What are you binge watching? | Page 75 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm excited for Slow Horses season 4, coming soon. This is such a good show, Gary Oldman is just brilliant.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A number of shows now on Netflix I wanted to try out. Watched 1 episode of "Monsieur Spade." Starring Clive Owen as Sam Spade in his later years, retired in France. It was glacially paced, I'm not sure if I'll try more or not.

Just got done with a couple episodes of "Into the Badlands." Interesting enough, I'll definitely check out more of that.

Haven't tried the other one yet, but it sounds intriguing. "UnReal" is a fictional drama that is a scathing critique of reality shows from what I gather, or maybe even an expose of how manipulative the producers of those shows are.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's amazing. One of the best shows of any kind.
To elaborate for those who don't know the show, Michael Kitchen is Detective Chief Inspector Foyle, posted to Hastings on the south coast of England during WWII. While the country is focused on the war, crimes still occur, some taking advantage of the chaos. Often these are complex mysteries, but over time there's also a pattern of sorts creating a larger picture leading back to London. Some are directly connected to the war.

Foyle is quiet, calm, entirely honest and incorruptible. He's smarter than pretty much everyone he encounters, but they don't realize it. So he's underestimated by criminals that see him as a cop stuck in a backwater part of the country. Yet the southern coast of England is rather important at this time.

Reaction Score
A number of shows now on Netflix I wanted to try out. Watched 1 episode of "Monsieur Spade." Starring Clive Owen as Sam Spade in his later years, retired in France. It was glacially paced, I'm not sure if I'll try more or not.

Just got done with a couple episodes of "Into the Badlands." Interesting enough, I'll definitely check out more of that.

Haven't tried the other one yet, but it sounds intriguing. "UnReal" is a fictional drama that is a scathing critique of reality shows from what I gather, or maybe even an expose of how manipulative the producers of those shows are.
Give Monsieur Spade a chance. I’m through 2 episodes and loving it.

I’m an action junky, but this detective mystery, although a bit slow at times, is splendid.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tried another show "Dark Winds." From AMC but now on Netflix, 2 seasons. Only watched 1 episode so far, but it pulled me right in. A lot happening, a bunch of threads that will probably come together eventually. A police procedural set during the 70s on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Tried another show "Dark Winds." From AMC but now on Netflix, 2 seasons. Only watched 1 episode so far, but it pulled me right in. A lot happening, a bunch of threads that will probably come together eventually. A police procedural set during the 70s on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico.

'Dark Winds is very good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just finished Wyatt Earp and the Cowboy War (Netflix). Really disappointing because of how inaccurate it is. The true story of this war is mostly pieced together through interpretation of various sensationalist local newspaper stories of the time and some interviews with participants that had a strong incentive to shade the truth. There are a lot of pieces of the true story that are unknown. But of all the articles I have read about that war, in none of them is Ike Clanton the puppet master like he is portrayed in this documentary. In real life, he was at best a senior foot soldier in the gang, with Curly Bill Brocious and Johnny Ringo definitely more leaders of the gang, much as they were portrayed in the movie "Tombstone". There were other leaders of the gang, but Ike Clanton was not among them. He is most famous because he fled, abandoning his brothers to be killed at the shootout at the OK Corral.

Johnny Ringo, who was likely the leader of the cowboy gang and a total psychopath in real life, is not even mentioned in this documentary. The documentary focuses so much on Wyatt Earp, and makes him this two dimensional killer, where most reports of him from the time describe him as charismatic, and the complex relationship between Earp and Doc Holliday is kind of glossed over. The documentary also inexplicably anglicizes Holliday's Hungarian girlfriend, who was also portrayed more accurately in Tombstone.

Despite what the documentary claims, the war continued after the threat of Federal intervention, and both the Earp/Holliday gang and the Ringo/Brocious gang had been deputized by various authorities. The war really ended with Brocious' and then Ringo's death. I had hoped the documentary would dig into Ringo's death, which is a mystery to this day. It was ruled a suicide at the time, but that was a politically convenient assessment given that the Earp side had won the war with Ringo's death, and was trying to escape without consequences from a body count that had gotten huge. The movie Tombstone posits that Holliday killed Ringo. It could have been Holliday, or Earp, or someone else from their gang, but I think there is no way Ringo killed himself. Prior to his death, his side was at worst even, and possibly even winning the war. I think it is unlikely that a soulless killer like Ringo just gave up in that situation. Yet the documentary kept elevating Clanton rather than discuss one of the most interesting aspects of the war.

I find that fictional portrayals in film and TV are often more accurate than Netflix docu-dramas, and this is another example of that. The movie Tombstone is both more entertaining and more historically accurate, and I recommend watching it again rather than this documentary.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

'Dark Winds is very good.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Horizon an American Saga Chapter 1. Currently streaming on Netflix with Chapter 2 due to launch in theaters soon. Not critically acclaimed, but I love westerns and Costner is great in his roles as director and actor.
IMHO.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Horizon an American Saga Chapter 1. Currently streaming on Netflix with Chapter 2 due to launch in theaters soon. Not critically acclaimed, but I love westerns and Costner is great in his roles as director and actor.
IMHO.

Sorry…it’s streaming on Max, not Netflix.

Reaction Score
Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime. Apparently it's a remake of a British show. Killer cast- Steve Zahn, Michael Imperioli, Romany Malco, Ben Chaplin, Billy Zane, Allison Tolman, Ted Levine.

Four old college buddies go to visit their friend in Belize and all hell breaks loose. Nothing great here but a pretty fun ride. Was slated for more seasons but it's just one season which seems to work okay because it's all pretty much wrapped up by the end of the first season.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime. Apparently it's a remake of a British show. Killer cast- Steve Zahn, Michael Imperioli, Romany Malco, Ben Chaplin, Billy Zane, Allison Tolman, Ted Levine.

Four old college buddies go to visit their friend in Belize and all hell breaks loose. Nothing great here but a pretty fun ride. Was slated for more seasons but it's just one season which seems to work okay because it's all pretty much wrapped up by the end of the first season.
Saw that…good watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom