OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 39 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
Tornado warning just ended. 15 minutes of downpour, five of hail. High winds, but no tornado. Didn't lose power.

For scale, that raised garden is 7 bricks deep over where the wire tomato fence is. Six are underwater. And that's with a french drain built into the raised bed.
View attachment 52404

Fun times! Good thing I didn't drop down seed this week.

At the rate things seem to be going, you're probably better off waiting till after the locusts come through to put down that seed.

Reaction Score
So, had son wash car this afternoon. He's finishing up and comes inside to ask me to look at something.

Any parent of a teen driver knows what happens next.

He wanted to show me something he found on the car. Right rear tire with chunk missing on sidewall and wheel all scratched up.

He swears he didn't do it. His teenage sister also swears she didn't do it.

Car will remain parked until I can figure out where to get tire replaced.

So, Mrs. Diesel and I are engaging in PsyOps with them tonight.

It could be worse.

Reaction Score
So, had son wash car this afternoon. He's finishing up and comes inside to ask me to look at something.

Any parent of a teen driver knows what happens next.

He wanted to show me something he found on the car. Right rear tire with chunk missing on sidewall and wheel all scratched up.

He swears he didn't do it. His teenage sister also swears she didn't do it.

Car will remain parked until I can figure out where to get tire replaced.

So, Mrs. Diesel and I are engaging in PsyOps with them tonight.

View attachment 52412

Remember the Family Circus comic in the paper? Not me.

Reaction Score
We knew sooner or later the rural areas were going to get hit. Tourist, visitors and non locals seeking vacation or escape are bringing it in. Sadly the locals can't stop it, and hospitals are prepared.

Proportionately, this may become as big as the major cities.

'Not just a big city issue'

Per capita, it’s probably going to be much WORSE for those rural areas, because it will take many fewer cases to overwhelm a small rural hospital that may be the only one for 30-50 miles, maybe more.

Litchfield County has three hospitals in its borders: Torrington, Sharon, and New Milford. Between them there’s approximately 300 beds ( and for the sake of argument let’s say that hospitals in border cities like Waterbury and Danbury are at or over capacity). BUT, according to 2018 hospital survey data conducted by the state health strategy office, 2/3 of those are filled on average on a given day. So the number of new hospitalizations they can handle is about 100 (Or about thirty between them). If we hypothesize that 20% of infected persons will need hospitalization (and that’s probably overestimating a little bit, but not by much), that means that the capacity of the hospitals would be met with 500 confirmed infections.

There’s just about 190,000 people in Litchfield County. That means the county as a whole can be 100% over capacity (ie, 1000 total infected, 200 requiring hospitalization) with a 0.4% infection rate versus the total population.

That’s not a lot of people, all told.

Reaction Score
Per capita, it’s probably going to be much WORSE for those rural areas, because it will take many fewer cases to overwhelm a small rural hospital that may be the only one for 30-50 miles, maybe more.

Litchfield County has three hospitals in its borders: Torrington, Sharon, and New Milford. Between them there’s approximately 300 beds ( and for the sake of argument let’s say that hospitals in border cities like Waterbury and Danbury are at or over capacity). BUT, according to 2018 hospital survey data conducted by the state health strategy office, 2/3 of those are filled on average on a given day. So the number of new hospitalizations they can handle is about 100 (Or about thirty between them). If we hypothesize that 20% of infected persons will need hospitalization (and that’s probably overestimating a little bit, but not by much), that means that the capacity of the hospitals would be met with 500 confirmed infections.

There’s just about 190,000 people in Litchfield County. That means the county as a whole can be 100% over capacity (ie, 1000 total infected, 200 requiring hospitalization) with a 0.4% infection rate versus the total population.

Reaction Score

Yep, it becomes even easier for a relatively small number of cases to overwhelm rural or less populated urban hospitals when you consider ICU beds specifically compared to just beds in total.

And it’s already easy enough as it is.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Number of new cases is stagnating a little bit. Not shrinking, but slowing.

Reaction Score
No changes for the wife and I.

We live in a 55+ community in central Florida. No events have been cancelled. Friday night was a club dance. I played in the band - 9 instrumentalists and 5 singers. Over 300 people in the audience dancing away. Saturday night we had two performances of Herman's Hermits with Peter Noone. Dinner was also part of the package if you desired. Both shows were packed with 525 in our ballroom. Both dinners were at max of 80 people.

Sunday we traveled to a Barbershop Quartet concert. Another 300 people. Never was a thought of cancelling the event.

Our resturant and Bistro are packed every day and night.

Our travel club has cruises and European trips planned but no talk of cancellations yet. Our medical hospital across the street is giving us constant updates. Nothing near the crap being air on several new outlets.

Maybe because we live in a community of people that have been there, done that and got several t-shirts that there is no sense of panic or overreaction.
How are things there? Any precautions being taken?

Reaction Score
If a retirement community is not on full lockdown at this point, that is pretty negligent IMO.

Reaction Score

Patients are movable. So the portable 100 bed portable hospital already up in Middlesex County could help. There are also a couple of National Guard medical units in the state that can add some capacity with mobile field hospitals or use of existing armories.

What's more important is the learning that has happened since January. Test results have gone from three days to one day, to in some cases a few hours. They are on the verge of a 5-minute test results. That means earlier intervention and less hospitalization. Hospitalization has run between 10 and 20 percent. It also means earlier detection of potential hot spots.

Treatment studies are being run all over the country and all over the world. Many are showing some promise. If you can treat and release in a few days instead of two weeks that clears many beds.

The medical community will get better and better at this. FEMA will get better at distribution/delivery of supplies. And states will get better at inventory control and delivery. The later that these communities are hit, the more learning that will have taken place.

Getting smarter and being more efficient counts for a lot. And with luck more sunlight and moisture in the air will naturally slow the contagion. I would much rather be in a small town than a big city.

Reaction Score
My point isn’t really to say that it’s an unsolvable problem, because it’s not, or that rural hospitals are fated to become horrorshows with no way of averting the inevitable.

Just to say how quickly it can go tits up in a localized outbreak with a relatively small number of infections and the right conditions (and not even “black swan event” types of conditions, conditions that are within the realm of normality such as a city hospital being overwhelmed and not able to take on patients from the suburbs or rural exurbs), and that the prevention plan for a rural area really can’t be to say “eh, it’s a big city problem” and roll the dice when there’s an easy way to tip the scales in your favor.

Reaction Score
My point isn’t really to say that it’s an unsolvable problem, because it’s not, or that rural hospitals are fated to become horrorshows with no way of averting the inevitable.

Just to say how quickly it can go tits up in a localized outbreak with a relatively small number of infections and the right conditions (and not even “black swan event” types of conditions, conditions that are within the realm of normality such as a city hospital being overwhelmed and not able to take on patients from the suburbs or rural exurbs), and that the prevention plan for a rural area really can’t be to say “eh, it’s a big city problem” and roll the dice when there’s an easy way to tip the scales in your favor.
Several hospitals across the boroughs in NY are already well overrun. There was a picture that got out of nurses wearing garbage bags because they ran out of gowns.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Several hospitals across the boroughs in NY are already well overrun. There was a picture that got out of nurses wearing garbage bags because they ran out of gowns.

People who think rural areas will be worse per capita don’t understand how this spreads. It simply isn’t going to spread at all where people are apart and stay apart. The NYC metro area has 1/4 of the U.S. deaths. That’s no coincidence. Proximity to others is what is dangerous.

Safe: walking, biking, motorcycle, your own car
Not safe: cab, bus, train, plane, Uber/shared car

Now there are different risks in rural areas. The food supply isn’t as good. The hospital capacity is low and distant. A friend lives on Martha’s Vineyard and they are being inundated by fleeing New Yorkers, yet they already lack food and supplies. I could go to Vermont and probably be completely safe from the Coronavirus but I’m not sure I’d have food. Suburban Boston seems ideal. I have space enough to isolate and our stores are restocked well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Tornado warning just ended. 15 minutes of downpour, five of hail. High winds, but no tornado. Didn't lose power.

For scale, that raised garden is 7 bricks deep over where the wire tomato fence is. Six are underwater. And that's with a french drain built into the raised bed.
View attachment 52404

Fun times! Good thing I didn't drop down seed this week.
Time to grow rice.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Now there are different risks in rural areas. The food supply isn’t as good. The hospital capacity is low and distant. A friend lives on Martha’s Vineyard and they are being inundated by fleeing New Yorkers, yet they already lack food and supplies. I could go to Vermont and probably be completely safe from the Coronavirus but I’m not sure I’d have food. Suburban Boston seems ideal. I have space enough to isolate and our stores are restocked well.

I don't understand wth is going on in CT. Was texting with my brother in Danbury last night. He's not a hoarder so he finds himself unable to procure any toilet paper after trying everything from warehouse clubs to Honduran bodegas and everything in between. Looks like I'm going to have to UPS him a few rolls this week. Do stores not restock up there or is everyone simply filling up their basements with the stuff?

The hoarding appears over in Pittsburgh for the most part. I can get pretty much anything other than hand sanitizer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He literally says its because level of testing has dropped off...

The number of daily tests has plateaued at 110,000 tests a day. But that’s still a ton of tests daily. He’s watching the number hospitalized and deaths. In absolute numbers we see increases. In rate of change we see a slight decline. The curve is starting to flatten.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't understand wth is going on in CT. Was texting with my brother in Danbury last night. He's not a hoarder so he finds himself unable to procure any toilet paper after trying everything from warehouse clubs to Honduran bodegas and everything in between. Looks like I'm going to have to UPS him a few rolls this week. Do stores not restock up there or is everyone simply filling up their basements with the stuff?

The hoarding appears over in Pittsburgh for the most part. I can get pretty much anything other than hand sanitizer.

I‘m in Massachusetts. Not really finding Tyler Phommachanh or many other paper goods. Food supply is fine. What I’m seeing here is that stores closer to Boston are more often empty based on pictures from people. Further out we are ok. I think the Tyler Phommachanh just sells instantly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom