but they did because all those teams had Geno and CD as their coaches. Did they lose some... yes, but not as many as the Naysayers said.
Each class set goals to be better than the following classes.
We as supporters of UConn, do not know what they are going to do until the season start, but I am a true believer and die hard UConn fan!!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn do not fear any team, and when one teammate is struggling....the rest of the team step-up!! UConn Huskies...bleed blue!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Not really To-ma-toes, To-mat-oes, more like Apples and Oranges. It matters very much how two defensive players end up on one offensive player.
A Double team is the result of a prior decison. Example: We are going to put two defender on this player, on this position on floor, or on the catch or if/when the player dribbles.
A rotation is a reaction to the ball. Example: A weakside post defender (opposite the ball) rotates to strong side ( ball side) to provide help usually because the first defender has been beaten.
Rotations are always temporary-usually until the first defender recovers. If your rotations result in a permanent double team you are not doing it right.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Not really To-ma-toes, To-mat-oes, more like Apples and Oranges. It matters very much how two defensive players end up on one offensive player.
A Double team is the result of a prior decison. Example: We are going to put two defender on this player, on this position on floor, or on the catch or if/when the player dribbles.
A rotation is a reaction to the ball. Example: A weakside post defender (opposite the ball) rotates to strong side ( ball side) to provide help usually because the first defender has been beaten.
Rotations are always temporary-usually until the first defender recovers. If your rotations result in a permanent double team you are not doing it right.

And a double team can also be accomplished by help-side rotation which is in essence reacting to the ball..
How to Double the Post – The 4 Best Tactics | Basketball For Coaches

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
At least SC name is getting mention with UCONN....Tennessee has to worry about not losing to Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas for the consecutive year lol
Which SEC team was the last one standing again?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Fortner will not be the last to predict a UConn defeat. Predictions mean nothing.

Play it on the court Nell. SC at Gampel. My money is on UConn all the way!
Based on what both team have coming back. I can see why she could say that. I have a few questions though. How will Davis do? Dawn said at media days about talking to her. About being a defensive stopper for the team. Who will step up and be the go to player for Uconn? I think it could be Nurse.

Reaction Score
I picked Tenn. last year mainly because of Diamond being added with the returning players! Tell her a Uconn fan is picking them again to win the SEC!

Reaction Score
Based on what both team have coming back. I can see why she could say that. I have a few questions though. How will Davis do? Dawn said at media days about talking to her. About being a defensive stopper for the team. Who will step up and be the go to player for Uconn? I think it could be Nurse.

I think both Nurse and KLS. Unlike KML, KLS has size so you can give her picks which will allow her enough space in order to get off her shot. Nurse can do more with the ball in her hands.

How about if needing a last second shot KLS picks Nurse's defender and pops outside while giving Nurse the decision to either drive or throw the ball back to KLS?

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma is a "puppet master". Geno Auriemma teams don't only play basketball. When the team is on the court, they do ballet; play volleyball, baseball and soccer. Instead of throwing the kitchen sink, Geno throw in a mixture of things.

Ballet - The way the players move on the court
Volleyball- The way the players block and spike the ball to their teammates
Baseball- The way the players steal and pass the ball
Soccer - The footwork; speed and conditioning

Reaction Score

And which team is the 3 time SEC regular season champ and two time SEC tourney champ?? Ok.. anything else ??

Reaction Score

The game vs UCONN will certainly be entertaining but I think Allisha Gray will be the defensive stopper this year. Kaela Davis certainly could be a problem on the defensive end as she is as tall as most teams forwards.

Reaction Score
I picked Tenn. last year mainly because of Diamond being added with the returning players! Tell her a Uconn fan is picking them again to win the SEC!
Why on earth would you pick tenn. ? Miss st has a way better chance then them IMO. Tenn has more questions at the pg position then SC and they have absolutely no depth. I also think that there is no one in the conference who can guard A'ja Wilson. Diamond is a good player but just her alone can't do it for Tennessee. It was actually quite modest of the media for even picking them for third.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Cool. I think with Diamond healthy it will make a difference. Holly said at media day she has taken her game to a whole new level.

Reaction Score
Cool. I think with Diamond healthy it will make a difference. Holly said at media day she has taken her game to a whole new level.

Tenn. just lacks too much depth at the most important positions. DeSheilds would have to have a POY type year to take this team far

Reaction Score
Why on earth would you pick tenn. ? Miss st has a way better chance then them IMO. Tenn has more questions at the pg position then SC and they have absolutely no depth. I also think that there is no one in the conference who can guard A'ja Wilson. Diamond is a good player but just her alone can't do it for Tennessee. It was actually quite modest of the media for even picking them for third.
38-8, 61-12, 81-18, 98-38 Mississippi St. really! Tenn. made the Elite 8. and they have a lot to prove this year. Plus the added incentive of playing for Pat Summit. Diamond Deshields plays and leads like she is capable of doing. Imo the best player in the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom