OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
I am becoming very cognizant of what I'm touching in public. Was at the Mall in Waterbury and realized I was holding the rails on the escalators. My wife told me immediately when she saw me do this. Well on the way back up I touched it again, and jerked my hand like it was the 3rd line.

Have hand sanitizer in the car, but we have yet to stock up for Armageddon.

I'm somewhat cutting back on public places, and am becoming conscientious when buying groceries, shopping (touchy/feely), and even greeting friends. I so much want to go about my usual activities but this bombardment of updates (mostly scary stuff) has my mind so occupied when out of the house.

Also I have started to actually notice how frequently I am touching my face.

So crazy cuz a week ago, none of this was an issue.

Reaction Score
I'm always washing my hands, I'm a bit of a germaphobe. So its business as usual for and my family. Not too concerned, I'm more concerned about norovirus since I have a thing about puking.
Being a germaphope is the 'in-thing' nowadays and no longer kooky. I'm somewhat jealous right now.

Reaction Score
Being a germaphope is the 'in-thing' nowadays and no longer kooky. I'm somewhat jealous right now.
I've been for over 15 years. Not too overboard though. Always wash hands before I eat, sanitizer if cannot wash. Absolute no shoes inside my house. I make my kids change clothes when they get home from school. If my kids are sick I keep them home.

Reaction Score
I'm always washing my hands, I'm a bit of a germaphobe. So its business as usual for and my family. Not too concerned, I'm more concerned about norovirus since I have a thing about puking.
This is 100% me. Im one of those people that cannot eat until I wash my hands or use sanitizer. With that said, Im really not that worried about this Corona though.

Reaction Score
All of our professional travel is cancelled and large meetings are on line. Staying away from large gatherings. Washing even more frequently than before.

Reaction Score
The only difference so far is washing my hands for the recommended 20 seconds. I've always used hand sanitizer pretty regularly, keeping a bottle in my car and I usually use it after spending time in a public place. I too have started noticing how often I touch my face; a lot of quick nose or ear or forehead scratches. Last night my wife semi-jokingly asked me if I was still going to play in my rec league basketball games. I assume those will continue until the schools they're at are closed. We haven't avoided public places but we're homebodies for the most part and don't have children.

Professionally, I do consulting work and had my first client contact me today to inform me they're closing the office for the foreseeable future. I had another inquire about their remote capabilities. I imagine a few others will follow suit since so many industries have the capability for telecommuting. Precautions galore.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We live in a weird place, literally hundreds of miles from an interstate highway. So we're probably pretty insulated. But I'm in my 50s, I'm physically active, and I actually got pneumonia last year. (wtf?) So I'm paying attention to this with some concern, but not freaking out.

I'm way more diligent about washing my hands is the main thing. I think we subconsiously touch our faces too often to even get a grip on, so i forget that.

I've mainly focused on my 10 year old daughter. I asked her to just think for 1 school day, how many people and things does she touch. Who knows what you've just "shared". So wash your damn hands.. Well. She's a well adjusted kid, and has at least a rudimentary understanding of why i'm saying this, so the reaction isn't at all for her to panic. She's just finally started washing her hands,

Reaction Score
Because of my wifes medical condition, I have been super excessive about washing my hands for the last few years, But I realize that my hands are only as clean as the next thing I touch after washing. Thinkabout a simple thing like grocery shopping. You don't know how many people handled or sneezed/coughed near the item you just put in your cart.

Reaction Score
Not really any changes. My wife has always washed her hands a lot. So I'm catching up to her frequency. We still go to restaurants, the grocery store, gas station, etc.

Reaction Score
Cancelled our first meeting today. All after- school activities were cancelled. So we didn't have much choice.At Town Hall it is considered a hoax.
Wish people where somewhere between Armageddon and denial.
I mean at this point how can anyone consider this a hoax? Is the entire country of Italy lying about a nationwide quarantine? South Korea? Many others....Do people think somehow we are special and that somehow we are the exception and this is just something that happens to "other" people? The hoax people are dangerous because they will be the ones that facilitate the community spread. It's really a shame that people are so jaded nowadays that they think everything is fake or a hoax. Listen to medical professionals, not politicians on either side with an agenda. Even if you're skeptical to the extent of it, it's still better to be cautious than dismissive when lives are potentially at stake.

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Were looking at postponing a pending spring break trip Legoland. Im ok with the flight but going to see my 70yo in laws after 2 days at germ world seems like its becoming a worse and worse idea.

Admitted beard rubber here too. My knuckles are cracking from washing my hands.

Reaction Score
I noticed last year when at physical therapy that the therapists used rubbing alcohol to sanitize everything, Due to the fact that I have COPDand an immunity problem I used the sanitizing cloths that S&s provides but bring my little bottle of alcohol just in case. I read the hand sanitizers take 4 mins, to become effective but alcohol is almost immediate. It does make your hands dry and sometimes cracked but it is worth it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Also I have started to actually notice how frequently I am touching my face.
This is the money item. Get a handle on this and your risk of infection declines precipitously. For me my weaknesses I rub my eyes. That’s the habit that I have to break.

Reaction Score
Probably going to make a beer/wine run tomorrow so that we have a supply to last 2 to 3 weeks if things get shut down. The wife always has way more food than we need for a month. I don't understand people buying bottled water. Are they going to shut off the power for those on wells? No. Is the MDC going to shutdown" No.

Reaction Score
One other concern that no one has mentioned is pay. No work! No pay. So we decided to tightened our belts. No spending other than food and utilities. Pay only what is necessary. Don’t know how long this is going to last. China the gift that keeps on giving,

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm an elementary school teacher with a 10 week old daughter. My wife is a pediatric nurse who goes back from maternity leave 4/19. I'm not all that concerned about myself getting sick as a healthy 32 year old but I'm fairly concerned about bringing it home to my daughter. Hand washing about 20 times a day and changing before I touch my daughter when I come home.

I'm mostly concerned about the social ramifications and impacts on daily life, accessing food and supplies and what that could look like in 2 weeks.

I'm glad a lot of proactive steps are being taken towards containment. I'm just really really really hoping it has subsided before my wife is back at work.

Reaction Score
Postponed spring break travel plans for the summer. Took advantage of the lack of cancel fees and my wife and I thought we would enjoy everything better in the summer once this subsides. At least I'll be home to watch March Madness!

The school I teach at has been on overdrive preparing for remote-based school after students return from spring break. Spring Break starts on Monday, but I bet that we will have a staff-only day on Friday to prepare online curriculum and then have online-only school at least two weeks after our spring break, not seeing the kids til mid-April.

I teach in an wealthy international school, so family's often leave internationally during break. Our school is asking families to report their international and domestic travels with the assumption that a quarantine is likely when they return.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom