What do you expect from Akok Akok this season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do you expect from Akok Akok this season?

Reaction Score
I think people will kinda coming away saying 'wow' sometimes then saying 'wow' other times. I've watched enough of him at this point... You can see everything that NBA scouts go nuts about. All there. When he figures it out it's gonna be a lot of fun.

He's just really raw. He fouls a lot. He'll contribute for sure - i just don't know if he's going to be A GUY in year one, although you never know.

Bouknight is something else.

Reaction Score
I think people will kinda coming away saying 'wow' sometimes then saying 'wow' other times. I've watched enough of him at this point... You can see everything that NBA scouts go nuts about. All there. When he figures it out it's gonna be a lot of fun.

He's just really raw. He fouls a lot. He'll contribute for sure - i just don't know if he's going to be A GUY in year one, although you never know.

Bouknight is something else.

Wow;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’m going to cook up numbers. Nah.

I got the impression from 429 we should temper our expectations of Akok. It seems his ranking is based more on potential than current development.

He’ll be a valuable player to rotate in but won’t start for a while if at all unless he makes a leap in development and Tyler doesn’t. We’ve heard about his shot blocking ability but can he guard quick fours? How is he as a rebounder?

pj

Reaction Score
I expect to see steady progress, and a better player in March than in November.

Reaction Score
I’m going to cook up numbers. Nah.

I got the impression from 429 we should temper our expectations of Akok. It seems his ranking is based more on potential than current development.

He’ll be a valuable player to rotate in but won’t start for a while if at all unless he makes a leap in development and Tyler doesn’t. We’ve heard about his shot blocking ability but can he guard quick fours? How is he as a rebounder?
I think he'll be starting day 1, his rim protection ia desperately needed.

We've seen Tyler for two years and he's shown he can't do any of those things down low.

Reaction Score
He'll probably start pretty early into the season after some good performances against the easier teams. Once we get into the conference schedule, I see him being very inconsistent and struggling to stay on the floor due to foul trouble. The talent will be easy to see, but physical development and polish are needed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he'll be starting day 1, his rim protection ia desperately needed.

We've seen Tyler for two years and he's shown he can't do any of those things down low.
That’s certainly possible. We’ll soon find out.

I hope both are fighting for time because both are playing well.

Really excited to see the team at C of C.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't understand this. You were forced to type something about Kevin Ollie that risked derailing the thread?
As his Avatar says Adding Nothing to the Conversation - Just playing and having some fun so take it easy Matt

I think Akok will surprise this year for the simple reasons that he came in with a good level of skills plus exceptional athleticism, he's added weight and muscle, he's played/practiced with the team since last January and he has had the luxury of DH and staff working with him since that time.

BTW - I think Bazz, Boat, Giffey, Facey and Daniels all improved from the time that KO walked on the court as HC to the day they walked off the Storrs campus. Not to AA level (except Bazz) but there was improvement. Plus he was involved in all their recruitment.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Akok is a very unique player for us. We have never had a shotblocking, 3 point shooting big. The only one that comes close in comparison is Charlie V but that was a different era and Charlie only average one 3point attempt per game. Akok should probably triple that. So what do you expect? Here's a few questions:

1. Will he start?
I think Yes

2. Will Hurley run plays for him in the half court?
Probably for jump shots but there are so many unknown variables here. Does he have any type of post game? Can he take anyone off the dribble? Can he pass if he draws attention? He has a really pretty stroke but I don't expect him to shoot a great percentage overall from the outside in the first half of the season just because of the up and downs of a young player getting accustomed to the D1 level.

3. How will he be on defense?
We know Akok is athletic, has very good length and timing on blocking shots. We don't know if we will get pushed around and we also don't know if he will be able to avoid foul trouble. I think he will be a little better than expected here simply because I think he is stronger than is generally assumed here, despite the very skinny legs. Carlton averaged 2 blocks per game last year. If Akok can average around 2 per game this year, that will be huge for UConn. We will need him to be a strong rebounder as well.

4. What will his stats be?
Again, just a guess and this is under the assumption that he is a starter I predict he averages 8ppg, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. These are very similar numbers to what Carlton averaged this season, though they are completely different players. I expect him to have a couple breakout games with 20 points but to also be held to 2 or 3 points in some games.

5. How long will he be around?
I've heard the plan and the goal for both Akok and UConn is 2 seasons and then the NBA. But anything can happen.

I think he is going to be in foul trouble more often than not. One illustrative data point, though not what I'm using for this call, was an instagram video of practice the other day. Akok fouled Carlton twice on one play, which was a simple under the basket catch and rise for a layup. Fouled with body first, then came down hard with the hand.

Some people saying 25mpg, and I initially thought that as well, but I'm not sure he'll stay on the court for my than 20mpg. We'll see.

The plays I see them running for Akok inside will be the Hamilton to Brimah lob for alleyoops or open dunks.

Most other inside plays will be run for Carlton.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
As his Avatar says Adding Nothing to the Conversation - Just playing and having some fun so take it easy Matt

Lol, all good. Is it appropriate to say “your post/my handle?”

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This year, he could be an indispensable 30 mpg weapon, or so lost on the court you can only play him in garbage time. I think it's a cop out to expect some middle of the road outcome, since I don't think the result will split the difference whatsoever, it will be nearer to one of the extremes.

A cop out to expect something other than all or nothing? Strange way to look at it.

I think he contributes effectively enough when he's on the court, but the amount is limited due to foul trouble. Which kind of falls into the middle of your range.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's what I don't know about Akok and do know about him:

1) Can he move his feet on defense and does he understand help defense/the hedge etc etc??

2) Does he know how to stay out of foul trouble, part of that has to do with #1because foul trouble comes with not understanding how to play D and being behind on the play.

3) 3) Can he guard a 4 who can take him away from the basket?

4) Is he strong enough (we know he's long enough) and does he have good reading ability to get 6-7 boards a game?

5) Can he handle it good enough an pass well enough to get to the basket on occasion as well as get it to open teammates while making moves?

We know:

1) He can shoot it a little, but can we get 40%/30% at least?

2) He can block shots will he get 3 a game because he knows where to position himself without getting lost?

I admit love his potential but really have no clue where he fits in the speed of the game. If he has Enochs defense he will get in foul trouble and play less. If he understands that end of the game he will be a pleasure watching to grow, and he will play 18-22 at least.

Reaction Score
Staying out of foul trouble is the key for him. The rest will all fall in place.

Time on the floor will determine how much growth we see.

Reaction Score
1. Yes he'll start. He's been around 8 months longer than the freshmen, and he brings more skills to the game than Polley. That said, he won't play more than 20 mpg because of his propensity to foul.
2. Run plays for him? Only if you consider a drive to the middle by Gilbert followed by a kickout to AA for a 3-pt shot as running a play for him.
3. How will he be on defense? Here's where I think he makes the biggest difference. Carlton averaged 2.5 blocks per game in the last 13 games of last season; I think he maintains that average for the entire '19-'20 season; I think Akok will match him, and with Wilson, Vitale and others chipping in another 3 per game, UConn rises back up to the top 15 teams in the country in bpg. And most of Akok's blocks will be on help defense - no more easy buckets by the other teams' guards.
4. Stats? With the deep bench this year, 10-11 guys getting minutes each game, stats will be spread out , so I see 7.5-5-3.
How long will he wear UConn blue? I'd like to say 3 years but he'll be gone after two.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1. Yes he'll start. He's been around 8 months longer than the freshmen, and he brings more skills to the game than Polley. That said, he won't play more than 20 mpg because of his propensity to foul.
2. Run plays for him? Only if you consider a drive to the middle by Gilbert followed by a kickout to AA for a 3-pt shot as running a play for him.
3. How will he be on defense? Here's where I think he makes the biggest difference. Carlton averaged 2.5 blocks per game in the last 13 games of last season; I think he maintains that average for the entire '19-'20 season; I think Akok will match him, and with Wilson, Vitale and others chipping in another 3 per game, UConn rises back up to the top 15 teams in the country in bpg. And most of Akok's blocks will be on help defense - no more easy buckets by the other teams' guards.
4. Stats? With the deep bench this year, 10-11 guys getting minutes each game, stats will be spread out , so I see 7.5-5-3.
How long will he wear UConn blue? I'd like to say 3 years but he'll be gone after two.

I don't think they are going to "run plays for" anybody but Carlton. Other than that, our scoring should come in transition, off of ball movement on the perimeter and penetration.

Let's see how savvy Akok is at moving without the ball. Carlton is going to command a double team against several opponents. If Josh can pass at all, there will be opportunities for the opposite side player, Akok, Polley, Sid most likely, to get clean dunks off of those inside passes. Likewise, I want to see those same three guys (especially Sid since he's not an outside threat) cutting when we have a penetrating guard.

I was often frustrated under KO and even last year, when we'd have a guard get to the lane and nobody comes with him to give him an option to pass. He gets swallowed up or kicks it outside if he can. I think I saw Polley cut to the hoop once on a drive by Vital and get an easy dunk out of it. It's another reason why our offensive rebounding was so lousy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just pointing out that Akok is pronounced more like a-kook so does not rhyme with block.
Yep, I was going to go with a "What do I expect from Akok this fall? Some seasonal dishes like pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, squash etc. supplementing their normal cuisine" but I realized that most people still read the name the funnier but incorrect way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom