What Daniels Is Building On For Next Year | The Boneyard

What Daniels Is Building On For Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
His stats for 18 Big East games this season.

I don't know of many Uconn players who had numbers this good by their sophomore season and didn't continue progressing in to elite players.
Games 18

Minutes31.0

Pts. 13.5
Rebounds 6.2

FG% .472

3 pt FG% .341

FT% .726

Blocks 1.6

Reaction Score
His stats for 18 Big East games this season.

I don't know of many Uconn players who had numbers this good by their sophomore season and didn't continue progressing in to elite players.
Games 18

Minutes31.0

Pts. 13.5
Rebounds 6.2

FG% .472

3 pt FG% .341

FT% .726

Blocks 1.6
Gotta like those numbers.

Reaction Score
Ever improving. He's draftable right now, not sure about 1st round, borderline 2nd round pick. However, if he carries it over to next season, DeAndre can be a first round pick with a guaranteed contract. Some guys bite on this, but hopefully DeAndre doesn't. I think it's always better to return for a solid season & potential for a guaranteed contract than risk a 2nd round pick and a career in Europe or Asia.... Really, it's only another year. College life can be the most exciting time of one's life and athletes are cult figures on campus. Why take the risk?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He has had a great stretch over the last four games. Many have said that the needs to put on 25 lbs. of muscle but I don't see that happening with his body morphology. However, if he works hard on his handle and adds a significant amount to his strength, he could be a strong draft prospect next year.
Other, very thin forwards have had successful NBA careers (Tayshaun Prince comes to mind), but there haven't been as many very thin forwards in recent years compared to 15-20 years ago.

Reaction Score
He needs to work on his lateral quickness, ball handling and getting his shot off the dribble if he wants to play the 3, which is where is future is at in the NBA. He's a pretty decent straight line athlete but not near the likes of Rudy or Stanley or really any 3 in the league.

Reaction Score
besides what an improved DD does for the team next year, it should really help in recruiting if he can carry out this 5 game stretch over a full season, or be even better. KO has invested alot in LA/Cali and there are some studs out there in the upcoming classes, it would do a world of good for an LA kid like DD to blossom into a lottery pick/top 20 talent under KO's watch.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has had a great stretch over the last four games. Many have said that the needs to put on 25 lbs. of muscle but I don't see that happening with his body morphology. However, if he works hard on his handle and adds a significant amount to his strength, he could be a strong draft prospect next year.
Other, very thin forwards have had successful NBA careers (Tayshaun Prince comes to mind), but there haven't been as many very thin forwards in recent years compared to 15-20 years ago.
Prince was a better ballhandler - almost pg efficiency Prince was a more cosistant shooter from 15' - 18' and Prnce moved w/o ball like Rip did
Huge difference in these areas? Can DD get there? Sure but needs at least 1 more yr

Reaction Score
He doesn't need to bulk, just get stronger. Do Pilates or something.

Reaction Score
The best part is it's not just about the stats. It would be one thing if the guy just started making shots he was previously missing, but that's not it. You can clearly see it's clicked for him and the puzzle has fallen into place.

Reaction Score
I think he's finally realized how easily he can score the ball when he gets it in his spots.

Agree. Early in the year he lacked confidence when he got the ball and overthought every shot. Late in the year he put shots up with confidence. It's surprising how easily he can get 8-10 footers off in traffic. Nice high release.

Reaction Score
I would say, to be able to establish post position but not look to score each time instead find open teammates (cutters, shooters, etc.)

Reaction Score
I'm always surprised when he misses a shot, nice soft touch, today a few of his shots were front rim and the missed free throws oiy, he needs to add strength and some explosiveness. He's got alot of upside now he has to keep improving. We need the whole team playing with a chip on their shoulder next year.

Reaction Score
How is he not getting buzz for Most Improved Player? Quadrupled his points, doubled his boards and is just so much better. He was scoreless in last 5 games last year for crying out loud!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
How is he not getting buzz for Most Improved Player? Quadrupled his points, doubled his boards and is just so much better. He was scoreless in last 5 games last year for crying out loud!
My thoughts exactly, he's improved so much

Reaction Score
Arguably, with his tremendous upside, he will be the best player in a Husky uniform next year. If Napier returns, the two will lead UConn to to the Final Four. Don't discount Boatright. He may have nearly close of a Kemba-type year just based on his other-worldly athleticism. Needs to work on his decision-making and strength. In this year, he was the only player who could make his own plays toward the rim. But that may have prevented him from developing a half-court vision. In the last five games, Daniels showed he could be like Boat in those terms. But he has to work on his ball-handling skills. Not there yet , but getting there. I believe that Daniels gaining 5-10 lbs in the summer and fitness regimen will greatly upgrade his explosiveness and strength. In that summer, Kemba underwent such a rigorous fitness training that he wowed the Olympic crowd, including CP3 and Rondo. An assistant coach - Le Fleur - who went to Providence - was over-wowed by his strength. So it can be done. One fateful summer, that's all. The same principle applies to skinny Nolan, Facey, Brimah, Wolf, and Giffey. Samuels is already built like a running back. Guys, eat meat minus the potato/milk) plus unsweetened lemonade plus sea-salted water drink, and chia seeds. All cheap highly nutritious, inexpensive food.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Arguably, with his tremendous upside, he will be the best player in a Husky uniform next year. If Napier returns, the two will lead UConn to to the Final Four. Don't discount Boatright. He may have nearly close of a Kemba-type year just based on his other-worldly athleticism. Needs to work on his decision-making and strength. In this year, he was the only player who could make his own plays toward the rim. But that may have prevented him from developing a half-court vision. In the last five games, Daniels showed he could be like Boat in those terms. But he has to work on his ball-handling skills. Not there yet , but getting there. I believe that Daniels gaining 5-10 lbs in the summer and fitness regimen will greatly upgrade his explosiveness and strength. In that summer, Kemba underwent such a rigorous fitness training that he wowed the Olympic crowd, including CP3 and Rondo. An assistant coach - Le Fleur - who went to Providence - was over-wowed by his strength. So it can be done. One fateful summer, that's all. The same principle applies to skinny Nolan, Facey, Brimah, Wolf, and Giffey. Samuels is already built like a running back. Guys, eat meat minus the potato/milk) plus unsweetened lemonade plus sea-salted water drink, and chia seeds. All cheap highly nutritious, inexpensive food.
Funny how OC has disappeared into the woodwork. Up until the wrist sprain people were talking him up more than DD. Not throwing anyone under the bus. It's just how excited I am about what is coming back next season. Still everything depends on SN whose presence on the court is much more than the numbers he generates.

Reaction Score
^Why do people think you need to be a body builder to play basketball?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
^Why do people think you need to be a body builder to play basketball?
You don't need to be a body builder - you have to be strong enough to score with contact and not get tossed out of the lane on a rebound. The bigs (including DD) getting stronger are a must if they are going to make a deep run. Stamina and strength are huge at the end of games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
5-10 lbs of good weight won't hurt Daniels and would probably help him.

More important than weight is lower body strength so he can explode above the rim consistently.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You don't need to be a body builder - you have to be strong enough to score with contact and not get tossed out of the lane on a rebound. The bigs (including DD) getting stronger are a must if they are going to make a deep run. Stamina and strength are huge at the end of games.
I'm hoping next season there are enough players that DD can move to the three spot most of the time.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
This season, especially the last few games DD cemented his place in the dependable scorers for this team. The change in his play and confidence that took place I thought was going to happen last season, but the conditions weren't in his favor. Another year playing on a team like this he's just getting started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom