What do you expect from Akok Akok this season? | The Boneyard

What do you expect from Akok Akok this season?

Reaction Score
Akok is a very unique player for us. We have never had a shotblocking, 3 point shooting big. The only one that comes close in comparison is Charlie V but that was a different era and Charlie only average one 3point attempt per game. Akok should probably triple that. So what do you expect? Here's a few questions:

1. Will he start?
I think Yes

2. Will Hurley run plays for him in the half court?
Probably for jump shots but there are so many unknown variables here. Does he have any type of post game? Can he take anyone off the dribble? Can he pass if he draws attention? He has a really pretty stroke but I don't expect him to shoot a great percentage overall from the outside in the first half of the season just because of the up and downs of a young player getting accustomed to the D1 level.

3. How will he be on defense?
We know Akok is athletic, has very good length and timing on blocking shots. We don't know if we will get pushed around and we also don't know if he will be able to avoid foul trouble. I think he will be a little better than expected here simply because I think he is stronger than is generally assumed here, despite the very skinny legs. Carlton averaged 2 blocks per game last year. If Akok can average around 2 per game this year, that will be huge for UConn. We will need him to be a strong rebounder as well.

4. What will his stats be?
Again, just a guess and this is under the assumption that he is a starter I predict he averages 8ppg, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. These are very similar numbers to what Carlton averaged this season, though they are completely different players. I expect him to have a couple breakout games with 20 points but to also be held to 2 or 3 points in some games.

5. How long will he be around?
I've heard the plan and the goal for both Akok and UConn is 2 seasons and then the NBA. But anything can happen.

Reaction Score
I expect he will struggle with the college game until later in the season and then make a huge impact next season. Just the cynic in me based on the freshmen we've had recently.

Although it is about time we have a freshman come in and play way above their expectations. Seems like every year there are freshmen who play way above their expectations on lots of teams. Feels like we haven't had any of those in a while.

Reaction Score
I expect he will struggle with the college game until later in the season and then make a huge impact next season. Just the cynic in me based on the freshmen we've had recently.

Although it is about time we have a freshman come in and play way above their expectations. Seems like every year there are freshmen who play way above their expectations on lots of teams. Feels like we haven't had any of those in a while.

The general thought here and around the program is that Bouknight is the guy that is going to exceed expectations. I think Akok will be more up and down but overall meet or slightly exceed expectations as a freshman. The half season with the team last year had to help.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Because Kevin Ollie couldn’t coach. In my opinion, I can’t point at a single player that improved from the day the player stepped on campus to the day he left.

I don’t mean to sidetrack the convo, so let me give my expectations for Akok: 25 mpg, 8-9 ppg, 5-6 rpg. I’d be happy with that. And I think the students should don chef hats when he checks in and when he shoots free throws.

Reaction Score
From what i've heard Akok is a menace on defense. He blocks everything. That's truly what i'm looking forward too most. The shooting is a nice touch because he can stretch the floor, but I really want opposing teams to be afraid to drive on us.

Reaction Score
Akok is a very unique player for us. We have never had a shotblocking, 3 point shooting big. The only one that comes close in comparison is Charlie V but that was a different era and Charlie only average one 3point attempt per game. Akok should probably triple that. So what do you expect? Here's a few questions:

1. Will he start?
I think Yes

Probably for jump shots but there are so many unknown variables here. Does he have any type of post game? Can he take anyone off the dribble? Can he pass if he draws attention? He has a really pretty stroke but I don't expect him to shoot a great percentage overall from the outside in the first half of the season just because of the up and downs of a young player getting accustomed to the D1 level.

We know Akok is athletic, has very good length and timing on blocking shots. We don't know if we will get pushed around and we also don't know if he will be able to avoid foul trouble. I think he will be a little better than expected here simply because I think he is stronger than is generally assumed here, despite the very skinny legs. Carlton averaged 2 blocks per game last year. If Akok can average around 2 per game this year, that will be huge for UConn. We will need him to be a strong rebounder as well.

Again, just a guess and this is under the assumption that he is a starter I predict he averages 8ppg, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks. These are very similar numbers to what Carlton averaged this season, though they are completely different players. I expect him to have a couple breakout games with 20 points but to also be held to 2 or 3 points in some games.

I've heard the plan and the goal for both Akok and UConn is 2 seasons and then the NBA. But anything can happen.

Since you took the effort to lay out a rubric and these other rubes have ignored it, I'll play along :)

1. Will he start?
Yes. He will start at the "4" spot, and play some "5" in our version of the "GSW Death Lineup" that includes AG, CV, JB, and Tyler Phommachanh. 5 shooters, adequate height and rebounding. I think AA will be a 20 minute player at the beginning of the year, and a 30 minute player near the end of the year.

Yes. What we know of his skillset is focused on his shooting ability. With that said, I think there is no doubt we will run some counter actions or penetrate and pitch plays designed to get him open looks, particularly in the corner or at the top of the key when he is being guarded by "bigs" who may not always be able to close out effectively.

Everyone talks about his defensive prowess at the rim. I saw a video of him getting absolutely beasted by Carlton on a post move, however, so he seems like a mobile, excellent help defender who may get pushed around a bit in the rebounding/on-ball post up. Count me as hopeful. It always helps to be super long and mobile. We've missed that.

I'm pegging him for 9 ppg, 5 rpb, 1.5 bpg. He'll have some 15 point games, and he'll have some 5 point games. He'll have some 8 rebound games, and some 2 rebound games. By the end of the year that will rise and become more consistent.

NBA is seeking 3 skills sets that are at a premium right now. 1 - Shooting ability; 2 - Rim protection; 3 - length. If he can show massive potential in those three areas, even lacking consistency, he could be a fringe 1st rounder after year 1. With that said, with some other posters suggesting a 2 year plan, I see him sticking for 2 years. Year 1 he is a supporting guy. Year 2 a major player. Then drafted in the middle of round 1 based on shooting, length, and rim protection potential.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical that he will make a big impact this year. The bigs that do tend to be much thicker and stronger than him. But I'm hopeful. Bouknight being really really good just replaces Adams. If we're going to be a tourney team, it requires Akok having a major impact.

Reaction Score
He will get major minutes. His versatility will keep him on the floor. I think his scoring will be inconsistent with some big games and some where he barely scores. I also expect some very big rebounding games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
he seems like a mobile, excellent help defender who may get pushed around a bit in the rebounding/on-ball post up
This. He needs to beef up more to be banging with the big boys, but I fully expect that he'll be one those guys who come out of nowhere (apparently) and block shots. Should be fun.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he will start some games, if not all. It's possible that Polley gets the 4 spot early in the year.

Keys for Akok: Can he avoid fouling? Can he hold ground against bigs? Is he blocking shots and altering the offense? Is he hitting 3s? Is he rebounding effectively?

Team factors: Are we running? Akok can move and can beat his man down the floor and score in transition. Is Sid effective at the 3? Is Polley effective at the 4/rebounding? If Sid and Polley earn minutes, that puts pressure on Akok and could reduce his time.

Overall, I'd say 8 points, 3-4 boards and 1.5-2 blocks is about right. I suspect he could explode against some teams. Akok next to Carlton can be a huge matchup advantage against small teams. He'll also potentially be abused by a guy like Yetna, get in early foul trouble and do very little.

Reaction Score
This. He needs to beef up more to be banging with the big boys, but I fully expect that he'll be one those guys who come out of nowhere (apparently) and block shots. Should be fun.

Sid is also one of these guys and could you imagine if Sid has improved enough to not be a liability on the offensive end? A world where Akok and Sid can be on the floor and productive, maybe even at the same time, is a world where the Huskies are scary! It's likely to be a hefty wish this year but realistic expectation IMO for 20-21.

Reaction Score
Akok might have the largest variance in potential outcomes that we've had in a long time.

He could be Ater Majok, or he could be Charlie Villanueva.

This year, he could be an indispensable 30 mpg weapon, or so lost on the court you can only play him in garbage time. I think it's a cop out to expect some middle of the road outcome, since I don't think the result will split the difference whatsoever, it will be nearer to one of the extremes.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
No mention of potential fouling issues? If he is very active defensively that will raise the possibility of him getting into foul trouble or maybe the staff has been working effectively to reduce these problems, whatever the case I'm hoping for him to be a force on D and be able to chase the guys like Wiseman away from the basket instead of Carlton going after them. This would be his greatest contribution to the teams D and should help keep Carlton out of foul trouble. Points per game could have some wild swings from 0-25 on a given night and I hope he's more aggressive rebounder than Polley

Reaction Score
Akok might have the largest variance in potential outcomes that we've had in a long time.

This year, he could be an indispensable 30 mpg weapon, or so lost on the court you can only play him in garbage time. I think it's a cop out to expect some middle of the road outcome, since I don't think the result will split the difference whatsoever, it will be nearer to one of the extremes.
I think he'll be middle of the road between them but closer to Charlie. His averages should be close to Charlie's freshman year totals because of the role he will be expected to play for us this season.

Reaction Score
9 points, 6 boards, 3 blocks per game

This would be amazing. Carlton became a good shot blocker last year. They could combine to block a lot of shots and get us running the break.

Reaction Score
8/3.5/1 with 1.2 blocks. Hit the brakes on anything north of 5 rpg, barring a major change in toughness since his last aau season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't think there is any chance he averages 18, 9 and 3 blocks with 2 assists. I do think he'll have games like that, and games where he gets two fouls 4 minutes in and is never a factor. Overall, I think he will be impactful. Charlie averaged 8.9, 5.3, 1.5 blocks. 19 mpg. I think Akok will do that or better, and will probably be low 20s minutes. I don't see anybody but AG or Carlton getting 30 mpg on this team.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
1 and done, he has everything the NBA is looking for in today's power forward. Doesn't have to put up monstrous stats to make this a reality.

Reaction Score
1. Will he start?
About 40% of games.

Yes. In 3-out, 2-in motion plays he'll get some post plays. Maybe some perimeter plays if they do any 4-out, 1-in.

Against teams with size, he'll be more valuable as a off-ball rim protector. Against teams that are more long/athletic, he'll be more valuable as a long, on-ball defender.

I used Stanley Robinson as a bit of a reference. Something close to 20 mpg, 6p, 4r, 1.5 b, and makes a 3 a game at a 36% clip.

All 4 years. He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Isaac, but he was a top-10 recruit; Akok is a top-100 recruit.

Reaction Score
1. Will he start?
About 40% of games.

Yes. In 3-out, 2-in motion plays he'll get some post plays. Maybe some perimeter plays if they do any 4-out, 1-in.

Against teams with size, he'll be more valuable as a off-ball rim protector. Against teams that are more long/athletic, he'll be more valuable as a long, on-ball defender.

I used Stanley Robinson as a bit of a reference. Something close to 20 mpg, 6p, 4r, 1.5 b, and makes a 3 a game at a 36% clip.

All 4 years. He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Isaac, but he was a top-10 recruit; Akok is a top-100 recruit.
Akok is a top 30 recruit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom