What are you binge watching? | Page 35 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

Reaction Score
After reading comments here I've thought about watching it, but I really, really, really can't stand Martin Short when he plays typical Martin Short roles. And I really, really couldn't stand that special that Martin & Short did together. One of the least funny things I've seen in the past decade.

So, if I don't like Martin Short, and I don't like what I've seen of Steve Martin & Martin Short together, is this something I have any hope of enjoying?
You don't like Martin Short? I wasn't expecting that. I've always found him hilarious.

Reaction Score
I understand but I find when I truly get into a show, I find it easier to enjoy the ride. Back when I was all-in on Justified, it used to frost me when they had an excellent yet relatively self-contained episode and folks would gig it because the overall story arc didn't advance much. So what, was my attitude.
Justified was great.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
On the other end of the spectrum, an absolute TON of stuff has gone down on the last 2 episodes of The Orville. Probably can't really say anything without spoilering it. Kinda felt like a season finale, but 9 is a weird number, maybe there's at least 1 more episode left this season.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes. Martin short is pretty toned down and Steve Martin plays the role relatively seriously.

Well, take that with a grain of salt, because, as I’ve noted in the movie thread, my sense of you is that you can be kind of a tough man to please. It is definitely a series that builds over. So you have to give it a few episodes.

FWIW, I mentioned it to my wife early on during the first season and she joins me during the “silent” show. (You will know it when you see it.) She wasn’t a fan but I convinced her to give one more show a shot and now she enjoys it.
OK, it was pretty good. Binged S1. Wasn't planning on doing the whole thing but I've got insomnia, lol. Short was tolerable, Martin mostly played it straight until the final episode in the elevator, and Gomez was surprisingly good in a comic role. Nathan Lane was great. Sting was hilarious. Think I'll wait a few days before taking on S2.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OK, it was pretty good. Binged S1. Wasn't planning on doing the whole thing but I've got insomnia, lol. Short was tolerable, Martin mostly played it straight until the final episode in the elevator, and Gomez was surprisingly good in a comic role. Nathan Lane was great. Sting was hilarious. Think I'll wait a few days before taking on S2.
Selena Gomez was really quite good in Wizards of Waverly Place. This is what she's good at. Not a dramatic actress and her music career relies heavily on autotune and dancers. I haven't started S2 yet buy enjoyed S1. Evidently Martin and Short are great friends.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Selena Gomez was really quite good in Wizards of Waverly Place. This is what she's good at. Not a dramatic actress and her music career relies heavily on autotune and dancers. I haven't started S2 yet buy enjoyed S1. Evidently Martin and Short are great friends.
I'll take your word for it. We don't have kids or grandkids, so I have no exposure to her. I knew of her as a singer but that's all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is "Only Murders in the Building" totally dragging this season? Pacing just seems off, and very little has happened halfway thru the season. They are even cracking meta jokes about the superfans of the podcast being disappointed so far.
Okay, maybe it is just me. I often feel like television shows take too long to get where they are going.

Seems to me they spent the first half of season 2 developing characters and the second half is more on the plot line.

Agree Season 2 seemed to drag through first three or four episodes but last two have been better.

I also have to figure out if I thought Season 1 was more fast paced because I didn't start watching until all episodes were out and I watched it in 3 days whereas now I get one episode a week.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You don't like Martin Short? I wasn't expecting that. I've always found him hilarious.
I could see why people wouldn’t. He can be over the top and you either enjoy that or you don’t. My favorite thing that he did is the movie Inner Space. It uses his talent for physical comedy well.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I also have to figure out if I thought Season 1 was more fast paced because I didn't start watching until all episodes were out and I watched it in 3 days whereas now I get one episode a week.
Similar for me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I could see why people wouldn’t. He can be over the top and you either enjoy that or you don’t. My favorite thing that he did is the movie Inner Space. It uses his talent for physical comedy well.
I liked Inner Space. My favorite thing he did remains this

CL82

Reaction Score
I liked Inner Space. My favorite thing he did remains this

Lol, it took me a second to remember this. Ha ha ha, talk about obscure.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just finished up The Bear and I enjoyed it. In a lot of ways the first season is almost like one gigantic opening episode as they develop back stories for the various characters. I’m really looking forward to the second season.
Just finished this. Now I’m sad it’s over and really want to see where they go with it in season two.

And now we need a new series to watch.

CL82

Reaction Score
Just finished this. Now I’m sad it’s over and really want to see where they go with it in season two.

And now we need a new series to watch.
C1D8B1AB-D87F-4F44-8E81-F6F9C8138C61.jpeg

Let me know what you set on. I’m looking for something to watch too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
View attachment 77910

Let me know what you set on. I’m looking for something to watch too.
The thing I’m most interested to know is whether the storyline or story arc for season two already existed before they were green lit, or whether it’s being made up on the fly.

CL82

Reaction Score
The thing I’m most interested to know is whether the storyline or story arc for season two already existed before they were green lit, or whether it’s being made up on the fly.
For what it’s worth I’m debating between Alias and the Big Sky.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They're gonna start a new restaurant, fall in love, be a huge success, and move into the Arconia.

CL82

Reaction Score
Obviously, at least some of it must’ve been planned given that the name of the new restaurant is the name of the show.

Started Alias. It was pretty good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Obviously, at least some of it must’ve been planned given that the name of the new restaurant is the name of the show.
I don’t disagree—and I was proud that I guessed the name before he posted it in the window—but the first season was pretty self-contained and also ended in such a way that nothing will be the same, so I am curious how much was thought out in advance.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree—and I was proud that I guessed the name before he posted it in the window—but the first season was pretty self-contained and also ended in such a way that nothing will be the same, so I am curious how much was thought out in advance.
Don’t forget his “bear“ dreams either.

Yeah, I have no idea how much was actually laid out but I have a feeling there might’ve been a template just because, as I noted previously, the first season pretty much establishes the characters back stories. It seems like it’s setting up for something.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Watched about half of Season 1 of iZombie last night. Haven't seen those episodes since they originally aired. I thought the show went way downhill toward the end and I actually quit before the end of the final season, but it started out good.

CL82

Reaction Score
Alias (2001)
Grad student also works at a bank which is really a cover for her working for the CIA, but it’s not the CIA really it’s another organization, but she is actually a double agent for the CIA. Confusing? Well complicated anyway and I’m only two episodes in.

This series reminds me of the USA network’s Covert Affairs which I watched for a few seasons and enjoyed. Jennifer Gardner and Bradley Cooper in a JJ Abrams produced show. You have to figure it’s got a good likelihood of being pretty decent. So far, so good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So Alias and iZombie, where are these available without buying them?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Season finale of The Orville was quite anticlimactic after the penultimate ep. Was kind of an interesting call back to an episode from Season 1 I had forgotten about. Also nice to see a quick cameo appearance from Halston Sage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom