What are you binge watching? | Page 24 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

Reaction Score
Manifest - 2018-present. I saw this on last night and it looked intriguing so I started watching the first episode. It might be good but I can't tell yet so if anyone has watched it, please share. With Melissa Roxburgh you got no complaints.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just finished season 2 of Afterlife yesterday...I am a Gervais fan...and I agree that they have great characters on the show. And....it can be surprisingly moving.

Six episodes of After Life, the whole run, done. Still a great little show. Carried by the cast of oddballs.

Binged latest 6-ep season of After Life with Ricky Gervais. It's 6 half hour shows that are an acquired taste. One highlight are all the absolute oddball characters. They're all likeable blokes. Many laughs but then, you could fall asleep.
Just finished the first season of "After Life." I really like it. It's like "Curb Your Enthusiasm" meets "Ted Lasso."

I am resisting the urge to binge it because I want to digest what I'm watching, so I am only watching two episodes at a time. My wife binged all three seasons while I was away for a week in January and she loved it, but I think I'll appreciate it better if I can savor it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pennyworth. HBOMax. This is the story of Batman’s butler, Alfred Pennyworth as a young man. It’s really quite well done. I didn’t expect this. Reminds me quite a lot of the Avengers with Steed and Mrs Peel. Set in a similar period (if not our exact past) and has a similar feel. The lead actor is terrific.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Three episodes in on both Winning Time (HBO) and Dropout (Hulu). Winning Time is very entertaining and I strongly recommend it. Late 70's LA looks like a lot of fun. Dropout is a bit more cerebral, but also a good show. Amanda Seyfriend is one of the best actresses of her generation.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just finished S2 of Upload. Took a bit to remember what happened in S1, and I think this season is more slow-paced story-driven and less laugh-out-loud funny than S1 (although there are moments). But, the story really comes together at the end in surprising way, t hen ends with a dire cliffhanger that begs an interesting S3.

Reaction Score
Three episodes in on both Winning Time (HBO) and Dropout (Hulu). Winning Time is very entertaining and I strongly recommend it. Late 70's LA looks like a lot of fun. Dropout is a bit more cerebral, but also a good show. Amanda Seyfriend is one of the best actresses of her generation.

Jason Clarke so far deserves all of the awards for Winning Time. I like this show, although I find the Magic Johnson storyline to be a tremendous bore.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes. Severance has been good so far. Supremely intriguing and weird.

It looks like homework. I can handle one Westworld a season. Couldn't make it through Foundation or the Witcher for this reason.

Reaction Score
It looks like homework. I can handle one Westworld a season. Couldn't make it through Foundation or the Witcher for this reason.
it’s really not. Everything is cloaked in mystery but it’s not like it’s asking you to follow a million different threads at once.

Reaction Score
it’s really not. Everything is cloaked in mystery but it’s not like it’s asking you to follow a million different threads at once.

It’s a philosophical show about the work/life balance. Also they have to be in some sort of alternate timeline. The cars look old and ratty. One of the questions was “name a US State or territory”. That struck me as very odd.

And “birthing cottages”?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
An update on Pennyworth. It’s getting even better. Whoever runs this show must have been an Avengers fan. There is a scene with a female character that is straight from one with Mrs. Peel, as a bonus it involves Aleister Crowley. Some wild turns in this show, and let me say, now I know why Batman has some issues.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Finally got around to finishing Horace and Pete. Watched the first two episodes a year ago and really didn't know what to think of it. And now after watching all 10, still don't. Louis CK built a career on "uncomfortable", and this series is really dark for the most part. Production-wise, it's like the old Playhouse 90. Cast is outstanding, and there are many incredible interactions. But not much plot. Just interactions and more uncomfortableness. One critic called it a "situation tragedy". I think it was episode 4 that was simply Louie listening to a late 50s Laurie Metcalf having an affair with her 84-year old father-in-law for a half hour that was the epitome of cringey yet compelling. And a later episode where Louie has a one-night stand with a woman that results in a morning conversation over eggs about transexuals not having complete equality until a hetero man can have sex with a transwoman and not consider it being like gay sex was simply the best TV writing I can recall in 20-30 years. Say what you will about CK, but the man is a genius. Troubled, but genius nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Inspector Ricciardi on the PBS channel (Walter Presents) on Prime. If you don't know Italian you will have to put up with subtitles. Good detective series set in Il Duce's Naples of the 30's.

I have been watching a lot of really goo shows that are only available with subtitles: The Wall, Crimson Rivers, Astrid, Witnesses, The Paris Murders; all French with English subtitles.

Reaction Score
Can’t be worse than Invasion and Foundation.
I really really enjoyed Foundation. The acting and casting is terrific. The special effects is outstanding.

But I am an avid fan of the books. I reread the first book preparing for the series. The producers/director/writers changed some of the storyline and genders of some characters, developed a new storyline for others and I think did a marvelous job. I didn't read any of the prequels so some of it is new to me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Watching the latest season of Cobra Kai. Lots of stupidity. Including Larusso’s daughter, who needs to grow up. But the main takeaways.
  • there is no way Daniel Larusso born 1961 is married to that woman born1978. She’s so far out if his league.
  • Terry Silver has amazing hair and plays piano. Born in Hartford! I won’t look that good when I’m 60. Or now.
  • Hawk is a moron. He’s a nerd, becomes a freak loser jerk. Now he’s a fit athletic nerd again. That’s a win dude.
  • Robby is one of the least bright people in TV history. His dad is not far behind.
  • Johnny finally realized what he has in Miguel’s mom. Maybe he’s not completely stupid.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Watching the latest season of Cobra Kai. Lots of stupidity. Including Larusso’s daughter, who needs to grow up. But the main takeaways.
  • there is no way Daniel Larusso born 1961 is married to that woman born1978. She’s so far out if his league.
  • Terry Silver has amazing hair and plays piano. Born in Hartford! I won’t look that good when I’m 60. Or now.
  • Hawk is a moron. He’s a nerd, becomes a freak loser jerk. Now he’s a fit athletic nerd again. That’s a win dude.
  • Robby is one of the least bright people in TV history. His dad is not far behind.
  • Johnny finally realized what he has in Miguel’s mom. Maybe he’s not completely stupid.
Talk about overachieving, Hawk and Tory are dating in real life. Now that is definitely a win for him.

Reaction Score
Just finished the first season of "After Life." I really like it. It's like "Curb Your Enthusiasm" meets "Ted Lasso."

I am resisting the urge to binge it because I want to digest what I'm watching, so I am only watching two episodes at a time. My wife binged all three seasons while I was away for a week in January and she loved it, but I think I'll appreciate it better if I can savor it.
I watched most of season 1 and, quite frankly, got a little bored that it was the same old thing most episodes. He's depressed, he's a jerk, he's sarcastic and he's trying to snap out of it. I feel like we have pretty similar tastes so I'd ask, does it ever grow from there? Ted Lasso really took on a lot of layers over time and I can see Afterlife potentially doing that....I just got a little bored and trailed off.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I watched most of season 1 and, quite frankly, got a little bored that it was the same old thing most episodes. He's depressed, he's a jerk, he's sarcastic and he's trying to snap out of it. I feel like we have pretty similar tastes so I'd ask, does it ever grow from there? Ted Lasso really took on a lot of layers over time and I can see Afterlife potentially doing that....I just got a little bored and trailed off.
That's a good question and a fair point, and part of the reason I waited until the end of season one, because he does make a bit of a transformation in the last episode of that season when he sees that being miserable to everyone all the time is not making his life any better. So there is some growth there, especially as relates to his relationships with the key people in his life, and it changes the dynamic in a good way.

That said, I have now finished season two and am one episode into season three (the final season) and I told my wife the other day that I'm getting a little tired of his inability to snap out of his depression. She told me to "just wait" because she has already watched the entire run, so I am reserving judgment until then.

And so far it has stayed relatively formulaic, with each episode seeming to end with him watching videos of her and crying. I don't love that formula, but I like enough about the show overall to see it through.

To be clear, it's not as good as either "Curb Your Enthusiasm" or "Ted Lasso," but those are two of my all-time favorites and they are very different from each other, and I like that this touches on elements of both of them. He's as miserable, obnoxious and direct as Larry David, but he's also broken like Ted Lasso, and deep down you know he is a good guy who can help make others' lives better--if he can just get out of his own way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really really enjoyed Foundation. The acting and casting is terrific. The special effects is outstanding.

But I am an avid fan of the books. I reread the first book preparing for the series. The producers/director/writers changed some of the storyline and genders of some characters, developed a new storyline for others and I think did a marvelous job. I didn't read any of the prequels so some of it is new to me.
I’m not really thrilled with the changes to Daneel Olivaw who is a key figure in the Azimov universe. The core tenets of that universe are the three laws of robotics the first of which being that a robot cannot harm a human or through in action allow a human to come to harm. This version of Daneel violates that in the first season.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's a good question and a fair point, and part of the reason I waited until the end of season one, because he does make a bit of a transformation in the last episode of that season when he sees that being miserable to everyone all the time is not making his life any better. So there is some growth there, especially as relates to his relationships with the key people in his life, and it changes the dynamic in a good way.

That said, I have now finished season two and am one episode into season three (the final season) and I told my wife the other day that I'm getting a little tired of his inability to snap out of his depression. She told me to "just wait" because she has already watched the entire run, so I am reserving judgment until then.

And so far it has stayed relatively formulaic, with each episode seeming to end with him watching videos of her and crying. I don't love that formula, but I like enough about the show overall to see it through.

To be clear, it's not as good as either "Curb Your Enthusiasm" or "Ted Lasso," but those are two of my all-time favorites and they are very different from each other, and I like that this touches on elements of both of them. He's as miserable, obnoxious and direct as Larry David, but he's also broken like Ted Lasso, and deep down you know he is a good guy who can help make others' lives better--if he can just get out of his own way.
Are these 30 minutes? Is this too complicated to watch while I'm using the rowing machine?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Yes, there is a payoff at the end. But what kept me going was the absurdity of everything. Simply the idea that there's this publication that survives off of strange local stories that are either bizarre or mundane yet manages to generate enough ad revenue to pay several people, including a photographer who doesn't own professional equipment or have a professional approach and seems to take one photo a day and does nothing else. I just think that's hilarious.

The entire cast is unattractive misfits by TV standards, and "losers" by conventional capitalist society norms. The only pleasant thing to look at is Diane Morgan's boobage. The meetings on the park bench with the old lady are usually pretty good. Certainly every time Gervais looks at the tapes of his late wife it gets maudlin, but even with his negativity and apparent useless condition, he somehow gets you to root for him. He was good to his dog, so you knew it was in him.

Certainly not a favorite show of mine and it definitely shouldn't have gone beyond season 3, but it's different enough from everything else out there that I found it a good diversion.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Are these 30 minutes? Is this too complicated to watch while I'm using the rowing machine?
Yes, 30 minutes. I don't think it's very complicated, but I also don't watch any television that I care about while I'm exercising so I don't know if I am a good gauge for that question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom