What do you expect from Akok Akok this season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What do you expect from Akok Akok this season?

pj

Reaction Score
Yep, I was going to go with a "What do I expect from Akok this fall? Some seasonal dishes like pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, squash etc. supplementing their normal cuisine" but I realized that most people still read the name the funnier but incorrect way.

Casual fans. Real fans would have found it funnier your way. Now we know you cater to the casuals.

Reaction Score
Just having memories of 20 years ago.........man this thread.......

How can we have expectations on someone we havent seen? We will find out soon enough just like with Ajou.

Reaction Score
As a reminder to the board, Akok did not grow up in Africa. He has had a very typical American basketball prospect education from playing on the circuits, attending elite basketball factory prep school, etc. He came to the United States when he was 1 or 2 years old. I keep seeing comparisons to Ajou Deng and Ater Majok but he has very little in common with those two guys. It seems like there is a fear that he is one of those African projects who grew up only playing soccer, doesn't understand the game, bad hands, etc. That is not him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just pointing out that Akok is pronounced more like a-kook so does not rhyme with block.
Yep, I was going to go with a "What do I expect from Akok this fall? Some seasonal dishes like pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, squash etc. supplementing their normal cuisine" but I realized that most people still read the name the funnier but incorrect way.
Had that covered. See post #31.

Of course both pronunciations can be covered by photo shopping Akok holding a goose - bird in hand or goose is cooked.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just having memories of 20 years ago....man this thread..

How can we have expectations on someone we havent seen? We will find out soon enough just like with Ajou.
Reality happens at the start of the season. This is speculation time. Of course some fans treat speculation as factual. These are the #notmadfans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, I am aware. Stop ruining my fun.
I actually got my one and only warning for an Akok pun, if I recall correctly.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think he’ll struggle early. That stretch 4 spot is NOT an easy position to play. He’ll need to guard some mobile wing type players in this conference out of that spot, he’ll need to figure out how to stretch the floor and be there on the offensive glass(Tyler struggled with this), is he strong/physical enough? I wonder if early on Hurley will have Tyler starting and use Akok at center for defensive purposes as he learns the college game. Similar to how Calhoun used Majok in 2010.

pj

Reaction Score
I think he’ll struggle early. That stretch 4 spot is NOT an easy position to play. He’ll need to guard some mobile wing type players in this conference out of that spot, he’ll need to figure out how to stretch the floor and be there on the offensive glass(Tyler struggled with this), is he strong/physical enough? I wonder if early on Hurley will have Tyler starting and use Akok at center for defensive purposes as he learns the college game. Similar to how Calhoun used Majok in 2010.

Center is a difficult position to learn, players get lots of experience facing the basket but few have experience back to the basket. Defense may be easier at center, but offense would be hard for Akok.

Reaction Score
Any player that skinny you’ve got to be worried about durability as he goes up against guys with 20-30 more pounds of muscle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom