What a recruiting season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What a recruiting season

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Fudd will both fall under this absurd requirement.
As did Jewell Loyd and Jackie Young and Chennedy Carter..... I'm surprised that you seem surprised by this.
The players don't have to leave. Sabrina decided to stay.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As did Jewell Loyd and Jackie Young and Chennedy Carter..... I'm surprised that you seem surprised by this.

Most people were stunned Ionescu returned.

I'm surprised because I thought the deadline date was draft day. Most high-quality players are going to forgo.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Jewell Loyd really was a turning point. I believe she was the first to declare for the W only three years out of high school. (Epiphany Prince had left Rutgers after three years for European pro ball.) As I recall, Jewell's departure was predicted by no one. Since then, we're all furiously looking up the birthdays of current juniors to see if they might declare in April.

I consider the cases like Morgan Tuck and Candace Parker to be different, where a player spends 4 years in college but only plays 3 due to injury.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Keeping all of the recruits is a very good question. Geno has traditionally complained year after year that the bench does not contribute. This may be the fact. However, Geno and his coaching staff picked that bench and the other outstanding recruits that became the starters and perhaps the one person off of the bench.

In terms of playing people that have been recruited, I kind of like the approach that Doug Bruno has taken with respect to platooning five players at a time. If UConn has chosen such a large group of elite players, then these players should be given an opportunity to perform. Just my opinion which is just worth Sh......t from the cow pasture.

Let's face, it the recruits who transferred were once regarded as very good players prior to their acceptance of a scholarship to UConn. Something happened along the way. Anyone can speculate. Unless a recruit is a top 5, nothing is guaranteed. But if a recruit is a top 20 why is that recruit potentially discarded? Why are not the flaws known before the scholarship offered? Say what you want, but why are offers made to Kyla and Molly? I do not know the answers and the only one that does is Geno, so your comments are not worth any more than mine on this subject.

Bottom line: people want to learn; people want to excel; people want to PLAY! They do not want to languish on a bench and be a spectator.
I've never heard of Geno "discarding" a recruit in his 34 years of coaching.

Notwithstanding the lower rated recruits who left (Phillips, Engeln, Gordon, etc), the "mid level" recruits (15-30 range) left for a host of reasons. Several were totally personal (Delle Donne, Walker) and the rest mostly because of lack of playing time...

1. Michala Johnson was injured, then behind Dolson, Stokes, and Tuck/Stewie.
  2. Brianna Banks simply never developed the ability to score and ended up behind Hayes, Doty, Faris, Hartley, then Jefferson, and Chong.
  3. Ekmark was supposed to be a great 3-point shooter. She was not, and wasn't fleet of foot either. Playing behind KML, Jefferson, Chong, Williams, Nurse, etc. there was no room for her to earn PT
  4. Edwards was a bit of a "problem child" as Geno was quoted as saying something along the lines of "If i tell a player to do something over and over and over again, and they don't do it, eventually they won't be here"
  5. Boykin was also not really healthy, and simply couldn't carve out a role on the team of more talented players.
  6. Coombs and Gordon - neither developed enough to earn PT
  7. Andra Espinosa Hunter - lots of stories swirled around regarding her departure and no one has officially told the entire story.
All the kids who transferred enjoyed some to moderate success at their new schools with the exception of Edwards who was a starter for USC and was a big time scorer for them. It remains to be seen how well AEH does at Mississippi State.

Nobody "languishes" on the bench unless either they haven't put the effort forth in practice, or they simply aren't good enough. IMHO there will always be debates over PT for players at UCONN. It's a common theme of people who complain about it here on the BY. Personally, I'd rather see the reserves play more, but i have 0 national championships and Geno has 11.

Additionally, not a single player who left was a starter and not already behind someone better on the depth chart. Some players develop in college, others not so much. The cream rises to the top. IMHO we will always be susceptible to kids in the 15-30 ranking range deciding to transfer - they feel they should be good enough to start, or play lots of minutes, but with so much talent at UCONN, it doesn't always happen.

Reaction Score
It is not 22 at the time of the draft. The rule is turns 22 in the year the draft is conducted.
Right. Do you know how old they are? If they turn 22 by 12/31/20 they are eligible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Right. Do you know how old they are? If they turn 22 by 12/31/20 they are eligible.
Who is "they"?
Megan Walker: 23 Nov 1998
Evina Westbrook: 28 Sep 1998

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who is "they"?
any one who turns 22 in 2020. Look, I read a post in another thread that listed eligible for the draft players. Westbook and Walker were listed as eligible and I trust the source. I tried to verify the birth dates of them both but USABB, that lists current team DOB's doesn't keep them for past teams. I had read another source that confirmed that Westbrook will turn 22 this year though. I wondered about Walker and maybe I'm wrong but you or someone needs to find proof that they don't turn 22 this year before telling me I'm wrong.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
any one who turns 22 in 2020. Look, I read a post in another thread that listed eligible for the draft players. Westbook and Walker were listed as eligible and I trust the source. I tried to verify the birth dates of them both but USABB, that lists current team DOB's doesn't keep them for past teams. I had read another source that confirmed that Westbrook will turn 22 this year though. I wondered about Walker and maybe I'm wrong but you or someone needs to find proof that they don't turn 22 this year before telling me I'm wrong.
USA doesn't lsit DoB, you have to go to the FIBA profiles. Megan Walker, Chennedy Carter,Evina Westbrook, & Satou Sabally are among the most notable college juniors that are 2020 WNBA draft eligible.

Reaction Score
USA doesn't lsit DoB, you have to go to the FIBA profiles. Megan Walker, Chennedy Carter,Evina Westbrook, & Satou Sabally are among the most notable college juniors that are 2020 WNBA draft eligible.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
that guard from Oregon seems to be pretty good and with the fine guard from Syracuse sadly unable to play this season I'll throw in the 5'5" point from Storrs as second best right now ..............

When you included a struggling Paige, I was thinking you are comparing next year's PG in WBB.

Reaction Score
When you included a struggling Paige, I was thinking you are comparing next year's PG in WBB.

I'd really have to do some research to see who the top point guards will be next season..........not many stand out like this year's class does........

Reaction Score
I'd really have to do some research to see who the top point guards will be next season..........not many stand out like this year's class does........

So maybe a struggling Paige could still be the best PG in WBB next year? :p

Reaction Score
So maybe a struggling Paige could still be the best PG in WBB next year? :p
very likely.......................as far as I'm concerned she was ready to run a college offense two seasons ago.....................now she's ready to run the UConn offense from day one.........

Reaction Score
I think Megan knows she’s not ready for the pros, so I don’t see her leaving early

Reaction Score
Maybe we should get the NLI before annointing her the next Queen of the Court..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom