What do you think about the one year audition for KO? | The Boneyard

What do you think about the one year audition for KO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm dissapointed with the decision makers at UConn on this one. Regardless if you think KO will be a good HC, it just seems to make sense to give him at least a 3 year contract. I think they should have given him a 3 year deal with some sort of reasonable buyout if the program wants a cost effective out. Having a 3 year deal would provide recruiting confidence.

As it stands now, recruits who are considering UConn have to weigh the possibility that KO might not even be here when they arrive next fall. I realize you never want to throw money away, but couldn't they come up with a contract that would help our recruiting but also give them a reasonable out if they feel he's not the future? Now as it stands, regardless if he does well or bad this season, UConn might not get the best recruiting hall possible to ensure as much future success as possible. Am I alone in this line of thinking?

If we don't end up landing XRM due to this very reason, I'm going to be pissed!!! I thought the new president and AD were getting it when they first started, but now I'm not so sure. Granted, having the right coach is critical to have a successful program, but so is talent. Why wouldn't you take the appropriate measures to cover as many of your bases as possible? This makes me wonder if either the Susan Herbst and/or the Warde Manuel feel that it is more important that they don't let JC win (get his way) than doing the right thing for the program.

We'll never know if this was a JC powerplay to set Ollie up as the HC by retiring at a time where they couldn't have a national search for his replacement. I felt all along that he might just pull that off, but it seemed like he was honestly weighing his options but the bicycle accident ended up forcing his hand to go in the direction of retirement.

I like the outcome, giving KO a shot, but I wish they'd do at least a 3 year deal and give him all the tools he needs (time and optimal recruiting situation) to succeed. I just hope this administration doesn't flush this program down the toilet. It's bad enough that this is happening while the Big East is spirally downward. If they're not careful this programs brand which has been damaged a tad the past few years due to the APR and Recruiting violations, could spiral out of control and take years to build back up. I don't think that will happen, but I just wonder of Herbst and Manuel know what they're doing.

Reaction Score
I see this as a good balance. Now Warde gets chance to give ringing endorsement to effective coaching by Ollie and new recruits know that by coming to Uconn they help insure Ollie gets new deal and is around.

Ollie will get it done and there is no way there is any spiral down hill. After listening to Ollie I was getting ready to check if I had any eligibility left!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I said it in another thread but I just don't think it's that big a deal. I think kids are going to commit to Ollie because they and their parents believe in him. So when he says, "I'm here for good," if they believe what he's saying they'll believe that too. And if they need Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst to say "Kevin Ollie is who we want and expect to be coaching this team for the next three decades," then they'll say it. All coaches can be fired, contract or not.

I would have preferred a 2-year deal but even a 2-year deal doesn't guarantee anything let alone that Ollie would be coaching a recruit for his entire 4-year career. Anyone who watched the presser today knows that Kevin Ollie will be able to sell himself in recruits' homes.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i wanted 3 or 4 year deal with a out after year 2 for warde to feel like hes a big boy. 7 months is a slap in the face. KO will take it and shove it up wardes ass for the next 30 years, thats my take on it.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
i wanted 3 or 4 year deal with a out after year 2 for warde to feel like hes a big boy. 7 months is a slap in the face. KO will take it and shove it up wardes ass for the next 30 years, thats my take on it.

Agreed. KO got a raw deal, but he's never had it easy. It will motivate him to fight for his coaching life. I'm hoping he gets a mid-season extension so that recruiting will be smooth. At this point, the recruiting situation is very similar to before Coach Calhoun retired. How do recruits know that KO will be the coach after 2013; how can they commit knowing that in 2013-2014 a different system may be run? I think Calhoun is going to play a large role behind the scenes to teach KO about situational coaching to ensure he succeeds. Half of coaching is recruiting IMO (Squid), and Ollie has that down well. His staff his strong, his players are loyal...I'd be surprised if he does not succeed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
KO's entire career has been 1 year contracts. It won't phase him one bit. The arrangement is a compromise that was signed off by everyone. JC gets his man, KO gets an opportunity to show he has what it takes, and WM gets the flexibility if a big name becomes available. All sides believe they are in a good spot. I would imagine if KO looks good and keeps the recruiting up, he will get a multiyear deal around Feb. If not, or if WM's not so super secret search committee hits paydirt, JC's contract expires in March and KO's expires two weeks later.

On an awkwardness scale, the one year deal is about a 3. A multi-year deal wouldn't stop WM from bringing in his own coach if he found it necessary. JC is banking on the Alumni and fans rallying around KO to make that impossible if KO does well. He is probably right. Dumping KO under those circumstances would only hasten his own exit.

Reaction Score
I see this as a good balance. Now Warde gets chance to give ringing endorsement to effective coaching by Ollie and new recruits know that by coming to Uconn they help insure Ollie gets new deal and is around.

Ollie will get it done and there is no way there is any spiral down hill. After listening to Ollie I was getting ready to check if I had any eligibility left!

Why would recruits care about Ollie's career? They are concerned with their own careers.

C

Chief00

I agree this is pretty ridiculous. I am with DM that a 3 year contract would make more sense. Manuel is said to have a huge ego and maybe that part of it. Quite frankly, they are very weak up front. Add in a tough schedule and there is very low likelihood of a good record. So we must hope they use some other metric to judge success.

Reaction Score
I think that it stinks. But I understand it. It is a good move on both parts. KO understands it and will make the most of the opportunity that is given to him.

Reaction Score
Listening to the press conference and hearing KO's response to a question about the "7 month" contract, he gets it and I am so pulling for him to do well. He is one of those guys, the good guys, that you always pull for. The mailroom clerk who always gets overlooked for a job promotion. Those good guys that grind it out everyday but always get overlooked. They do their job without complaining and when given that one chance to shine, they that advantage of it and go for the gold; that is KO. Good luck, Ollie.

U

UCONNfan1

I see no problem with the short term contract. Ollie gets to prove himself as a developer of talent and an X's and O's coach during games. Given that little is expected of the team this year, I think they could surprise some people and raise Ollie's stock.

I think at the end of the year, a nationwide search should take place. If the AD doesn't do that, he's doing a disservice to the university. I'd give Ollie better than a 75% chance to land the HC gig if he does a competent to good job this year.

As for hurting recruiting, maybe, maybe not. Ollie can at least now say that JC is gone and that the "plan" is for him to lead the team going forward. I'm sure it will be harder for him to recruit the 2013 kids, but we've certainly weathered lean recruiting years in the past.

Any kid who verbals in the next 7 months will become an instant Husky favorite. And if KO can overcome his 1 year contract to exceed expecations both on the court and recruiting-wise, he'd be a shoe in (IMHO) for the HC job...

I do get people may feel very strongly one way or the other, especially coming down on the side of supporting KO and feeling that Warde should have given him a 2-3 year contract. But as others have pointed out, KO is a class act and will represent the university incredibly well during the upcoming season.​

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm good with this.

First, we need an athletic director with some stones and his own agenda. JC and GA are superstars, but the athletic director needs to be be all and end all. That seems to be the case.

Second, Kevin Ollie has the reigns with every chance to succeed. I think he will. He has a s***-load of coaching experience sitting on every side of him. Hobbs, Blaney and Miller...not to mention Jimmy C in the wings.

We're in a good spot. Wait and see.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My guess is that the evaluation of Ollie will be a little more relaxed than some folks might be thinking. He is not being set up to fail and bring in a "Warde guy". If Ollie shows he can run a program, keep kids in goods academic standing, and represent the university well, I think he'll get a reasonable deal. He doesn't need to set the world on fire out of the gate.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I see no problem with the short term contract. Ollie gets to prove himself as a developer of talent and an X's and O's coach during games. Given that little is expected of the team this year, I think they could surprise some people and raise Ollie's stock.​
I think at the end of the year, a nationwide search should take place. If the AD doesn't do that, he's doing a disservice to the university. I'd give Ollie better than a 75% chance to land the HC gig if he does a competent to good job this year.​
As for hurting recruiting, maybe, maybe not. Ollie can at least now say that JC is gone and that the "plan" is for him to lead the team going forward. I'm sure it will be harder for him to recruit the 2013 kids, but we've certainly weathered lean recruiting years in the past.​
Any kid who verbals in the next 7 months will become an instant Husky favorite. And if KO can overcome his 1 year contract to exceed expecations both on the court and recruiting-wise, he'd be a shoe in (IMHO) for the HC job...​
I do get people may feel very strongly one way or the other, especially coming down on the side of supporting KO and feeling that Warde should have given him a 2-3 year contract. But as others have pointed out, KO is a class act and will represent the university incredibly well during the upcoming season.​

Wait, you want to run a national search with Kevin Ollie as a candidate for the job?

Reaction Score
Agreed. KO got a raw deal, but he's never had it easy. It will motivate him to fight for his coaching life. I'm hoping he gets a mid-season extension so that recruiting will be smooth. At this point, the recruiting situation is very similar to before Coach Calhoun retired. How do recruits know that KO will be the coach after 2013; how can they commit knowing that in 2013-2014 a different system may be run? I think Calhoun is going to play a large role behind the scenes to teach KO about situational coaching to ensure he succeeds. Half of coaching is recruiting IMO (Squid), and Ollie has that down well. His staff his strong, his players are loyal...I'd be surprised if he does not succeed.

No disrespect to your position but I'd like to get a raw deal for $$350k+. This was orchestrated by Calhoun as the master that he is - Hebst gave Manual a little respect back.

KO will do fine in the end. He can't lose unless he totally implodes (which after watching the support (love) he got today - I don't see happening).

My dimes worth...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's kind of weird...this season has a lot more buzz now. We can honestly say that everyone involved in it is fighting for respect. Every last one of them has something to prove.

In a season where they have every incentive to mail it in, they now have the distinct possibility of fighting harder than most UConn teams have over the last 30 years.

Pride is a hell of a motivator. Just ask Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone would be upset with Warde Manuel.

His job is on the line and Calhoun left 6 weeks before practice starts. He basically had no choice but to give Ollie the job for the year. Warde Manuel should be given the opportunity to do his job, which is find the best person to run each athletic program. If he fails, then we can move on, but we have to give him the chance to do his job.

How can anyone expect him to sign off on a 3 year contract at one of the top 5 programs in the country, for a guy who has never been a head coach at any level? Warde doesn't have the emotional connection to the school and the program many of us have, he has to run the athletic department with his head and make the best decision for the program even if it contradicts the wishes of the legend that built it.

I have no problem with this deal. I hope Ollie proves to be the guy. He's easy to root for, he's a fighter, he's a great representative of the school, and he bleeds national flag blue. I believe Manuel when he says Ollie will be judged qualitatively as well as quantitatively. I think a one year audition at one of the top programs in the country, is more than fair for a guy who has never been a head coach. I hope he passes the test with flying colors.

If he thought he was getting a raw deal, or didn't think he had to earn the job; and that he deserved it just because Calhoun said so, he wouldn't have taken the one year deal. He would have demanded more. He doesn't have that entitlement mentality, and I don't know why any of our fans think he should. Calhoun has said for the last few years that he wasn't sure if he was coming back the next year, it didn't hurt recruiting. We're UConn, not USF, not Valpo, not BCU, not Butler. UConn is still UConn, and we can still recruit at a high level with uncertainty surrounding our head coaching position, we've been doing it for the past few years.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Why would recruits care about Ollie's career? They are concerned with their own careers.

Absolutely. And why on earth would any 4or 5 star sign a school with zero certainty who the Coach might be? Ollie's 7 month deal means Manual can dump Ollie and bring in his own man, and UConn tradition can suck hind teat.
Wouldn't be surprised to see KO return the favor by jumping to an NBA ass't position com January. Not his style but what they deserve.

Reaction Score
My first thought was that we're going to have another lame duck issue that will hurt recruiting. Also, that this was a power show by our AD.

However, after hearing Kevin speak, I think he's going to turn it to his advantage in both coaching and recruiting. I love his passion and his commitment. I also never worry about him being lured away, once he's under a real contract.

He's going to be a star and I now realize why JC wanted him as his successor. He's got awesmoe experience as an NBA-er who's been around almost every coach in the league. I'm not worried about Kevin. I'm not worried about UConn. My only concern is will the BE remain attractive to top players.

Reaction Score
I say fans should chill. If anyone knows how to succeed with a non guaranteed contract its Kevin. Its also delicate, and risky to provide a person with no coaching experience the reigns of an elite program and powerhouse. Nothing wrong with a trial and in fact in corporations its not unusual.

I believe Ollie will thrive and survive and will be our coach for years. If he fails he will thrive and survive not being our coach. Either way he is fine. However his character doesn't understand failure, also his faith is on display and he will prove himself victorious.

Lastly this is the best time for him to get this deal, as expectations are low with no post season. Therefore he just needs to win over the players and the staff and for the team play competitive basketball. That I'm sure he can do with his eyes closed. Huggins, Pitino and the vets may out-coach him this year but not for long. They surely won't intimidate him which is a great start. He knows he belongs!

Reaction Score
Absolutely. And why on earth would any 4or 5 star sign a school with zero certainty who the Coach might be? Ollie's 7 month deal means Manual can dump Ollie and bring in his own man, and UConn tradition can suck hind teat.
Wouldn't be surprised to see KO return the favor by jumping to an NBA ass't position com January. Not his style but what they deserve.

You guys are drawing an awful lot of conclusions that have no support whatsoever.

The people who are criticizing the AD here seem to be the same people who thought that JC should be able to just pick his successor, end of story. They are wrong on both points.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My first thought was that we're going to have another lame duck issue that will hurt recruiting. Also, that this was a power show by our AD.

It was a power show by JC. The AD is only doing what a confident AD would have done. It's the right move for the future of the program. I'm sure it won't help recruiting, but if JC cared about recruiting he would have retired in April.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think this was pretty complicated. We know KO is a great guy and a very good recruiter. We don't know , if JC would have retired anyway at this point just to "stick" Manuel with KO. Not a one of us know if a guy with zero head coaching experience can jump into an elite program, following a legend, and do the job. Personally, I never liked the idea of favoring a UConn grad just for that reason. If a nationwide search still gets you to believe that the UConn guy is the best choice, great, but this needed to be a very careful pick and it wasn't. And Manuel knows it. It does not take very long for proud programs to bite the dust for an extended time - see St. Johns for example - and our league situation doesn't help. The good and the bad thing for KO in a one year deal is that arguably, because tournament play is not in the picture, there is less pressure to win a huge number of games. On the other hand, without that pressure, hard to say how the kids will react. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
The people who think JC hurt the program by not letting Warde Manuel pick his own guy are out of their freaking mind. Why would you have more faith in a football guy over our hall of fame basketball coach? Why do you automatically assume Warde would have picked a superstar? What happens when JC and the extended UCONN family he brings gets pushed aside and Warde hires a dud?

What happened to Indiana when they pushed Knight out? Did they hire a superstar? They are Indiana, they must have hired the right guy. Kentucky has had coaching failures, UCLA has gone through a number of failed coaches.

How do we know Warde is any better then the BC AD?

The smart move is to do it JC's way first, if it doesn't work out at least they tried. We are one year removed from being national champions, we should be thankful that JC wants to stay involved. Look at the bench coaches JC has assembled, we have the most experienced staff in the country.

Reaction Score
The people who think JC hurt the program by not letting Warde Manuel pick his own guy are out of their freaking mind. Why would you have more faith in a football guy over our hall of fame basketball coach? Why do you automatically assume Warde would have picked a superstar? What happens when JC and the extended UCONN family he brings gets pushed aside and Warde hires a dud?

What happened to Indiana when they pushed Knight out? Did they hire a superstar?

How do we know Warde is any better then the BC AD?

The smart move is to do it JC's way first, if it doesn't work out at least they tried.

Could you quote the person who said Warde would have automatically picked a superstar? What we can assume, is there would be a lot of interest from a lot of experienced coaches, why would we eliminate people from consideration who may be more qualified and better long term choices?

They had no choice but to do it JC's way. Smart or not, it was the only thing to do. It's the middle of September, you can't find a coach now.

How many guys were assistants for Calhoun and went on to be star coaches? None. So why would we have more faith in Calhoun's ability to pick a head coach than the man hired to pick head coaches? What does football have to do with it? Hiring a coach is not about x's and o's. Based on your logic, Warde Manuel isn't qualified to hire a hockey coach, a track coach, a soccer coach, or any other sport.

JC hurt the program by putting the AD in a situation where he was forced to hire the guy JC wanted rather than letting the AD do his job. This hurts the AD's credibility with other programs, it subverts his authority, and it's not good for the program.

You ask nothing but straw men questions that can easily be flipped back at you. What happens when Ollie flounders? What happens if Warde hires a stud to replace him? What happened to UNC when they made an assistant the replacement for Dean Smith? How do we know Warde isn't the best AD in the country if we don't let him do his job?

Warde Manuel was hired to pick coaches and run an athletic department. If we're not going to trust him to do that job, we should release him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom