What a recruiting season | The Boneyard

What a recruiting season

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The best part about this recruiting season is Geno's not finished yet. The next 2 years will be fun. Ive learned over the years to never question what Geno does. Why? Because we dont know whats going on behind the scenes and he know exactly what he's doing. Geno has qualifications that must be met for a kid to play for him and if they dont meet those qualifications he lets them go. He understands what it takes to build a team thats why he looks for certain kids. All those top recruits that went elsewhere concerned and placed doubts in some fans heads. Well it appears Geno knew who was in the wings and if he had gotten those other recruits, them we wouldnt have who we have now. Now the future looks very bright. If we get Fudd I say we could go undefeated for for a long time. Some of you who have been on this board for a long time remember my prediction when we got Maya EDD and Caroline Doty of 195-0. Well EDD transferred out and it still didnt turn out to bad. Well Im about ready to say with Fudd we could challange the 195-0 prediction all over again. With Paige and Azzi its like Diana and Sue. With all the bigs, muscle and talent along with our coaching staff well this team in the next couple of years is almost unbeatable and Im saying that thinking the coaching staff will have them ready. We will have height speed AA's rebounding ball handlers passers team players etc etc. We will have it all.

There were some posts concerning playtime for everybody. I remember when Shea and Sveta and a few others were coming off the bench and had no problems getting playtime because we were that good and that dominate. We look like we're there again. There may be alot more talent in WCBB however UConns roster over the next few years is far more superior then any all star team you can put together and only if we stay healthy and our players develop into the UConn mold. Im more then excited. Deberry was a player who we heard about a few years ago and it was said she was UConn all the way. That never changed. She followed a little bit in Stewies footsteps being from upstate NY and playing for Mike Flynn and the Belles. Much like Stewie who only wanted to play for UConn and nobody else Deberry seems to fit that mold.

Azzi Fudd will go where? Some are concerned she may not come to UConn. Well for me with the committments and verbals we have I find it almost impossible for her to not come. As good as she is and she is that good alone she cant go to another team and beat UConn. UConn is now in postion to win multiple National Championships and there is nothing any other team can do about it. Yeah flukes happen and UConn may loose a game in the future, however Fudd is a winner and UConn is a team of winners and is poised to make dreams come true.

"Champions dont show up to get everything they want...they show up to give everything they have."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What a recruiting season "so far". There is still 1 mega fish swimming in the pond and a bunch of major ones. UCONN WBB.....
1573310288640.png

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Glad I know how to screenshot post these days!

Reaction Score
What's with this "new" pessimistic Tonyc? He says with all this great influx of talent plus Azzi Fudd "we COULD challenge the 195-0 prediction all over again." Now I know the "old" Tonyc would have changed that "could" to "WILL" and added "and you can take that to the bank". I suspect that someone from another board is impersonating Tony to rain on recent parade of recruits!:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What's with this "new" pessimistic Tonyc? He says with all this great influx of talent plus Azzi Fudd "we COULD challenge the 195-0 prediction all over again." Now I know the "old" Tonyc would have changed that "could" to "WILL" and added "and you can take that to the bank". I suspect that someone from another board is impersonating Tony to rain on recent parade of recruits!:D
I think it’s our fault. Too many doom and gloomers here on the BY have rained all over Tonyc’s parade in its infected him like the flu.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
After studying the roster, I would like to see two more in the 21 class. Attrition (based entirely on today's player movement landscape), Evina's decision on how long she will stay and most importantly, how many good players that are still available in the class. Azzi is obvious but Jersey and Payton would also look great in a UConn uniform.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think it’s our fault. Too many doom and gloomers here on the BY have rained all over Tonyc’s parade in its infected him like the flu.

We do seem to have our fair share of Debbie Doubters and Chicken Littles here in the yard. Many of whom have a death drip belief on the principles of Murphy’s Law. They are however a very small contingent of our BY family.

I think the players that Geno has coming in the next two years will ease their fears and concerns, and will allow them to back away from the ledge. As others have mentioned, if we can get Azzi Fudd to commit, UConn will be poised to begin another extended winning streak. BTW, a 50+ game win streak would include a NC. I’m extremely happy with all of our recent commitments.

A tip ‘o the turban to Geno and his staff for a job well done in landing all of our recent recruits. Keep ‘em coming. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Listen, this isn't about "Debbie Doubters and Chicken Littles." Coach Geno himself admitted that he'd missed out on a number of recruits that he wanted over a couple of years. It was a recruiting drought. We (many of us) remember the recruiting drought that followed D's recruitment way back when. It ended when Tina Charles set foot on campus.

Many of us saw what Coach Geno knew: we had a lack of size. Not a matter of doubting or hand-ringing. Just a matter of seeing the area of weakness on the roster. Coach Geno went after bigs in a big way, and he's now brought in the most important big since- when? Stewart? Could DeBerry be magnitudes better than ONO? The second most important big since...when?

And he's done something perhaps even more important: he's created tremendous depth under the basket: So now we're getting together in the future ONO (6'4"?), DeBerry (6'5"), Piath Gabriel (6'5") in the front court. Plus he's got Edwards (6'2") and Poffenbarger (6'2") and Aubrey Griffin (6'1") backing them up.

So Coach Geno has transformed the team from one that this year is thin underneath with a lot riding on a single big to one that will soon be one of the strongest in the front court of any team in the country.

Great to see!! Sighs of relief!! Looking forward to the future!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While I love Tony's optimism, I disagree on a few points. I don't believe Geno "knew who he had in the wings". It's possible he knew kids he wanted and kids who were interested back (Bueckers, DeBerry), but after losing Collier, missing on Magbegor, Prince, Boston, Amihere (perhaps they parted ways early), Gusters, and Cardoso (yes I think we stopped recruiting her a while ago), he had to go all in on Olivia, had to look outside the top 100 for Gabriel, then went hard after Edwards and has always been in on DeBerry.

I don't think Gabriel would be part of the fab 5 class if we had landed Gusters, or Boston for that matter. Not sure we'd have Edwards if Lauren Jackson hadn't convinced Magbegor to stay home and say no to Geno.

As several have pointed out, Geno went to plan B - landed Gabriel, Edwards, brought over Adebayo, and now has landed DeBerry. The great thing about this (aside from the fact that Edwards and DeBerry are really good and Gabriel has nice upside) is that players like Griffin, McLean, and Poffenbarger won't need to play out of position like Collier did. When you look at the recruiting classes by year and eligibility:

2016 Danger, Irwin, Bent, Camara, Adebayo
2017 Walker
2018 Williams, ONO, Westbrook (that may change)
2019 Griffin, Makurat
2020 Bueckers, Muhl, McLean, Edwards, Gabriel
2021 Poffenbarger, DeBerry

Starting next year, UCONN is likely the favorite to win it all and will be for at least 2 years after that. Honestly I don't care about being undefeated or how long streaks last. IMHO they do slightly more harm than good - it requires management by the coaches to get the team to ignore the hype and constant questions by fans and media. BUT, if any team is capable of handling it, UCONN is.

2 last points. A player like Chennedy Carter, will never win a NCAA if they are not surrounded with other good to great players. In her first 3 years, aTm made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA's twice, and the sweet 16 last year. Maybe they make the elite 8 this year, but realistically, that's about their max upside. Had she gone to Stanford, UCONN, Baylor, or Oregon (or Notre Dame - not this year of course), she'd have been surrounded by better players and been a lot closer to a NCAA championship.

Fudd is a bright kid. As she surveys the landscape, I'm sure she knows - go to a "lesser" program and be THE star from day 1, but not sniff a NCAA trophy, or go to a place where you aren't necessarily THE star, be surrounded by greatness, and visit the white house numerous times in your college career.

Last point - i'm not concerned about too many good players. This may sound a bit unsympathetic, but the best players will play the most. They will work their butts off and earn PT, but they will also have to perform on the court.

Highly rated players like Johnson, Banks, Ekmark and Boykin, and maybe a few others (Edwards and Espinosa-Hunter likely left for other reasons as well), just weren't going to see the PT on the floor with so many good players "ahead" of them on the depth chart. The cream will rise to the top and if it's not enough for the other really good players to have a lesser role, they may end up transferring.

But when you have a roster of 12-13 players, not everyone may be satisfied with reduced roles, and losing the kids who aren't getting the PT to transfer, while tough on the fans, really has no impact on the success of the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
After studying the roster, I would like to see two more in the 21 class. Attrition (based entirely on today's player movement landscape), Evina's decision on how long she will stay and most importantly, how many good players that are still available in the class. Azzi is obvious but Jersey and Payton would also look great in a UConn uniform.
I couldn't agree more. Just want to throw out some more names that would do very well at UCONN IMO:
6'3" F Aaliyah Moore-A Morgan Tuck like player.
6'3" G Rayah Marshall- Some (not me!) have drawn comparisons to Candace Parker holding a UCONN offer 6'1" Saniya Rivers- Lightning quick defensive deamon & a bucket getter

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. Just want to throw out some more names that would do very well at UCONN IMO:
6'3" G Rayah Marshall- Some (not me!) have drawn comparisons to Candace Parker holding a UCONN offer 6'1" Saniya Rivers- Lightning quick defensive deamon & a bucket getter

"I want it all, brand new sock and draws!"

Reaction Score
The best part about this recruiting season is Geno's not finished yet. The next 2 years will be fun. Ive learned over the years to never question what Geno does. Why? Because we dont know whats going on behind the scenes and he know exactly what he's doing. Geno has qualifications that must be met for a kid to play for him and if they dont meet those qualifications he lets them go. He understands what it takes to build a team thats why he looks for certain kids. All those top recruits that went elsewhere concerned and placed doubts in some fans heads. Well it appears Geno knew who was in the wings and if he had gotten those other recruits, them we wouldnt have who we have now. Now the future looks very bright. If we get Fudd I say we could go undefeated for for a long time. Some of you who have been on this board for a long time remember my prediction when we got Maya EDD and Caroline Doty of 195-0. Well EDD transferred out and it still didnt turn out to bad. Well Im about ready to say with Fudd we could challange the 195-0 prediction all over again. With Paige and Azzi its like Diana and Sue. With all the bigs, muscle and talent along with our coaching staff well this team in the next couple of years is almost unbeatable and Im saying that thinking the coaching staff will have them ready. We will have height speed AA's rebounding ball handlers passers team players etc etc. We will have it all.

There were some posts concerning playtime for everybody. I remember when Shea and Sveta and a few others were coming off the bench and had no problems getting playtime because we were that good and that dominate. We look like we're there again. There may be alot more talent in WCBB however UConns roster over the next few years is far more superior then any all star team you can put together and only if we stay healthy and our players develop into the UConn mold. Im more then excited. Deberry was a player who we heard about a few years ago and it was said she was UConn all the way. That never changed. She followed a little bit in Stewies footsteps being from upstate NY and playing for Mike Flynn and the Belles. Much like Stewie who only wanted to play for UConn and nobody else Deberry seems to fit that mold.

Azzi Fudd will go where? Some are concerned she may not come to UConn. Well for me with the committments and verbals we have I find it almost impossible for her to not come. As good as she is and she is that good alone she cant go to another team and beat UConn. UConn is now in postion to win multiple National Championships and there is nothing any other team can do about it. Yeah flukes happen and UConn may loose a game in the future, however Fudd is a winner and UConn is a team of winners and is poised to make dreams come true.

"Champions dont show up to get everything they want...they show up to give everything they have."
[/QUOTE@TonyC
Good posting as usual. Geno has specific qualifications in talent, abilities, personality he won't change but nearly all others do change. I'll take back the TALENT part a bit. He does not fill all 12 slots (15 NCAA) with people that meet his top criteria that would be nice but proven not greatly workable. This year Aubrey, Ania meet his quals the others where do the fit? Speaking of those below the 6, is insulting and it bothers me but the statement requires confirmation. Exactly what are his requirements? No argument question.i
NO recruitment has not end it is a 24/7/365 function if uconn is to remain UCONN

q

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Listen, this isn't about "Debbie Doubters and Chicken Littles." Coach Geno himself admitted that he'd missed out on a number of recruits that he wanted over a couple of years. It was a recruiting drought. We (many of us) remember the recruiting drought that followed D's recruitment way back when. It ended when Tina Charles set foot on campus.

Many of us saw what Coach Geno knew: we had a lack of size. Not a matter of doubting or hand-ringing. Just a matter of seeing the area of weakness on the roster. Coach Geno went after bigs in a big way, and he's now brought in the most important big since- when? Stewart? Could DeBerry be magnitudes better than ONO? The second most important big since...when?

And he's done something perhaps even more important: he's created tremendous depth under the basket: So now we're getting together in the future ONO (6'4"?), DeBerry (6'5"), Piath Gabriel (6'5") in the front court. Plus he's got Edwards (6'2") and Poffenbarger (6'2") and Aubrey Griffin (6'1") backing them up.

So Coach Geno has transformed the team from one that this year is thin underneath with a lot riding on a single big to one that will soon be one of the strongest in the front court of any team in the country.

Great to see!! Sighs of relief!! Looking forward to the future!!!

Fairfield, I never said (or suggested) this was about the doubters or littles. I simply agreed with Oldude and acknowledged their presence.

Reaction Score

Very well said.

Reaction Score
While I love Tony's optimism, I disagree on a few points. I don't believe Geno "knew who he had in the wings". It's possible he knew kids he wanted and kids who were interested back (Bueckers, DeBerry), but after losing Collier, missing on Magbegor, Prince, Boston, Amihere (perhaps they parted ways early), Gusters, and Cardoso (yes I think we stopped recruiting her a while ago), he had to go all in on Olivia, had to look outside the top 100 for Gabriel, then went hard after Edwards and has always been in on DeBerry.

I don't think Gabriel would be part of the fab 5 class if we had landed Gusters, or Boston for that matter. Not sure we'd have Edwards if Lauren Jackson hadn't convinced Magbegor to stay home and say no to Geno.

As several have pointed out, Geno went to plan B - landed Gabriel, Edwards, brought over Adebayo, and now has landed DeBerry. The great thing about this (aside from the fact that Edwards and DeBerry are really good and Gabriel has nice upside) is that players like Griffin, McLean, and Poffenbarger won't need to play out of position like Collier did. When you look at the recruiting classes by year and eligibility:

2017 Walker
2019 Griffin, Makurat

Starting next year, UCONN is likely the favorite to win it all and will be for at least 2 years after that. Honestly I don't care about being undefeated or how long streaks last. IMHO they do slightly more harm than good - it requires management by the coaches to get the team to ignore the hype and constant questions by fans and media. BUT, if any team is capable of handling it, UCONN is.

2 last points. A player like Chennedy Carter, will never win a NCAA if they are not surrounded with other good to great players. In her first 3 years, aTm made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA's twice, and the sweet 16 last year. Maybe they make the elite 8 this year, but realistically, that's about their max upside. Had she gone to Stanford, UCONN, Baylor, or Oregon (or Notre Dame - not this year of course), she'd have been surrounded by better players and been a lot closer to a NCAA championship.

Fudd is a bright kid. As she surveys the landscape, I'm sure she knows - go to a "lesser" program and be THE star from day 1, but not sniff a NCAA trophy, or go to a place where you aren't necessarily THE star, be surrounded by greatness, and visit the white house numerous times in your college career.

Last point - i'm not concerned about too many good players. This may sound a bit unsympathetic, but the best players will play the most. They will work their butts off and earn PT, but they will also have to perform on the court.

Highly rated players like Johnson, Banks, Ekmark and Boykin, and maybe a few others (Edwards and Espinosa-Hunter likely left for other reasons as well), just weren't going to see the PT on the floor with so many good players "ahead" of them on the depth chart. The cream will rise to the top and if it's not enough for the other really good players to have a lesser role, they may end up transferring.

But when you have a roster of 12-13 players, not everyone may be satisfied with reduced roles, and losing the kids who aren't getting the PT to transfer, while tough on the fans, really has no impact on the success of the team.
How great a recruiting class is gets measured at the end of 4 years not the begining. As for Fudd, she will be the best player the day she goes anywhere. The reason she considers Uconn is 2 fold. First, great players want to strive to be at the very top. Not AA, but olympian Pro MVP, Hall of Fame type stuff, and the way to go from natural talent to great basketball player is Geno. His style of teaching the game teaches superstars how to be great within the team framework. That's the second point. Having talented players who can score themselves makes the great player greater. If you have to respect the other players great players you understand what it will be like in the pros when every player is great.

Reaction Score
Greed isn't merely good. When it comes to UConn, greed is gold. As for me I can only quote Oscar Wilde. "I have very simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best". ALL of the best.
Greed. While one may have too much money (we keep track by the numbers) Geno (for me) cannot ever have too many top top players. If the ncaa would allow 20, I'd take em. I't is

you used the PARKER name---oooooh. Or are we over that?? Parker was/is very very good. Talent is talent and should be respected. I didn't like her beating UC at home and it stung for a long while. I like your list. A 6'3 Morgan Tuck, WOW! If only!!
like money in the bank no one else can get at it but YOU. (until transfers)

Reaction Score
They need to infect a lot more if @Tonyc is infect with doom and gloom. Like top players --Uconn can't have too many Cheerleaders on the BY. --
(i GOT YOUR JEST)

Reaction Score

2017 Walker
2019 Griffin, Makurat

A lot to like in this posting. Way above highlighted Geno delivered when the chips were down. Until a kid is actually at Uconn I rarely count them as Uconn players so until Fudd is locked up I'll wring my hands. The second highlighted portion: Johnson was injured and never played or not long she departed supposedly to be with her sister. Banks a good player looked and saw what didn't happen she wasn't going to play the next year. As it turned out she had ample opportunity and was actually needed. Ekmark: Over hyped as a 3 point shooter and didn't fill the hype with action. Then injuries limited her time finally she saw the next year team on the wall and went home. Boykin left no lasting memory for me as is the case with Edwards. AEH left a big memory. She and Geno knocked heads. When an employee knocks heads with the CEO it shall never end well. AEH is a talented kid and is doing better than well in Miss St. Few of the above, except Banks, had a true issue with lack of PT the coming year.

Reaction Score

2017 Walker
2019 Griffin, Makurat

I wholly agree with you. One of the things I always hoped for was that Geno be a little more liberal with his substitutions. How many times have we been up thirty or forty points and most of the starters are still in there. But, on the other hand, I can't recall the last time I coached a National Championship team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom