OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 33 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
US population = 327,200,000
327,200,000 x .6 (40 to 80% will catch it, call it 60%) = ‭196,320,000‬
196,320,000‬ x 0.014 (overall fatality rate) = ‭2,748,480‬ deaths.

Scary number but not a third of the population. It assumes no vaccine or treatment improvements. We are already hearing about some.
The BY scientists say any treatment is actually a death sentence. If it hasn’t long been a treatment for a virus that didn’t exist 6 months ago it will kill you.

Reaction Score
This is an interesting article. Hope the guy is right.
LA Times article
I hope he's right also. If this is the case why are we causing trillions of dollars of damage to our economy? So many people who lose their jobs are going to be put in a difficult place.

Reaction Score
As I expressed earlier and then basically called a jack wagon - it is very possible that mid-summer will be when much is normalized. That mid-summer is probably 10-14 weeks (I get 10 weeks is mid-june and that's not mid-summer but you get the point). Isn't China at about 10 weeks from first case to opening things back up. Is that correct, who knows, but it's real info based on an informed scientist's best guess versus me pulling something out of my hind end. The caveat is always that they worse case scenario continually, but that was the realistic perspective I got from my person.

As everyone knows, this isn't about eradicating, it's about containment and being able to properly treat those infected without crashing the medical infrastructure. This is not coming from my belief - it's coming from somebody I'm close with that is in this deep and is advising the government. I think I'm blessed and cursed to know them because I maybe get more than I want from them.

Economy will be rubbish, but will recover. Government, a combination of State and Federal, will have to be on the hook for unemployment and healthcare until normalcy returns because without those assurances things have a real chance to devolve quickly. The idea that this can't happen is absurd, it can. Will the populace now have the fortitude to be unselfish and not go stir crazy, that remains to be seen, and I personally have my doubts as we've all become accustomed to immediate gratification and almost the exact opposite of self-sacrifice.

I'm supposed to start a new senior level gig Monday and they are still working in office as of last week and I just told them today - I'll be at home even if they aren't. My wife just got treatment for two rare forms of cancer less than a year ago and we're being extremely cautious.

Wacky times.

Sorry for the screed.

Reaction Score
Louisiana is now in lockdown.

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards says his state has the fastest growing cases of coronavirus in the world.

Citing statistics from a University of Louisiana at Lafayette study, Edwards said the growth rate in the state was headed for a steep upward trajectory similar to what Spain and Italy have experienced.

He said Louisiana had the third highest number of cases per capita in the US behind New York and Washington respectively.

As of Monday, the state had 1,172 confirmed cases and 35 deaths as a result of the virus.

He said the figure of confirmed cases had increased from 100 to more than 800 in a week.

1584991193378.png

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards says his state has the fastest growing cases of coronavirus in the world.

Citing statistics from a University of Louisiana at Lafayette study, Edwards said the growth rate in the state was headed for a steep upward trajectory similar to what Spain and Italy have experienced.

He said Louisiana had the third highest number of cases per capita in the US behind New York and Washington respectively.

As of Monday, the state had 1,172 confirmed cases and 35 deaths as a result of the virus.

He said the figure of confirmed cases had increased from 100 to more than 800 in a week.

View attachment 52265
Was it going around during Mardi Gras?

Reaction Score

Maybe due to Mardi Gras coming in the period between exposure and symptoms? Certainly was not spread much by attending Tulane b-ball games.

Reaction Score
As others have said, I am deeply wary of drawing too many conclusions from China for two reasons:

1) They make up data.

2) They implemented utterly draconian measures that Americans would never tolerate (boarding up people's doors and locking them inside, etc.).

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how you think people will survive going a year plus without working. A 1000 dollar check?

I am not saying it is not going to be a tough recovery. I’m saying there will be a recovery. There will be a ton of measures taken to help those hit hardest, as there should be.

but saying the economy will never recover is not based on any measurable numbers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was it going around during Mardi Gras?

Yes, definitely. Italy, which has over 60,000 Chinese workers in the garment industry, was hit hard in part because so many of them went back to China for Chinese New Year, which was January 24th.

Reaction Score
Theres also an outside chance if the extreme did happen and it shuts down the country for year they freeze the entire economy like Denmark so things and people can still operate and live their daily lives
That ain't gonna happen.

Reaction Score
I am not saying it is not going to be a tough recovery. I’m saying there will be a recovery. There will be a ton of measures taken to help those hit hardest, as there should be.

but saying the economy will never recover is not based on any measurable numbers.
I see it being like our other bailouts, we'll pay out the major companies and they'll buy back stock. The workers and those who need it the most won't get nearly enough of the pie. POTUS is talking about bailing out the cruise industry which is insane. They aren't in the least bit essential, they don't pay US taxes and they're giant floating petri dishes to spread viruses.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I see it being like our other bailouts, we'll pay out the major companies and they'll buy back stock. The workers and those who need it the most won't get nearly enough of the pie. POTUS is talking about bailing out the cruise industry which is insane. They aren't in the least bit essential, they don't pay US taxes and they're giant floating petri dishes to spread viruses.

I couldn't enter another "like" so just reposted to say I wanted to post more "likes".

I'll add that I generally find people who take cruises (and I'll except Alaska, because how else you gonna see that?) as being the most intellectually stunted and uncurious people in existence.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Currently listening in on a conference call for school/town leaders with Lamont.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I got my hall pass today, allowing me to travel as an "essential worker".

It's basically an office memo that doesn't even have my name typed in and is basically only traceable to an employer, not an individual. I imagine that there are quite a few others with a similar document who will just make copies and hand out to all their friends and families. Not all that confident that this accomplishes much of anything.

Reaction Score
It should be interesting to see if the high humidity in FL (predicted dew points in the 70's over the next week or so) affects the spread in the weeks following...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It should be interesting to see if the high humidity in FL (predicted dew points in the 70's over the next week or so) affects the spread in the weeks following...

Is Florida different from other tropical regions where the temps and humidity have done nothing to affect the spread of the virus, like Brazil or Australia or Malaysia?

Reaction Score
I hope he's right also. If this is the case why are we causing trillions of dollars of damage to our economy? So many people who lose their jobs are going to be put in a difficult place.

That “if” is a pretty important word in the hypothesis though.

It’s not a guarantee that things WILL recover that quickly. Hell, it’s not even a guarantee that we will see the spread slow or disappear, we lift the restrictions on us and start to return to normalcy, and that will be the last we ever hear about COVID-19 until at least the next potential pandemic.

For all the talk about the “Philly did this, St Louis did this” case study during the 1918 influenza pandemic, it’s worth noting that St Louis saw a resurgence in December after the quarantine was lifted in mid-November, and they had to reinstate their lockdown after thinking themselves in the clear.

It is a very plausible scenario that we see a summer lull, only to see an outbreak return in fall and winter. It is a very plausible scenario that we get the virus MOSTLY contained but are basically playing whack a mole for the next year or so, where this week it’s Denver and Kansas City on lockdown but next month it is Minneapolis and Dallas, and the month after that it’s New York and Seattle all over again.

There’s basically no way to predict with perfect prescience what will happen. But generally speaking, it’s better to be wrong in the direction of overreacting than the other way around. A perfect reaction to an emergency situation will be virtually indistinguishable from nothing happening at all.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We have a “scarcity of testing materials” despite our increased capacity to test.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That “if” is a pretty important word in the hypothesis though.

It’s not a guarantee that things WILL recover that quickly. Hell, it’s not even a guarantee that we will see the spread slow or disappear, we lift the restrictions on us and start to return to normalcy, and that will be the last we ever hear about COVID-19 until at least the next potential pandemic.

For all the talk about the “Philly did this, St Louis did this” case study during the 1918 influenza pandemic, it’s worth noting that St Louis saw a resurgence in December after the quarantine was lifted in mid-November, and they had to reinstate their lockdown after thinking themselves in the clear.

It is a very plausible scenario that we see a summer lull, only to see an outbreak return in fall and winter. It is a very plausible scenario that we get the virus MOSTLY contained but are basically playing whack a mole for the next year or so, where this week it’s Denver and Kansas City on lockdown but next month it is Minneapolis and Dallas, and the month after that it’s New York and Seattle all over again.

There’s basically no way to predict with perfect prescience what will happen. But generally speaking, it’s better to be wrong in the direction of overreacting than the other way around. A perfect reaction to an emergency situation will be virtually indistinguishable from nothing happening at all.
So I see a shelf life on this of another month or so. Not that the pandemic will “go away” but people’s sanity and wallets will demand normalcy by the end of April. By that point we will know if you had it/if you recovered. I can see us trickling back to our lives. Schools in CT announced out until at least 4/20 (nice). I honestly think it’s ridiculous to announce that date when there’s really no way that happens. However, at that point people will hopefully be cognizant of being safe and washing their damn hands.

Reaction Score
So I see a shelf life on this of another month or so. Not that the pandemic will “go away” but people’s sanity and wallets will demand normalcy by the end of April. By that point we will know if you had it/if you recovered. I can see us trickling back to our lives. Schools in CT announced out until at least 4/20 (nice). I honestly think it’s ridiculous to announce that date when there’s really no way that happens. However, at that point people will hopefully be cognizant of being safe and washing their damn hands.

Public schools were already cancelled for the entire year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom