OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 40 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
Rate of increase in cases has slowed. Check Nate Silver for this stuff. It’s a lagging indicator though.
Not here in SD, we have accelerated to at least 70 cases a day

Certainly not in NY

Reaction Score
The number of daily tests has plateaued at 110,000 tests a day. But that’s still a ton of tests daily. He’s watching the number hospitalized and deaths. In absolute numbers we see increases. In rate of change we see a slight decline. The curve is starting to flatten.
On top of this, the curve flattening is like moving an aircraft carrier, results would be *very* slow. It's important to pay attention to these small changes and consider context.

Also if you're in MA and looking for a stocked grocery store - Natick Wegmans. Since it's attached to the now-closed mall, there's virtually no foot traffic. Two Saturdays in a row we've been there after 5pm, the store has been almost completely empty and well-stocked. Only a couple of paper goods items in short stock and some random meats sold out, but otherwise a breeze.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Getting back on topic of the OP, there is zero tolerance for food waste. There is no more "it's not enough worth saving" when deciding what makes up leftovers.
This was my first thought too. Like wow, all the food we let go bad in our fridge cause we felt like going out. Puts it in perspective.

Reaction Score
I could go to Vermont and probably be completely safe from the Coronavirus
This is frankly silly thinking this far into the pandemic. This will be everywhere in a matter of time. It’ll make its way through Wyoming. It’ll probably make its way to Alaska.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Right, the rate of increases has dropped off. The actual number of cases leveled, that would mean the rate of increase dropped.
His argument was that there were fewer positives because there were fewer tests. Insinuating that the only reason positives are leveling off is because we stopped testing as many people for some reason other than fewer people requiring tests.

Reaction Score
I don't understand wth is going on in CT. Was texting with my brother in Danbury last night. He's not a hoarder so he finds himself unable to procure any toilet paper after trying everything from warehouse clubs to Honduran bodegas and everything in between. Looks like I'm going to have to UPS him a few rolls this week. Do stores not restock up there or is everyone simply filling up their basements with the stuff?

The hoarding appears over in Pittsburgh for the most part. I can get pretty much anything other than hand sanitizer.

It is to a significant degree that supply chains tailored to “just enough and just in time” fulfillment haven’t quite managed to catch up with the increase in demand due to hoarding and panic buying.

It's a philosophy that came out of manufacturing but filtered its way "down the line" to where retailers are making use of it in their fulfillment management. The ideal is that rather than keep a huge amount of inventory on hand, you try and fine tune your order management to anticipate your needs and trying to get just enough inventory to fill the shelves and hopefully before the shelf actually empties.

I work for such a retailer (yes, we sell toilet paper; no, we probably still don't have any). Apart from product that we sell a large amount of during the course of a particular time frame, most product we don't carry any overstock beyond what's actually on the shelf. We also don't have a lot of broad capacity to "just order more"; ordering is done "at the register" (i.e. when product is scanned at point of sale) by the computerized systems that manage ordering and stock levels.

The manufacturers and distributors are also tailored to this.

Systems like this can usually handle small to medium increases in demand on a store to store basis. What they usually can't handle is a large spike in demand across the board. And demand hasn't seemed to abate lately (again, largely due to the hoarding and panic buying in the first place; when paper goods hit the shelves, people seem to jump on them before the pallet even gets off the truck).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
@kingdobbs Solid explanation. Thanks. Luckily, my store is the busiest in the chain and typically gets some quantity of everything, although current Tyler Phommachanh is single roll and limited to a couple.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don't understand wth is going on in CT. Was texting with my brother in Danbury last night. He's not a hoarder so he finds himself unable to procure any toilet paper after trying everything from warehouse clubs to Honduran bodegas and everything in between. Looks like I'm going to have to UPS him a few rolls this week. Do stores not restock up there or is everyone simply filling up their basements with the stuff?

The hoarding appears over in Pittsburgh for the most part. I can get pretty much anything other than hand sanitizer.

Is your brother in serious need or just trying to responsibly stock up? If in serious need I've got 12 rolls he can have and I live close by. Let me know if that would help.

Reaction Score
The simple fix is to ask someone at the store when they stock and would be a good time to come. Like the 7/11 around the corner, I know to go there Mondays and Thursdays around 10pm

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Is your brother in serious need or just trying to responsibly stock up? If in serious need I've got 12 rolls he can have and I live close by. Let me know if that would help.

sent you a pm

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
@kingdobbs Solid explanation. Thanks. Luckily, my store is the busiest in the chain and typically gets some quantity of everything, although current Tyler Phommachanh is single roll and limited to a couple.
hey Pittsburgh! u listening in on here? secretary of not throwing things out! lol. and as far as ct south, along the coast from say, westport up to stonington, if someone cannot fill a reasonable shopping list including hardware, alcohol, food, health supplies, and the like, well, that's on them, cuz its all there, including bath tissue in some places. and also first hand, its trickling back into the iga's and such across most of the hills and vales in new england. now, the last time I checked, folks seem to be running to here from the west and the cities, so we're gonna have to add that to the equation. it's lookin like I ain't getting no isopropyl alcohol at my supermarket anytime soon, tho. dang war...

Reaction Score

One of the bigger failures retail as a whole made in the ramp up to stricter social distancing and lockdown rules in many places, one which compounded with their "just on time" philosophy, was in not swiftly enacting and enforcing stricter "per person" item limits on certain goods.

For instance, the Dollar Tree in Florida that sold the paper goods in this viral video probably shouldn't have done that.

Perhaps the extent to which panic buying occurred couldn't have been anticipated to the fullest but I imagine many retailers are looking at writing up "panic buy playbooks" for the next go around.

Reaction Score
I'd like to thank all those people who are keeping civilization going by working in places like utilities, grocery stores ,or restaurants,plus the hero truckers doing double duty to keep those shelves stocked In the face of extraordinary demand. I‘m frankly amazed by how well the supply chain is doing.
If isolation is the extent of our inconvenience then we are wimps to complain.
Thanks AZ. From a self isolating grocery store worker.

Hoping you get well very soon! Also want to say I've always appreciated your insight on UConn BB

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have just ended my 3rd week of self imposed quartile. My son recently joined the unemployed line andwe both are at least 3 weeks into virus free ( amen). Just learned my younger sister passed away. ( Alzheimer’s). My last sibling, Iam The eldest
Sorry for your loss Nell.

Reaction Score
Tornado warning just ended. 15 minutes of downpour, five of hail. High winds, but no tornado. Didn't lose power.

For scale, that raised garden is 7 bricks deep over where the wire tomato fence is. Six are underwater. And that's with a french drain built into the raised bed.
View attachment 52404

Fun times! Good thing I didn't drop down seed this week.
Are you at the bottom of that hill? Can you drain it to the road?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom