What did Miss State do? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What did Miss State do?

Reaction Score
I didn't find the effort to be very spirited. Except for Gabby.
In spite of the last offensive play, I thought Saniya played pretty well. At one point she scored 7 straight points to keep us in the game and she was pretty scrappy on D.

Reaction Score
Don't agree about Lou standing around. I think some people here are watching an alternate universe rendition of this game, to continue to say that. Without KLS, the game doesn't come close to going to overtime. I agree that Gabby played well but KLS wasn't chopped liver.
I'm with you. I watched the game agsinlast night (uggh painful) and in my opinion Lou was working hard most of the game. She did not hit her season average in points, but neither did the Team as a whole. Lou scored 24 percent of the teams points, Gabby got nearly 34percent. Lou hit 50 percent of her shots from 3 and overall, and the 2 big free throws to tie the game. It was a struggle for the whole team all night, bad passes, losing out on 50/50 chances, multiple missed short shots/lay ups and some of the worst foul shooting of the season. I can't explain the turnovers and missed shots to the extent they happened. Was it big stag nerves, or not being able to react to the early aggressiveness of MSST..M or ???? ... Gabby played great no doubt.. but IMHO, Lou played a decent game and hit shots at critical times to keep us in it... if the team hit just one more free throw or layup, we will in regulation!!! But it is what it is. I still support our Huskies and am excited for what next year will bring. GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Outside of one 5 minute spurt in the 2nd qtr Chong was a big negative too. Her and nurse were both awful defensively.

The msu defense didn't cause those uncontested layups or FTs to be missed.

I gave her credit for that solid 5 minute spurt in the 2nd quarter.

. And the fact that she never realized that William had less than zero interest in going left was also a problem.

The reality is those last 30 seconds were a summation of Chong's first 3 years in the program.
low basketball IQ
poor shot selection
abysmal defense

Points in the paint-MS 28,UCONN 20. Points off turnovers-MS 12,UCONN 10.
2nd chance points-MS 18,UCONN 4. Fast break points-MS 7,UCONN 4.
Bench points-MS 12,UCONN 1. Score tied-11 times. Lead changed-6 times.
Last FG-MS OT-00:00, UCONN OT-01:35.
Largest lead-MS by 16 2nd-07:36, UCONN by 3 4th-02:30.
MS led for 31:14. UCONN led for 02:57. Game was tied for 10:49.

Your bashing of Chong is totally unwarranted and silly to the point of saying Geno was ignorant for having her on the floor. This was a TEAM loss and a win by a deserving team that should not be discounted. To agree with your statement is saying Geno has a low basketball IQ.
You have hammered the team in post after post with mostly statements lacking knowledge of the game or the team whatsoever...... BB IQ?
"But she had no chance against MSU's guards" you finally admit there was another team on the floor....

Reaction Score
Miss St controlled the tempo by having William slowly bring the ball up. UConn's failure was to counter that by pressing and getting the ball out of William's hands. Of course the danger is UConn would get tired (as it seemed they where even without pressing), but it was the only thing that could have "messed" up Miss St game plan. In retrospect, that is what I would have wanted to see. I was disappointed they did not try that.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The reality is those last 30 seconds were a summation of Chong's first 3 years in the program.

low basketball IQ
poor shot selection
abysmal defense

Do you feel better now? Does posting this kind of rubbish make you appreciate that person you see in the mirror? Sheesh.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Do you feel better now? Does posting this kind of rubbish make you appreciate that person you see in the mirror? Sheesh.

Factual assessments of a player's abilities is rubbish?

I'm sorry, i guess every player is perfect, has no holes in their game, and whoever started the what do you think the returning players need to improve upon thread is just outside their mind crazy.

That sound better?

Reaction Score
It wasn't there entire game, she definitely made a few adjustments late in the 4th. Hit some big shots. No doubting that.

but most of the game she was standing in that corner or wing area just waiting for someone to throw her the ball.

And no one (not just KLS) ran many backdoor cuts, when their defensive style was begging for those to be run for many easy baskets.
I think to an extent, she is reactive most of the time to her teammates movements and if they're inactive, that creates a completely new environment for her to deal with. I guess you'd call it a "flow offense" that Geno has. In any case, I think there were a lot of people that diminished what she did in that game, particularly in the second half.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think to an extent, she is reactive most of the time to her teammates movements and if they're inactive, that creates a completely new environment for her to deal with. I guess you'd call it a "flow offense" that Geno has. In any case, I think there were a lot of people that diminished what she did in that game, particularly in the second half.

The only person who looked comfortable on the offensive end was Gabby. So you're probably on to something.

Reaction Score
Factual assessments of a player's abilities is rubbish?

I'm sorry, i guess every player is perfect, has no holes in their game, and whoever started the what do you think the returning players need to improve upon thread is just outside their mind crazy.

That sound better?
I concur that there are people on this board who take every criticism of any of the girls for any reason as an attack on their own kids. It's like almost anything else, anything to the extreme is too much but what's wrong with a bit of constructive criticism. These kids are just that, not robots and they make mistakes and have flaws but to mention them is verboten. Saniya would probably tell you that a whole lot of her three years here was affected by a lack of confidence and a bit of intimidation but what should be noted is that she started really turning the corner part way through her junior year and was very solid and a pretty big contributor to the success of this team this year. I still think there are people around who think every kid deserves a trophy at the end of each season so they don't take things personally and as has been mentioned, that thinking is a little extreme. I think every team member contributes something and that should be noted and respected but some kids are more talented and are more intuitive and have better instincts and make better decisions under pressure while others fall short. That is reality, isn't it?

the Q

Reaction Score
I concur that there are people on this board who take every criticism of any of the girls for any reason as an attack on their own kids. It's like almost anything else, anything to the extreme is too much but what's wrong with a bit of constructive criticism. These kids are just that, not robots and they make mistakes and have flaws but to mention them is verboten. Saniya would probably tell you that a whole lot of her three years here was affected by a lack of confidence and a bit of intimidation but what should be noted is that she started really turning the corner part way through her junior year and was very solid and a pretty big contributor to the success of this team this year. I still think there are people around who think every kid deserves a trophy at the end of each season so they don't take things personally and as has been mentioned, that thinking is a little extreme. I think every team member contributes something and that should be noted and respected but some kids are more talented and are more intuitive and have better instincts and make better decisions under pressure while others fall short. That is reality, isn't it?

Exactly. Well put.

It's just interesting comparing Chong to say, the Enoch discussions on the MBB board.

Reaction Score
Regarding constructive criticism of our players in this game, two points: (1) If we had scored three more points and won the game we would not be hearing any of it on this board. (2) It's fine to say that so and so should have done or not done this or that but the time is now passed and what you cannot see at this point is how the this or that you propose would have worked out. Maybe it would not have worked and perhaps MS could have countered it. But we don't know any of this after the game has ended.

One last point: I am quite certain Geno gave them plenty of criticism, constructive and otherwise, during the game.

the Q

Reaction Score
Regarding constructive criticism of our players in this game, two points: (1) If we had scored three more points and won the game we would not be hearing any of it on this board. (2) It's fine to say that so and so should have done or not done this or that but the time is now passed and what you cannot see at this point is how the this or that you propose would have worked out. Maybe it would not have worked and perhaps MS could have countered it. But we don't know any of this after the game has ended.

One last point: I am quite certain Geno gave them plenty of criticism, constructive and otherwise, during the game.

For the record, I did post during the 2nd half that win or lose UConn really doesn't deserve this game solely based on their poor effort up until that point.

But when you lose to a 22 point underdog, someone did something wrong. Especially since MSU frankly didn't shoot that well.

The defining play for the quality of that game was the chong play and miss st throwing the ball to their HC on the sidelines. It was just an ugly performance all around.

the Q

Reaction Score
While not possible because of how poor Butler was, but it really would've been fun to try and see Gabby guard Itty Bitty one on one. Frankly there's no on else on the floor i would've trusted to stop her.

I guess Geno could've done that for the final 15 seconds, but I also get why he didn't. No gonna question that one. I just really thought the above matchup would've been fun to watch in general.

If he had BC or Z available he would've been able to try that out.

Reaction Score
Me and others have thrown some pebbles/some stones at everyone other than Gabby (Gabby did all she could do)---
Here is what I sincerely believe---Miss St didn't do much to force UConn to lose! Which would normally mean UConn did something to cause the loss--UConn lost the game--but not by anything they could emotionally physically control.
Gabby missed Free throws and a couple of shots she normally would make--many with minimal defense on her.
Napheesa--during the season it became almost expected that she would make 100 percent or at least 90 percent of her shots--
and all of her Ft's---look at how many OPEN shots she missed---Saniya hit's typically 80 percent (or close) of her Free Throws
and too often missed both or at least one. Katie Lou and Kia had opportunities to take over the game and didn't---why???

Point of all the above---some emotional issue enveloped the entire starting 5---Nerves?? but to me it was less Miss St than UConn;s
emotions. I.e. UConn beat UConn.

If UConn plays that team in 5 more games---out of the six (including the FF) they will have won 5. Miss st was good but not that good.[/QU

Reaction Score
FYI - Saniya made 5 out of 6 free throws, so what are you talking about???

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
All Mississippi State did was benefit from UConn beating themselves. When the game went into overtime, Mississippi State was scared and Vic Shaefer was panicking, and kept calling time out. Did Morgan William hit the last shot, yes, but Morgan nor Mississippi State beat UConn.
Throughout the season Geno said if UConn have a bad day, they could lose. In the Final Four UConn couldn't make their shots, but Mississippi State wasn't exactly shooting the lights out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For the record, I did post during the 2nd half that win or lose UConn really doesn't deserve this game solely based on their poor effort up until that point.

But when you lose to a 22 point underdog, someone did something wrong. Especially since MSU frankly didn't shoot that well.
I think you don't understand what the odds mean. Oddsmakers aren't predicting a 22 point victory; they are predicting that bettors believe UConn will win by 22 or more. The odds are set so that half of the bettor bet for UConn and half bet against.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think you don't understand what the odds mean. Oddsmakers aren't predicting a 22 point victory; they are predicting that bettors believe UConn will win by 22 or more. The odds are set so that half of the bettor bet for UConn and half bet against.

Even if you go against that.

Look at this 538 article.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/uconn-just-got-a-shortcut-on-their-road-to-perfection/

That's a heavy heavy favorite by any spread.

UConn had to play absolutely abysmal to lose, which 6 out of the 7 girls who stepped on the court obliged.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Even if you go against that.

Look at this 538 article.

UConn Just Got A Shortcut On Their Road To Perfection

That's a heavy heavy favorite by any spread.

UConn had to play absolutely abysmal to lose, which 6 out of the 7 girls who stepped on the court obliged.
now you're talking statistics? I don't think you understand those either. They represent a spread of data, not one data point. That means that there are high points in the data, yes, but also low ones.

You keep trying to explain human behavior with numbers. That shows a stunning lack of understanding of human nature. This team is very young and was relying heavily on two 19 year olds. Most days I hope my 19 year old son gets up in time to go to his college classes. These are kids, human beings, prone to doubts and maybe a little fear. show me where 538 factored that into their calculations.

the Q

Reaction Score
now you're talking statistics? I don't think you understand those either. They represent a spread of data, not one data point. That means that there are high points in the data, yes, but also low ones.

You keep trying to explain human behavior with numbers. That shows a stunning lack of understanding of human nature. This team is very young and was relying heavily on two 19 year olds. Most days I hope my 19 year old son gets up in time to go to his college classes. These are kids, human beings, prone to doubts and maybe a little fear. show me where 538 factored that into their calculations.

I'm just showing there was a vast talent disparity.

It was the human element that cost uconn. the 19 year olds played like scared 19 year olds. It happens. The stage was a little too big for them this time.

Next year they'll probably beat MSU by 40.

Reaction Score
Don't look at stats if that's what you using---
look at the game, don't look at stats---that's what i was using---I have it recorded and have watched it a few times.

but if that's what you believe ---have at it---will it change the score---with Uconn win--will Geno stop smiling
NO NO NO!! Will Saniya get picked up by the WNBA at 26 Yes yes yes---ask her does it matter? the team needed 3 point ONLY 3 points ---and lost--GAME over--

the Q

Reaction Score

I'm a baseball guy. you don't wanna try to go about numbers here.

Reaction Score
Team 17 of 25 8 missed FT's --3 points needed to win---Game over---Geno will fix whatever went wrong
If you dwell on this for the summer---there is a play you can end up in ---how are things in the Bronx??

Reaction Score
All I know is Saniya saw the same huge lane to the rim that I saw. You could drive a Hummer through it.Unfortunately, the picket fence had a hole in it and I believe Morgan interrupted the drive. Senior Saniya had an opportunity to make a play and tried to do so. Did you ever watch Holly's pressers? She constantly states we didn't make any plays.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
All Mississippi State did was benefit from UConn beating themselves. When the game went into overtime, Mississippi State was scared and Vic Shaefer was panicking, and kept calling time out. Did Morgan William hit the last shot, yes, but Morgan nor Mississippi State beat UConn.
Throughout the season Geno said if UConn have a bad day, they could lose. In the Final Four UConn couldn't make their shots, but Mississippi State wasn't exactly shooting the lights out.
Geno didn't always talk about a bad day. He said every week- if we don't play great- that they would lose. That is a big difference!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom