What are you binge watching? | Page 74 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The Last Kingdom is fairly accurate historically, other than Uhtrid is not a real person. Alfred the Great actually did hide in a swamp for months after getting ambushed by a Viking raiding party at his capital at the time. That said, the historical record of the period is fuzzy because only about 1% of the population in England could actually read and write, so there are only a handful of records of what happened.

I always had to teach a class a year in ancient world history and western civ. I'm still surprised how little was mentioned about the Vikings in the book used.

Reaction Score
I watched the three seasons of the Vikings Valhalla on Netflix over the past couple of weeks. They make some effort to follow the real history of the time. They do a nice job capturing the feel of the period. But the story of Leif Erikson and his relationship with King Harald is made up. It is necessary as the series plays out like a buddy picture between the two as they travel the world. It exceeded my expectations. But my expectations were pretty low.

Reaction Score
Selena has a dry sense of humor. She's quite funny when she gets lines that fit her (Wizards of Waverly Place). I cut her some slack here, because it's really the first thing she's done since her Lupus diagnosis. She might generally be dealing with some stuff that comes through.

When the show came out I read some stuff about Martin and Short being long time best friends. I didn't know that. Evidently the three of them produced this show and I think it's a chance to work together and for Selena to get her footing again.
Only Murders in the Building
Just finished season 3 and it was extremely entertaining. I really enjoyed the Broadway experience and the cast was superb. I forgot that Selene sings "Calm Down," a song we heard every day last year. Martin Short was way above expectations, and Steve Martin was solid and at times broke out into his classic comedy.

Of note, Linda Emond starred in both "Only Murders in the Building" and "Death and Other Details," my 2 most recent binges. I don't think I knew anything about her until this past month and I gotta say, I would have never guessed she is now 65. I need to go back and view her prior work going back to LA Law.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I like the hoola hoop event. seriously

I don't get how most of these things become part of Olympic sports, but that was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't get how most of these things become part of Olympic sports, but that was pretty awesome.
Totally crazy good!!!

Maybe Snoop Dog ought to give it a go

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Started the new (and hopefully last?) season of Cobra Kai. 3 episodes in. Kinda feels like they've run out of stories to tell.
I finished what's available - Season 6 resumes on Netflix November 15. This few episodes ends with a little twist, and sets up more conflict in the coming episodes, of course. But you're right - they're running out of reasons for karate wars. Just fighting 'cuz that's what you do in a karate movie.

"There is no good and evil - only weak and strong."

-John Kreese

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I finished what's available - Season 6 resumes on Netflix November 15. This few episodes ends with a little twist, and sets up more conflict in the coming episodes, of course. But you're right - they're running out of reasons for karate wars. Just fighting 'cuz that's what you do in a karate movie.

"There is no good and evil - only weak and strong."

-John Kreese

I haven't gone back to it so far. They tried to redeem Kreese for a minute the previous season, but now he's back to just being the worst. Anyone else think Chozen has kinda worn out his welcome? Him and Johnny always butting heads isn't really very funny, and Johnny and Daniel already have enough disagreements with each other. I know Mrs. Larusso is ready for him to leave.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've been waiting for Bad Monkey (Apple) all summer. I've been reading Carl Hiassen's novels since 1986 and own all of 'em. I've always thought his comedic crime novels would result in great movies like Elmore's have, but that hasn't been the case so far. Striptease failed because of bad casting (or bad acting or a combo) and there hasn't really been another attempt even though there are a dozen books to choose from.

After two episodes, I'm very hopeful this is the time for Hiaasen to finally get his due. The dialogue is crisp, the characters ring true to the book, Hiaasen's South Florida setting is a character in its own right, and the pacing is good - the material is better suited to a miniseries than a 2 hour movies as there are many characters and many story arcs. Vince Vaughn and John Ortiz are great together, Michelle Monaghan is in a fun role, and so far the rest of characters aren't playing too broadly or are in on the joke (a problem with Striptease). For HIaasen fans like myself, this one is hitting all the right notes so far. Wish I didn't have to wait till next Wed for the 3rd installment.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Rewatching Silicon Valley on Max. Truly a funny show.

Reaction Score
Currently bingeing The Looming Tower on HULU. It stars Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom) & is about the competition between the FBI & the CIA to capture Osama bin Laden starting in 1998 and the failure of these two agencies to transparently share information. It insinuates that if they HAD shared intelligence the 9-11 disaster may have been avoided.
The Looming Tower
2018 HULU 1 season 10 episodes
I just finished this. It was pretty good. It received 8.0 on IMDB but I didn't think it was exceptional. If the events between the CIA and FBI are factual it is very disturbing. The cast was excellent. I'm now looking for my next fix.

Jeff Daniels plays John O'Neill, an FBI counter-terrorism expert who left the FBI to work as head of security at the World Trade Center.

Reaction Score
The Looming Tower
2018 HULU 1 season 10 episodes
I just finished this. It was pretty good. It received 8.0 on IMDB but I didn't think it was exceptional. If the events between the CIA and FBI are factual it is very disturbing. The cast was excellent. I'm now looking for my next fix.

Jeff Daniels plays John O'Neill, an FBI counter-terrorism expert who left the FBI to work as head of security at the World Trade Center.

I read the book. Interesting how they made it into a show.

If everyone read this book people would stop saying lots of nonsense about 9/11, Al Q and OBL.

Reaction Score
I've been waiting for Bad Monkey (Apple) all summer. I've been reading Carl Hiassen's novels since 1986 and own all of 'em. I've always thought his comedic crime novels would result in great movies like Elmore's have, but that hasn't been the case so far. Striptease failed because of bad casting (or bad acting or a combo) and there hasn't really been another attempt even though there are a dozen books to choose from.

After two episodes, I'm very hopeful this is the time for Hiaasen to finally get his due. The dialogue is crisp, the characters ring true to the book, Hiaasen's South Florida setting is a character in its own right, and the pacing is good - the material is better suited to a miniseries than a 2 hour movies as there are many characters and many story arcs. Vince Vaughn and John Ortiz are great together, Michelle Monaghan is in a fun role, and so far the rest of characters aren't playing too broadly or are in on the joke (a problem with Striptease). For HIaasen fans like myself, this one is hitting all the right notes so far. Wish I didn't have to wait till next Wed for the 3rd installment.

I watched the first two episodes. I think Vince Vaughn is great and carries the show. But it just seems like this isn’t new territory. Like there are lots of shows about rogues and man children.

The Fishing Guide/Captain badly needs to be Sam Elliott. Badly. As the narrator his voice is not good. It’s like oh whoop de doo, gee I guess it’s all part of the same story, it’s all connected. What a shocker.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I watched the first two episodes. I think Vince Vaughn is great and carries the show. But it just seems like this isn’t new territory. Like there are lots of shows about rogues and man children.

The Fishing Guide/Captain badly needs to be Sam Elliott. Badly. As the narrator his voice is not good. It’s like oh whoop de doo, gee I guess it’s all part of the same story, it’s all connected. What a shocker.
Pretty much no show breaks new ground these days, especially crime shows. What Hiaasen is known for is the absurdity of what happens in Florida between vanity, greed and stupidity. All his novels are set in Florida, he was a columnist for the Miami Herald for years and a lot of his plots and characters are based on really stupid crimes and political plots that he reported on. And that small matter is really what makes the difference for me between his books and others.

Granted, you can probably classify me as a fan boy, but I love Hiaasen's humor and sense of the absurd. And in pretty much all his novels, the "hero" is someone who's trying to protect the "old" Florida. So far, through two episodes, it's all there, so I'm delighted with it and hope it leads to more of his books being optioned for screen.

Reaction Score
Pretty much no show breaks new ground these days, especially crime shows. What Hiaasen is known for is the absurdity of what happens in Florida between vanity, greed and stupidity. All his novels are set in Florida, he was a columnist for the Miami Herald for years and a lot of his plots and characters are based on really stupid crimes and political plots that he reported on. And that small matter is really what makes the difference for me between his books and others.

Granted, you can probably classify me as a fan boy, but I love Hiaasen's humor and sense of the absurd. And in pretty much all his novels, the "hero" is someone who's trying to protect the "old" Florida. So far, through two episodes, it's all there, so I'm delighted with it and hope it leads to more of his books being optioned for screen.
Bad Monkey
Is this a one season deal? I need to binge watch, I'm not sure I have the patience to wait for the next episode anymore. I could probably do a one season show although I don't think I can get it on my tv anyway. Vince Vaughn is always entertaining in his kind of way. Especially when it comes to playing couples games.

vince vaughn motorboat GIF

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bad Monkey
Is this a one season deal? I need to binge watch, I'm not sure I have the patience to wait for the next episode anymore. I could probably do a one season show although I don't think I can get it on my tv anyway. Vince Vaughn is always entertaining in his kind of way. Especially when it comes to playing couples games.

vince vaughn motorboat GIF
Yes, it'll be one season, 10 episodes.

Reaction Score

Yeah. I gathered that. The Key Deer snd turtle references abound.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
FOYLE'S WAR available on Acorn TV through Amazon Prime. Episode One Season One is available free, just to get you hooked. First week on Acorn is free, $7.99 a month there after. 9 Seasons, four episodes per season, one and a half hours per each stand alone episode. Let me share another user's review, which is stated much better than I could:

Much more than a detective drama...
Foyle's War follows the life of a detective and his team based in Hastings in the south of England during the Second World War.

Although he is obviously called on to investigate crimes, the program deals with so much more - there is a real feel for what it must have been like to be in Britain when it stood alone against Hitler, when the outcome was not just uncertain, but may well have meant invasion and persecution. The period is therefore much more than a "backdrop". For instance, Foyle's son is in the RAF, and his sergeant was seriously wounded in Norway.

The scripts are intelligent, the plots engrossing and, with casts drawn from the cream of British actors, the performances are impeccable.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Foyle's War might be my favorite mystery show of all time.
FOYLE'S WAR available on Acorn TV through Amazon Prime. Episode One Season One is available free, just to get you hooked. First week on Acorn is free, $7.99 a month there after. 9 Seasons, four episodes per season, one and a half hours per each stand alone episode. Let me share another user's review, which is stated much better than I could:

Much more than a detective drama...
Foyle's War follows the life of a detective and his team based in Hastings in the south of England during the Second World War.

Although he is obviously called on to investigate crimes, the program deals with so much more - there is a real feel for what it must have been like to be in Britain when it stood alone against Hitler, when the outcome was not just uncertain, but may well have meant invasion and persecution. The period is therefore much more than a "backdrop". For instance, Foyle's son is in the RAF, and his sergeant was seriously wounded in Norway.

The scripts are intelligent, the plots engrossing and, with casts drawn from the cream of British actors, the performances are impeccable.
It's amazing. One of the best shows of any kind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom