What are you binge watching? | Page 73 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Got Amazon prime for a month and have always wanted to watch "Man in the high Castle". Love the concept, kinda half in on the actual show. Anyone watch the full thing? Watched the first season so far but was kinda dragging at points
I watched it all. Some moments are really taught, tense and impressively done. Some points drag a bit. But I think that is necessary to convey some of the more ordinary aspects of life despite what seems like a clear worst case scenario for American audiences. The acting is really good, especially Rufus Sewell. I also couldn't help but be attracted to Julia. The ending was somewhat anticlimactic, but I'm still glad I watched it all.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Got Amazon prime for a month and have always wanted to watch "Man in the high Castle". Love the concept, kinda half in on the actual show. Anyone watch the full thing? Watched the first season so far but was kinda dragging at points
Like a lot of time-shifting/alternate universes series, it can be a bit challenging to follow. But once you get used to that device and know the characters better, it gets pretty easy to follow. It's been a couple of years, but IIRC, I didn't "binge" the first couple of seasons, but did binge the last as the pace picked up.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Started "Geek Girl" on Netflix yesterday, now thru 7 of 10 episodes. She is as the name implies, picked on and bullied at school. Entirely by accident stumbles into the world of modeling and is starting a whirlwind ride as the next big thing. Enjoying it so far. It's definitely aimed at a younger audience, but hey if my parents watched it and liked it then I should be okay. It's interesting they didn't seem to pick up on it, but I'm fairly certain there are several hints she is neurodivergent, although it's not spelled out at this point.

Reaction Score
I watched it all. Some moments are really taught, tense and impressively done. Some points drag a bit. But I think that is necessary to convey some of the more ordinary aspects of life despite what seems like a clear worst case scenario for American audiences. The acting is really good, especially Rufus Sewell. I also couldn't help but be attracted to Julia. The ending was somewhat anticlimactic, but I'm still glad I watched it all.
Same...Sewell was vicious in his climb up the ladder. I too thought it was very well done but agree, the ending was a bit of a let down

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Same...Sewell was vicious in his climb up the ladder. I too thought it was very well done but agree, the ending was a bit of a let down
John Smith was a little like Tony Soprano to me. A very, very bad guy, but one who loved his family and showed some redeeming qualities towards the end. A fascinating antagonist.

Reaction Score
Poker Face
on Peacock per @Waquoit recommendation
Stars Natasha Lyonne as Charlie Cale who is a really interesting, unique, fun character. She's sexy in a very unique way. Season 1 was 10 episodes and they are filming season 2 now. It does pay homage to Columbo with the style of credits and so forth.
Charlie moves around and ends up in situations where she solves crimes.

"Poker Face is a murder mystery series stylized as a character-driven, case-of-the-week mystery,[5] with each episode adapting the inverted detective story format popularized by Columbo.[6]

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Franklin (Apple TV) is probably one episode too long, but is good and worth the watch. Douglas is excellent and more subtle than usual in providing depth to an interesting historical figure that is usually presented in caricatures. The French cast is excellent, particularly Thibault de Montalembert, who has tremendous chemistry with Douglas.

Reaction Score
Agree...I just finished ep 7 and felt that could/should have been enough. I am not finding the post-war negotiations as interesting as the previous episodes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Started the new (and hopefully last?) season of Cobra Kai. 3 episodes in. Kinda feels like they've run out of stories to tell.

Reaction Score
Bill Camp was outstanding, and Sarsgaard was a perfect foil.

The best part about the Nico DG actor is, here i'll copy / paste:

In “The Witness,” we finally see newly elected chief prosecutor Nico question a witness: Detective Rigo, who previously had been aligned with Rusty and who now must speak to his behavior when he was entrusted with Carolyn’s case, before he became the primary suspect in her murder. Fagbenle lets Nico’s voice drip with sarcasm and contempt as he mocks Rigo’s decision-making and digs into her ethical reaction to Rusty offering a felon early release in exchange for potential information about Carolyn’s death. With “Did you take issue with this attempted bribe? Did you take issue with this approach?”, Nico makes issue lively and mellifluous, even as he goes in for the kill.

The word is only two syllables, but Fagbenle elongates it. Miraculously, he simultaneously gives it a long s sound and a shushing hiss, as if Nico started out saying issue the British way and then changed it midway through to the American pronunciation. It’s like Sir Hiss from Robin Hood trying to go incognito Stateside, which isn’t that far off given that Fagbenle is an Englishman playing a Chicagoan. But the actor has played a Windy City resident before — President Barack Obama, actually, in the miniseries The First Lady — and absolutely nailed Obama’s unique cadence. As Nico, Fagbenle is doing something totally different, something weirder and more free-flowing, less connected to Chicago’s distinct accent and more born out of stagy arrogance and shifty cosmopolitanism. His issue being so divorced from any one specific linguistic origin isn’t a mistake, but a way to signal Nico’s cartoon-villain qualities. (The Ghostbusters EPA inspector obsessed with upholding bureaucracy was a vocal inspiration, Fagbenle says.) He’s a jerk, and Fagbenle is having a blast using his voice to communicate that.

Reaction Score
Bill Camp was outstanding, and Sarsgaard was a perfect foil.

The best part about the Nico DG actor is, here i'll copy / paste:

In “The Witness,” we finally see newly elected chief prosecutor Nico question a witness: Detective Rigo, who previously had been aligned with Rusty and who now must speak to his behavior when he was entrusted with Carolyn’s case, before he became the primary suspect in her murder. Fagbenle lets Nico’s voice drip with sarcasm and contempt as he mocks Rigo’s decision-making and digs into her ethical reaction to Rusty offering a felon early release in exchange for potential information about Carolyn’s death. With “Did you take issue with this attempted bribe? Did you take issue with this approach?”, Nico makes issue lively and mellifluous, even as he goes in for the kill.

The word is only two syllables, but Fagbenle elongates it. Miraculously, he simultaneously gives it a long s sound and a shushing hiss, as if Nico started out saying issue the British way and then changed it midway through to the American pronunciation. It’s like Sir Hiss from Robin Hood trying to go incognito Stateside, which isn’t that far off given that Fagbenle is an Englishman playing a Chicagoan. But the actor has played a Windy City resident before — President Barack Obama, actually, in the miniseries The First Lady — and absolutely nailed Obama’s unique cadence. As Nico, Fagbenle is doing something totally different, something weirder and more free-flowing, less connected to Chicago’s distinct accent and more born out of stagy arrogance and shifty cosmopolitanism. His issue being so divorced from any one specific linguistic origin isn’t a mistake, but a way to signal Nico’s cartoon-villain qualities. (The Ghostbusters EPA inspector obsessed with upholding bureaucracy was a vocal inspiration, Fagbenle says.) He’s a jerk, and Fagbenle is having a blast using his voice to communicate that.

Between the voice and the body language. Nobody has had an acting range like this since….

Val Kilmer.

Reaction Score
"Death and Other Details" is new on Hulu. 2 episodes available now, then will be 1 ep. per week. Solid start. Fairly classic detective genre. Always a pleasure to see Mandy Patinkin. I was unfamiliar w/ Violett Beane, but really enjoying her performance. Haven't seen much of Rahul Kohli since iZombie, I like him too. There's just something about Jere Burns, the man was born to play sleazeball characters. He was an excellent sleazeball in Justified.
Death and Other Details - 2024 -Hulu 10 episodes

I just finished last night and I really enjoyed it. 10 episodes and that will be it, the show was not renewed.

I like Mandy Patinkin but he was the most frustrating character in the show. His attempt at a British accent and his grumbling voice often made him very difficult to understand. It seemed they tried to make him another Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot but they could have just made him an American and it would have been fine.

I thought the rest of the cast were great. The story was intriguing and the setting on a restored ship was classic. Lots of surprising twists.

This was the type of show I think would be fun to watch with young teens. There wasn't any violence and it keeps you thinking about what happened. But then they threw in some gratuitous sex scenes which seemed out of place for the show. Sure there was plenty of eye candy but it didn't seem to fit with the tone of the show.

Anyway, I think the final few episodes made the show worth watching.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Death and Other Details - 2024 -Hulu 10 episodes

I just finished last night and I really enjoyed it. 10 episodes and that will be it, the show was not renewed.

I like Mandy Patinkin but he was the most frustrating character in the show. His attempt at a British accent and his grumbling voice often made him very difficult to understand. It seemed they tried to make him another Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot but they could have just made him an American and it would have been fine.

I thought the rest of the cast were great. The story was intriguing and the setting on a restored ship was classic. Lots of surprising twists.

This was the type of show I think would be fun to watch with young teens. There wasn't any violence and it keeps you thinking about what happened. But then they threw in some gratuitous sex scenes which seemed out of place for the show. Sure there was plenty of eye candy but it didn't seem to fit with the tone of the show.

Anyway, I think the final few episodes made the show worth watching.
I bailed after maybe eight or nine shows. Agree with your comments regarding attempted whom I generally like.

Reaction Score
Only Murders in the Building. Hulu. Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez all live in a nice Manhattan apartment. This is actually a really cute, funny and enjoyable show. Has a bit of mystery. If you are looking for something light, as compared to some of the very heavy stuff in this list, it could fit. Martin Short is really the funniest of the three leads in this. Steve Martin is the more restrained character. Selena Gomez reminded me of how cute and funny she was in Wizards. She needs to stick to things like this. It has been renewed for a second season.

Side question. Now that we don't watch most things as released, does cancellation impact your viewing. Are you less likely to watch say, Lovecraft Country now, since it was cancelled? More likely to watch something like Yellowstone (if you haven't) now that season 4 is confirmed?
Only Murders in the Building

I binged Season 1 and I thought it was good. Martin Short was surprisingly great. A very unique show involving a murder and other crimes. I watched because of the high rating and I thought it was entertaining enough. I'm not sure I will follow through the subsequent seasons but I know some on here have. I was disappointed with the ending and the show overall wasn't as good as I expected for a couple of reasons:
  1. The amateur sleuths would too easily change and dismiss their suspects. It seemed unreasonable
  2. The finale - I will discuss in the spoiler alert

Jan was a very disappointing suspect. The entire season revolved around the Hardy Boys clan, the 3 podcasters, the Dimas Sandwich family. Then they introduce Jan as a suspect at the end of the 9th episode. I was sure it would have been Oscar since he spent 10 years in prison and wanted revenge on Tim Kono, perhaps believing Tim pushed Zoe off the roof. There was no reason to suspect Jan at all based on the entire series, so that was very disappointing. Sure there was the bassoon cleaner and apparently the handwriting, but no motive at all. It was very anticlimactic and made for an awful ending.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Martin Short was surprisingly great.
I agree. I was so afraid that he would be too Martin Shorty. And I thought Season 3 was his best yet. Some of his deliveries are just hysterical. My advice is to stick with it and not get too hung up on the puzzle.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm rewatching season 1 of Serpent Queen so I'll understand season 2. I forgot how good it is.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm rewatching season 1 of Serpent Queen so I'll understand season 2. I forgot how good it is.
It's good. We started season 2 the other day.

Reaction Score
I agree. I was so afraid that he would be too Martin Shorty. And I thought Season 3 was his best yet. Some of his deliveries are just hysterical. My advice is to stick with it and not get too hung up on the puzzle.
Yes, I thought it would be too Shorty but I think he is carrying the show more than anyone. Took me a while to place it but Oliver Putnam is like a cross between Austin Powers, Bernie F o c k e r, and Cam Tucker from Modern Family. I think Mabel Mora character could be more entertaining, maybe it's because her character is sullen or that is Selena's personality. I haven't seen Amy Schumer in much but she is very good too. I'm cruising through because the episodes are only 30 minutes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes, I thought it would be too Shorty but I think he is carrying the show more than anyone. Took me a while to place it but Oliver Putnam is like a cross between Austin Powers, Bernie F o c k e r, and Cam Tucker from Modern Family. I think Mabel Mora character could be more entertaining, maybe it's because her character is sullen or that is Selena's personality. I haven't seen Amy Schumer in much but she is very good too. I'm cruising through because the episodes are only 30 minutes.
Selena has a dry sense of humor. She's quite funny when she gets lines that fit her (Wizards of Waverly Place). I cut her some slack here, because it's really the first thing she's done since her Lupus diagnosis. She might generally be dealing with some stuff that comes through.

When the show came out I read some stuff about Martin and Short being long time best friends. I didn't know that. Evidently the three of them produced this show and I think it's a chance to work together and for Selena to get her footing again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched 2 episodes of brand new Netflix series "Good Girls Guide to Murder." Stars Wednesday's roommate from another Netflix series.

In this a girl disappeared, she's presumed dead but her body was never found. A few days later her boyfriend confessed to killing her then his body was found.

Skips ahead 5 years later, the main character doesn't believe the boyfriend did it, so she starts asking questions and poking around. Promising so far. Set in a small town in England.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know Fargo has come up off and on in this thread. Somebody recently showed me a clip from one of the seasons w/ Timothy Olyphant. The whole time I was watching I kept think it was Justified. He's playing just about exactly the same character.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom