What did Miss State do? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What did Miss State do?

Reaction Score
I was at the game, and it took me awhile to watch the DVD version. Looking at the loss from a numbers perspective led me to this conclusion. Miss State was up by 16 (29-13) at the 7:36 point in the 2nd quarter. For the remainder of the game 23:34, UConn outscored the Bulldogs 47-31, even though they were certainly not playing even their "C" game. Now for only 2 "what ifs"; if that banked 3 pointer from the top of the key as the clock ran out was not good, or just one of UConn missed relatively easy shots went in - game over. Sigh. till next year.

UMss St is good but not that good--Thank you ---third quarter proved Uconn--disproved Miss St---this was lost emotionally by a young team--missed tons of shot they always made--Collier shoots 100 percent often 80 percent expectedly--missed and then in the 4th quarter wouldn't shoot---it was like a hot potato

Reaction Score
First, I have to admit I have not seen the whole game. When it was live I was too nervous and peeked and then looked away! Afterwards I haven't had the heart to watch it.
UConn certainly did not bring their A game. But what was Miss State able to do better or differently than, say SCar who UConn beat without playing their A game?
No guts , no glory!! Watch the whole game---nothing will change--but you'll know what you don't know now.
Next season --record the BiG games---then watch them after you visit the By and find out who won---

Reaction Score
Miss St. did a good job getting into the passing lanes and William had a lot of good pressure on the ball. Gabby did a great job on McCowan, but you can only neutralize somebody 8 inches taller than you for so long. Gabby was jumping and fully extended for rebounds that McCowan was only having to hop for towards the end. We said size was going to be a problem all year for us.

In my opinion (which is worthless especially since it's in the past), we should have never stopped attacking the paint and gotten both their bigs into foul trouble early. They did this in the first half and McCowan sat for most of the half.. when she came back in the 2nd half they should have gone right back at her. Like wolves after a buffalo.. it's bigger, but the whole pack brings it down eventually.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
That "not pretty" is a very accurate description of what MSU did defensively. They put size 6'7" on the entry pass into the post, jammed the cutters and played close on the offside where the ball is supposed to go as a counter to a jammed cutter. They were called for their share of fouls but they never stopped.

This is the kind of analysis I like-- more X's and O's than the fan (and even coach) clichès: no heart, no energy, no hustle, didn't want it enough, etc. Coco, you actually answered OldAlum's very pertinent question: what did MsState do on defense. And Tomcat also noted how we could not move the ball from side to side, which also forestalls passes to cutters from the side opposite the ball as the defense has to shift. Curiously, too, we were not able to go back-door on defenders playing tight on our wings. As I looked at the replay, I saw cutters moving too early, before passers were ready for them, and some screens not set square to where cutters wanted to go. Case in point, our last offensive play, seen by many as Saniya's folly: I don't know if that was supposed to be a double screen, but Saniya set it up by taking a dribble toward the baseline; however, Napheesa's screen allowed an opening for William to slip through, and Gabby was not close enough to Napheesa to close the gap. Against a good defender, the margin of error is very slim.

At the beginning of the game, our first pass to Napheesa was intercepted because, she cut too early, before Kia was ready to deliver the pass, and Lou did not set her screen directly on Napheesa's defender. Again, small margin of error against a defender who obviously had been alerted to that UConn tactic.

One other technical matter, one that plagued and slowed our offense—the two key principles of the dribble. One, do not put the ball on the floor until you know where you want to go/what you you want to accomplish. Two, do not pick up the dribble until you are ready either to pass or to shoot. During the game, our offense stuttered because, with the normal rhythm and timing of the offense thrown off, we often picked up the ball and then had no pass open. The first principle is one that Crystal violates too often, perhaps like a nervous tick, and Lou sometimes falls into.

Geno, it has been said, is a details guy; no detail is too small. In this game, the young UConn players showed that they are still learning and mastering some of those small but crucial bits and pieces.

BTW, despite some defensive lapses (rebounding, allowing dribble penetration on occasion) our defense was, under normal conditions quite adequate. How many games has UConn lost while holding opponents to 60 points in regulation? MsState won the game in large part because they exposed small errors in our offensive execution. The good thing is that as these "kids" become UConn veterans, they will learn how to further minimize those errors. The coaching staff will insist on it.

Reaction Score
First, I have to admit I have not seen the whole game. When it was live I was too nervous and peeked and then looked away! Afterwards I haven't had the heart to watch it.
UConn certainly did not bring their A game. But what was Miss State able to do better or differently than, say SCar who UConn beat without playing their A game?

IMO Miss State was a bad matchup for this past UConn team. If you don't want to watch this game watch the UCLA game. LISTEN to the post game in which Geno says UCLA was a bad matchup. What do you take away from UCLA? they have an uber-quick ball-domain tremendous pg, and they are uber-athletic up front in which they are extremely tough on the glass.

In a way that is Miss State. UCONN could not turn over UCLA because the pg was too quick. As long as she didn't try to do too much UCONN couldn't force her into errors. And Miss State has a deep bench so foul trouble doesn't affect them much and they have size and very athletic all over the court. They are a terrific rebounding team - so that didn't allow UConn as much -- if they aren't turning the other team over and they are getting beat up a bit on the glass and as the game winds down they don't have a deep bench -- all these weaknesses are Miss State;s strength.

Too much half court offense and not enough getting out on the break. For a small team that got behind early and no deep bench-- it's a tall order.

Reaction Score
In no way did miss st beat UConn, it was UConn that lost the game. When a team is missing their foul shots and layups they don't deserve to win.
bizarro...no attack, but maybe your handle explains a lack of reality. When the clock reads 00:00 the team with the lower score has lost and in other terms been beaten.
Teams miss foul shots and layups because they are under pressure, that comes from the opponent. Give Miss St credit when due.
This years version of UConn far exceeded expectations of most that get it including the staff. It would have been the same if Tulane had been able to finish the deal.
Geno has said time and again that he wants tourney games in the 90's not in the 60's. Guess what....Miss St controlled the tempo.... game in the 60's.
You can phrase it anyway you want to, but they lost, were defeated, came up short, couldn't get it done, were overwhelmed etc. Basically they got beat.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

What did MSU do? I'm not one to make rash predictions, but the experience of the MSU loss will make an undefeated national championship run next year a very high probability. Only injuries could derail this train. We probably had the best roster anyway, now add this huge motivating loss to the equation.

Reaction Score
It was almost a perfect storm. MSU played great defense off the ball and denied the high low as some have already said. Also, Napheesa didn't play her usual game and therefore missed a lot of shots. The little bump off that she does again and again to get open shots, she didn't do much. It may have been the size of the defender. But without her doing her usual steady Eddie Morgan Tuck impersonation, things were much more difficult. I also think, however, that the officiating played in MSUs favor in that the calls were at times for very minor contact, especially in a game of such magnitude, which helps the longer bench.

All in all, MSU probably played their best game ever. They are a very good team, but on that day they played ferociously. In the next game, they played nowhere near as intensely and lost to a team that UConn beat on a bit of an off day. So, against UConn they contributed to their own win mightily. But UConn's unforced errors, poor shooting, lack of intensity, and weak decision-making all contributed to the loss. And the officials helped too.

Reaction Score
Being in a professional basketball arena, the scoreboard was huge and it broke down every imaginable stat. Halfway thru the fourth quarter I looked up and saw "fast break points" a big zero for UCONN. We make a living on FB points-a large part of our offense!
Plus we played at their tempo-ms st point guard would bring the ball down and just stand and bounce it until eleven seconds left on the shot clock. Not a recipe for winning!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple.

They played with heart and toughness.

6 of the 7 girls UConn played that night stained their shorts. Except Gabby, who was just incredible. Cannot say enough good things about Gabby.

MSU also moved on offense.

Lou and Nurse basically stood around most of the night.

And Nurse gave less effort on D once he shots didn't fall.

They also beat up uconn on the boards and flat out out-hustled them.

Bottom line, UConn played scared and soft, MSU played like the team who had been to 11 straight Final Fours. UConn played like the team there for the first time and was just happy to be there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple.
They played with heart and toughness.
6 of the 7 girls UConn played that night stained their shorts. Except Gabby, who was just incredible. Cannot say enough good things about Gabby.
MSU also moved on offense.
Lou and Nurse basically stood around most of the night.
And Nurse gave less effort on D once he shots didn't fall.
They also beat up UConn on the boards and flat out out-hustled them.
Bottom line, UConn played scared and soft, MSU played like the team who had been to 11 straight Final Fours. UConn played like the team there for the first time and was just happy to be there.
Here I was about to welcome you and suddenly you post reminded me of others that greatly offended.
UCONN WBB players do not stain their shorts. UCONN WBB players do not play scared and soft.

the Q

Reaction Score
Here I was about to welcome you and suddenly you post reminded me of others that greatly offended.
UConn WBB players do not stain their shorts. UConn WBB players do not play scared and soft.

They did for one single night.

It happens. They're young kids who let the big stage get to them. It happens. It happens to every school. Even UConn.

the Q

Reaction Score
UConn WBB players do not stain their shorts. UConn WBB players do not play scared and soft.

Bottom line: If all the other girls had played with the heart and toughness that Gabby did, UConn not only wins, they cover.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is the kind of analysis I like-- more X's and O's than the fan (and even coach) clichès: no heart, no energy, no hustle, didn't want it enough, etc. Coco, you actually answered OldAlum's very pertinent question: what did MsState do on defense. And Tomcat also noted how we could not move the ball from side to side, which also forestalls passes to cutters from the side opposite the ball as the defense has to shift. Curiously, too, we were not able to go back-door on defenders playing tight on our wings. As I looked at the replay, I saw cutters moving too early, before passers were ready for them, and some screens not set square to where cutters wanted to go. Case in point, our last offensive play, seen by many as Saniya's folly: I don't know if that was supposed to be a double screen, but Saniya set it up by taking a dribble toward the baseline; however, Napheesa's screen allowed an opening for William to slip through, and Gabby was not close enough to Napheesa to close the gap. Against a good defender, the margin of error is very slim.

At the beginning of the game, our first pass to Napheesa was intercepted because, she cut too early, before Kia was ready to deliver the pass, and Lou did not set her screen directly on Napheesa's defender. Again, small margin of error against a defender who obviously had been alerted to that UConn tactic.

One other technical matter, one that plagued and slowed our offense—the two key principles of the dribble. One, do not put the ball on the floor until you know where you want to go/what you you want to accomplish. Two, do not pick up the dribble until you are ready either to pass or to shoot. During the game, our offense stuttered because, with the normal rhythm and timing of the offense thrown off, we often picked up the ball and then had no pass open. The first principle is one that Crystal violates too often, perhaps like a nervous tick, and Lou sometimes falls into.

Geno, it has been said, is a details guy; no detail is too small. In this game, the young UConn players showed that they are still learning and mastering some of those small but crucial bits and pieces.

BTW, despite some defensive lapses (rebounding, allowing dribble penetration on occasion) our defense was, under normal conditions quite adequate. How many games has UConn lost while holding opponents to 60 points in regulation? MsState won the game in large part because they exposed small errors in our offensive execution. The good thing is that as these "kids" become UConn veterans, they will learn how to further minimize those errors. The coaching staff will insist on it.
Great stuff @Papa33. One other item related to the timing being off and nervous players. UCONN was unusually amped for this game, I am not sure why. I believe @HuskyNan was one of the first to poit this out in the game thread. Five minutes into the game Gabby dove for a ball that went out of bounce and Kara Lawson commented that Gabby was exhausted. Kara said she will recover because she is physically fit. I don't think Gabby ever recovered, not because she was not fit but you just can't sustain that kind level of being amped. I think that Gabby amped transferred to the other UCONN players who were physically less able to handle it & that why you see players moving before they were supposed to and into places they were not supposed to be in.

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm sorry the UConn WBB did not cover your bet.

I don't bet on college sports. They're kids. But they were 22 point dogs.

Reaction Score
There is an awful lot of analysis here and some of it hits the mark. The idea that we lost the game rather than MS won it is way off. They played well, especially their defense and to that I credit half the reason we lost. The other reason is that we had no big to match up with their 6-7 and 6-5 players in the post. Against Stanford, South Carolina's 6-5 A'ja Wilson had 13 points and 19 rebounds. Against MS she had 23 points and 10 rebounds. We had no one like her on our team and that was a very big factor in the loss.

Despite this, could we still have won? Sure. If we had made half of our missed lay-ups and foul shots that would have done it. In the OT Kia Nurse had two three point attempts that rattled in and popped out. If only one was good that would have done it as well.

It is 8 days ago and I am finally over the loss. It was tough. I hope the players have let it go as well, except for motivation for next year.

the Q

Reaction Score
There is an awful lot of analysis here and some of it hits the mark. The idea that we lost the game rather than MS won it is way off. They played well, especially their defense and to that I credit half the reason we lost. The other reason is that we had no big to match up with their 6-7 and 6-5 players in the post. Against Stanford, South Carolina's 6-5 A'ja Wilson had 13 points and 19 rebounds. Against MS she had 23 points and 10 rebounds. We had no one like her on our team and that was a very big factor in the loss.

Despite this, could we still have won? Sure. If we had made half of our missed lay-ups and foul shots that would have done it. In the OT Kia Nurse had two three point attempts that rattled in and popped out. If only one was good that would have done it as well.

It is 8 days ago and I am finally over the loss. It was tough. I hope the players have let it go as well, except for motivation for next year.

I respectfully disagree. They played well, but our girls just looked out of it from the tip.

Most of those layups were open ones. Many of the turnovers were completely unforced, and even them passing the ball out of the paint when they should've been shooting or going to the rim.

I'm more disappointed with the level of effort than anything else. You can have bad shooting nights. But the effort just wasn't there. Not like it usually is.

Reaction Score
I'm not an X and Os guy but, one of the players (I think) said they were admonished not to let UConn "play pretty". We're usually able to overcome attempts at disruption but, MSU executed their plan masterfully.

AFAIK, it was Morgan William in the post game presser relaying that coach wrote that [Uconn] plays pretty ball, 25 assists a game, so they had to guard and deny the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom